Sponsored by:

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Royal Purple

I'm currently doing some research on Royal Purple since you guys have been talking it up so much...Would you guys recommend the regular RP for the AMG engine or the XPR-Extreme Performance and Racing?

What scares me is that the XPR specifically says "for vehicle not under waranty." Does this mean that it is somehow worse for your engine or just not API certified like the regular oil?

If someone could point me to independant research on RP that would be good too.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in this info as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Maybe Omey will read this and chime in! I read the same thing but because I don't race everyday I don't think I need it. The regular Royal Purple is great and so far my car loves it too. Not only have I noticed a slight increase in gas mileage but the car's temp. does very well under heat from heavy driving.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
just saw this thread,
k here's some quick info

our cars take royal purple 5w40, it's european car formula also widely and religiously used in the bmw darkside
i've switched my bmws all from mobil 1 0w40 to royal purple couple months ago after doing lots of research and finding out Mobil 1 quality is not the same as it used to be, their ratings have gone down.
so i changed the engine oil as well as the differential fluid in those cars.
the biggest difference i could tell was engine was running smoother, quieter at idle as well as on really cold starts it seemed to be more quiet at first crank.
from my understanding all Mobil 1 oils are on the lighters side of their spec, where as Royal Purple is on the middle to heavier side as well as the added film that creates less friction.
i've been using mobil 1 0w40 since 2002 in all my cars, it's an ok oil but their ratings in the last year has gone down and are not top tier anymore
here's how my 330ci at 107k looks like after using mobil 1 0w40 since 40k
notice no sludge so oil did it's job

but guess what, royal purple in there feels so much smoother, hard to describe the feeling, and it's not just in my head hahah (for a change )

unfortunately Royal Purple doesn't make the required spec differential fluid(gear oil) for our cars, they make 75w90 (which is perfect in bmws) but not in ours since we need 85w90, so you pretty much have to use MB gear oil or other brands in that spec.

the thing is though, you're probably not going to find the 5w40 on the shelf at the local Napa, you have to order it online, i've been buying it from summitracing.com (i never thought i'd be buying stuff from summit unless i got a truck, but what do you know, been buying oil lol)

btw i haven't switched the e55 to royal purple yet since i'm still trying to get rid of 9 more quarts of leftover mobil 1, so in another oil change i'll switch the e55 as well.

hope this helps

edit: regarding the regular vs. Extreme, you want the regular synthetic
the Extreme/Racing version is designed to be used for just that a race, then change it. unless you feel ok with changing it every 100 miles i wouldn't bother with it lol.

Last edited by Eurosport; 11-15-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Royal Purple Launches new 5W40 Oil Specially Formulated for European Cars

For Immediate Release
High Performance Prose, Inc.
818-349-3872

Royal Purple Launches new 5W40 Oil Specially Formulated for European Cars

Porter, TX (February 5, 2007)— Royal Purple has added a new 5W-40 high performance motor oil to their extensive top-of-the line synthetic lubricant line. Royal Purple 5W-40 has all of the performance advantages of other Royal Purple motor oils while meeting API SM and CF warranty requirements as well as European ACEA A2-96 and A3- 02 warranty requirements. 5W- 40 has become an increasing common viscosity specification particularly in European automobiles.

Increase Your Power- Royal Purple motor oil reduces friction and improves combustion efficiency, which translates into more horsepower and torque. Royal Purple has been proven in independent tests to increase horsepower and torque between 3%-5% compared to leading synthetic and conventional oils.

Save Fuel And Money At The Pump- According to independent research done by North Carolina State University, using Royal Purple motor oil instead of other “energy-conserving motor oils” offers fuel economy gains of up to 4.5%. The synthetic fluids’ low coefficient of friction means you’ll be making fewer stops for gas.

Wipe Out Wear- Royal Purple motor oil is made from a blend of synthetic oils and the company’s proprietary, synthetic Synerlec additive technology. Synerlec greatly reduces engine heat and wear. And because it’s extremely tenacious, it adheres to engine surfaces after shutdown, which means you get extra engine protection every time you start up.

Extend Your Drain Intervals-Royal Purple’s 5W40 lasts longer than other motor oils, so you can safely extend your oil change intervals—up to 12,000 miles or more, as long as you change the filter regularly.

Keep It Cool- Royal Purple’s film strength is up to 400% stronger than other leading motor oils, which means the oil reduces both wear and heat to protect the engine, all while keeping friction to a minimum.

