Boxster S vs SLK55 Magazine article...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Boxster S vs SLK55 Magazine article...

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&page=0#76586

It was a foregone conclusion, but the SLK is a stunning bit of kit, looks more baby SL55 than SLR.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Good & fair article but as I am more of a "Broadway
Cruiser" I'll take the straight line power & feel.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:44 PM

Cool James Dean vs James Bond

Thanks for the link to that thread over at that other Forum place - mostly Porsche owners

One of the posts responding to this article actually decided that the Boxster had wiped the floor with the SLK55. Oh brother. All the article concluded, basically, is that the Porsche feels the road more if driving the English Countryside and somehow linked that to the Boxster being a true James Dean muscle car. Again, oh brother.

Does anybody know, does the editor really say, "Hey, we got a big check this week from Porsche, so try to write something that makes the Boxster look good." Because that is what the article stank of.

I felt compelled to go over to that forum and set a few things straight - :v If Boxster owners want to be in denial, fine. But for those that want to know what its really like to drive an SLK55 over a Boxster, I provided this post:

"Thanx for posting this article. It was a great article for showing the differences between the two cars, an SLK55 and Boxster.

I agree that those driving the Porsche remind me of wanna be James Deans, but I may add that those driving the 55s remind me more of James Bonds.

For being in the quaint English countryside with meandering roads and nothing but irresponsible cares, yes, it would be nice to only worry about feeling the road more, but in today's world, for those that need every bit of extra torque to dodge traffic and accidents on busy streets and fwys, and need a handy hard top in even marginal crime areas, it has to be the SLK55 they drive. Even as just a wknd car, in the real world, to get to the countryside for that pleasant drive, along with the enhanced ability to dodge various hwy opponents on the way, its nice to know, among other luxuries, you can have the top down on even brisk days with a warm, lovely scarf of air gently blowing around your neck while looking bright, new and gorgeous in your totally remodeled, revamped, stunning road machine.

And if rain is threatening, it is too easy to pull over and zap the top closed. What a wonderful feeling it is to have an instant, thick, hard wall between you and the elements. In less than a minute, problem solved. And you have handled the situation beautifully, you are now in a rain car.

And for those that want their cake and like eating it too, they can have as much fun as the Porsche on those twisty roads with just a bit of modification, the cost being less than tax on the car. Just get a Brabus full racing suspension kit.

Both cars would end up at Granma's house, but the SLK55 driver, having a car with it all and nothing to be rebellious about, won't be sporting that James Dean chip on his shoulder, just a big, confident, has it all figured out James Bond grin "

Last edited by lisamcgu; 02-09-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by lisamcgu
Thanks for the link to that thread over at that other Forum place - mostly Porsche owners

One of the posts responding to this article actually decided that the Boxster had wiped the floor with the SLK55. Oh brother. All the article concluded, basically, is that the Porsche feels the road more if driving the English Countryside and somehow linked that to the Boxster being a true James Dean muscle car. Again, oh brother.

Does anybody know, does the editor really say, "Hey, we got a big check this week from Porsche, so try to write something that makes the Boxster look good." Because that is what the article stank of.

I felt compelled to go over to that forum and set a few things straight - :v If Boxster owners want to be in denial, fine. But for those that want to know what its really like to drive an SLK55 over a Boxster, I provided this post:

"Thanx for posting this article. It was a great article for showing the differences between the two cars, an SLK55 and Boxster.

I agree that those driving the Porsche remind me of wanna be James Deans, but I may add that those driving the 55s remind me more of James Bonds.

For being in the quaint English countryside with meandering roads and nothing but irresponsible cares, yes, it would be nice to only worry about feeling the road more, but in today's world, for those that need every bit of extra torque to dodge traffic and accidents on busy streets and fwys, and need a handy hard top in even marginal crime areas, it has to be the SLK55 they drive. Even as just a wknd car, in the real world, to get to the countryside for that pleasant drive, along with the enhanced ability to dodge various hwy opponents on the way, its nice to know, among other luxuries, you can have the top down on even brisk days with a warm, lovely scarf of air gently blowing around your neck while looking bright, new and gorgeous in your totally remodeled, revamped, stunning road machine.

