Rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Rear spoiler

Looking for an aftermarket rear spoiler.

I want something that gives me more downforce then the tiny one that the SLK55's come with.

I've noticed at very high speeds the car gets a bit squirrelly.

Anyone coming out with a larger spoiler? CF preferred!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Looking for an aftermarket rear spoiler.

I want something that gives me more downforce then the tiny one that the SLK55's come with.

Anyone coming out with a larger spoiler? CF preferred!

Euroteck is releasing their carbon fiber spoiler in a week or so. It will work with their diffuser as well as front lip to provide more downforce... have some patience

You should lower your car as well, mine is much lower than stock and I can definitely feel the difference at high speeds. As far as Euroteck's kit, I will be the first one to test its improved stability at 180mph
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lowering

Yeah been thinking about it lately ... I've just been decently happy with the 030 suspension.

Which ones did you go with again?

Regarding the spoiler ... is it noticeably larger or is it just a replacement in CF?

Btw since you and I obviously love modding this car ... we really should see if we can figure out a way to fit 275s in the rear.

heh 180??? I don't think I have anywhere around here where I can pull that off. Not to mention after 160 it has that squirrelly feeling.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Yeah been thinking about it lately ... I've just been decently happy with the 030 suspension.

Which ones did you go with again?

Regarding the spoiler ... is it noticeably larger or is it just a replacement in CF?

Btw since you and I obviously love modding this car ... we really should see if we can figure out a way to fit 275s in the rear.

heh 180??? I don't think I have anywhere around here where I can pull that off. Not to mention after 160 it has that squirrelly feeling.
I think the spoiler will be much larger, similar to CLK63BS spoiler. It shouldn't take too much longer, we are planning a photoshoot in the next couple weeks that will showcase their complete carbon fiber product range for SLK55: front lip, rear diffuser, rear spoiler, and mirrors.

As far as suspension, I had the regular suspension, so for me lowering was a no-brainer. I believe the one I have is carlsson suspension (which is actually manufactured for them by bilstein). It is very low, see this pic:

As far as 275's, I don't think it will fit with a lowered setup. I had my fenders rolled slightly to fit 265's, otherwise it would've rubbed. Have you tried Michelin Pilot Cups in 265's? They are not bad... although I still have zero traction in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear, especially when they are cold Ideally, you would get 18's for maximum performance and there are many more tire choices. Pilot Cups is the only R-compound tire in 19's. It really makes sense to get something like Yokohoma A048 or Toyo Proxes RA1 or R888... they would hook up like crazy. I just don't like the look of 18's

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 05-14-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tires/suspension

I had pilot sport cups 18s but like you said we can't get traction. I just replaced the rears with BFG R1s. They treadwear is 40 vs 80 for the PSCs.

On my 19s I'm running Goodyear tires ... no rubbing at all with 265/30s. Thats one of my concerns ... if I lower the car I might get rubbing. I don't know how much you can roll the rear fenders ... the seem to be rolled already from the factory.

How much was the carlsson suspension? Could you please pm your price?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Yeah I see what you mean... but the BFG R1 you can't really use in the rain (we get a lot of rain here in south Florida ), while PSC is probably the only R-compound tire that is fairly stable in wet conditions. If you lower the car on 265's 19's, you will likely get rubbing, but like I said, you can roll the fenders slightly to prevent this

PMed you about suspension.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
I relly want to see the pictures of the CF spoiler, and the front lip for the SLK 55!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:49 AM

SLK 55 AMG
What kind of speeds are you talking about? I find that the SLK gets more and more planted as you go higher up in speed.

I had some extensive driving on the autobahn, and I found the car to be more stable at +200kph then at 100-130kph...

In fact, driving at 200kph in the rain felt more stable then at 100.

I think the SLK is generating quite a lot of downforce at high speed.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I agree with Shinigami WHEN the top is up. It is very well planted and confidence inspiring. Of course, I've always been on smooth roads at high speeds. I know SLK55R lives in the bay area and some of those highways really suck. Many that's why he feels it gets squirrelly.

I have only driven a couple times at high speed with the top down so I really don't recall how secure it felt.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
I got up to 155mph with the topdown the car is very planted, had the music on and windows up with the wind blocker and it was just perfect!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I've done 250kph top down and had no problems. I don't see what the issue would be regarding the SLK not being planted. I would check the tire pressure and alignment if it doesn't feel planted at high speeds.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM

2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
I too experienced an uncomfortable situation at around 140 mph when hit a small bump where the rear end skipped sideways a bit. The 030 suspension is quite stiff and I think it will work just fine on smooth European high-speed highways. But here in America, most highways are not maintained at a level to safely allow triple digit speeds. I switched from the factory 030 springs to slightly softer Brabus springs which not only helped with aero and look, but also with poorly maintained CA freeways. Safest bet is to just leave high speed runs for track days.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
[QUOTE=A' La F1;2893050]I too experienced an uncomfortable situation at around 140 mph when hit a small bump where the rear end skipped sideways a bit. The 030 suspension is quite stiff and I think it will work just fine on smooth European high-speed highways. But here in America, most highways are not maintained at a level to safely allow triple digit speeds. I switched from the factory 030 springs to slightly softer Brabus springs which not only helped with aero and look, but also with poorly maintained CA freeways. Safest bet is to just leave high speed runs for track days.[/QU

