SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR is here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR is here!

Here is a copy and paste from my board. Disregard some of the info, but youll get the idea!

Ok, so here is my SLR story from start to finish. I have to admit that I was nervous right from the beginning and questioning my decision through and through. As the day arrived for me to go, I got even more nervous. Ajglobal was supposed to go with me, and cancelled at the last minute. As I boarded the plane I was even more nervous. I could not get ahold of my wife, and all of a sudden all these thoughts came to mine. SLR nightmare to buy...... friend bails on plane flight.... cant say good bye to wife..... All of a sudden i feel its omen! Dont get on the flight its going to ****in CRASH!!!!! I continue with my journey and i start to think more more. What am I doing, what about the green Murci just got listed in the classifieds, how can i buy a Benz over a lambo etc etc. I say to myself, ill just got the dealer, look at the car, find something wrong with it, and fly home.

Well, I get to the dealer, take one look at it, and say NO WAY!!! I love this car! The car is absolutely pristine on the showroom floor, surrounded by barricades and all. We go over the car thoroughly, the only tech who has ever touched it goes over everything with me. Car is pristine, no surface scratches, no scuffs, looks as new except for 2 tiny chips on the front nose.

What a way to get initiated to a car. A 300 mile journey running 100-130mph, with a few jaunts to approx 180, with one filmed at 175mph. At first the length of the front is intimidating, as are the very touchy brakes. I play around with the transmission, and instantly notice, that I usually see these guys in SLR's racing in Automode, when they just floor it and kick it down. The autobox in this car is not your typical autobox. once it literally kicked down to approx 6500rpm, when it has to shift at 7000. Ive never seen an autobox that is as aggresive as this one. On my way home, I didnt do any real runs in sprt mode, just kept it in comfort, and let it go from there. Now i can see there is a pretty big difference between the 2. Appart from speed, the car is incredibly comfortable, and at highway speeds, drives perfect. I did notice at high speeds that it did feel alittle more floaty then the Lambos do, but that could also have to do with the fact that it is certainly accelerating faster.

Today I let my wife drive the car. At first, she couldnt see how the car could be faster than the Lambo, and actually doubted me. With Tony next to us, I got her to go from a dead stop, sport mode, but with the traction control on. Full on floored. She was amazed. Said you dont have any clue as to how fast this car is if you just drive it normal. The car screams. I dont care what anyone says, off the line, traction control on, just floor it, a/c on, and good bye virtually to anyone. no drama, nothing, just what feels like never ending acceleration.

I can also see, how people who dont get alot of seat time, are intimidated by the car, and dont like the brakes. If you use any sort of the same peddle effort as any regular car, the car is very jerky. After one day of driving the car, i love the brakes. They are now smooth as silk, as you realise that barely an effort on the peddle brings you to a normal stop. I love that at 150mph I can hit the cruise control. I love that it is smooth as ice, until you floor it and all hell lets loose. Also, the torque is amazing, and Tony will verify this. At part throttle, the car goes so hard, that you would literally have to push the Gallardo at 90% just to keep up.

As of now, I cant think of anything I can change about the car. According the dealer the high speed floatiness can be changed with a 3/4 inch lowering of the rear end. The feel of the car inmo, is a close to the feel of the Veyron in drive as Ive seen so far, obviously without the same performance. Adding the Renntech Kit, should be as close as you can get for 1/3 rd the price.

As a side note, I will say it was funny to listen the salesman and manager tell me how Chris Kelly had asked them to call me, and tell me that they had made a mistake on the price so that he could raise it and do the deal for me. So far now, I am extremely happy with my decision to buy the car. It freaking ROCKS!!!!

As for the vids, today I ran into a CGT!!!! My wife was driving, so I made her get out! Now way was I gonna let that opportunity pass me by! When we got closer I did notice it was that Idiot SECC Joes, dad. Well, his father is a class act, always has been. Not his fault his son is a douche. There was a very slight moment when he downshifted and got on it, and even from behind I could tell the SLR would of instantly pulled. I had to backpeddle immidietely. No this was no race, too much traffic, but from the little hint of it, that was my gut feeling.

One is of going 175mph. Again, just floor it, comfort mode, a/c on and go.

One is of Alissa driving next to Aj, and me coaxing her to floor it. All vids are with a/c on and just as an automatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1d08miHJcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmz6kykHKA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnppqSpsfPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy24rE7LE3M
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Wow, congratulations. That car sounds so good, it should be nominated for a Grammy.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:24 PM

Attached Thumbnails SLR is here!-dsc05355-medium-.jpg   SLR is here!-dsc05356-medium-.jpg   SLR is here!-dsc05357-medium-.jpg   SLR is here!-dsc05359-medium-.jpg   SLR is here!-dsc05368-medium-.jpg  

Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 AM

X5, E320cdi ,E220,R-Royce,Jag MKII and more...
Congrats to it. Thanks for the pics and videos. Enjoy your new bea(st)uty!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by allanlambo
When we got closer I did notice it was that Idiot SECC Joes, dad. Well, his father is a class act, always has been. Not his fault his son is a douche.
so true......
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by goalie_k
so true......
Pm me, and tell me more!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Wow, that thing really pulls on the top end. Looks great man, enjoy!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Congrats on the new ride...LOVE the color choice ...love that orange lambo too
Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 PM

S550
Sadly my friends's SLR has only 165 miles he got it new and he cant do that to the engine just yet.

I would wanna be in it when he does he has a roadster on order he is crazy.

He got black black posted up. Wish it was mine I could just afford CL63.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Wow, I'm not going to ask where you found room to do 180mph!

The car is gorgeous.

M
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Gorgeous car, congrads. Nice write up.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 PM

CLK 430
the car is beautiful. I just saw one at my work today, it seriously is insanely nice!!! congrats on the new purchase
Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 PM

C63 507
hey allan congrats, im happy for u!

i love the brakes too. best brakes i've felt on a car. its amazing that it actually gets knocks for being too touchy. you just have to spend some time in the car and they become a dream. wait til u do some 0-150-0 runs, ur going to be laughing like a school boy.

i would love to hear your impression of the car after a few thousand miles. it just seems to get better and better.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by johnw(to)
hey allan congrats, im happy for u!

i love the brakes too. best brakes i've felt on a car. its amazing that it actually gets knocks for being too touchy. you just have to spend some time in the car and they become a dream. wait til u do some 0-150-0 runs, ur going to be laughing like a school boy.

i would love to hear your impression of the car after a few thousand miles. it just seems to get better and better.
Im working on it!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Wow, I'm not going to ask where you found room to do 180mph!

The car is gorgeous.

M
I am...on the 101?

That's krazy.

Love the ride.