Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Open letter to the moderators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 909 Likes on 639 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by 604 C63
This. Macbook on chrome with AdBlocker Plus and all I get on this page for example is a small tirerack ad at the top (less than an inch square) and an even smaller Kleeman logo that states they sponsor this forum. I have less than 2 sq inches of ad. Think that is more than reasonable.
I think the issue isn't the adds in the banners and such. People are upset that vendors start so many threads advertising their products. At least thats what I got out of this.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by 604 C63
This. Macbook on chrome with AdBlocker Plus and all I get on this page for example is a small tirerack ad at the top (less than an inch square) and an even smaller Kleeman logo that states they sponsor this forum. I have less than 2 sq inches of ad. Think that is more than reasonable.
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I think the issue isn't the adds in the banners and such. People are upset that vendors start so many threads advertising their products. At least thats what I got out of this.

No,it's not just the banners. I've seen what it looks like when I've been logged out. It's kayos. It seems using a Mac clears up all the other bs.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
Originally Posted by jordanaf
I do not use Facebook, I'm not even on it. I have no problem staying logged in to MBWorld. As a matter of fact, I have a quick-tab that brings me directly to this section. I have no have to log back in or "re-login" as you say, in over a year. And that time was to install a new hard-drive.

Not sure what your post means or what your problem is.
When I visit the usercp for the first time in a day it comes up with the login screen, not the usercp. mbworld is the only vBulletin install that does that for me. The new screen carries a facebook login. Maybe it detects that this browser is also logged into facebook and wants to give me a chance to pick that instead. But I'm not interested, this isn't working correctly.

Also, other than some threads started by vendors, I do not get or see these ads you guys are speaking of. Maybe it's because I use a Mac or that I just have good protection. But I don't have to sift through "annoying" ads.

Not sure what everyone's so *****y about........................especially all these newbies with few posts or recent year joined that are "demanding" something be done. A bunch of us have been here for a while and like it.
We are complaining about threads started, not about banner ads.

Those threads started fill up the "new posts" and "todays posts" search really good, it is actually very annoying. I suppose it is fine for people who only ever visit the one subsection for their own car. But for crossshoppers who want to keep up with how the different models are doing that is a problem.

The ignore list doesn't reduce the spam one bit.

That Don Wrapper guy is particularly nasty. I want to wrap him a bit.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 PM

E89 Z4
FWIW there is a Chrome extension that re-write vBulletin html to actually kill people in your killfile. But that would be just another extension that I have to maintain and for what?

I cannot imagine that this is even remotely in line with "Internet Brands doesn't change policies on forums they buy".

Too bad the mods popped up for only a single blib.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:13 PM

2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
It isn't too bad! There are FS threads on every forum..I enjoy the big build threads and product reviews by members most on this. This is by far the most active C63/Mercedes forum on the web.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 PM

E89 Z4
Anybody who thinks that the amount of spam from Don Wrapper guy is allright should visit the "new posts" search right now.

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
how about the mods setup a rule to where each vendor has ONE thread to show all the goods they have to offer? this would reduce clutter.

they can be stickied at the top, so if someone is looking for a particular company they can click to see what they have etc.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by squid23
Anybody who thinks that the amount of spam from Don Wrapper guy is allright should visit the "new posts" search right now.

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew
How about a screen shot of what you are seeing, cos Im not seeing anything.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by solekeeper
how about the mods setup a rule to where each vendor has ONE thread to show all the goods they have to offer? this would reduce clutter.

they can be stickied at the top, so if someone is looking for a particular company they can click to see what they have etc.
The fix is easy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrolling
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Whats harder to figure out is why my last post keeps showing that link the way it does, with the broken image icon etc
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 PM

E89 Z4
So the good new is that I figured out what is wrong with the custom facebook enabled login screen and the frequent logouts. Whoever did that new screen forgot to put the "keep me logged in" or "remember me" checkbox that the regular vbulletin page has. Needless to say it defaults to off, so after a couple hours you are out. Then you are redirected to the same broken homemade screen where the problem starts over.

Luckily there is a workaround because all you have to do is that to do your login you navigate away from the login screen (of course, right?) and visit an random thread without being logged in. At the top the is a login section which still has the required checkbox.

Not that it matters since the moderators seem to treat this as a one-visit thread that doesn't require any more attention.

Yes, I will screenshots Don Wrapper next time.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 221 Likes on 142 Posts
2010 C63 AMG RIP. 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2013 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by OlegKouz
It isn't too bad! There are FS threads on every forum..I enjoy the big build threads and product reviews by members most on this. This is by far the most active C63/Mercedes forum on the web.
Maybe the ads turn it into the most active forum.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Thanks, Im actually kinda curious.