About Royal Purple
Royal Purple makes synthetic products for all your automotive needs, including engine oils, transmission fluids, gear oil, coolant additives, fuel system cleaner, power steering fluid, chain lubricant, grease, penetrating lubricant, assembly lube and shop compressor lubricant. For more information on Royal Purple and its products, contact Royal Purple Ltd., One Royal Purple Lane, Porter, TX 77365, 281-354-8600
Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
here's an old article, note that's just one test, but just food for thought a good read

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

btw when it comes to oils imo, it's more important to change your oil/filter more often than what brand of oil you're going to use

Last edited by Eurosport; 11-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Woah!!! Good job on the info. brotha!!!

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Eurosport
here's an old article, note that's just one test, but just food for thought a good read

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

btw when it comes to oils imo, it's more important to change your oil/filter more often than what brand of oil you're going to use
I always knew there was a good reason you are a member here. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Superb info Eurosprot. I think I will give the regular RP (not XPR) a try on my next oil change!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
I always knew there was a good reason you are a member here. Thanks for the info.
The good reason he's in here is the picture of the of the girl with the milk not the info, lol! Every time he posts I cant' help but stare at her licking that milk!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM

2003 e55
ohhhhhhhh!!! thats what shes doing?? AHAHAHAHA.. i was trying to figure out what it was for a minute, but never thought about that
Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
I had royal purple in my Toyota Rav4 2002 before and maybe it's all in my head, but I think it was slightly smoother and quieter, but not much more power. It was way pricy b/c if you dont' do it yourself, you're paying someone to put the oil in AND you gotta suck up the cost of the expensive oil. Especially for a non-mercedes car that you can pop into Jiffy Lube and have it done, you're paying for two sets of oil. They can't just charge you service. But I guess our mercedes are different.

Bottom line, i don't think it's worth the trouble, effort and money unless you're bored and wanna try something new.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
ohhhhhhhh!!! thats what shes doing?? AHAHAHAHA.. i was trying to figure out what it was for a minute, but never thought about that
I can hear her purring and saying Meeeooooowwww, lol...
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
Superb info Eurosprot. I think I will give the regular RP (not XPR) a try on my next oil change!

Wow, me too! I already put the stuff in my wife's Altima SE R.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by Eurosport
just saw this thread,
k here's some quick info

our cars take royal purple 5w40, it's european car formula also widely and religiously used in the bmw darkside
i've switched my bmws all from mobil 1 0w40 to royal purple couple months ago after doing lots of research and finding out Mobil 1 quality is not the same as it used to be, their ratings have gone down.
so i changed the engine oil as well as the differential fluid in those cars.
the biggest difference i could tell was engine was running smoother, quieter at idle as well as on really cold starts it seemed to be more quiet at first crank.
from my understanding all Mobil 1 oils are on the lighters side of their spec, where as Royal Purple is on the middle to heavier side as well as the added film that creates less friction.
i've been using mobil 1 0w40 since 2002 in all my cars, it's an ok oil but their ratings in the last year has gone down and are not top tier anymore
here's how my 330ci at 107k looks like after using mobil 1 0w40 since 40k
notice no sludge so oil did it's job

but guess what, royal purple in there feels so much smoother, hard to describe the feeling, and it's not just in my head hahah (for a change )

unfortunately Royal Purple doesn't make the required spec differential fluid(gear oil) for our cars, they make 75w90 (which is perfect in bmws) but not in ours since we need 85w90, so you pretty much have to use MB gear oil or other brands in that spec.

the thing is though, you're probably not going to find the 5w40 on the shelf at the local Napa, you have to order it online, i've been buying it from summitracing.com (i never thought i'd be buying stuff from summit unless i got a truck, but what do you know, been buying oil lol)

btw i haven't switched the e55 to royal purple yet since i'm still trying to get rid of 9 more quarts of leftover mobil 1, so in another oil change i'll switch the e55 as well.

