Sponsored by:

Which air filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Which air filter?

I HATE that I'm posting this. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I've done a ton of different searches but found nothing as an acceptable answer for what I'm looking for. Sorry guys.
Anyway, here's my question. I'm going to replace the stock air filter with something aftermarket. I had K&N's before and I'm very careful with the amount of oil I put on them so I'm not overly worried about that part. So that said, which one would you get?

K&N
Green - heard problems about the surround quality but I think they've gotten better...and from what I've read seem to have the most gains
BMC - all I know is they're expensive and people seem to like them
AFE ProDryS - no oil needed which could be nice and basically discussed in this post - https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...e-prodrys.html
I PM'ed Greg to see if he had an update but I know he doesn't really hang around here anymore.

So, that said, what do you think and why?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Poll?

I vote for K&N as long as you clean them correctly. I believe I might have created a post on how to. Your good to go- doing incorrectly kiss your MAF good bye.

Armani

P.S
Ran K&N in all my cars, no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
I guess now it's a moot point. Someone was selling some barely used Green filters on the forum for $60 shipped so that made the decision easy. If they suck then I'll go with something different.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by jtbeche
I guess now it's a moot point. Someone was selling some barely used Green filters on the forum for $60 shipped so that made the decision easy. If they suck then I'll go with something different.

whats the differnce between those and OEM replacement .. actually changed out mine 2 days ago with new oem the old ones were still clean but ever since now my car runs perfectly fine doesnt bog out no more at a stop light ..<crossing fingers>
Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBFLO
whats the differnce between those and OEM replacement .. actually changed out mine 2 days ago with new oem the old ones were still clean but ever since now my car runs perfectly fine doesnt bog out no more at a stop light ..<crossing fingers>
You should pick yourself up Gas treatment. I run 2 12 oz Techron every oil change. Keeps her purring like a baby (plus cleaning injectors) All my indy mechanics live by this stuff.

MBFLO - I never ran the Green filters, keep us posted. Mine are due for a cleaning and I wouldn't mind popping these bad boys in for the time being.

Armani
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
stock paper filters
k&n are good if you know what you're doing, but after awhile and many cars later, you tend to lose your patience of waiting to dry, etc. when you can just swap stock ones in 2 mins.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by armaniE55
You should pick yourself up Gas treatment. I run 2 12 oz Techron every oil change. Keeps her purring like a baby (plus cleaning injectors) All my indy mechanics live by this stuff.

MBFLO - I never ran the Green filters, keep us posted. Mine are due for a cleaning and I wouldn't mind popping these bad boys in for the time being.

Armani
thanks , i just got my oil changed and changed the air filter with stock ones that i got from that az parts place . only the filter that has a bigger air damn was kinda dirty other one looked new .. replaced with oem filters but havnt had a hiccup since .
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Well as it turns out I bought those Green filters except they aren't the right ones. Even better is the guy now won't return my PM's when I told him they were wrong and wanted a refund. Even better than that is the moderators of MBWorld (check that, I only asked 1) said they don't get involved with classified stuff so basically there's nothing I can do except possibly file a grievance with paypal which I guess is my next step if he doesn't respond.
Anyway....got off track. The point is that I was ready to put them in and when I went to take the old stock ones out....I already had K&N's in. Just goes to show maybe I should have 1) looked to replace my filters much earlier since I've had the car for a year now and 2) just checked prior anyway so I could have avoided this whole mess.
I still planned on putting the Green ones in anyway but since they weren't the right ones I just cleaned up the K&N's which were really nasty, re-oiled, let them sit overnight and put them back in.
I don't really notice any change though. I was hoping maybe it would be a little smoother with all the junk out of the filters but nah, didn't really seem to matter.
Just thought I'd give an update.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
use K&N, they are the best. Green filters have a high failure rate. Don't reoil the filter, just clean it with shop vac and then reinstall. This technique alone should make them last a couple years easily without needing to be re-oiled.

Hope that helps
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM

W210 E55 AMG
i bought stock filters since I dont really care for cleaning filters at the risk of over doing it.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
AFE makes great filters. I would love to try some on my car but they only list them to fit e class with V8, so I don't think they will fit the AMG system. Unless, the regular airbox filters are the same size as those in the AMG ram air box. Anyone know?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Oem MANN filters are the way to go.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
BMC's

Fabio Daniel
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM

00 E55 AMG
i use K&N drop ion filters ( the red ones)
blew the oil out of them with a pressured air-line throughly before installing<
not much of a difference but definately airflow felt smoother and a tiny bit snappier