Sponsored by:

W211 E Class / E55 CF Hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
W211 E Class / E55 CF Hood

I'm assuming all E Class W211 uses the same hood.

Over at C32 AMG / C55 AMG (W203) Forums and CLK AMG (W208/W209) Forums They have a Group Buy For C55/CLK CF Hood at a very attractive price. I wonder if we on here can do the same. Would be a very nice diet to loose some of that weight in the front end. They are looking into about 15-20 confirmed orders. BlackC230Coupe is the person setting this up. I can see why they chose to do it for the C55 since he owns one Hopefully if we get enough ppl, he can do ours too.

M5KILLR: What do you think? since you have mass expertise in this type of modding field.
What do all you guys think?

ps. maybe we can have a custom vented CF Hood?
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by houston
I'm assuming all E Class W211 uses the same hood.

Over at C32 AMG / C55 AMG (W203) Forums and CLK AMG (W208/W209) Forums They have a Group Buy For C55/CLK CF Hood at a very attractive price. I wonder if we on here can do the same. Would be a very nice diet to loose some of that weight in the front end. They are looking into about 15-20 confirmed orders. BlackC230Coupe is the person setting this up. I can see why they chose to do it for the C55 since he owns one Hopefully if we get enough ppl, he can do ours too.

M5KILLR: What do you think? since you have mass expertise in this type of modding field.
What do all you guys think?

ps. maybe we can have a custom vented CF Hood?
The prices are quite reasonable. Looks like we wouldnt have to pay the MB tax on this one. I would be interested if it had strategically placed vents that looked good. If we can figure out how to incorporate an aesthetically pleasing and fully functional vent system, I would be 100% in on this.
As for some folks who would think a CF hood is ricey, just paint it to match.
Another idea would be a bumper cover that would allow room for a larger heat-exchanger or intercooler. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by medici78; 07-23-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I can do the same type of group buy on this for the W211 E55. Also the W211 E-Class members might be interested as well. About some sort of hood vents, well, if we were going to do it, it would probably be just the OEM hood in carbon fiber. But if some more people respond that may be interested, i can possibly work something out.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

i saw a silver jetta with a silver cf hood and looked fat. if i could get a good price on a silver hood id be in.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I'm in if we can do an OEM looking hood WITH some sort of heat extraction vents in Carbon Fiber.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'd be in on a NICE looking one, but I want vents, too.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by M5KILLR
i saw a silver jetta with a silver cf hood and looked fat. if i could get a good price on a silver hood id be in.
Have you seen benzoamgpowers silver CF hood on his C32? it looks sweeet! he has a nice custom paint job and it fades into the silver CF.

Here are pics.

If there was a group buy going, it would be the same price as the C55/CLK CF hoods i am offering. For silver CF it would be $798.

I am just not sure if i wanna do any custom vents or anything. It may not appeal to most people. What kinda of vents do you guys have in mind anyway? something similar to the brabus style vents?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe

If there was a group buy going, it would be the same price as the C55/CLK CF hoods i am offering. For silver CF it would be $798.

I am just not sure if i wanna do any custom vents or anything. It may not appeal to most people. What kinda of vents do you guys have in mind anyway? something similar to the brabus style vents?
You'd actually be surprised how many people with E55's would want the custom vents. The main power-robber of the E55 seems to be nothing more than poor heat dissipation underhood. Considering the folks who would likely buy a CF hood are the ones who like to mod, you'd find them to be in the same category as those who want to reduce underhood temps. The truth is that the CF is basically just an appearance mod. Reducing weight is not a huge priority for most E55 owners as it is an excercise in futility since it is inherently a luxury cruiser. So the main incentive for me to purchase one would be one that would improve performance in some way. Simply a put stock E55 hood probably wouldnt do it for me, unless it would improve underhood temps.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by medici78
You'd actually be surprised how many people with E55's would want the custom vents. The main power-robber of the E55 seems to be nothing more than poor heat dissipation underhood. Considering the folks who would likely buy a CF hood are the ones who like to mod, you'd find them to be in the same category as those who want to reduce underhood temps. The truth is that the CF is basically just an appearance mod. Reducing weight is not a huge priority for most E55 owners as it is an excercise in futility since it is inherently a luxury cruiser. So the main incentive for me to purchase one would be one that would improve performance in some way. Simply a put stock E55 hood probably wouldnt do it for me, unless it would improve underhood temps.
I see where you guys are comming from. Even if we were to do a hood with custom vents. I would still need at least 15+ orders. I just am unsure if there are 15+ orders for it. But lets put it this way, if i can do a a CF hood with vents, how many people would be interested here? Is it 1-5? or can we possibly get atleast 15.

Last edited by BlackC230Coupe; 07-24-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

for that price im definately in on a silver cf hood. but look at the pic of my departed 7.4 renntech. they did the hood vent here and as i was told by them it should only go here because if its placed any higher on the hood you actually create high pressure that would keep hot air under the hood. when i would stop at syoplights you could see hot air streaming out. you could probably do the sides too but this looks like a clean non rice hood vent.
Attached Thumbnails W211 E Class / E55 CF Hood-hood.jpg  
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Count me in

For a silver CF hood with heat extraction vents I am in. Please let me know what the Lbs weight savings would be over the stock hood.

I have done the cooling mods, getting ready to do a Cry0 kit and heat wrapping the downpipes and intake tubes.

I am about to delete my 2 interior headlights to get better cold air. As you can tell this car is a heat monger so anything that pulls out heat without looking gaudy would be awesome.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Man...how come there wasn't this many people interested when I asked a while back. I was trying to get a group buy going on for the W211 but no one wanted it...well since it's back I'm in. When I think of cf hood's, BenzoAMGpower's hood does come into mind. I would love a silver cf if possible with some kind of vents, if not I guess we'll have to go with black and vents.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would be in if it was CF, since silver would not look good on my car. I would probably do a custom paint job with most of the hood in my tectite color and a small, strategically exposed section of CF. We should all collaborate and figure out where we would want the vents.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by M5KILLR
for that price im definately in on a silver cf hood. but look at the pic of my departed 7.4 renntech. they did the hood vent here and as i was told by them it should only go here because if its placed any higher on the hood you actually create high pressure that would keep hot air under the hood. when i would stop at syoplights you could see hot air streaming out. you could probably do the sides too but this looks like a clean non rice hood vent.
That looks good. We can possibly do something similar to that. Or i can come up with a few ideas and then ask for everyones opinions. I will let this thread go for a week or 2 and we will see how much more interest there can be on this.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by e55 baller
For a silver CF hood with heat extraction vents I am in. Please let me know what the Lbs weight savings would be over the stock hood.

I have done the cooling mods, getting ready to do a Cry0 kit and heat wrapping the downpipes and intake tubes.

I am about to delete my 2 interior headlights to get better cold air. As you can tell this car is a heat monger so anything that pulls out heat without looking gaudy would be awesome.

As of now i don't have an exact weight. But it should be less then half the weight of the stock hood.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Man...how come there wasn't this many people interested when I asked a while back. I was trying to get a group buy going on for the W211 but no one wanted it...well since it's back I'm in. When I think of cf hood's, BenzoAMGpower's hood does come into mind. I would love a silver cf if possible with some kind of vents, if not I guess we'll have to go with black and vents.

Well, if we do this, it will be your choice of silver CF or black CF. Black CF will be 100$ cheaper then the price i mentioned above for silver.

Originally Posted by medici78
I would be in if it was CF, since silver would not look good on my car. I would probably do a custom paint job with most of the hood in my tectite color and a small, strategically exposed section of CF. We should all collaborate and figure out where we would want the vents.
Well, for a tectite exterior, i would probably got with the black CF and save 100$ over the silver.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:31 PM

04 E55
Don't forget me, I'm In!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Let's make it easy and have a list going.

1. Benzoboi
2. Medici78
3. M5Killr
4. Vrus
5. Jangy
6. E55 Baller
7. houston
Old 07-25-2005, 01:57 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350

1. Benzoboi
2. Medici78
3. M5Killr
4. Vrus
5. Jangy
6. E55 Baller
7. houston
8. gmdebruyn

interested in black.

just curious, what is the weight difference between our OEM hood and the one that is being considered (CF)?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
8. gmdebruyn

interested in black.

just curious, what is the weight difference between our OEM hood and the one that is being considered (CF)?
Like, i said, i currently dont have an exact weight of the CF hood. But it should be less then half the weight of the stock hood.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!

1. Benzoboi
2. Medici78
3. M5Killr
4. Vrus
5. Jangy
6. E55 Baller
7. houston
Very impressive. Its real funny, i first put the group buy together for a C55/CLK CF hood because there was so much interest. Now i put that together and somehow its going slow. I never suspected the E55 guys would be interested in a CF hood. But this group buy is looking better then the C55/CLK one. Currently we have 8 people interested, normally we would need atleast 15. But if we got about 5 more. I can get it done. The only thing that may stop it or hold it up is the vents you guys want. Normally we would just use the stock hood as a mold. But now there is going need to be alteration and the stock hood mold wont be as good. I will let you guys know in a day or so if we can do vents for sure or not. I hope my CF guy can. And if he can, hopefully it wont have to make the cost go up.

I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime, if more people are interested, please post here.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can't wait to hear what you can come up with
Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
Like, i said, i currently dont have an exact weight of the CF hood. But it should be less then half the weight of the stock hood.
1) anyone else know the weight of the stock hood?
2) newbie question: how will the CF hood transfer engine sound vs. the OEM hood?
3) a question to be answered later, but which colour black will you choose to paint it (there are about 3 different blacks i think the last time i checked the MB website)

Last edited by gmdebruyn; 07-25-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
1) anyone else know the weight of the stock hood?
2) newbie question: how will the CF hood transfer engine sound vs. the OEM hood?
3) a question to be answered later, but which colour black will you choose to paint it (there are about 3 different blacks i think the last time i checked the MB website)

It will sound the same. The inner hood liner will get transfered on the CF hood anyway. You will not hear a difference.

We don't paint the hood, its just simply black carbon fiber. The which is the most common type of carbon fiber you see. If you wanted to paint it, you can bring it to any body shop. We will just supply the actual carbon hood with no paint.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
As far as the vents go, I think it would be a good idea to put 2 smaller sized vents on either side of the hood.. I would think placing them relative to the header locations or top of engine is a good spot.

I am not sure which MB tuner has the vents on their hood, but I know I have seen it somewhere. It was shown on a black car and I remember thinking it was pretty subtle... I will see if I can track down that pic.

BTW, I will only buy this CF hood if it can be painted so I can match the colour of my car. I know that depending on the finish of the CF product some can accept paint and some cannot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W211 E Class / E55 CF Hood