hope this helps

edit: regarding the regular vs. Extreme, you want the regular synthetic
the Extreme/Racing version is designed to be used for just that a race, then change it. unless you feel ok with changing it every 100 miles i wouldn't bother with it lol.
Wow, that looks like cr*p! I'm also surprised as I ran Mobil 1 15w-50 changed every 12k in our '88 M5 with 180k miles and the engine looked virtually new inside. Same with the previous Audi Turbo Quattro.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by lkfoster
Wow, that looks like cr*p! I'm also surprised as I ran Mobil 1 15w-50 changed every 12k in our '88 M5 with 180k miles and the engine looked virtually new inside. Same with the previous Audi Turbo Quattro.
what are you taking about that a clean engine! no oil sludge, no burnt oil stain on metal. If the bottom half look like the top than this engine will last another 100K mile easy!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
I suppose it's all what you're used to. While I've seen much worse on engines run on dino oil, it still looks pretty bad to me. When I replaced my S38 M5 timing chain at 175k it had no where near as much varnish on top or bottom. Same thing with my Audi turbo quattro with 180k before it. Both had Mobil 1 15w-50 changed at 10k.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 PM

e55
Hello guys,

I'll chime in,

75w-90 Max gear is more than enough protections in our Diffs. I ran with it in my car for about 8k miles before I sold the car. The engine oil I ran 10w-30 but 5w-40 would be an even better option.

RP is far superior to Mobil1 in so many ways, infact theres a big movement in the BMW community moving away from Mobil1 b/c their oils are actually inferior to many others on the market. for a TRUE high performance oil you need to go with the more niche companies like Redline and RP, and between the two RP is definitely better having tested many of both oils myself.

Royal Purple Race oils are meant for race application, they are meant more about absolute max power for short intervals and aren't meant for long term legevity like their street oils. With that said want into ANY legit race shop, the only oil you see on their shelves is always RP. You aren't mario andretti, get the normal street stuff lol

RP oil is good for roughly 7-8k vs. 3-4k of most oils, you still should get in the habit of replacing the filter ever 3-4k miles but the oil you can run longer. I replace everything ever 3-4k just to be on the safe side (I dont' drive more than 5-6k a year so about twice a year).
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55 PWR
Hello guys,

I'll chime in,

75w-90 Max gear is more than enough protections in our Diffs. I ran with it in my car for about 8k miles before I sold the car. The engine oil I ran 10w-30 but 5w-40 would be an even better option.
Thanks for clearing this out for me. I just put RP 75W90 in last week and I was a little worry when i here about 85W90

btw i thought it was just a name when they call it Royal PURPLE. the fluid is Purple. DOn't know about the motor oil, haven use it yet.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I just changed my motor oil, diff fluid and trans fluid with all RP products.
I had a few questions and wrote directly to David Canitz at Royal Purple.
He specified which products to put in my clk500 and why.
He was VERY forthcoming with information.

But the question of the day....does my car run better?........The subtle things I noticed are, it shifts smoother and goes into gear smoother.
But I bought these products for my peace of mind - longevity of my car.

Motor Oil - 5w40.
Trans Fluid - MAX ATF.
Diff Fluid - 75w.

Last edited by Vabene7; 02-09-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RP increase 8 HP & 6 FT/Lb TQ

Wow! i'm sold. RP next oil change.

Horse Power TV tested RP 5W30 gain 8HP & 6 FT/Lb TQ

check out video

http://www.royalpurple.com/index.html

btw, is Straight 40 the same as 0W40

Last edited by Peter_02AMG; 02-12-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
..........no doubt some of this is hype and BS, but say one was interested in using Royal Purple, the next question for me would be; what is the possible down side of Royal purple? Can RP be harmful?

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 02-12-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 W210 E55// 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
Actually Ted,

I thought the same thing. But after putting 5w40 in my car, I started her up, drove her for about an hour. I cannot feel the engine at all through the steering wheel. It was never that bad to start with, but it's smoother than Mobil 1. Mobile has changed it's formular which isn't refined as much. As I understand RP uses molly, molly can clog up oil passesges and cause sludge if it isn't changed.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........no doubt some of this is hype and BS, but say one was interested in using Royal Purple, the next question for me would be; what is the possible down side of Royal purple? Can RP be harmful?

Ted
At work we have numerous pieces of rotating equipment that operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The purpose of the rotating equipment is to carry by products from oil to other locations for further processing.

Three years ago we switched to royal purple as the oil is used to lubricate the bearings and couplings. During maintenace pumps are taken off of service for repairs such as blown seals, damaged bearings, etc.

After many maintenance headaches associated with "gumming of the internals", we now exclusively use Mobil 1 and I can tell you that reliability is up and in my business, that has a direct result on revenue.

We couldn't get rid of the royal purple quick enough. To each it's on, but I will continue to use Mobil 1 in my cars based on my visual inspections.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple