Need HELP diagnose power lost from Kleemann S/C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Tacjam
From what I'm reading it looks like Matrix Integrated is trying to help you out. I hope they take care of you Peter. They SHOULD cover all the expenses you incurred for being stranded. I hope you get the car...not only running correctly, but I also hope you get the power you paid for! Keep us informed, we only have a few choices for installers in the NW. Also, if you need help with the Stereo install...let me know.

Jim
thank Jim for all the audio advice.

I Just had a talk with Jeremy and he is senting a enclosure trailer to pick up the car and take it back to there place. I hope they can iron out all the problems. I'll let you guy know how it goes.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
thank Jim for all the audio advice.

I Just had a talk with Jeremy and he is senting a enclosure trailer to pick up the car and take it back to there place. I hope they can iron out all the problems. I'll let you guy know how it goes.
Thanks for updating everyone Peter, much appreciated.

Yes, we'll see you soon with our truck and enclosed trailer.

We'll work with Kleemann to get the E55 sorted.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by jeremyw
Hi Ted,

With all due respect as I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years, how do you know who we are? Have you ever been to our facility? Have you ever seen the quality or meticulousness of our workmanship? Have you ever met us or our ex-master Mercedes dealer tech (who was the head of the first and oldest US Mercedes dealer's Motorsport dept)? Ever spoken to us via phone, email, ??
I'd kindly urge you to think about accusations you make before you make them.

I wouldn’t call it “tuning” as everyone knows it(ie there’s no ECU programming needed)—I’d call it “adaptation.” As we informed Peter of via phone and email before he came to pick up the E55, “the only calibration we’re not able to do [right now on the street] due to lack of long enough hills here is the [N1/L1 adaptation] 3rd gear, 50% throttle (~3000rpms) for 30seconds. This will cease the mild “bucking” when in traffic at low throttle (when I drove the car over 100miles I didn’t notice it, but as well I didn’t get stuck in traffic like Jon did).” It was Peter’s choice to come down, pick up the E55, and try to perform this in Seattle—if he didn’t feel comfortable doing this himself then we could have taken it to a loaded dyno for him to perform this. (FYI, we adapted jeff.bisonett’s Kleemann stg3 on the street). It wasn’t like we had no clue what was happening or why, or what was needed to correct it. We informed Peter of what was going on.

............listen, just fix the guys car up. I have had no dealings with you so it is not personal. Whatever your explanations are, the guy has gone through considerable hardship after you worked on his car. That shouldn't happen. I hope this serves as a lesson to those of you that modify customers" cars. You can really really cause someone a lot of distress by not being thorough. When that car leaves your shop, it tells the entire world something about you. If the car brakes down 5 minutes later, it is speaking about your workmanship. I have my opinion, but I won't fan the flames as I want Peter to be taken care of.

Ted
Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 PM

2001 E55K
Jeff, Have you try hooking up a boost gauge to see what your S/C is making?
I have not. I will do that this weekend and let you know how much boost and what size my pulley is for certain.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............listen, just fix the guys car up. I have had no dealings with you so it is not personal. Whatever your explanations are, the guy has gone through considerable hardship after you worked on his car. That shouldn't happen. I hope this serves as a lesson to those of you that modify customers" cars. You can really really cause someone a lot of distress by not being thorough. When that car leaves your shop, it tells the entire world something about you. If the car brakes down 5 minutes later, it is speaking about your workmanship. I have my opinion, but I won't fan the flames as I want Peter to be taken care of.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I didn't think you had ever dealt with us.

We appreciate your concern. We’re taking care of Peter’s E55 as we take both our business and our client relationships very personally. This is why we (the owners of the company) are driving over 6hrs round trip to pick it up, bring it back here, and sort out what has changed with the car after it left here originally (Peter's initial impression with the power was good; "the power feel great! I very happy with the extra power. thanks, Peter" so without seeing the car yet we're assuming that at least his K&N took out the MAF before/during his post dyno session). If we didn't care about him or his vehicle after it left our facility, you wouldn't see us here on MBWorld wanting to make it right.

Have a great day!

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-16-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 AM

I'm sure you guys already tried this, but just in case you didnt - Did you unplug the battery from the car after swapping to a new maf sensor?

