W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M5 vs. E55 road test

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They drove 1700 miles during the weekend, I dont think they had the time to wax and clean the car.

Peter B, I could write in my sig that I drive a Volvo or a Volkswagen but their not worth it... And your forgetting the strongest advantage for the M5, the gears. I myself predicted that E55 would win in 1/4 mile but if Gustav and many others say the M5 is faster Ill believe them. They are going to back it up with a video anyway.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 AM

E-55 '05 White/black
Please see my reply to Gustav's news....and I am entirely serious...hope he answers ...might even get a car mag in on this one...we could even come in mass...let's see there at least 3-5 E-55's on this board that can or soon will equal 0-200 k in less than 12 secs...on Fri pm I ran 0-200k in 11.72 secs...not too shabby for $1250 in mods...Gray
Old 04-18-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Stock vs stock, modded vs modded...

Old M5 was faster then 210 E55, then 211 E55 was faster then old e39 M5...Now New e60 M5 is faster then 211 E55, then they make
E63 and it will be faster then E60 M5 it will go on forever...

E55 owner must expect the truth New M5 will be faster then E55 in straight line, not evem mentioning Track...BMW is not that stupid to make new M5 slower the current E55...

Some people are right must give Kleemann a call or Do some NOS to beat New M5's...There is time before M5 will land in US...

The truth are always painful...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Stock vs stock, modded vs modded...

Old M5 was faster then 210 E55, then 211 E55 was faster then old e39 M5...Now New e60 M5 is faster then 211 E55, then they make
E63 and it will be faster then E60 M5 it will go on forever...

E55 owner must expect the truth New M5 will be faster then E55 in straight line, not evem mentioning Track...BMW is not that stupid to make new M5 slower the current E55...

Some people are right must give Kleemann a call or Do some NOS to beat New M5's...There is time before M5 will land in US...

The truth are always painful...
Dude, no need to be a troll. Your first points were credible but your last ones destroy your credibility. I have no reason to not trust Gustav, but will hold back judgement until I SEE a new M5 beat an E55 in the quarter mile.

Since we're being petty- neither of your cars can beat the E55 so how about that?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gustav
To Americans: I did not do quarter mile races. I did rolling start from 50 km7h and 100 km/h to around 250 km/h.
Oh well, looks like the jury is still out.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
To Americans: I did not do quarter mile races. I did rolling start from 50 km7h and 100 km/h to around 250 km/h.
Is it me, or eveytime you read a post that is from overseas, you automatically read the statement with a Ivan Drago Rocky V accent or Deep Male Voice with French or German accent in your mind....

Whew...too much coffee for me this AM....going back to work.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Is it me, or eveytime you read a post that is from overseas, you automatically read the statement with a Ivan Drago Rocky V accent or Deep Male Voice with French or German accent in your mind....

i do the EXACT thing!!! i cant help it! no disrespect it just comes out that way.

and...

To Swedes;
I dont care about the ring' no one in America does. The 1/4 mile gives the best indication of traction, tq and hp without finding a stretch of highway to kill someone going 150mph on.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not doubting Gustav, but something does not fit:

Re: Confirmed! m5board.com roadtest of Interlagosblue M5 in April. Post your opinions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wooooooo horsey. Something seems amiss to me. You said:

Quote:
It completely humiliates:
E55 AMG Kompressor

It is fair to say it is even to Gallardo, it depends whoever gets the jump. But there is a fari chanse that above 240 km/h the M5 will pass the Galalrdo...
M5 beast the E55 AMG with 4 people in the M5

Reported times that I have seen put the Gallardo between 12.3-12.6. That is the identical range of most E55's (some are faster). If this is the case, then either the E driver wasn't really driving, this Gallardo is exceptionally fast, or the E is just that strong from the start while the M5 meets or beats it from a passing speed.

Gallardo times: http://www.dragtimes.com/Lamborghin...rag-Racing.html
Old 04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Banned

i am biased, i just dont like gustav for his tactics. i think he is a bad person. but if i were to race an m5 id be totally respectful in win or loss. its just people like him who give bmr owners a bad name. the power #'s just dont add up to me. i REALLY cant wait to see one in person though and get some gears
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM

C32, Durango R/T, 3200GT
I havent read the whole thread, but there seems to be doubts about the M5 performance.

I am a AMG and RS fan, but, the M5 was awfully fast, it beat the E55 more than the E55 beats my stock C32, and this was with no tires at all on the bmw, and new ones on the E55 sedan.

But the straight performance wasn't even the interesting part, the M5 handling was what amazed me most, it this area, the E55 or RS6 vs M5 feels like comparing a A6 to the RS6.