And if rain is threatening, it is too easy to pull over and zap the top closed. What a wonderful feeling it is to have an instant, thick, hard wall between you and the elements. In less than a minute, problem solved. And you have handled the situation beautifully, you are now in a rain car.

And for those that want their cake and like eating it too, they can have as much fun as the Porsche on those twisty roads with just a bit of modification, the cost being less than tax on the car. Just get a Brabus full racing suspension kit.

Both cars would end up at Granma's house, but the SLK55 driver, having a car with it all and nothing to be rebellious about, won't be sporting that James Dean chip on his shoulder, just a big, confident, has it all figured out James Bond grin "
Old 02-09-2005, 04:31 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Amen!

I should warn you though, rennteam is heavily biased towards Porsche, see the no. of Porsche forums? They EAT BMW M lovers for breakfast and chew and spit out AMG owners. Just watch the ***** fly now...
Old 02-11-2005, 01:12 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
I'm sorry but i'm a converted porsche fan now...i cant help it the boxster just outhandles and is a real sports car not just a two seater cruiser
Old 02-11-2005, 10:35 AM

10 E63
And I am a converted Mercedes fan...

Although I won't see my car until early April, I can not wait to let my Boxster go.

On the plus side of the Boxster, it has looks, handling, and prestige. The downside involves heavy maintenance costs, shoddy interior, mediocre acceleration ( car looks alot faster than it goes), and the new Boxster just does not justify another 5 years of ownership. The Boxster will always have a special place in my life but I felt the car was a sinkhole for money at times.

Here in Texas, the Boxster does not have many roads where handling is a huge factor. The SLK55 AMG suits my lifestyle more than the Boxster will. I need a luxury sports car that does not show up on every corner like the Boxster and especially the vette. I need a car that looks like I spent 70K on the interior as well as the exterior.

In summary, the SLK55 and the Boxster are different cars that attract different buyers.

Good luck to all and Cheers
Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Well said SLK55NEWB and go for it LISAMCGU...

The SLK55 is still a bloody good car! From Marky-Mark in the English countryside!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Different Categories - SLK55 and Boxsters

Yes, I agree we all go thru different phases in our lives, and we get the car that reflects our current phase.

And I agree with you on seeing way too many vettes and porsches, especially in So Cal. In LA, where people tend to like to follow trends, you will see not one, but two boxsters per block. When I drove thru LA on Monday, the SLK55 was the only one, and EVERY valet, even the one standing by the door, said something (as they always do anytime I get the car parked). I guarantee they don't say sweet ride or nice car to the abundance of boxsters that come thru.

Like the above poster, too many have said the Boxster is not as fast as it looks (in fact, the secret's been out for awhile) and the boxster is also known as a cheap way to own a porsche, which is where some people may be at in their lives, wanting a porsche but not being able to afford a high-end one. And yet, porsche has not refreshed it, like MB refreshed the SLK55 (and WOW did they refresh it!).

In these ways, and many others, the porsche boxster doesn't even come close to comparing itself to an SLK55, a car that makes even brand new Bentley owners swing around to look. One could say the secret is out on the SLK55 as well, but in a positive sense, that the inside deserves as much attn as the outside.

It feels good knowing that I got a deal, if you will, on such a car. People that don't know cars think it is one of MB's most expensive models, but I clue them in that it is actually, comparatively, inexpensive for a new MB. For those that know cars, they know this, and therefore not only look at the car, but at the driver. They want to see who is smart and has it together enough to get themselves past waiting lists and price increases and into such a car.

Yes, it is a very different experience owning one or the other.

Last edited by lisamcgu; 02-11-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Yes, I agree we all go thru different phases in our lives, and we get the car that reflects our current phase.

