Sponsored by:

Any W210 55 isssues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 AM

Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts
E63S 4MATIC 213
Any W210 55 isssues

have a W213 E63S as my daily driver! looking to buy a W210 55 anything i should look out for before buying that can go wrong with them that would be a walk away from any car? any replies would be appreciated!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,070 Likes on 858 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Oil cooler leaks but it is a simple and relatively cheap DIY. There is also a small block off plate in the front where the seal will start to leak but, again, cheap and easy to replace. Tranny's are good for 200k miles. Just shock, struts, AC compressors, and rubber mounts/pieces need replacement. It's the Toyota of AMG's.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:07 AM

E63S 4MATIC 213
Haha thanks for your info blownv8 much appreciated 👍👍
Old 02-22-2021, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Oil cooler leaks but it is a simple and relatively cheap DIY. There is also a small block off plate in the front where the seal will start to leak but, again, cheap and easy to replace. Tranny's are good for 200k miles. Just shock, struts, AC compressors, and rubber mounts/pieces need replacement. It's the Toyota of AMG's.
Real talk here. My tranny was at 225k and going strong before it was totaled. It would chew up motor and transmission mounts though. Absolute tank of a drivetrain.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:57 AM

E63S 4MATIC 213
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
Real talk here. My tranny was at 225k and going strong before it was totaled. It would chew up motor and transmission mounts though. Absolute tank of a drivetrain.
cool!! Got one yesterday 1998 133k miles paint a bit tatty in places drives amazing for a 23 year old car! £4000
drivers seat doesn’t work any ideas what to look for would be appreciated 👍👍
Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Congrats, sounds like a good price!
Here's my takes:
- typical 20 year old car issues (pixels, bulbs, sticky/finicky switches etc) all of which are very minor and livable.
- catalytic converters are probably close to disintegrating, be ready for that. Good excuse to de-cat and go to headers if you're into that.
- I went through and replaced every piece of rubber under the car (arms, subframe, brake lines etc). It's just about the easiest car I've ever worked on, did all but the subframe myself in a garage with hand tools, and that all made a WORLD of difference in road feel. New rubber was night and day tighter (and tire wear improved dramatically).
- PCV hoses along the top side were rotting out on mine, easy fix.
- I flushed all the fluids, can a couple cans of quality engine and top end cleaner through it since the ownership history was long and questionable.

As others have said, the drivetrains are quite durable and simple to work on. It might sweat a little horsepower here and there, the valve covers seem especially problematic due to their goofy shape.

Re: the drivers seat...which functions? If you're talking about the power adjustments via the door switch, usually the door switch is the culprit (drivers door opens most, solder breaks, contact goes bad); if you're talking about the air bladders adjusted via the dials between seat and console...good luck. I've been in 3 of these cars and non worked.

I'm at 192k daily driven miles and counting. I love seeing the low mileage ones go sky high at auction, but these cars were made to be driven. The more and harder I drive it, the better it seems to treat me. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-02-2021, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by v8sonly
Congrats, sounds like a good price!
Here's my takes:
- typical 20 year old car issues (pixels, bulbs, sticky/finicky switches etc) all of which are very minor and livable.
- catalytic converters are probably close to disintegrating, be ready for that. Good excuse to de-cat and go to headers if you're into that.
- I went through and replaced every piece of rubber under the car (arms, subframe, brake lines etc). It's just about the easiest car I've ever worked on, did all but the subframe myself in a garage with hand tools, and that all made a WORLD of difference in road feel. New rubber was night and day tighter (and tire wear improved dramatically).
- PCV hoses along the top side were rotting out on mine, easy fix.
- I flushed all the fluids, can a couple cans of quality engine and top end cleaner through it since the ownership history was long and questionable.

As others have said, the drivetrains are quite durable and simple to work on. It might sweat a little horsepower here and there, the valve covers seem especially problematic due to their goofy shape.

Re: the drivers seat...which functions? If you're talking about the power adjustments via the door switch, usually the door switch is the culprit (drivers door opens most, solder breaks, contact goes bad); if you're talking about the air bladders adjusted via the dials between seat and console...good luck. I've been in 3 of these cars and non worked.

I'm at 192k daily driven miles and counting. I love seeing the low mileage ones go sky high at auction, but these cars were made to be driven. The more and harder I drive it, the better it seems to treat me. Enjoy your new ride!
Hey thanks for the good info. Can you tell me where you purchased all the rubber stuff from? Oem or aftermarket?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
I use Pelican Parts and FCP Euro, if you're in So Cal, Pelican parts is usually a little faster. FCP has nice warranty. Both are great companies. I usually buy OEM or similar parts, unless there is high quality aftermarket stuff (IE brake pads and lines, engine mounts etc).