Now I just hope the next E-AMG will be very damn fast and spank this M5

I already posted a thread from this event on this forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/105322-two-c32-action-photos.html

BR
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Yeah right, more like 5-10 hp ... how could 1.500 rpms raise 50 to 80 hp lol
Depends. By changing the chip you are also changing the ignition timing, fuel input to the engine and host of others. 50HP is only a 10% gain. Not a huge amount.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:01 PM

996 twin turbo
Some of the posts on here are frankly amazing,its like a group of little kids.

Firstly Im a SL55 and e270cdi driver ,whose previous cars were an e39 M5 and then 996tt,and no m5 on order..so I have very little bias with regard to this debate.

Now think carefully ,were BMW going to release a car not as quick as the E55 ? not in a million years ,therefore take it for granted it will be quicker,marginally ,but quicker...this is all straight line talk ,get to twisties and the new M5 will murder the e55,but Mercs are not drivers cars ,so this is to be expected.

There is another post on the m5 board form a guy who has a couple of ruf's ,(so he knows what a fast car is) and he took the m5 out against a galllardo and reckoned it to be faster.Gustav although a BMW fan is objective ,and would not make statements about the m5 being faster unless it was true.

So get a grip and deal with it,the m5 is the king of the uber saloons (and always was from a drivers viewpoint)..you wanna go fast in a straight line,get a bike.)

Oh and looks wise...i hated the new 5 series,butnow whilst i don't love it i reckon it makes the e-class look old fashioned now
Old 04-18-2005, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by franki68
Some of the posts on here are frankly amazing,its like a group of little kids.

Firstly Im a SL55 and e270cdi driver ,whose previous cars were an e39 M5 and then 996tt,and no m5 on order..so I have very little bias with regard to this debate.

Now think carefully ,were BMW going to release a car not as quick as the E55 ? not in a million years ,therefore take it for granted it will be quicker,marginally ,but quicker...this is all straight line talk ,get to twisties and the new M5 will murder the e55,but Mercs are not drivers cars ,so this is to be expected.

There is another post on the m5 board form a guy who has a couple of ruf's ,(so he knows what a fast car is) and he took the m5 out against a galllardo and reckoned it to be faster.Gustav although a BMW fan is objective ,and would not make statements about the m5 being faster unless it was true.

So get a grip and deal with it,the m5 is the king of the uber saloons (and always was from a drivers viewpoint)..you wanna go fast in a straight line,get a bike.)

Oh and looks wise...i hated the new 5 series,butnow whilst i don't love it i reckon it makes the e-class look old fashioned now
So, what are your thoughts on your new M5 that you've driven? That's what I thought...talk, talk, talk...
Old 04-18-2005, 01:07 PM

04 E55
I will not say which one is faster right now.

But I am willing for someone to test both of my cars when time is ready.

Since W211 resell is rather poor at this time. I am going to keep the E55 when the M5 arrives.

My car should be orderable by november/december time frame with delivery around jan/feb time frame. It will probably take me a month to 6 weeks to break the car in at 3,000 miles. If anyone will pay for a day at sears point (or infeneon what ever you like to call it). We can see how fast both car really is.

Until them, keep the immature post to a minimal.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Why when you always say the truth, people say bad things...We all can express our views and opinion...

I would like E55 to be faster then M5 and hope it will be faster, but most mags say is NOT ...

I am getting one and I will definately will add LSD and some HPs just to be sure...

Beleive me I will definately hunt one down and race with it, also I know a guy who is getting IT...I use to race a lot with my M5...

I've lost to 911 TT, Galliardo, RS4 MTM 602 HP and Kleemann 210 E55 543 HP...From dead stop stock RS4 as well...

The fastest and the best race I've had was with 602 MTM RS4 and that was crazy...Some people blame me still...
Old 04-18-2005, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,064 Likes on 853 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I don't think there is a chance that the new M5 will beat the E55 in the 1/4 mile unless the E55 driver is sleeping at the lights. After that, I think it would most likely out accelerate an E55 due to gearing but the M5's lack of torque will hurt it in the 1/4 mile even with more gears.

There seems to be many "new" forum members that have popped up as of recently that are huge M5 fans. I'm not certain but many seem to be complete trolls with no business on this board.

I'll leave the tests for the street, strip, the mags, and those that are truly objective. I wouldn't call a moderator on an M5 forum as being an objective source any more than if I'd asked on Rush Limbaugh to give me an objective opinion on a Democrat. I think it is pointless to argue until we see an actual M5 in the US and one that is for sale. Who knows, this car may be just that damn fast but it also may be a ringer from the factory to hype the car. Lord knows that sending a ringer to do acceleration testing is not that uncommon. It better be faster because it sure the hell is ugly!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by wolverine
It's pretty simple if you know what horsepower is:

HP = Tq x RPM / 5250
Pretty naive if you think that you can simply raise RPM and get more HP.

Go back to high school auto shop 101 and pay attention this time.

