W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install pics and initial impressions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check sig ;)
header install pics and initial impressions....

well I have had a hectic couple of days so until I can write a long commentary and get to the dyno this will have to do.....so after a couple of days of driving, the car is getting louder and faster, it actually breaks em loose shifting into 2nd.....acceleration is noticeably stronger in the bottom end and mid-range with a little more on top......and car sounds outright knarly.....its running great but the CEL keeps coming on after hard driving after about 20mins....next startup from cool down it will be off again but then comes back on after 20mins or so again....car runs excellent and there is no difference whether the light is on or off but it would be nice if it stayed off...the install took less than 3 hours....we had some great reach around extensions that stay put and removed the aux. water pump to ease pass side install and on the much tighter driver side we removed the airbox, windshield wiper res., all coil pack and wires , and unplugged the abs.....made more than enough room with the right tools.....btw during removal on the DS be careful of the nipple that comes off the power steering res as it is vulnerable.....when I get a chance to breathe from work I will get to the dyno.....in all I am very impressed with the product and it sounds amazing (probably a little obnoxious for some) I am glad I didnt go with the longtubes
Attached Thumbnails header install pics and initial impressions....-install-002.jpg   header install pics and initial impressions....-install-003.jpg   header install pics and initial impressions....-install-006.jpg   header install pics and initial impressions....-install-007.jpg   header install pics and initial impressions....-install-013.jpg  

header install pics and initial impressions....-install-008.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 AM

2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by e55 addict
well I have had a hectic couple of days so until I can write a long commentary and get to the dyno this will have to do.....so after a couple of days of driving, the car is getting louder and faster, it actually breaks em loose shifting into 2nd.....acceleration is noticeably stronger in the bottom end and mid-range with a little more on top......and car sounds outright knarly.....its running great but the CEL keeps coming on after hard driving after about 20mins....next startup from cool down it will be off again but then comes back on after 20mins or so again....car runs excellent and there is no difference whether the light is on or off but it would be nice if it stayed off...the install took less than 3 hours....we had some great reach around extensions that stay put and removed the aux. water pump to ease pass side install and on the much tighter driver side we removed the airbox, windshield wiper res., all coil pack and wires , and unplugged the abs.....made more than enough room with the right tools.....btw during removal on the DS be careful of the nipple that comes off the power steering res as it is vulnerable.....when I get a chance to breathe from work I will get to the dyno.....in all I am very impressed with the product and it sounds amazing (probably a little obnoxious for some) I am glad I didnt go with the longtubes
What is wrong with your engine??!!!
It's WAY too clean!!!
I was holding off on buying the headers but I guess I have no choice but to buy them ASAP!
I wonder what's causing the CEL to come on?
Have you tried pulling codes?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 AM

check sig ;)
I show the car so I always detail the engine bay and do not drive in the slightest of inclement weather Some time this week I will put it on diag. to see what codes....my friend George that did most of the wrenching thinks it may be a cooked O2.....runs great anyway so I am not too concerned....until my next inspection that is here are some pics of the rest of the exhaust.....
Attached Thumbnails header install pics and initial impressions....-install-004.jpg   header install pics and initial impressions....-install-005.jpg  

Last edited by e55 addict; 07-14-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
are these AMS or Kleemann shorties?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 AM

check sig ;)
AMS
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Why did you choose to go with a custom single exhaust instead of custom dual?

jturkel those are AMS the Kleemann W210 headers look like this

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ader-pics.html
Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 AM

W210 E55 AMG
So, if I understand correctly, you are running AMS shorty headers, your original primary cats, and no secondary cats. Are you using your original resonator and muffler, or do you have X-pipe?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM

check sig ;)
no its a Y-pipe to a single 3" with a SLP Loudmouth Muffler
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
videos pls!! heheheh i wanna hear the sound
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM

99 E55 AMG
Nice! Can't wait to get mine. Can you get a video?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Hey E55 addict,

I'm glad you are happy with the performance and sound. That exhaust must be LOUD! You have almost no mufflers of any kind haha. I would recommend putting at least a 14" universal magnaflow at the end for at least some muffling/resonance reduction but its up to you .

It is definitely easier to access the drivers side by taking out the wires & coil packs to gain more clearance (in fact I recommend it on both sides) Also moving the washer reservoir also helps but isn't totally necessary.

If those are your original O2 sensors (new from factory, 10 years old) then they are most certainly shot at this point. Typically when they go bad they do not just die, they gradually go in/out of spec and give you on/off CEL lights until eventually staying on for good. You most certainly should get at minimum your 2 primary O2 sensors replaced (the two before the cats) if not all 4.

Also, If you haven't ever replaced your MAF sensor now may be a good time too. Since you are pushing so much air through that engine now you may be approaching the limit parameters of the ECU, so if either your O2s or MAF are bad it will be more likely to set off CEL (after all you are basically running straight pipes from primaries back :zoom).

Hope that helps.
~AMS~

Last edited by AMS Performance; 07-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E55
looks good man cant wait to see some vids.