And I agree with you on seeing way too many vettes and porsches, especially in So Cal. In LA, where people tend to like to follow trends, you will see not one, but two boxsters per block. When I drove thru LA on Monday, the SLK55 was the only one, and EVERY valet, even the one standing by the door, said something (as they always do anytime I get the car parked). I guarantee they don't say sweet ride or nice car to the abundance of boxsters that come thru.

Like the above poster, too many have said the Boxster is not as fast as it looks (in fact, the secret's been out for awhile) and the boxster is also known as a cheap way to own a porsche, which is where some people may be at in their lives, wanting a porsche but not being able to afford a high-end one. And yet, porsche has not refreshed it, like MB refreshed the SLK55 (and WOW did they refresh it!).

In these ways, and many others, the porsche boxster doesn't even come close to comparing itself to an SLK55, a car that makes even brand new Bentley owners swing around to look. One could say the secret is out on the SLK55 as well, but in a positive sense, that the inside deserves as much attn as the outside.

It feels good knowing that I got a deal, if you will, on such a car. People that don't know cars think it is one of MB's most expensive models, but I clue them in that it is actually, comparatively, inexpensive for a new MB. For those that know cars, they know this, and therefore not only look at the car, but at the driver. They want to see who is smart and has it together enough to get themselves past waiting lists and price increases and into such a car.

Lisa:

Couldn't have said it better myself...When my girlfriend
saw the car she thought it was one of MB's high end
vehicles. Alot of folks, that haven't looked at MB's, don't
know the different models, but the appearence of our
55's make them think it's one of the most expensive MB's.
Especially when they find out there is an 8 under our hood.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:31 PM

987S
Wink

I'm sorry but I know a bias for a particular car can influence how you read certain things but how can you read that article and conclude anything other than the fact that the Boxster S was rated as slightly better than the 55? If you read the last few paragraphs you get things like this:

"the Boxster makes it feel pram like in comparison"

"the Merc seems spongy and vague"

"Porsches superior agility, fluency and control make it vastly more intimate and engaging on a challenging road"

"further proof that power isn't everything"

They liked the SLK55 very much but clearly conclude that the Boxster S is the purer sportscar.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S2000 , 2005 911 & soon 2005 slk55 AMG
The SLK55 is a GT car.

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I'm sorry but I know a bias for a particular car can influence how you read certain things but how can you read that article and conclude anything other than the fact that the Boxster S was rated as slightly better than the 55? If you read the last few paragraphs you get things like this:

"Porsches superior agility, fluency and control make it vastly more intimate and engaging on a challenging road"

They liked the SLK55 very much but clearly conclude that the Boxster S is the purer sportscar.
I agree the Boxster is a purer sportscar & the SLK55 is a puer GT Car.
This is a SLK55 forum why are we still talking about a Boxster?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Almost a Member!

The SLK is a high end MB's

The SLK55 is a high end GT car and it is one of MB's expensive models. In fact the SLK55 can blow the doors off its bigger brother the SL500 costing $97,000. That's one thing the boxster can't say. It can't compete with any model of the 911.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 AM

987S
Originally Posted by AMGFUN
The SLK55 is a high end GT car and it is one of MB's expensive models. In fact the SLK55 can blow the doors off its bigger brother the SL500 costing $97,000. That's one thing the boxster can't say. It can't compete with any model of the 911.
Yes the SLK55 is a fantastic GT and I'd choose one over the SL500 anyday and considering its half the price of the SL55 (and handles better) I'd probably take the SLK over that as well (I've driven all three cars in recent years).