I had the same issue, had a bad MAF, replaced it and it made no difference. Ran across a thread later on saying I had to unplug my battery for 30 min to allow the maf sensor to reset and re-adjust. what do you know, after I hooked up the battery, car felt totally different and made a HUGH difference.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Tacjam
This all sound like the HPS supercharger crap I've read. Peter, the installer that installed your Supercharger is a recommended Kleeman supercharger installer? If so i would start calling Kleeman direct. As you stated, you just paid 15K for 48hp.....that's a little more than you can get from Headers...10% or 35hp and X-pipe another 5hp. You also said you have Stage II..WTF, they better do right by you!

Jim
At least HPS tried to fix AMGSc s/c. But this is total BS. Peter shells out over 15k for what 48 hp? And Kleemann and the tuning shop tells him to go to hell and doesn't want to help. Until Peter comes online. If anything people should blast Kleemann. Give Peter a refund or fix the problem.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
Hi Ted,

We appreciate your concern. We’re taking care of Peter’s E55 as we take both our business and our client relationships very personally. This is why we (the owners of the company) are driving over 6hrs round trip to pick it up, bring it back here, and sort out what has changed with the car after it left here originally (Peter's initial impression with the power was good; "the power feel great! I very happy with the extra power. thanks, Peter" so without seeing the car yet we're assuming that at least his K&N took out the MAF before/during his post dyno session). If we didn't care about him or his vehicle after it left our facility, you wouldn't see us here on MBWorld wanting to make it right.

Have a great day!
The only reason you are helping Peter because he came online. And you are worried about your reputation. I have dealt with many shops that play games and blame someone else. The only person at the end that loses is the owner. If it wasn't for mbworld.org you would of told him to go to hell. Like most shops. The guy spent over 15k with you guys. Be a man, step up to the plate and fix the problems. Odds, are its a installation problem. If not then somebody should take Kleemann to court for false advertisment.

PS. Get off Ted Baldwins back
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Hi Ted,

Have a great day!
...........Think about what you just said. You installed a 15K supercharger and you and the car owner are "feeling" the power. Honestly, think about it. You never dynoed the car before or after. Forget about the owner for a second. How about you, the installer? You have absolutely no curiosity about how much power the car actually makes. What if the car made 2RWHP, how will you ever know? You will continue to install the the s/c the same way in multiple customers cars all making 2RWHP with you having no clue. Think about it.

........What if all the s/c's you ever installed all made the same 48RWHP as Peter's car? What if you made a mistake and did something wrong? You never dynoed them, so you have no idea. I think you should consider Peter a blessing. What happened to him will cause your shop to now lift yourselves up to function up to standard. No more s/c installs without before and after dynos. You don't have to be a performance shop. If you choose to, then wellcome to reality. People that pay $15K for a s/c will hold your feet to the fire.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-18-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
: owned:

Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jeremy is coming up here to pick up the car tomorrow. I have to give him a chance to make it right. One thing I like about Jeremy is no matter what I bit*ch about the problem or how many time he never gave me an attitude and that is a plus for me. Kleemann is curious about these problems too. So we'll see how it turn out.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Customers are always right regardless, bit@hing or no bit@hing.... Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 AM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vicc430DP
At least HPS tried to fix AMGSc s/c. But this is total BS. Peter shells out over 15k for what 48 hp? And Kleemann and the tuning shop tells him to go to hell and doesn't want to help. Until Peter comes online. If anything people should blast Kleemann. Give Peter a refund or fix the problem.
Vicc430DP,

We NEVER EVER told Peter to go to hell. Have you read any of my posts above?

Peter faxed his first CarbConn dyno sheet to us on the weekend of 3/31/08. He also sent an email that weekend. I responded to that weekend email of his on Monday 3/31/08 at 930am;

"Hi Peter,

We received your dyno sheet fax as well, thanks.
I’ve sent this to Cory at Kleemann USA to get his thoughts. I’ll let you know.

Best regards,
Jeremy Williams
Matrix Integrated Inc."

I continued to reply to every email (within 24-36hrs) he sent for 2 weeks, many times never hearing back from him (I even sent an email out of the blue to him on 4/4/08 checking back to see if he had received my 4/1/08 email).

