Instead of buying a new E55....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 05:15 PM
FSJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Instead of buying a new E55....

There is no question about the new E55 is an awesome car, class by its own like the next-gen M5 and RS6. However being at near $90,000 (with options and possible mark-up), those of us mere mortals who doesn't have a $100 million Swiss bank account begin to wonder if it's really worth that much money and indefinite waiting period. Don't get me wrong. I know how special the new E55 is and it's probably worth every penny but I just hate the waiting! And my dealer doesn't even know when it will be available.

The new E500 with sport package is, in my opinion, can offer 90% of what E55 has. I know it's 1.5 sec slower to 60mph but 6.0sec is still damn quick. I test drove on last weekend and it's an incredible car with speed and look. And the important thing is that you can buy one right now (almost) at $60K. Another bonus is that you CAN get the panoramic roof with E500, which is not offered with E55. With the $30K or so leftover money, you can buy a decent sporty car for real fun driving or just keep it in bank. I know E55 is faster than most other sport car but let's not kid here, it's no sport car and who is going to push a $90K and 4000lb sedan to the limit? Not me. For the money saved, I might rather get a $30K sport car for real weekend driving and use it for pure fun car. If you crash it, you only lose $30K. The new Z could be it or new Subaru STi with 320hp.

Just a thought.... I will probably wait for the new E55 anyway. Man, I hate waiting......
Old 09-17-2002, 05:39 PM

2007 S
If you're trying to justify it against the regular model, you probably don't need it. It's a tuned car, whether its from AMG or some other tuner, its basically that - a sportier car. People who own an MB/AMG model basically get it for that last 10% - basically what you attribute 10% to, others attribute a significant larger percentage in importance to.

Basically, get the car that you want to get, and willing to get. No one is forcing you to get the E55, and if you feel like you have to - then you should probably investigate where your priorities fall. You can Kleeman/Brabus/Renntech a E500 to meet or exceed the performance of the 55, but that's just following a different route to a similar result. Yes it costs more, but thats the differentiating factor.

Ed
Old 09-17-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I've driven a few AMG models and they have the added benefit of completly transforming the vehicle when driving quickly. When loping around in traffic they are essentially the same. It's not always the 0-60 that impresses, but the explosion of going from 60-120 mph on the freeway. The engine is the heart of an AMG model, it's what makes it special. In that regard, maybe the E500 is not 90% of the E55.

Judge your priorities as Ed is saying to dermine how you are going to drive the car. Are the words "track" and "canyon" in your future? Getting two cars will ultimately cost you more through maintenance costs, but then again, you have two separate vehicles.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:02 PM

2012 CLS63
Justin, you describe the virtues of an E55 very well. From 0-60mph, it is not that impressive. Thereafer, the power and brakes can really be appreciated. With all of the torque, I expected a much more quicker start. However this is not possible unless you can get a higher rear end ratio. The specs on the new SL55 indicate MB is using an even lower rear end ratio than in the past. I guess they just want to help their gas usage averages around town and drive 200mph on the Autobaun.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:47 PM

E55 AMG
While the new E is surely an improvement over the old E in many ways, when it comes to driving "excitement", I wouldn't even say the new E500 is 90% of the current E55. I recently test drove the E500 and I'm perfectly happy to wait for the new E55. But if it is around $85-$90K, FSJ has a point. I think might just keep my current E55 for as long as it will last.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:48 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with Justin!

Think AMG is what makes the difference between a regular Benz and and again AMG!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Re: Instead of buying a new E55....

Originally posted by FSJ
The new E500 with sport package is, in my opinion, can offer 90% of what E55 has. I know it's 1.5 sec slower to 60mph but 6.0sec is still damn quick.
I'm not sure what your expectations are, but an E500 is certainly NOT 90% what an E55 will be; no way. There is much more to a car than 0-60. Besides, if you are trying to justify the costs, then you are probably better off with an E500.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Let's not discourage him out of it. It may be hard to justify the cost of a car he has not yet driven. Good luck finding one to drive

Here's an idea. Find an E430 and a current E55 to drive back to back. That might help.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:02 PM

2006 E55 Black
There is another option. Take your existing E55, or go get one for $40k, then add a supercharger. You will get 99% of the performance of the new E55 for maybe $52-55k.

Other than the new supercharger, the new E55 looks to me like only a very modest improvement over the current car. I actually prefer the looks of the W210... the new W211 looks too much like every other wind tunnel designed car out there. From a distance it looks like a Camry or an Accord or gasp, even a Taurus.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:35 AM

E55 AMG
Originally posted by KenE55
There is another option. Take your existing E55, or go get one for $40k, then add a supercharger. You will get 99% of the performance of the new E55 for maybe $52-55k.
Or perhaps even exceed it. The Kleemann E55K that set the new record for the worlds fastest sedan is rated at 607 bhp. Handling is something else however, and I suspect that the new E55 will be on another level compared to the 210 E55. While I like the looks of the new E55, in some ways I too prefer the styling of the current E55.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I think this man's desire and knowledge (or lack thereof) for the performance of an E55 is in his statement that the E500's 0-60 times is "only" 1.5 secs slower.
First off, as someone said, its not only 0-60 times. 1/4 miles, braking, handling....