You don't need to be defensive about the SLK55 it is a great car and I for one don't disagree...... however the auto box in the AMG made me go for the new Boxster S as I can't stand autos...... if we all liked the SLK55 so much we'd all be driving them and then you wouldn't have such an exclusive ride

Why are we still talking about Porsches?...... because people keep posting articles comparing the SLK and Boxster

I've driven several 911s recently and I can safely say that I will never aspire to owning one...... sure its a nice car but it didn't excite me at all...... for the same money I'd be looking at a TVR or Noble or second hand Ferrari

Also when you say the Boxster can't compete with the 911 I think you'll find more and more reviews over the coming months saying the opposite...... last months EVO magazine compared the 987 Boxster S against the 911 Carrera...... two drivers (one novice and one pro) compared both cars on road and track. The road driving showed that the novice driving the Boxster could keep up with the pro in the 911...... when they swapped cars the pro left the novice standing. On track both drivers agreed that the 911 felt faster..... but the lap times showed the opposite..... the Boxster was FASTER than the 911 for both drivers. The 911 in this case cost $35k more than the Boxster S.

A few more recent magazine articles also place the new Boxster very close or even above the new 911..... eg.

This months Road and Track have a sports car shoot out to see which was the "best" overall sports car...... 997S came in third behind the Boxster S and first place Corvette.

Two months ago EVOs "Car of the Year" issue had the 2.7 Boxster in 4th place behind the 997S in 1st while the SLK350 placed around 9th.

Sport Auto magazine has tested the new 987 Boxster, (as they do with all their cars) on the track at Hockenheim.

These are the results reported:
997 : 1:15.9 sec
987 S: 1:15.7 sec
997 S: 1:15.5 sec

So the Boxster S split the two 911 models..... as a comparison the old SLK32 AMG does a 1:18.5...... the SLK55 should be much better than the old car when they get round to testing it.

Last edited by SLK55AMG; 02-15-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 PM

Ha ha. Out of the whole article this is about it for what the author could think to say about the Boxster having it "over" the SLK55. Exactly why I posted, "All the article concluded, basically, is that the Porsche feels the road more if driving the English Countryside and somehow linked that to the Boxster being a true James Dean muscle car." Again, not exactly wiping the floor with the SLK55.

If the above quotes are about all the author could come up with to make the Boxster look good next to the SLK55, next time, MB should sneak a Brabus racing suspension in there on the test car, and then just watch as the author scrambles desperately for something, anything to make the Boxster compare with the MB. Good luck.

Since you seem to put so much stock in articles, you might try this one where the author wasn't so obviously paid off by Porsche, "Taken as a whole, it gels better than any other remotely similar roadster. A Boxster has more finely resolved handling, a Tuscan greater outright acceleration, but as a thing to live with, in all seasons and on every day of the year, it’s out there on its own."

Originally Posted by sprins
This review describes the point of the SLK55 I think:
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...0115_1,00.html

Last edited by lisamcgu; 02-15-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:29 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
If the above quotes are about all the author could come up with to make the Boxster look good next to the SLK55, next time, MB should sneak a Brabus racing suspension in there on the test car, and then just watch as the author scrambles desperately for something, anything to make the Boxster compare with the MB. Good luck.
Unfortunately an SLK with Brabus suspension would still be less effective as a pure driving machine than a Boxster S. And since the standard SLK55 is already 25% more expensive than the Boxster S, would it be sensible to increase the cost further in a comparison? Is there any reason to think the standard AMG suspension is inferior to the Brabus version? The answer to both questions is no. The AMG suspension is not just the sports suspension option which is available on cheaper models, which is just revised spring rates and dampers. It's completely reworked. I never understand apologists who rubbish articles which don't fit in with their narrow view of something. I love the SLK, but it isn't perfect. Nor does that matter, to me.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:58 AM

987S
Ha ha. Out of the whole article this is about it for what the author could think to say about the Boxster having it "over" the SLK55. Exactly why I posted, "All the article concluded, basically, is that the Porsche feels the road more if driving the English Countryside and somehow linked that to the Boxster being a true James Dean muscle car." Again, not exactly wiping the floor with the SLK55.

