Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

* * V12 Biturbo FORUM - MODS/ADMINS PLEASE READ! * *

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Exclamation * * V12 Biturbo FORUM - MODS/ADMINS PLEASE READ! * *

Moderators / Administrators and IB - please spend a minute of your time to read this post and please don't stay silent (like I see happen way too often in this forum) and voice your positive/negative opinion.

In the past year I've noticed that the V12TT crowd on this forum has grown by leaps and bounds. We have new members signing up regularly that drive any one of the six V12TT powered Mercedes-Benz cars- the AMG SL65/CL65/S65 and the SL600/CL600/S600. This is where the problem lies...

There is a large number of non-AMG V12TT owners, but the non-AMG boards are mostly populated with members that drive the 430 and 500 variants of the cars and have little to no interest in their V12 counterparts. The 65 AMG owners go to their respective AMG forum but the ideas/threads are spread apart and are tough to keep track of.

Since the W211 AMG forum is one of the most populated/educated forums on this board, I see many thread about V12TT products/questions being posted there, which is completely off-topic and does not pertain to the W211 AMG platform what so ever.

MBWorld.org NEESD a dedicated V12 Biturbo forum where the 600/65 owners can discuss ideas, problems and do their research.

This will also be a fantastic place for vendors such as VRP, Evosport, Kleemann, Eurocharged, etc.. to advertise their products, services and tuning options.

I have an enormous collection of technical material about the Mercedes M275 V12TT motor and I never know where to share it... so I usually dump it in the CL55/65 AMG board where there is a big crowd of enthusiasts, but what about the people with the CL and the S-Class that don't look at that forum?

Another aspect of the these six cars that unites us all - they all have ABC (Active Body Control) and we all know how touchy/fragile the system is... this would, once again, provide a great place for technical discussion, DIY threads, etc.. relating to ABC.

I am sure that there will be a tuner willing to sponsor the board from the start, hell, I'll even sponsor it myself if no one wants to.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I am sure that there will be a tuner willing to sponsor the board from the start, hell, I'll even sponsor it myself if no one wants to.
We might be on board with this!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
Excellent idea, Oxygen!

I've always found that same problem-- don't really know where to go for the V12 goodies. I just kind of get lucky lol
Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Couldn't agree more. I'm case in point. I'm one of the new V12TT owners that finds himself posting in the SL55/65 AMG and the W211 E55 forum because that's where most of the technical expertise resides. Especially when it comes to modding. No knock on the R230 non-AMG guys, but 95% of that room are SL500 owners that just have no input on all matters V12TT.

I'm fully on board with a V12TT forum. Excellent idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Great post/idea Chris! Though I have to admit I like the E55 W211 forum the best & sharing ALL big V12 TT tuning/Dyno/etc Posts-Q's their as it's the MOST active forum on the board w/MOST gear heads.

Having said that, I Do think adding a dedicated 600/65 V12TT forum would be a huge step fwd though, we need to culminate ALL these pertinent posts in (1) area...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
cool idea man, lets see it work
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
I didn't realize the V12TT people hung out on the E55 forum. I sometimes ventured into the SL55 forums.

I agree with Oxygen, a forum needs to be made for the V12TT owners as the mods are virtually similar between models.

It would be nice if it was called The V12TT Owner's Club
Old 09-21-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
A BIG plus one here Oxygen

Very few of the other engine series enthusiasts ever even think of modifying their cars, well ecept for the that zany E55 group. Whereas the V12 TT owners are some of the more hard core modifiers willing to make more changes type of owners. Since many of the Mercedes platforms share this incredible engine, it would be a valuable asset for all of them to be able to come to a single thread for information. Rather than having to bounce around their respective chassis sites in an attempt to gain creditable knowledge that may or may not pertain to their engine class.

I really do feel that Oxygen has brought up a very valid and creditable idea for us enthusiasts and vendors alike. Since more and more vendors are stepping up to this engine class, why not have a dedicated forum

Thanks again Oxygen for trying to bridge a MUCH needed gap.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-21-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Excellent Post Chris!!

I would love to see a forum just for the 600/65 motors. This way any information could be easily accessible.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Absolutely a great idea. With the shared platform of the SL, CL, and S's there is so much information on them that is either scattered across the board, never viewed, or simply not posted because no one knows where it best fits. For instance, I have tons of questions about making my CL600 the beast it could be...but where do I ask? The W215 forum is DEAD and I know my car is not AMG...so I shouldn't really pose it in the AMG CL section. Furthermore, what benefits a CL600 likely benefits an SL65...but this information might never be shared! Really...who wants to try to keep up with 8 different sections, plus having to sort through the V12TT, V12 N/A, V8 S/C, and V8 N/A stuff?

For instance, I posted this a few months back in the Tech section; but we all know it's really for V12TT owners: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...pic-heavy.html

Hell...the C63 gets its own section...why can't the V12TT cars? A V12TT holds the record for the quickest Benz; shouldn't we have a section to specifically address the unique issues/performance of these cars?

Also...if you are truly trying to build a "tight" community here, we should have a dedicated section just to share all our triumphs and defeats regarding these cars. I know I don't have enough time to make all the mistakes, so I'd rather learn from others! These V12 TT cars are the flagship line of Mercedes, and while I know most V12TT owners aren't modifying their car, a lot of us are! And...even the stockers can learn a thing or two from us! Plus, from a sponsorship standpoing, guys like Jerry at LET won't have to post the same information in 8 sections just to get the information out! Heck...if I hadn't been trolling the S65 forum I would've NEVER found out about the group buy on his recently released software and the impressive gains they've made!

PS: It REALLY is 8 sections: SL AMG, CL AMG, S AMG, W221, W220, W216, W215, R230

Last edited by FormulaZR; 09-21-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I can't disagree with anything that has been stated above. Thanks Oxygen for getting the ball rolling...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
I think Oxygen has a great point, and the truth is that there are many topics that are relevant to the engine regardless of chassis - and this is true for even the 55k cars as well. There are so many cars with the 55k forum and they all goto the W211 section because it's where there is the most discussion about the actual engine. The V12 engine has even more disparity in that regard because as Oxygen pointed out, there's a number of V12 related threads in the W211 section, simply because of the traffic that goes through there.

-m
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
S600 Bi-Turbo/E39 M5
I have also had this idea since I bought my 600 in Feb. I never voiced it though.

Hey mods, you better get to work, or I'm creating www.MBV12TT.com message board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by bp95gsx
I have also had this idea since I bought my 600 in Feb. I never voiced it though.

Hey mods, you better get to work, or I'm creating www.MBV12TT.com message board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

www.m275.com sounds like a winning site also!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
I couldn't agree more. I'm still waiting to see the "change we can believe in"
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Great Idea!!

No question that a V12TT forum should be created. I've often thought it was silly that the E55 forum would be the place to go for all the tuning information for our engines. Information is too scattered between all the AMG and non-AMG forums for the V12TT platform. I support a V12TT forum 100% Thanks for bringing it up.

Larry
Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Great idea,
much needed forum!
Mods, let's go for it
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This is an interesting idea
I have brought it up with the other moderators
Thanks Oxygen for bringing this thread to my attn

The only downsides I can think of are insignificant to the consolidation of V12TT related knowledge (rather than losing it to the E55 AMG forums)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Thank you to all the V12TT mafia members for your support and thanks to vraa for taking this to the next step.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Ok, I agree and this is a good discussion, but here's the challenge and this is something we can work out. The V12TT is NOT unique to one specific model. You are asking for an "engine" forum, not a chassis forum. This is different than how we categorize now. Someone mentioned, "even the C63 has its own forum". Well, yes because it's its own model. Also, which V12TT...the 5.5L, the 6.0L any future models? And there are AMG models and non-AMG models. There's A LOT of stuff you can pile into this pot. For those who say that you can't seem to find things easily. Let's be honest, not everything is going to be in ONE place conveniently located every single time, as much as we'd like it to be. This is why we have a SEARCH function and hopefully it's being used effectively.

So here's one suggestion, since we're not talking about specific model, perhaps we create a V12TT forum under the Tech forums? This would be a forum to discuss engine specific issues, otherwise the thread would belong in the chassis forum for that model.

The other possibility is to just create a V12TT sub-forum for each specific model under the respective parent forum. So W220 S-Class would have a sub-forum called "S600 V12 TT" or "S65 V12 TT" depending on the parent forum.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Yes
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Ok, I agree and this is a good discussion, but here's the challenge and this is something we can work out. The V12TT is NOT unique to one specific model. You are asking for an "engine" forum, not a chassis forum. This is different than how we categorize now. Someone mentioned, "even the C63 has its own forum". Well, yes because it's its own model. Also, which V12TT...the 5.5L, the 6.0L any future models? And there are AMG models and non-AMG models. There's A LOT of stuff you can pile into this pot. For those who say that you can't seem to find things easily. Let's be honest, not everything is going to be in ONE place conveniently located every single time, as much as we'd like it to be. This is why we have a SEARCH function and hopefully it's being used effectively.

So here's one suggestion, since we're not talking about specific model, perhaps we create a V12TT forum under the Tech forums? This would be a forum to discuss engine specific issues, otherwise the thread would belong in the chassis forum for that model.

The other possibility is to just create a V12TT sub-forum for each specific model under the respective parent forum. So W220 S-Class would have a sub-forum called "S600 V12 TT" or "S65 V12 TT" depending on the parent forum.
That doesn't even make sense. The 6.2L N/A, 5.5 N/A, and 5.5 K are not specific to any one model either...there are three C class AMG sections, by that logic the S/SL/CL65, the S/SL/CL/CLS/E63, and S/SL/CL/CLS/E55 (which in theory would be broken up between K and non-K engine) should have their own sections, we all know that not feasible or even a remotely good idea!

However, with 8 sections containing M275 information; I guess the best solution is an M275 section somewhere in the tech area...

Last edited by FormulaZR; 09-22-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
The V12TT is NOT unique to one specific model. You are asking for an "engine" forum, not a chassis forum. This is different than how we categorize now. Someone mentioned, "even the C63 has its own forum". Well, yes because it's its own model. Also, which V12TT...the 5.5L, the 6.0L any future models? And there are AMG models and non-AMG models. There's A LOT of stuff you can pile into this pot. For those who say that you can't seem to find things easily. Let's be honest, not everything is going to be in ONE place conveniently located every single time, as much as we'd like it to be. This is why we have a SEARCH function and hopefully it's being used effectively.
Correct, it's not unique to one specific model. But it's between 3 different models of cars, not like the other cars where the same engine is spread out across the whole model line up.

Which V12TT you ask? Why does it matter? There is a HUGE difference between the N/A 5.5L AMG V8 and the Kompressor 5.5L AMG V8 yes, that's why it makes sense to separate them... but when it comes to the V12TT whether it's the AMG or the non-AMG version the differences are marginal.

Let's be realistic about the search function.. it finds you results sometimes yes, but a long with results it also finds truckloads of worthless threads.

That's an okay idea, but the Technical Forums are a long ways down on the list, and people might miss the forum when they first join the site as the majority of traffic is concentrated on top and in the Off-Topic forum discussing how horrible Obama is..

Once again, I am not looking to discuss so much "issues" on this forum.. more so ideas, statistics and technical information.

Like I said the SL, CL and the S-Class are very similar machines with different skin on them. Engine, Transmission, Suspension, etc... is pretty identical, but is spread across 8 different forums on here and has the opposite effect of a "MB Community"

Please no... this is exactly what we do not want... you are introducing even more segregation this way.

Listen.. the reason I brought this up was because I happend to stumble into the SL AMG forum by accident and happened to watch Akademik's video with his car where he mentioned he had a CAI.. I would have never known this. If we had this forum he would have posted this up and all of us could have had CAIs by now...

I'm not sure why this whole thing has to be such a big deal... this forum is FOR the members and runs because of the members here, so why would the administration not cater to the members that support this forum?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Yes
^^^Well said.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
That doesn't even make sense. There are three C class AMG sections, by that logic the S/SL/CL65, the S/SL/CL/CLS/E63, and S/SL/CL/CLS/E55 (which in theory would be broken up between K and non-K engine) should have their own sections, we all know that not feasible or even a remotely good idea!
Perhaps you should go back and check your logic. The C-Class AMG sections are broken up by chassis: 202, 203, 204. Not by engine.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Yes
Perhaps you should go back and check your logic. The C-Class AMG sections are broken up by chassis: 202, 203, 204. Not by engine.
I thought the CL63 and S63 were not part of the W215/W220 chassis...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: * * V12 Biturbo FORUM - MODS/ADMINS PLEASE READ! * *