Secondly, 1.5 seconds is an ETERNITY to anyone who actually appreciates the car for those attributes. People spend lots of money to drop time, and it gets progressively more difficult and expensive to do.
For those who just drive the car everyday to work and back, and dont have fun with it, that "only" answer is what you will typically get. Sounds like my mother, and like my father used to until he experienced the ease in power at your beck and call.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
FSJ, if possible buy the car you really want. Buying an E55 or any AMG car is not just buying transportation to get from Point A to Point B. It is supposed to thrill and ignite your soul and enhance your driving experience. Something like a 'high' or 'euphoria' and the W211 E500 may not excite your soul in the same manner.

The worst thing you could possibly do is buy an E500, drive it, not enjoy it and regret your decision. It is nothing worse than having to drive a car you really don't want while still dreaming of the one you really wanted, especially if you can afford it.

If you can afford it get it.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by E55 KEV
FSJ, if possible buy the car you really want. Buying an E55 or any AMG car is not just buying transportation to get from Point A to Point B. It is supposed to thrill and ignite your soul and enhance your driving experience. Something like a 'high' or 'euphoria' and the W211 E500 may not excite your soul in the same manner.

The worst thing you could possibly do is buy an E500, drive it, not enjoy it and regret your decision. It is nothing worse than having to drive a car you really don't want while still dreaming of the one you really wanted, especially if you can afford it.

If you can afford it get it.
Kev is exactly right, "It is supposed to thrill and ignite your soul and enhance your driving experience." If that's not what your looking for, do yourself a favor and save the extra dollars needed for the "AMG special".

A good example was an older chinese woman that i knew, who bought a CL55. Now i have no idea why she would want a coupe to begin with, but an AMG tuned CL? I am sure she has too much money and decided to spend a bit extra for something she could not possibly enjoy. What a waste, the car could have gone to someone that would be thrilled to have such a vehicle but instead its being driven around town at 1500rpms and probably getting better gas mileage than a battery operated remote control car.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:08 PM

'97 C 280, '06 ML350
i'll add my .02...

i do not own an AMG, YET! my first real experience with the E55 came at last years MB PowerTrip hotlap event. being driven around at blazing speeds, tires smoking, it was unbeleivable! i recently went to my dealer here in No. Va. and asked him to test drive the E55 2002 model. this being my first time driving one, the car, sorry, "machine" totally exceeded any expectations i may have had about a perfomance automobile. now i do not know if you have driven an AMG "machine" before, but if not go NOW to your dealer and test drive one. if you fall in love like i did, then beleive me, it IS worth the wait.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:54 PM

E55 AMG
Originally posted by Tezta
A good example was an older chinese woman that i knew, who bought a CL55. Now i have no idea why she would want a coupe to begin with, but an AMG tuned CL?
During my business trips to Hong Kong, I get the impression that it's all about "prestige" over there. The streets are so crowded, I don't know where you could even drive the car in anger. I suspect she bought the AMG merely as a status symbol, and probably loved the lines of the CL. Love of sports cars knows no age limit. My mother, who is now in her late 60's, still wants a Corvette.

But getting back to the topic at hand. Yes the AMG versions are in another league. If one really wants an E55 and settles for an E500, there will no doubt be regrets. On the other hand, if what one needs is a family luxury car and a sports car, FSJ has a point. For $90K, you could almost get yourself a new E320 and a BMW M3. It's all about priorities.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:46 PM

2001 E55 & 1988 BMW M6
jamesp is absolutely right - FSJ, if you have not driven the E55, do so immediately! If the high performance doesn't immediately grab your attention, and the limited production nature of AMG doesn't stir your soul, then the new E-class is probably sufficient...

Just my $.02...
Old 09-18-2002, 09:15 PM

Clearly the original poster is only guessing (and not very well) at what it's like to drive the W211E55.
Driving the current CLK55 is as close as you can get right now to the pending E55. And the current CLK55 versus the current E500 is NIGHT and DAY different. Not even in the same large ballpark.

BUT, anyone who thinks a 1.5 sec 0-60 difference is negligible, should not spend the money for an AMG. It would be money wasted. Just like the old Chinese lady with the CL55.

Leave the E55 for someone who will appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by mikE55
During my business trips to Hong Kong, I get the impression that it's all about "prestige" over there. The streets are so crowded, I don't know where you could even drive the car in anger. I suspect she bought the AMG merely as a status symbol, and probably loved the lines of the CL. Love of sports cars knows no age limit. My mother, who is now in her late 60's, still wants a Corvette.
Mike,

Actually i meant that i knew that woman in america, california to be exact. I know living in HK you need some status, but i never see any old people driving cars, they usually have sedans and drivers. It depends on where you go, you can actually have a nice drive with you car. I have seen a number of ferraris on the highway towards the airport. But on the HK island you might be able to reach a top speed of 80mph for a very brief period of time.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:05 PM

Nissan Sentra
Couple things, that littlel badge on the decklid indicates that you have a very exclusive car, which in and of itself is of value to most of us. Secondly, the AMG is a handcrafted highperfromance car. I would take a lot of pride knowing my high performance motor was handbuilt. I would also have a high degree of confidence that this car is not only built better, but better able to handle my psychotic right foot and the accompanying laws of physics acting on the car as a result.

These things are not available at all on the standard 500. Not that the 500 is a bad car, but it is not an AMG massaged car.