Since you seem to put so much stock in articles, you might try this one where the author wasn't so obviously paid off by Porsche, "Taken as a whole, it gels better than any other remotely similar roadster. A Boxster has more finely resolved handling, a Tuscan greater outright acceleration, but as a thing to live with, in all seasons and on every day of the year, it’s out there on its own."
Thanks for the link to the times article I'd been looking for that because of his comparison of the 55 to a Tuscan S which amused me...... its a good review for the AMG and Andrew Frankel has always liked Mercs and AMG in general (I get the Sunday Times every week).

Anyway the Tuscan S quote:

"A TVR Tuscan S is similarly priced and a little more powerful but it’s hard to imagine anyone tossing up between such a brutal British bruiser and a svelte sophisticate like this." ME...... I'd have a Tuscan S over the AMG or ANY Porsche...... to say that its a little more powerful is a joke! the AMG has 355bhp Vs 400bhp and 376Lb/ft Vs 316Lb/ft which overall seems fairly even BUT the TVR weights bugger all so when you look at the power to weight ratio theres a big difference..... 234bhp/ton for the SLK Vs 369bhp/ton...... the Tuscan S can do 0-100mph in less than 9 seconds!!!!! Most TVRs would also out handle the Merc as well due to their much lower weight."

You've got to laugh :p
Old 02-16-2005, 07:43 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
"the Tuscan S can do 0-100mph in less than 9 seconds!!!!!
It can also do £50K to £25K in 12 months.

I've already owned three TVRs long-term (ten years in total). They are ferociously fast, but not especially developed or well made, and certainly lacking in almost all creature comforts and safety features. I don't want any of the current model range, that's for sure. Unless something major changes (like dropping the in-house engines for crated real V8s for example, and some new designers) I can't see that changing.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:09 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by steve-p
It can also do £50K to £25K in 12 months.

I've already owned three TVRs long-term (ten years in total). They are ferociously fast, but not especially developed or well made, and certainly lacking in almost all creature comforts and safety features. I don't want any of the current model range, that's for sure. Unless something major changes (like dropping the in-house engines for crated real V8s for example, and some new designers) I can't see that changing.
I can confirm your stance on the TVR quality. I saw one at last year's (August) Italian Concourso in Monterey, CA (likely the world's greatest collection of exotics at 1 location - multiple Enzos, 1,000 Hp Buggatti, Edonis, Jag XJ2000s, every make & model of Italian muscle for the last 50 yrs, and significant "other" make presence (Porsche GT, GT2, Ruff, Jags, TVRs, you name it - its there). The TVR's had a kit car quality (dash poorly assembled, door panels peeling off, fit & finish was nowhere near a Ferrari or Benz). Its OK, just a more serious sports car than an SLK55, just not built so well.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 02-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Porsche Cayman S
I am in the process of ordering a new car in June. It has come down between the Boxster S and the SLK 55.
I currently own a SLK 320, and have loved the car with all its faults.
But I have driven both cars, and it may not be the Boxster owners who are deluded.
I found the Boxster to be a more satisfying ride, start to finish. The quality of the interior is superior to the SLK (imo), and pure power isn't what gets you out of trouble, it is the nimble turn. If I've learned nothing else driving on LA Freeways, I have learned that lesson well.
Don't fool yourselves into thinking the Boxster only gets great reviews because the writers are paid off. You would be doing a disservice to a fine sports car.
I love both cars, and my Merc experience makes me want to lean toward the SLK, but to dismiss the Boxster is to show not only arrogance, but ignorance as well.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by WDRiley
I am in the process of ordering a new car in June. It has come down between the Boxster S and the SLK 55.
I currently own a SLK 320, and have loved the car with all its faults.
But I have driven both cars, and it may not be the Boxster owners who are deluded.
I found the Boxster to be a more satisfying ride, start to finish. The quality of the interior is superior to the SLK (imo), and pure power isn't what gets you out of trouble, it is the nimble turn. If I've learned nothing else driving on LA Freeways, I have learned that lesson well.
Don't fool yourselves into thinking the Boxster only gets great reviews because the writers are paid off. You would be doing a disservice to a fine sports car.
I love both cars, and my Merc experience makes me want to lean toward the SLK, but to dismiss the Boxster is to show not only arrogance, but ignorance as well.
I wonder how much time the car spends on the road?

