W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket suspension opinions (Brabus, K, KW, HR, etc)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55K
aftermarket suspension opinions (Brabus, K, KW, HR, etc)

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to gather some opinion on different aftermarket suspension options for our chassis. Here are the options I've come up with... I'd like something that's not too harsh, but has less body roll than stock. We also have some pretty crummy roads around town, so nothing too crazy. I'm not sure if these are the best prices available either. Does anyone have experience or feedback with a given set-up or advise a different set-up?

Item-------------------------cost------lowering
Brabus springs and shock----$2195--------0.75"
Brabus springs only----------$595---------0.75"
Kleemann springs only*------$385---------1.2" *K dampers are not available
KW coilovers----------------$2125-------0.8-2.0"
H&R springs only------------$247----------1.2"
eibach springs---------------$300---------1.2"
bilstein shocks---------------$350--------------
koni shocks------------------$450-------------
evosport springs + shocks----$1241-------3/4"?
Carlsson springs +shocks-----$1299-------?

Thoughts?

Last edited by jeff.bisonett; 03-21-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
I would go with Eibach Pro-kit w/ factory pads and Koni shocks. I have on H&R with factory Bilstein shock & pad #1 and the ride is very mushy, too much body roll on turn.

I bought a set of Bilstein HP shock while back and didn't have time to get it installed. I'm going to try getting it install and see if it improve any. If not I will swap it out for Koni yellow shock.

Eibach & Koni have alway been a good combo on my BMW M3

Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
you should ad the euro springs available from Evosport to the list, i believe they drop the car about 3/4 of an inch
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Nice choices you have. I settled for the koni adjustable shocks and H&R sport springs and could not be more happier. The neat thing about the Koni's is the ability to be adjustable depending on your driving pleasure. Mine is set for bext handling since I very seldom take longer than 30 to 45 minute drives.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Nice choices you have Jeff . I recently went with the Bilsteins sports and H&Rs, the ride is comfortable , a little harsher, better body roll and stiff in a good way. I am very happy with the feel of the car, what I am disappointed in the the fact that the drop seem to be unpredictable with the H&Rs, I used the #3 pads in the rear, and #2 in front. Not too low , just to be on the safe side with the pots and holes, and able to retain that raked look which I did several times on my 126 Coupes before...it didnt happen with the W210, I have the rears sitting great, barely 1/2" over the top of the tires, but the front didnt drop as much as it should have according to specs, the gap is too big I have about 1.5", and now I have to fiddle with it, going to #1 pad or, cutting springs which I am trying to avoid, so keep that in mind.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know my take on this J!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM

2001 E55K
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I would go with Eibach Pro-kit w/ factory pads and Koni shocks. I have on H&R with factory Bilstein shock & pad #1 and the ride is very mushy, too much body roll on turn.

I bought a set of Bilstein HP shock while back and didn't have time to get it installed. I'm going to try getting it install and see if it improve any. If not I will swap it out for Koni yellow shock.

Eibach & Koni have alway been a good combo on my BMW M3

Thanks Peter +1 for Koni, +1 for eibach

Originally Posted by jordanst2
you should ad the euro springs available from Evosport to the list, i believe they drop the car about 3/4 of an inch
Thanks Jordan, added evoport and carlsson to the list

Originally Posted by 4runner
Nice choices you have. I settled for the koni adjustable shocks and H&R sport springs and could not be more happier. The neat thing about the Koni's is the ability to be adjustable depending on your driving pleasure. Mine is set for bext handling since I very seldom take longer than 30 to 45 minute drives.
Thanks 4runner, thats 2 votes for Konis, 1 for H&R

Originally Posted by maxwerks
Nice choices you have Jeff . I recently went with the Bilsteins sports and H&Rs, the ride is comfortable , a little harsher, better body roll and stiff in a good way. I am very happy with the feel of the car, what I am disappointed in the the fact that the drop seem to be unpredictable with the H&Rs, I used the #3 pads in the rear, and #2 in front. Not too low , just to be on the safe side with the pots and holes, and able to retain that raked look which I did several times on my 126 Coupes before...it didnt happen with the W210, I have the rears sitting great, barely 1/2" over the top of the tires, but the front didnt drop as much as it should have according to specs, the gap is too big I have about 1.5", and now I have to fiddle with it, going to #1 pad or, cutting springs which I am trying to avoid, so keep that in mind.
Thanks Max, sounds like I should try several pads to make sure it's right...

Originally Posted by JamE55
You know my take on this J!
I know! I wish they still made the speed sensitive Kleemann dampers... oh well

so far I'm seeing 1 vote for each of the following:
Koni + eibach
Koni + H&R
Bilstein + H&R
Kleemann

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Remember, when chosing springs you have to decide between linear rate or progressive rate.

