SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Transmission shifts HARD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SLR
Transmission shifts HARD

Is it normal for the transmission to shift so hard at wide open throttle in manual mode? I also noticed that it has the ability to rev very high in manual mode as well. I couldn't find the rev limiter.....any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by BRUTALLYHONEST
Is it normal for the transmission to shift so hard at wide open throttle in manual mode? I also noticed that it has the ability to rev very high in manual mode as well. I couldn't find the rev limiter.....any suggestions?
I believe that's normal.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM

C63 507
do you have some more detail?

which manual mode are you in?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
In manual mode the shifts are very hard. Also there is no safety settings in manual mode so be very careful. It will let you shift into any gear at any rpm. It is possible to over rev the motor if you down shift into to low of a gear so be carefull.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
sometimes, doing the pedal ECU reset trick, will help smoothen the tranny shifts sometimes.

There are other mods you can do like lightweight crank pulley which help smoothen shifts but most SLR owners don't really mod their cars so thats understandable.

I will say though that I recently put Royal Purple in my engine & differential and surprisingly my tranny shifts much smoother now I don't know if that will help a bit but it might and plus it won't void warranty so its worth a shot.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Please

Royal Purple?
It is not spec,it is not approved and you are suggesting someone with an 08 put it in and it won't void his warranty?
Where do you come up with this stuff?
Don't go bringing up the O'keefe act
For you have not read it if you think it pertains to royal purple.Call Royal Purple they will say use
MB spec fluids
From Mercedes Benz On Oil Related Failures
The MMS history should be accessed via SDS. The MMS history read out should be used to confirm the
maintenance history of the vehicle. If the MMS history read out shows that the vehicle was improperly
maintained, i.e., the maintenance intervals were materially overdrawn; and in addition, if the review of all
the customer's service records indicate that at the time of the subject oil change, engine oils not
approved at the time the change was made were used, the vehicle is not covered by the Mercedes-Benz
Limited Warranty. Additionally, the O'Keefe Class Action Settlement Service Commitment applies only
where the oil used was one that was approved at the time of the oil change. Further, please note that
under the O'Keefe settlement (1) there will be no coverage where there is evidence of vehicle abuse or
neglect in failing to properly maintain the vehicle according to MBUSA's recommendations including the
recommended service schedule

In other words you need not use Mobil1 but you better be using an mb spec oil or fluid in your warrantied engine ,transmission or differential.Unless you like a big fat denied on your service request.
Maybe you like to gamble,I don't think the op with the 08 needs to risk it.

OP ,Go have your trans software program checked for recent updates and proper shift points.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM

2008 SLR
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
sometimes, doing the pedal ECU reset trick, will help smoothen the tranny shifts sometimes.

There are other mods you can do like lightweight crank pulley which help smoothen shifts but most SLR owners don't really mod their cars so thats understandable.

I will say though that I recently put Royal Purple in my engine & differential and surprisingly my tranny shifts much smoother now I don't know if that will help a bit but it might and plus it won't void warranty so its worth a shot.
I don't see how the transmission would shift any different by changing the type of oil used in the engine and differential.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:34 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
The faster the shifts, the "harder" they feel, particularly the downshifts. After I had the valvebody upgraded on my 350Z, the shifts were really fast but almost violent sometimes. Not trying to compare both cars, but the principles are the same.
So in summary, it's a "good" thing
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SLR McLaren
I haven't noticed any "Hard Shifts" in my SLR...But then again, I don't really drive mine that hard to begin with.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:17 PM

They shift hard in all setting drive it hard it will shift hard

Rick
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by Dsmed
In manual mode the shifts are very hard. Also there is no safety settings in manual mode so be very careful. It will let you shift into any gear at any rpm. It is possible to over rev the motor if you down shift into to low of a gear so be carefull.
not with my car, in m mode it will downshift if the revs get too low. it will bounce off the rev limiter if they get too high, you cant over rev it by downshifting though
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by way2evil
not with my car, in m mode it will downshift if the revs get too low. it will bounce off the rev limiter if they get too high, you cant over rev it by downshifting though
If it is setup like the SMG in BMW's it will. I will not drive it and attempt to prove you right or wrong, so someone with better knowledge chime in.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:09 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by Satan
If it is setup like the SMG in BMW's it will. I will not drive it and attempt to prove you right or wrong, so someone with better knowledge chime in.
when i first got my car, it bounced off the rev limiter. last time it was in for service they must have updated the software, now it shifts up automatically after getting really close to redline. it shifts down too.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

'09 SL65 BS, '08 SL65 AMG, '08 CLK63 AMG BS, '08 CL65 AMG, '06 Viper SRT10, '06 F430, '04 Gallardo
Originally Posted by iluvmys65amg
I haven't noticed any "Hard Shifts" in my SLR...But then again, I don't really drive mine that hard to begin with.
that's a shame, but i can understand why people wouldn't like to drive their cars hard. i'm different though because i drive the **** out of my cars since I believe that's how they are meant to be driven, otherwise I wouldn't buy them. I mostly do it at tracks though. However, i do take my 430 spider for a nice easy cruise with the top down once in a while. I was considering an SLR for a while but when i took it for a test drive, I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping to. Still an amazing car no doubt, but for half a mill, I wasn't too happy about certain things in the interior so I just decided not to get it.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by way2evil
when i first got my car, it bounced off the rev limiter. last time it was in for service they must have updated the software, now it shifts up automatically after getting really close to redline. it shifts down too.
SLR? if not I belive the SLR has a different tranny setup then the rest of the AMG's.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by BRUTALLYHONEST
I don't see how the transmission would shift any different by changing the type of oil used in the engine and differential.

The viscosity, detergents, and other key elements will work with or against your engine and transmission. If you use the wrong one, it will work against it.