All the while I had been responding to his emails, I found this post of his almost 2weeks later and that's when I responded to his post.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Jeremy - Only speaking for myself but bottom line is we just want your shop to do the right thing which is properly diagnose and come up with a solution. 15k is not that easy to come by these days. I for one already have a bitter taste w/Kleemann by just reading this thread. I’m sure you know what I mean

MBWorld with all of it’s members would like to hear about the outcome from you…..the source

Best regards,

Johnny
Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
...........Think about what you just said. You installed a 15K supercharger and you and the car owner are "feeling" the power. Honestly, think about it. You never dynoed the car before or after. Forget about the owner for a second. How about you, the installer? You have absolutely no curiosity about how much power the car actually makes. What if the car made 2RWHP, how will you ever know? You will continue to install the the s/c the same way in multiple customers cars all making 2RWHP with you having no clue. Think about it.

........What if all the s/c's you ever installed all made the same 48RWHP as Peter's car? What if you made a mistake and did something wrong? You never dynoed them, so you have no idea. I think you should consider Peter a blessing. What happened to him will cause your shop to now lift yourselves up to function up to standard. No more s/c installs without before and after dynos. You don't have to be a performance shop. If you choose to, then wellcome to reality. People that pay $15K for a s/c will hold your feet to the fire.

Ted
Correct, it is a blessing. Remember AMGSC dyno his vehicle with the HPS kit and saw something like 40 HP. It was Josh from House of Power that found the fuel issue problem. I think it was on 2 or 3 cars. So HPS fixed the fuel problem and selling kits now. (Jim from Mech Tech told me this.) I am considering an HPS kit. Kleemann should be thrilled because someone is finding their problems. Instead of blaming the performance shop or customer figure out what happen and fix it.

Ted you are right. I don't have 15k to spend on a Kleemann supercharger for 40 HP. My wife would cut off my ***** for that
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
Vicc430DP,

We NEVER EVER told Peter to go to hell. Have you read any of my posts above?

Peter faxed his first CarbConn dyno sheet to us on the weekend of 3/31/08. He also sent an email that weekend. I responded to that weekend email of his on Monday 3/31/08 at 930am;

"Hi Peter,

We received your dyno sheet fax as well, thanks.
I’ve sent this to Cory at Kleemann USA to get his thoughts. I’ll let you know.

Best regards,
Jeremy Williams
Matrix Integrated Inc."

I continued to reply to every email (within 24-36hrs) he sent for 2 weeks, many times never hearing back from him (I even sent an email out of the blue to him on 4/4/08 checking back to see if he had received my 4/1/08 email).

All the while I had been responding to his emails, I found this post of his almost 2weeks later and that's when I responded to his post.
Jeremy,

If you properly installed the kit, dyno before/after, proper testing, then Peter would be satisfied and not came online. I think Peter felt like you put him on the back burner and gave him the run around. And for 15k I would be pissed to . Then his belt breaks leaving him stranded on a local street corner. If the product was properly installed and worked then we wouldn't be here. Instead he would be posting a good experiance with your company.

What gets me is why would you let this vehicle leave your shop not 100% running properly? It's your company's duty to test the product to make sure its working.

Seriously, if you do a brake job for someone, do you release the vehicle without checking if there is air in the brake line?

I'm not sure if your a legit performance shop or a high school automotive shop letting students working on vehicles for extra credits.

Last edited by Vicc430DP; 04-19-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:40 PM

'03 E55 AMG
The only reason you are helping Peter because he came online. And you are worried about your reputation. I have dealt with many shops that play games and blame someone else. The only person at the end that loses is the owner. If it wasn't for mbworld.org you would of told him to go to hell. Like most shops. The guy spent over 15k with you guys. Be a man, step up to the plate and fix the problems. Odds, are its a installation problem. If not then somebody should take Kleemann to court for false advertisment.

PS. Get off Ted Baldwins back
I'd invite you to read our client testimonial section;

http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/testimonials.php
Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
I'd invite you to read our client testimonial section;

http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/testimonials.php
Jeremyw;

I think you are defeating the purpose here my friend. Yes, you may have a good track record with past customers. But we are discussing Peter's experiance with Kleemann and yourself. I went to HPS website and they have alot of client testimonials, but AMGSC will say otherwise. If you like me to copy and paste Peter's opening post I can.