Bulletins for Porsche Boxster S F6-3179cc 3.2L DOHC

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 41/04 MAR 04 Tires/Wheels - Winter Tires/Snow Chains/Wheels
62/03 NOV 03 Interior - Sun Visor Vanity Mirror Lamp Inoperative
21/03 NOV 03 Interior/Ignition - Ignition Switch Replacement
32/03 OCT 03 M/T - Clutch Pedal Sticking
33/03 OCT 03 M/T - Short Shift Kit Installation
97/01 AUG 03 Navigation System - Drive Unit/Disk Usage
90301 AUG 03 Audio System - Rear Speaker Retrofitting
1/03 JUN 03 Restraint System - Air Bag Service Information
3/02 MAY 03 Engine - Engine Oils Approved for Use
3/03 MAY 03 Convertible Top - Rattling Noises
1/03 MAR 03 Wipers/Washers - Wiper Blade Squeaking/Rubbing Noise
4/02 MAR 03 Battery - Maintenance Checklist
4/02 DEC 02 Drivetrain - Dual Mass Flywheel Check Procedure
0201 OCT 02 Restraint Systems - Air Bag lamp ON/Codes 45/46/48/49
1/02 AUG 02 Body - Clicking/Grating Noises From The Door Lock Area
1/02 JUL 02 Brakes - Brake Disc Corrosion
2/02 JUL 02 Interior - Center Instrument Panel Clicking Noises
1/02 JUL 02 Interior - R/H Side Instrument Panel Clicking Noises
1/02 MAY 02 Seat (Front) - Wiring Harness Damage
1/02 MAY 02 A/T - Drive Plate Tightening Torque
6/01 MAR 02 Brake Booster - Firewall Seal Modification
2/01 DEC 01 A/C Control Assembly - Malfunctions/Faulty
0101 OCT 01 OBD II - New Report Submission Procedure
6/00 AUG 01 Clutch - Creaking Noise in Bell Housing
1/01 JUL 01 Radio - CDR 220 Faceplate Installation
1A/00 JUN 01 Clutch Pedal - Various Types of Noises
4/01 APR 01 Alarm System Control Unit - Warranty Return Policy
1A/00 APR 01 Airflow Sensor - Design Modification
5/01 APR 01 Headlight - Moisture Accumulation Inside Assembly
5A/00 APR 01 A/T - Selector Lever Button Pops Off
1/01 MAR 01 Brake Booster - Design Update
5/00 JAN 01 High Performance Audio System - Retrofit
6/00 DEC 00 Seat Bottom Cushion Cover - Uneven
9/00 DEC 00 Engine - MIL ON/Oil Leaks/Rough Idle
2/00 NOV 00 Cooling System - Leaks at Band Type Hose Clamps
3/00 NOV 00 Cooling Systems - Coolant Leaks at Clamps
8/00 NOV 00 Intermediate Shaft - Chain & Seal Modifications
6/00 NOV 00 Convertible Top - Rear Window Vibration
7/00 NOV 00 Cup Holder - Installation Procedure
1A/00 OCT 00 Interior - Noises in The A Pillar Area
1/00 SEP 00 M/T - Squeaking/Clicking/Scratching Noises from Clutch
4/00 SEP 00 Parking Brake Switch & Convertable Top- Inoperative
4/00 SEP 00 Stabilizer Bar - Rattling Noises
3/00 JUL 00 Wiper Arm Nut - Rattling/Rubbing on the Windshield
1/00 JUL 00 Body - Lids & Doors Delivered Without Seam Sealer
5/00 JUL 00 Engine Cooling - New Replacement Radiators/Sealing Cap
1/00 JUL 00 Convertible Top - Multiple Noises
4A/99 JUN 00 Fluids - M/T, A/T & Final Drive Type/Capacities
3/00 JUN 00 Interior - Noises in the Door/Door Trim Panel Area
1/00 JUN 00 Interior - Rattling/Crackling Noises from Dashboard Area
2/00 JUN 00 Sport Exhaust System - Installation Procedures
2/00 JUN 00 Front Strut Mount - Clicking Noise
2A/00 APR 00 Engine - Component Replacement Information
1/00 APR 00 Power Steering - Noisy Return Hose
1/00 APR 00 Air Flow Sensor - Update
4/99 APR 00 Center Console Oddments Tray Cover - Broken
13/99 MAR 00 Instrument Cluster - Programming After PCM Installed
3/00 MAR 00 Convertible Top Control Unit - Malfunction
4/00 MAR 00 MIL On - Oil Filler Cap Loose
1/99 MAR 00 Engine - Oils Approved by Porsche
9/98 MAR 00 Air Bag - Retrofit Passenger Side Deactivation Device
3/99 MAR 00 Interior - Cleaning Soft Look Plastic Parts
9/99 FEB 00 Audio - High Performance Sound System Installation
3/99 DEC 99 Convertable Top Holding Strap - Torn
8/99 NOV 99 Radio Control Knobs - Available as Spare Parts
99 01 NOV 99 Vehicle - Year 2000 Hardware/Software Readiness
3/99 OCT 99 Tires (Summer) - Approved Manufacturers and Types
9902 OCT 99 Oxygen Sensor - Proper Care of Connections

