W210 E55 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
W210 E55 Exhaust

To the exhaust experts put there...there we go... is there any benefit in going with a Dual 2.75 or even dual 3 " exhaust pipes mandrel from the end of the downpipes all the way to the rear...mind you I have an Xpipe right after the downpipes , and resonator and secondary cats delete, right now using the stock pipes with the Mandrel Bent 45 pipes in lieu of the resonator, and the stock AMG muffler. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Cheers ,
Max
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
if you have already done X-pipe and removed secondary cats and removed resonator there isn't any more power to be had from the 2nd cats back. The only thing left you can do is upgrade your primary cats to high flow cats and upgrade headers. Upgrading diameter won't help that much if any especially on stock headers & stock primary cats.

The primary cats cause alot of restriction directly off the heads so upgrading those yields the most performance gain (moreso than secondary cats).
Old 11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
+1... 100% with it

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
if you have already done X-pipe and removed secondary cats and removed resonator there isn't any more power to be had from the 2nd cats back. The only thing left you can do is upgrade your primary cats to high flow cats and upgrade headers. Upgrading diameter won't help that much if any especially on stock headers & stock primary cats.

The primary cats cause alot of restriction directly off the heads so upgrading those yields the most performance gain (moreso than secondary cats).
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance

Thanks Omey... any hi flow cats recommended? I do remember speaking with someone last year only to hear that the so called " hi flow " is sort of a relative term! and speaking of headers , what happened with your headers project? Regards,
Max
Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Hello Max,

Our headers are coming out by the end of this month. Numerous of our competitors have had their headers crack due to cheap materials and weak design so we slightly altered our headers for even more strength to ensure that our headers never have the problems that theirs did.

There are a few high flow cats out there. Magnaflow might have a few, here are some OBX metal core cats, they aren't the fanciest looking ones but they do have O2 bungs both before & after cat which are helpful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-M...Q5fAccessories

there was a company called "Metal Cat" but I guess they aren't sold on ebay anymore. they were roughly $150 a piece.

MAKE SURE you get metal core cats, Ceramic core won't be able to keep up with the heat on "header hugger" cats they are too close to the cylinders and could melt. for secondaries ceramics are just fine b/c they are much further away, but not for primaries.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR
high flow cats def. bring the car alive, had mine put on a few days ago and so far I'm very happy. It was only cost me 100 per cat and 2hrs of labor @84 an hour + tax, right under 400 total. The noise is great, it sounds very powerful under full throttle and has a deep tone to it and is very loud. I also felt that there was more torque through out the entire power band, 1st spins so easily now!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well it is done now..I just ordered the high flow cats from Corey Kleemann ( 200 Cells ) these are the same ones they are offering for the new 63 engines..for $380 / pair. These will go on the downpipes in lieu of stock, then into the Xpipe, from there I think I will redo all the pipes in 2.5" Mandrel bent stainless to the rear . Based on all people I spoke to , there isnt more to be had except for the headers. Kleemann are backordered for the headers for our cars, and I am waiting for the AMS ones which should be available soon as I hear. Stainless Tig welded sounds really good to me.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Hello Max,

We should have a few sets to ship before the end of the month. Once you see the finalized pics it will seal the deal, they are quite amazing to look at . You won't be disappointed I can assure you that.

Honestly do not change the stock piping, its perfect. Remeber, dual 2.25s flow even better than a single 3.0" pipe so its more than enough for airflow. You just have to eliminate all the restriction you can. The only restriction you have left really are the headers & cats, the new combo together will produce amazing results, especially in conjunction with our crank pulley which tends to amplify gains on all mods performed after its been installed.

As far as new mods... don't worry we may have something up our sleeves as well . For now headers & cats are the next big mods for you, once you do those enjoy the new found power .