Are the Barbus spring are softer than the factory spring?? Also, how much lower are the Barbus spring? I am thinking to get a set of Barbus spring!!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 PM

2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
The Brabus springs are progressive and are a bit softer than the factory 030 performance spring on the first initial compression of the spring. For example when hitting a small pot hole or a slightly raised freeway joint. I have not driven a non-performance packaged slk 55 so I am not sure how they feel. As far as lowering is concerned, they will lower the car about 1 inch (keeping the same spring pads that are on your car now). I don't have any pics up yet, but there are a lot of cars on this forum that have been lowered on Brabus springs. I am very happy with the springs; both ride quality and height. Some folks like to go lower which can be done with changing the spring pad. The combination of these springs and 19s make for a very attractive AND functional upgrade for the slk.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
Brabus springs are just Eibach springs with a Brabus label slapped on and the price jacked up you will be better off just buying Eibach springs directly!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM

Yes, I heard a rumor they were rebadged Eibachs! When I purchased them 1.5 years ago, they were not available thru Eibach. Definitely get them thru Eibach then.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
Thank you guys! That's a good opinion!!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
Originally Posted by lee7758
Thank you guys! That's a good opinion!!
I bought H&R springs and as you can see from the pics I posted its pretty damn low. As far as I know Brabus (Eibach) springs are pretty close to an OEM ride and lower the car about an inch or so. H&R springs are a bit stiffer and lower the car a bit more I also put a #1 spring pad in the back that lowered it even more! If you are going to go with Brabus do as I said above and order Eibach springs directly you will save near $200! Also talk to DSB (Dan) he has those exact springs on his car he can give you a better review of them than I can!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
Originally Posted by IIIMBPIII
I bought H&R springs and as you can see from the pics I posted its pretty damn low. As far as I know Brabus (Eibach) springs are pretty close to an OEM ride and lower the car about an inch or so. H&R springs are a bit stiffer and lower the car a bit more I also put a #1 spring pad in the back that lowered it even more! If you are going to go with Brabus do as I said above and order Eibach springs directly you will save near $200! Also talk to DSB (Dan) he has those exact springs on his car he can give you a better review of them than I can!
Thank so much! I will go for the Eibach !! thx for your advice!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
Originally Posted by lee7758
Thank so much! I will go for the Eibach !! thx for your advice!!
No problem good luck with everything tell us how it goes and post pics!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
CJ,

There's not much to add as far as a review. You said all there is to say. The ride is very much like OE. It lowers it around 1" all the way around. Note: I too, am on #1 pads. Compared to your H&R, I think my rears are a tad bit higher. In fact, here are side shots that you compare. BTW, are you running Goodyear tires? How do you like them? My PS2's are fairly expensive and I might want to get a slightly less expensive set provided it handles well.

PS. You don't have a big ol heavy sub/amp in your truck, right?

Last edited by dsb; 06-20-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
BTW, sorry for the hijack.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
Originally Posted by dsb
CJ,

There's not much to add as far as a review. You said all there is to say. The ride is very much like OE. It lowers it around 1" all the way around. Note: I too, am on #1 pads. Compared to your H&R, I think my rears are a tad bit higher. In fact, here are side shots that you compare. BTW, are you running Goodyear tires? How do you like them? My PS2's are fairly expensive and I might want to get a slightly less expensive set provided it handles well.

PS. You don't have a big ol heavy sub/amp in your truck, right?
LOL to tell you the truth I don't know what tires I'm using I know its horrible of me. I do know that there are no damn side walls so I now have a impact bubble forming on my front drivers side tire which is brand new and they wont cover it at my tire place . The tires I'm using handle pretty well I use to use the car as a daily driver so i really didn't go for an all out performance tire I got somewhere in between performance and something that wouldn't ware out. But due to my brothers DUI I use his Jeep as my daily and I think when I get new tires I will go with something that has a bit better performance! Was the last part of you comment directed towards me? Are you asking if I have a system in my trunk? If so no, I never saw the point of huge stereo systems that cost ridiculous amount of money and weigh down the car. Plus I would much rather listen to the motor any day of the week!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
The stereo/trunk comment was just out of curiosity... maybe it weighed it down some. I agree with your comment though. I actually bought a small amp and 8" sub that I was going to install behind the driver seat. I didn't see a need for something in the trunk but did feel a little more bass when the top is down would be nice. Of course, I have spent the time or energy to install it.

BTW, on this thread you can see how to tell what size pad you have. Take a look if you want...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=pad+spring

Also, now that you're lowered, you might want to read this thread. Make sure you're not making contact on the front tire...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=protrusion
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by A' La F1
But here in America, most highways are not maintained at a level to safely allow triple digit speeds.
And in America, you're not exactly supposed to be driving your car at triple digit speeds in the first place

But I think you would find that with any car, you'll experience slippage when your car goes over a bump at 140mph.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler