SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Another question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Another question....

Guys, I have one other question for you.... SLS is coming. Have been in one but never driven it. All I have for comparison is E63, S63, CLKblack.....having driven those. The prob is that there is the drive by wire and the hesitation. Sprint booster works to a certain degree. Does the SLS have the same prob? Some have said yes, others have said since it is a DCT it is better especially in Sport+. Was thinking about getting a Renntech ECU for shift point changes and miniscule HP increase. Just wanted to know if the Renntech upgrade would be worth it (as they have promised me that it does get rid of any delay). Thanks again.....
Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
As far as I know the most recent software updates have all but eliminated the slight hesitation that was present in the early cars. Also, the hesitation comes from the clutch engaging, not from the shift by wire nature of the car. It happens in all automated manuals to some degree, the clutch progressively engaging (like in a manual) rather than dumping the clutch. If you treat The throttle like you were driving a manual (small input then stop while the clutch engages and then work it normally) you can remove the sensation completely.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Spyker C8, MB ML63 AMG, land rover
I just received my SLS and if there's any hesitation, I certainly have not noticed it. Some of these performance upgrades on an already high performing car seems to me to be a bit redundant and in some cases, just plain silly. Ever seen the one Top Gear where Jeremy takes a Brabus MB around the track and the thing is just basically out of control it has so much torque. Funny YouTube video to watch.

I believe most of the issues you speak of related to earlier 2011 cars.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Thanks so much guys. That seals it. I will take delivery, drive it for a while and see what happens. If the hesitation is gone, then I will not need the renntech upgrade.... Appreciate it.

PS... Swisstrader: would love to see pics.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Dealer sent pics...

Will pick up this weekend. Off to get tinted, prepped and cleaned up...
Attached Thumbnails Another question....-img_6289.jpg   Another question....-img_6291.jpg   Another question....-img_6294.jpg   Another question....-img_6290.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Congrats! You will not get enough of this car, if I could tuck it into my bed I would! The first thing I do when my four yr old boy wakes up very early in the morning is take him to the garage to look at it.....he actually asks me to show him the SLS first thing even my 2 1/2 yr old little girl loves when daddy revs it. Did you get the ceramic brakes or is it the painted calipers? The car looks great, nice color choice.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Congrats! You will not get enough of this car, if I could tuck it into my bed I would! The first thing I do when my four yr old boy wakes up very early in the morning is take him to the garage to look at it.....he actually asks me to show him the SLS first thing even my 2 1/2 yr old little girl loves when daddy revs it. Did you get the ceramic brakes or is it the painted calipers? The car looks great, nice color choice.
That's too funny about the kids. My little girl is 15mos and could care less about anything. Maybe in time she too will love the SLS Anyway, they are the red painted calipers. Was too afraid to get the ceramics as I heard that they squeak something aweful sometimes, besides not tracking... Can't wait to get her home
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Congrats, enjoy it in good health.