My question to you; is how are you going to fix the problem. 2nd whom pays for it. 3rd if it was an installation issue, will you apologizes to him. I think in the long run, all we want is for him to be happy with his purchase.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM

'03 E55 AMG

Ted
Hi Ted,

I do agree with you that dynoing pre/post on the same dyno is a beneficial exercise. This is something we will press on our clients more if they truly want to "see" the power gain on paper. Honestly many clients don't feel the need or want to dyno pre/post. This is their prerogative. Sure, we're curious if it made 390whp or 392whp or 394whp, but if they don't want to dyno their vehicle, then they don't want to dyno their vehicle. That's pretty simple.

Regarding Peter's whp gain on the CarbConn dyno sheet shown above, this is assuming that the dyno facility is creating a controlled and accurate test situation; dynoing in 4th gear(1:1 ratio, "If it's done in 3rd, you'll see numbers at least 20 HP lower, because the car isn't under as much load as it would be in 4th, therefore it doesn't make as much boost pressure either."), has numerous squirrel cage fans cooling the vehicle properly, they're allowing sufficient time between dyno runs, there is good air movement around the dyno cell so the vehicle is not ingesting it's own exhaust fumes, their AFR meter has been calibrated, etc...all questions we've asked of Peter for weeks with no conclusive responses (he says the vehicle was dynoed both in 3rd and 4th gear, they have one fan, vehicle made 1.9psi stock!, etc).

Since you don't know us and have never been to our facility Ted, I don't believe you are aware of the reference points we have. Every year we build (and have built) numerous $10-25k 400bhp, 450bhp, 580bhp Audi 2.7T's(11.89 1/4), 500-640bhp Porsche 996TT's, we modify 997TT's, etc. We just finished building a 460bhp S4 2.7T, we have another in two weeks, we have another after that as well. We have an in-house W211 E55 and 640bhp 996TT. These vehicles are reference points and "standards" by which we can measure others by.

Have we dynoed some of these project vehicles on our in-house Mustang AWD dyno(sold to STaSIS awhile back) to make sure they're making accurate power? Yes. Have we dynoed all of these vehicles? No--that decision has been up to the client. Without post-dynoing every vehicle, can we confidently surmise that it's running correctly and making accurate power? Yes. Do we know if it's making 364whp or 362whp? No. Does the client care if they're missing out on 2whp? Apparently not or else they would have wanted us to dyno it. Again, this is their choice, it's THEIR vehicle.

So, beyond looking at the mechanical data, we know when a project car feels (before ever post-dynoing it) powerful as it should and when something doesn't feel quite right. We know how jeff.bisonett's stg3 W210 E55 compares to a "standard" 450bhp S4 2.7T. We know how Peter's stg2 felt compared to Jeff's before it left (not as strong as Jeff's since Peter's doesn't have DPs/headers but definitely like a rocket---powerful enough to light up the tires in 1st-3rd gears in the dry if you weren't careful). If Peter's E55 wouldn't have felt right to us, it would have never left before being sorted out. The reason it did leave was because it felt correct to us. Now that we have it back here we can find out what might have changed with it. We want to make sure it's right, hence why we've picked it up to sort whatever it is, out.

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-19-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Jeremy,

If you properly installed the kit, dyno before/after, proper testing, then Peter would be satisfied and not came online. I think Peter felt like you put him on the back burner and gave him the run around. And for 15k I would be pissed to . Then his belt breaks leaving him stranded on a local street corner. If the product was properly installed and worked then we wouldn't be here. Instead he would be posting a good experiance with your company.

What gets me is why would you let this vehicle leave your shop not 100% running properly? It's your company's duty to test the product to make sure its working.

Seriously, if you do a brake job for someone, do you release the vehicle without checking if there is air in the brake line?

I'm not sure if your a legit performance shop or a high school automotive shop letting students working on vehicles for extra credits.
Hi Vic,

Well now of course no one can speak for Peter but I'm not sure how/why Peter would have thought we put him on the back burner or gave him the run around when we responded to his initial low-power email within 1.5hrs of receiving it on Monday (3/31) morning and we continued to respond to every email of his within 24-36hrs.
From what I have gathered from him, perhaps he felt like we were asking the questions we were in order to stall. This is not the case. We were asking the questions we were to make sure that the data presented to us/Kleemann was representative of "standardized" data; dynoing in 4th gear, proper vehicle cooling, etc. Unfortunately this was not the case (they dynoed in 3rd, one fan, etc) so without standardized data, there was no way to offer a quick answer to Peter on what was going on without looking at the vehicle ourselves. Since the vehicle is here now we can test properly on a local Mustang dyno (same dyno jeff.bisonett dynoed on) and show standardized data (4th gear, MULTIPLE squirrel cage fans, etc).