Last edited by AMGFUN; 02-16-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM

987S
Thats a lovely long list..... I guess its meant to show how unrealiable the Boxster is?

Well if you look at the list you'll find that less than half of the updates are faults and of those the vast majority are noises/rattles...... so I guess that either shows that a open top roadster makes a lot of noises or Boxster owners are a whinging bunch who don't like squeaks when driving?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Thats a lovely long list..... I guess its meant to show how unrealiable the Boxster is?

Well if you look at the list you'll find that less than half of the updates are faults and of those the vast majority are noises/rattles...... so I guess that either shows that a open top roadster makes a lot of noises or Boxster owners are a whinging bunch who don't like squeaks when driving?
Service Bulletins are put out by Porsche to service problems with there cars. This is not a list of customer complaints. Most people would find this many problems annoying.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Not a man's car

2005 Boxster tested, now with 80% more Porscheness
Posted Oct 21, 2004, 9:19 AM ET by Dave Ko with Autoblog Magazine
Related entries: Sports/GTs

Word has it that the second generation Boxster has 80% all new components that weren’t carried over from the previous model. This can probably be attributed to Porsche’s improved financial situation resulting from a pre-tax profit of over one billion Euros. Needless to say, these improvements will be hard to notice at first glance as the Boxster will maintain a timeless look in much the same manner the 911 has over the last 40 years. The 280hp 3.2 flat six in the Boxster S will, in the meantime, will allow it to creep inexorably closer to the performance of the base 911. Almost as good still will not cut it, however, as Boxster owners will be perpetually be known as the “guy who bought the girl Porsche”.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:28 PM

987S
Originally Posted by AMGFUN
Service Bulletins are put out by Porsche to service problems with there cars. This is not a list of customer complaints. Most people would find this many problems annoying.
But they aren't all problems!...... bulletins are also put out for information.... e.g the recommended oil or recommended winter tyres they are to answer customer questions not a sign of a problem

Try to remember that although I'm buying a Boxster S I have NOTHING against the SLK55 or SLK350...... they are both great cars so you don't need to go out of your way to prove how crap the Boxster is...... I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could also find a similar list from MB considering their build quality these days is not as good as it used to be...... ask Jeremy Clarkson his opinion!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs SLK55 Magazine article...