W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

UNREAL video, plz dont use nos on our cars...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2005 | 08:33 PM
Banned

UNREAL video, plz dont use nos on our cars...

id hate to see this happen to a fellow 55er.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79375
Old 04-17-2005 | 08:44 PM

04 E55
Custom . . . . That's what happens when you try to leave on a big wet system and it bites your a$$.

Everybody here (AFAIK) have been experimenting with dry nitrous systems . . . while they have their own dangers, what you saw in that video isn't one of them thank goodness!!

Don
Old 04-17-2005 | 10:16 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
This should not have happened. There is no need to use nitrous in first gear. It's a waste. Motor alone should be able to break tires loose to 50. The best way to use a minimal shot (less than 150HP) is with a WOT switch. You only hit it above 2500 rpm. If you hit it below that all you do is make huge tire smoke and run the risk of breaking your motor. This is the product of being unfamiliar with the nature and need for N20.

I really think the guys on this forum understand how and when to use N20. They are also not using a wet shot which reduces the chance for this thing to happen.

It's idiots like this that give N20 a bad name.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Vetluver
This should not have happened. There is no need to use nitrous in first gear. It's a waste. Motor alone should be able to break tires loose to 50. The best way to use a minimal shot (less than 150HP) is with a WOT switch. You only hit it above 2500 rpm. If you hit it below that all you do is make huge tire smoke and run the risk of breaking your motor. This is the product of being unfamiliar with the nature and need for N20.

I really think the guys on this forum understand how and when to use N20. They are also not using a wet shot which reduces the chance for this thing to happen.

Very true. I've experimented with N2O on everything from go-karts to full blown race cars and ran both dry and wet on several street cars for years. I can't count the number of bottles and never did I ever blow anything up. Well, the Sea-Doo wasn't my fault!

It pays (or in this case saves) to RTFM once in a while.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

He was using a window switch.1st gear in that car goes to like 60 so its not a waste.What happened in that video can happen to any car with no2.Iv seen 3 cars on the street have this happen(not as bad)tho.

Its a no2 back fire threw out the air intakes(manifold).

Its idiots like you that think he didnt know what he was doing in a 11 second car.He had every fail safe gizmo you can have on it and all was done right.

At least the guy is being honest with his insurance company and telling them he was spraying and at the track.

Last edited by skratch77; 04-18-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Hard to believe he was at already at WOT that early in the run. Very hard on the motor at low RPM. Good way to blow an engine or at least waste the tires.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by skratch77
He was using a window switch.1st gear in that car goes to like 60 so its not a waste.What happened in that video can happen to any car with no2.Iv seen 3 cars on the street have this happen(not as bad)tho.

Its idiots like you that think he didnt know what he was doing in a 11 second car.He had every fail safe gizmo you can have on it and all was done right.

At least the guy is being honest with his insurance company and telling them he was spraying and at the track.
N2O hiccups do happen but most occur due to impropper use. The biggest reason they happen in a correctly designed system is turning it on at an RPM that is below the point at which the engine can swallow the extra fuel and air. Most times I saw this at points where the engine was below 70% of peak torque. Screwed up a few dyno mules finding this fact out. Same thing happens to carburated engines with overly large accellerator pumps. However, the results aren't so spectacular.

It also happens to systems that at poorly designed, abnormal bottle temperature, or if there is air in the N2O line. Purging just prior to the run is VERY important.

BTW, 20 years ago, it cost me more than $100K in today's money and a lot of skill to go 11 seconds every weekend at the track. Today, anyone can plunk down half that to buy an 11 second car but few realy know what they are doing. Sad really.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Gotta hand it to him for his honesty. Too many people today would try to claim it happened elsewhere. However, it's not going to get him squat from any insurance company. Timed, competative or off-highway incidents are excluded from coverage.
Old 04-18-2005 | 03:18 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG

I've been fogging my Vette for 10 years and using the info that NOS gave to me, ie a PURGE valve and not using at low RPM I have been able to use it safely in the same motor for 80k miles. I must now something about how to use it and not get hiccups. He obviously did something he shouldn't have, Like using N2O (there is one oxygen and 2 nitrogen molecules in nitrous) at launch. YOU DON'T NEED NITROUS AT LAUNCH. This is my point, jerk.
Old 04-18-2005 | 08:22 AM

E-55 '05 White/black
According to the info on a GM forum, he hit at wot shortly after leaving and then bogged still spraying that's what caused the ultimate backfire/fire...Gray
Old 04-18-2005 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I've been fogging my Vette for 10 years and using the info that NOS gave to me, ie a PURGE valve and not using at low RPM I have been able to use it safely in the same motor for 80k miles. I must now something about how to use it and not get hiccups. He obviously did something he shouldn't have, Like using N2O (there is one oxygen and 2 nitrogen molecules in nitrous) at launch. YOU DON'T NEED NITROUS AT LAUNCH. This is my point, jerk.
He had all that setup man.This wasnt his first time running the car with spray.This was a wet system and was prolly a 200 shot going for a 10 second run.

This is what I think happened.He had his window switch set to 2.5k WOT .He then launched at 3k but slipped and boged the car and let off the gas and then back on then the huge back fire threw the manifold came.
Old 04-19-2005 | 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
He had all that setup man.This wasnt his first time running the car with spray.This was a wet system and was prolly a 200 shot going for a 10 second run.

This is what I think happened.He had his window switch set to 2.5k WOT .He then launched at 3k but slipped and boged the car and let off the gas and then back on then the huge back fire threw the manifold came.
That'll do it! Launching on the bottle is practically impossible with a single stage 200HP shot. Should have used a multi stage system or waited until the car left the line.

Last edited by E55AMG99; 04-19-2005 at 12:11 AM.