Eibachs and Vogtlands are progressive rate which is why they are more forgiving during daily driving but just as firm at the limits. H&R is a linear spring and it has a very harsh ride.

Bilstein HDs are basically heavy duty factory shocks, Bilstein sports are firmer with a 1" shorter body (meant for lowered cars).

I would opt for a votland or eibach setup (vogt= 1.4" , eibach = 1.2"). Eibach is probably best balance between comfort, ride height, price & performance. vogtland a close 2nd. H&R is heavily biased on performance but suffers on ride quality and is big drop.

Its all a game of compromise, you have to decide which is most important to you.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
not directly relevant.. but i had a 97 m3 sedan with billstien sports and H & R's imo, the ride was too harsh for daily driving, of course this setup may yield a very different result for the E55's
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 AM

2000 E55
let us know which one you go with and how the ride is. i am thinking about changing the suspension also on my car.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:29 AM

2001 E55K
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
Remember, when choosing springs you have to decide between linear rate or progressive rate.

Eibachs and Vogtlands are progressive rate which is why they are more forgiving during daily driving but just as firm at the limits. H&R is a linear spring and it has a very harsh ride.

Bilstein HDs are basically heavy duty factory shocks, Bilstein sports are firmer with a 1" shorter body (meant for lowered cars).

I would opt for a votland or eibach setup (vogt= 1.4" , eibach = 1.2"). Eibach is probably best balance between comfort, ride height, price & performance. vogtland a close 2nd. H&R is heavily biased on performance but suffers on ride quality and is big drop.

Its all a game of compromise, you have to decide which is most important to you.
Very good points. Sounds more and more like the H&R, while being the least expensive, is also the harshest.

Originally Posted by jordanst2
not directly relevant.. but i had a 97 m3 sedan with billstien sports and H & R's imo, the ride was too harsh for daily driving, of course this setup may yield a very different result for the E55's
Sounds like I should stay away from the H&Rs...

Originally Posted by croweld
let us know which one you go with and how the ride is. i am thinking about changing the suspension also on my car.
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
K to the L to the E...........
Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I ran H&R sports and Bilstein sports on my old E420. Although I didn't mind the tighter/harsher ride they handled pretty well.

On my 01 E55 I ran Eibach Pro with Bilstein Sport and must say, MUCH better ride. I got the height I was looking for on 19's and the nice ride. The car rode much smoother for everyday driving and handled really well when put to the test. My buddy had Vogtlands on his and the ride was a bit to rough for me.

H&R makes or at least used to make a Cupkit but it's for the 6 cyl. models only. Mike (the doc) had this on his E320 and the ride was really nice, just FYI...

Good luck on your choice and post results!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
I ran H&R sports and Bilstein sports on my old E420. Although I didn't mind the tighter/harsher ride they handled pretty well.

On my 01 E55 I ran Eibach Pro with Bilstein Sport and must say, MUCH better ride. I got the height I was looking for on 19's and the nice ride. The car rode much smoother for everyday driving and handled really well when put to the test. My buddy had Vogtlands on his and the ride was a bit to rough for me.

H&R makes or at least used to make a Cupkit but it's for the 6 cyl. models only. Mike (the doc) had this on his E320 and the ride was really nice, just FYI...

Jeff, If I had to do it all over again and after driving my car a bit and hearing other members, I would go with the Bilsteins and Eibach, I will report again after a drive the car some more, but I cant for sure say it is a harsher ride. Roads here in Miami are MUCH better than New York, so I willing to give it a shot but if the roads where you are , arent that good, then stay away from H&Rs. Best of luck and keep us posted. Regards,
Max
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM

2001 E55K
Originally Posted by Eurosport
K to the L to the E...........
I hear ya... just wish they still made those dampers

Originally Posted by jimmydagreek

Thanks for the feedback, Jimmy! More and more it sounds like Eibach and Bilstein Sport is the preferred option.

Originally Posted by maxwerks
Jeff, If I had to do it all over again and after driving my car a bit and hearing other members, I would go with the Bilsteins and Eibach, I will report again after a drive the car some more, but I cant for sure say it is a harsher ride. Roads here in Miami are MUCH better than New York, so I willing to give it a shot but if the roads where you are , arent that good, then stay away from H&Rs. Best of luck and keep us posted. Regards,
Max
Alright, another for Eibach Bilstein, thanks Max!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 PM

2000 E55
Just my 2¢ I but on HR's and bilstein, but if I were to do it again, I'd definitely go with Koni. Mostly because they're adjustable. Everyone has different opinions on what is too harsh or soft, so having the ability to adjust it only makes sense. And a small plug for me, I work at

http://www.performanceshock.com

I'm not going to claim I know it all, or even more than I know what I like. I do find it hard to put down good money on fashion kits from Kleeman, Brabus, or the like. They may be awesome at tuning my engine, but where do they get the suspension stuff? They most definitely don't make their own springs, they just have them made. Does HR or Eibach make them? Or are they made is some third world sweatshop? LOL, you don't know.

As for shocks, well, the same holds true. If you go out and buy a HR cup kit that has shocks and springs by HR, well, who makes that shock. HR doesn't! It's probably make by KW, or the like. And honestly, being in the business for the few years that I have, I've learned that Bilstien doesn't have the greatest service or product. I find Koni much better, and again adjustable. We are Koni dealers, and that might lead you to think I'm biased, but I really do think Koni is a better product. So again, I'd stay away from any shock that isn't from a genuine shock manufacturer.

Also, Koni has just recently come out with a FSD shock for the W210 chassis. It' really great in that it has an extra valve that helps flow in certain frequencies. This basically gives the best of both worlds, because it will give you a nice compliant ride, for example it absorbs pot holes nicely. And it handles higher shock speeds with more resistance, therefore, making it sporty as well. Although, if true sport is your aim, the adjustable one is perhaps a better option. I just thought you guys should know about the FSD. It is used in F1 after all!

I also dyno graphed my original E55 Bilstiens against my Bilstien replacements, and found then not too different. They definitely had more force, which they should over a shock with 145k miles. I will try and post those graphs. I also dyno tested the springs, and found the HR's and the originals to be nearly identical in rate, only the HR's are shorter. It's funny how HR will never give out their street car spring rates.

If anyone has questions, please call at 707.938.5664 I'll try and answer any questions and help you out!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM

2000 E55
Attached is a Graph of my old original Bilsteins tuned by AMG vs the new Bilstein Sports. Again, I really do suggest and recommend the Koni product though. You can see the higher forces generated by the newer shock, which makes sense since it's being compared to a worn out shock with 140k miles. The HR springs dynoed out to 450 lbs, the same, within a range of 2%, as the originals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Shock.pdf (23.8 KB, 265 views)
Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by technoE55
Again, I really do suggest and recommend the Koni product though. You can see the higher forces generated by the newer shock, which makes sense since it's being compared to a worn out shock with 140k miles. The HR springs dynoed out to 450 lbs, the same, within a range of 2%, as the originals.
You should become a forum sponsor like the other vendors here if you're pushing your product like that.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 PM

'99 E55 AMG
Just another opinion....I recently replaced my original AMG front shocks with exact OEM AMG shocks (Bilstein) sold only at Mercedes Benz (unfortunately for a very high price)

I also dropped my car about .25-.50 an inch by replacing my #3 pads with #1 pads. The car handles great....the ride has not suffered and I am very happy with the overall ride height now as well. I recommend this combination to you, because Mercedes spent a lot of time and engineering to get the E55 right the first time.

Just my 2 cents worth....
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Get the euro springs if no track time, otherwise you might consider the KW V.2

Seems support is finally reaching the W210/W208 community outside of the typical MB tuning companies!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI, I spoke with the Tech at Eibach today, the set for the our cars or ( E430 really ) : the fronts are Linear and the rears are progressive, thats not the rule for al Eibach springs, that changes based on the vehicle, apparently for our cars, thats what they designed them to be.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Someone try with D2 racing adjustable? i hear about that but never seen any comments about.. personally i proven an M3 E46 with D2 racing & confort stability & handling are impressive, close or superior for the KW (& I LOVE THE KW VARIANT suspension)

Fabio Daniel
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Someone try with D2 racing adjustable? i hear about that but never seen any comments about.. personally i proven an M3 E46 with D2 racing & confort stability & handling are impressive, close or superior for the KW (& I LOVE THE KW VARIANT suspension)

Fabio Daniel
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...er-review.html

Ksports are made from the same manufacturer that make the D2 (made in taiwan) so you can get the same performance as a KW or H&R coilover for about half the price.

As for the OP, if you want a trackable car get coilovers. Ive driven the 210 E55, and the body roll is just appalling. Lowering springs just give you the look and very little performance gain.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM

1999 CLK320
i'm also in search of the right lowering springs for my daily driver. with the potholes around here i don't want HRs to mate with my 40 and 35 series tires.

i'm thinking about the eibachs to go with my bilstein sports. i had HR springs on backorder since 3/21/09 and they're on backorder until 6/21. ...not meant to be.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM

2002 E55
Does anyone know the type of springs, linear or progressive, the OEM US or Euro are?
Thanks.

Last edited by Bellefonte; 04-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket suspension opinions (Brabus, K, KW, HR, etc)