BTW, that great pic of the bird....my son (who's 9) wants to know if that is an ostrich or an emu. He was reading over my shoulder and spotted it. Lost his mind like only a 9 year old boy can.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly

Not that it matters since the moderators seem to treat this as a one-visit thread that doesn't require any more attention.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Moderators on MBworld are members (like you) and we don't make policy and we have no financial ties to this site. We have a couple more nuclear grade drop-down menus than you but that's about it. I relayed information to members that was provided by an administrator of this site. Personally, I would also like to see a market place for all of our vendors to post their threads thus reducing forum clutter but that decision is not mine to make. I would suggest you start a thread in our Suggestions and Feedback section. That area is monitored by the administrators of this site.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
https://mbworld.org/forums/suggestio...-spamming.html

No responses
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
^As stated, I had contact with several of the vendors and it was after the date you started that thread.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok cool thanks for understanding Rock
Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 465 Likes on 348 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Hi,

I apologize as it was missed. I'm going to move this thread to the Feedback & Suggestion forum.

Excessive bumps and ads is something we will discuss with the vendor as it does not make sense for any vendor or the community to choke a forum with them. We have removed posts/bumps we felt were excessive and will continue to do so when reported. The best way to do that is to report the post using the reported post icon. Thanks!

Bob

Last edited by speedlimit; 02-26-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 PM

E89 Z4
It's all cool. It just looked like there was a single mod visit and then nothing.

Here is an example, and this is with Don Wrapper going comparably easy on us. It was a lot worse around the time of my last message.

This is not OK and it most certainly is not in line what it was before InternetBrands took over.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Hi,

Thank you. If you happen to view 'New Posts' just after a mass bump you will see those type of returns which quickly move down the time line. Report them and we will review with the vendor if it appears to be excessive. Your impression that the volume of ads and bumps has increased is correct as MBworld is substantially larger than it was when IB purchased the community.

Bob
Old 02-28-2015, 11:02 AM

E89 Z4
Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hi,

Thank you. If you happen to view 'New Posts' just after a mass bump you will see those type of returns which quickly move down the time line. Report them and we will review with the vendor if it appears to be excessive. Your impression that the volume of ads and bumps has increased is correct as MBworld is substantially larger than it was when IB purchased the community.

Bob
I don't think so. I constantly miss interesting topics because they were wedged right between Don Wrapper spam.

If things were like you say they are "you will see those type of returns which quickly move down the time line" we wouldn't have this conversation, you see? It is not true. It does damage.

There are better mechanism in Vbulltin. For example, you can have a special kind of announcement post, which will stay on top of forum view for users, no matter what they look at, but they can click it away. That way you don't punish those who want to use the "new posts" or "today's posts" functionality so hard.

You could also hack up "new posts" and "today's posts" to exclude the spam. I don't believe vBulletin has a premade module for it. But hey it isn't like vBulletin is developed anymore, it is dead as a doornail, so hacking it up will become necessary anyway.

It might sound like a lot of work to do that for mbworld alone, but let's be honest, while mbworld is by far the worst spammed InternetBrands forum, you use similar legal spam without implementing it in a useful way on the other forums, too. So your work to make something to have Don Wrapper guy appear in a reasonable manner wouldn't be wasted.

Last edited by squid23; 02-28-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Hi,

Thank you for your post. We are discussing changes that might help reduce the Ad pressure in the forums. The days of individual site 'VB hacking'are long gone, given way to a standard version across IB's network.

Our goal is to find a balance between member expectations to access the community without excessive Ad disruption and vendor expectations to market their products across the community. Both expectations are subjective as some members object to any Ad in the community while others pay no attention. Many vendors are active in the community and sensitive to threads such as these, others visit the community only to place ads. We will do our best to satisfy both and as always kindly report Advertisements and bumps you feel excessive.

Bob
Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just wanted to say that the W204 C63 forum is looking much better in the past few days. Actual content and active threads, without the clutter of bumped vendor threads nobody is interested in.

Excellent - thanks for your attention to this mods, whatever you're doing it seems to be working.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM

E89 Z4
There are more problems.

All the tabs in my Chrome browser that I left open have died overnight with runaway Javascript errors. Only mbworld tabs, and all mbworld tabs.

You were saying about not hacking up vBulletin?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Hi everyone!

I want to update you on actions we have taken relative to ads in the discussion forums. We have created new vendor classified forums under each major forum category which are voluntary. Please allow time for the vendors to be notified via email (should go out this week) of the new forums, hopefully we will see a reduction of ads in the tech forums. Thank you!

Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Open letter to the moderators