BTW, in case you forgot, horsepower is the lifting of 33,000 lbs one foot in one minute and still has nothing to do it.

Last edited by E55AMG99; 04-18-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 PM

C32, Durango R/T, 3200GT
I certainly dont think im biased to bmw since I drive a C32, RS4 and RS6.
I understand that most have trouble beliving or trusting a moderator for a M5 enthusiast board, but I was at this event to.
I saw the M5 win time after time against the E55, and run tie with the gallardo for atleast 5 rounds.
They tried 0-250km/h races, 50-250, 50-200, 100-250 etc, so the results wasnt the one lucky race kind either.

The E55s only made a few rounds each, 3-6 or something, and the M5 was going back and forth, full throttle the whole day, stuffed with ppl that wanted to experience it. (Me for example).
Atleast one E55 had new tires, and the M5 didnt have any at all (the first thing I noticed when having a closer look at the car in the lineup before we started).

I was so impressed by the performance of this car that I can't even pretend that a E55 is faster in any direction or speed, even though I am a mercedes owner and fan. There was atleast as much difference at 200km/h between the M5 and E55 as there was between my stock C32 and the E55.

If you read my post at the m5board, I tell about the ride in the M5, and this is proabably what pisses MB fans off the most, or scares the MB bosses; the M5 was up to E55 comfort and luxury standars in comfort mode.
And Still, it has handling similar to the 996 turbo. All this in just the push of a button.

Remeber that the M5 was realased after the E55, and the car is also a flagship for bmw, if it would be slower than the E55, BMW would have completely failed.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:41 PM

E63 biturbo
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I don't think there is a chance that the new M5 will beat the E55 in the 1/4 mile unless the E55 driver is sleeping at the lights. After that, I think it would most likely out accelerate an E55 due to gearing but the M5's lack of torque will hurt it in the 1/4 mile even with more gears.
I actually think that it is more possible the M5 can beat the E55 in standing start acceleration races like the 1/4 mile than a rolling start from say 80km/h like what was stated on the M5 forum. The M5 probably has better traction off the line and has quicker gearshifts, in addition to being lighter and having launch control. I am not a fan of the M5, but I do not see why it is not possible for it to beat the E55 in a quarter-mile.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hold on guys....looks like F1 has picked up on this

Eventful testing day at McLaren
With Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa

The Team McLaren Mercedes team continued its second day of testing today at Paul Ricard, with Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa behind the wheel of MP4-20s.

Alex completed his programme today which was concentrating on car set up and Michelin tyre development work for the forthcoming San Marino Grand Prix. Suddenly the engineers appeared to erupt with joy when a gentlemen phoned and informed them "All you have to do, is make them rev higher and you'll get so much more horsepower...just make them rev higher..." Alex immediately put the practice into motion and did have a spin this morning, however the car was not damaged and after being wheeled back to the garage, he continued with his planned programme

An anonymous McLaren Mercedes engineer we spoke with seemed a bit discouraged, "It's just amazing, we spend hundreds of millions of dollars in research, development and testing, and all we really had to do was make them rev higher. How could the entire F1 world be so wrong. "

Alex was the seventh fastest man on track today, completing 139 laps, with a fastest time of 1m03.790s. Pedro ended up eighth with a time of 1m03.863s.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
No doubt, BMW will not release a car that will be slower than the competition. They've had plenty of time to study them and make each aspect as good or better. I think many are having trouble believing that there is a huge difference in 1/4 mile and 0 to whatever times given the heavy weight and torque characteristics of the new M engine.

Nice commentary on the 5 xscream. Must have been a wild ride.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Hold on guys....looks like F1 has picked up on this
you are a funny friggin wacko!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Actullay Ivan Drago was played by Dolph Lundgren who is from Sweden. But I promise the accent in the movie was fake, trying to sound Russian.

Also, try to learn German or French and see how easy it is too loose your American accent. Travel around the world helps you to understand and overcome international differences.

Last edited by Gustav; 04-18-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

Actullay Ivan Drago was played by Dolph Lundgren who is from Sweden. But I promise the accent in the movie was fake, trying to sound Russian.

Also, try to learn German or French and see how easy it is too loose your American accent. Travel around the world helps you to understand and overcome international differences.
THATS IT MODS! BAN HIM!! IVE NEVER BEEN SO INSULTED IN MY LIFE. HE SAID AMERICANS WHO LEARN A FOREIGH LANGUAGE ARE LOSERS!!! I SPEAK SPANISH AND I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE TO THAT!!!

and hey douchstav! isnt it a pleasure reading both pro and con posts here? robust give and take i know is foreign to you but its a lot of fun. warum sind Sie solch ein Hahn-Schößling irgendwie?

Last edited by Peter B; 04-18-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Wow. I did not say you are losers you said it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M5 vs. E55 road test