See my post above about his car leaving.

On the brake job regarding air in the lines, if we're replacing pads or pads/rotors, there won't be any air in the line resulting from our work...so we must be installing SS brake lines, a BBK, or flushing/bleeding the brake system.
To answer your question, do we drive EVERY vehicle before and after working on it? Yes. On project vehicles, do we drive them [before and] after for at least 50-150mi? Yes.

Check our about us page for more info;
http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/about.php

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-19-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Jeremy is coming up here to pick up the car tomorrow. I have to give him a chance to make it right. One thing I like about Jeremy is no matter what I bit*ch about the problem or how many time he never gave me an attitude and that is a plus for me. Kleemann is curious about these problems too. So we'll see how it turn out.
Thanks Peter. We appreciate it.

For the record, Cory at Kleemann is very eager to help sort out anything with it. He too wants to see Peter a happy camper.

PS--I just sent you an email Peter letting you know that we arrived safely (through the snow/sleet/hail) back to the shop with your E55 and it's tucked inside.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:49 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Jeremy - Only speaking for myself but bottom line is we just want your shop to do the right thing which is properly diagnose and come up with a solution. 15k is not that easy to come by these days. I for one already have a bitter taste w/Kleemann by just reading this thread. I’m sure you know what I mean

MBWorld with all of it’s members would like to hear about the outcome from you…..the source

Best regards,

Johnny
Hi Johnny,

Understood and agreed.

Kleemann is the most supportive Mercedes tuner we've ever dealt with--no reason to have a bad taste in your mouth. Could the information to their dealers be a bit better (ie ~30% of the s/c brackets/pulleys need to be spaced out due to possible variation in the bracket?). Yes. But of course no one is perfect. We see it as our duty to provide as much feedback to them regarding the information they provide (installation manuals, etc etc). We've already provided plenty of feedback to Cory. He always takes it in stride!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Jeremyw;

I think you are defeating the purpose here my friend. Yes, you may have a good track record with past customers. But we are discussing Peter's experiance with Kleemann and yourself. I went to HPS website and they have alot of client testimonials, but AMGSC will say otherwise. If you like me to copy and paste Peter's opening post I can.

My question to you; is how are you going to fix the problem. 2nd whom pays for it. 3rd if it was an installation issue, will you apologizes to him. I think in the long run, all we want is for him to be happy with his purchase.
Hi Vic,

As you may have already read, we've already completed a 6hr round trip today and have Peter's E55 here. We will be sorting it out this next week, making it a priority amidst our busy schedule which has already been booked out for 2wks. I've already expressed to Peter that we just want his car to perform how everyone expects and that we’re happy to make it right!

Have a great weekend all.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 CLK430
Hi Vic,

As you may have already read, we've already completed a 6hr round trip today and have Peter's E55 here. We will be sorting it out this next week, making it a priority amidst our busy schedule which has already been booked out for 2wks. I've already expressed to Peter that we just want his car to perform how everyone expects and that we’re happy to make it right!

Have a great weekend all.
Great, let us know the results. Good or bad
Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you all for backing me up with this issue. Jemery is taking a big step to come up here on his day off and bring the car back to his place so they can fix all the problems. This is more than just talk and emailing back and forth all month. I wish it would be sooner so I don't have to spend all those hrs on the dyno at $150 an hrs the bill add up quick and If they get it sorted out and have it back to me next saturday I would only have what left of saturday to enjoy the car than to Japan I go for 3 months.

But the most important thing here is I getting the problem fix.
  • Find out why it not making ~510hp like Kleemann claimed. Put on PDXT's dyno.
  • Space out idler pulley so belt won't slip off at high speed.
  • Low speed surge (@ 5-10 mph car jurk back and forth)
  • Transmission goes into neutral when car hit redline and stay in neutral until car is restarted.

thank you all,

Peter

Last edited by Peter_02AMG; 04-20-2008 at 12:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need HELP diagnose power lost from Kleemann S/C