Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Followup on Sirius Satellite radio Screwup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Followup on Sirius Satellite radio Screwup

A few days ago I reported tht my new beast was finally in the US (in Baltimore):

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/115893-my-beast-port.html

& mentioned the Sirius Satellite radio glitch. Well, I just heard from the salesman & there is a real screwup.

Turns out that the car was not prewired at the factory for satellite radio & it can't be installed at the dealership, because it won't integrate with the installed audio (& COMAND) system.

I can have an aftermarket install done, but as far as I know, this leads to a suckful ingeration. Does anyone have reason to believe that it is possible to integrate Sirius "properly" into the car?

I was already getting $1K off the list price. Now they're gonna knock at least another $1K off & I can probably squeeze more out of them.

But this still sucks big time.

--
Hook
Old 08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Sh**, I hope I didn't jinx you. There are several aftermarket solutions, but as far as I know, none of them are truly integrated.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
Originally Posted by Hook
A few days ago I reported tht my new beast was finally in the US (in Baltimore):

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115893

& mentioned the Sirius Satellite radio glitch. Well, I just heard from the salesman & there is a real screwup.

Turns out that the car was not prewired at the factory for satellite radio & it can't be installed at the dealership, because it won't integrate with the installed audio (& COMAND) system.

I can have an aftermarket install done, but as far as I know, this leads to a suckful ingeration. Does anyone have reason to believe that it is possible to integrate Sirius "properly" into the car?

I was already getting $1K off the list price. Now they're gonna knock at least another $1K off & I can probably squeeze more out of them.

--
Hook
Just because it doesn't have prewiring does not mean that all of a sudden the head unit is not capable. They are only saying that because it would be a royal pain to track down all of the parts to retrofit it to your car.

It can be done, just a little more work for the parts guy to track down all that is necessary and also some more work for the installer to remove more parts. But, all in all totally possible!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
Just because it doesn't have prewiring does not mean that all of a sudden the head unit is not capable. They are only saying that because it would be a royal pain to track down all of the parts to retrofit it to your car.

It can be done, just a little more work for the parts guy to track down all that is necessary and also some more work for the installer to remove more parts. But, all in all totally possible!
Interesting. I was wondering if this might be the case.

Even so, I'm afraid if I try to push the dealership to do it, it will take them forever (since I doubt they do it often). I'm thinking I might be better getting another thousand dollars back & having a good aftermarket place do this.

Whadda ya think?

--
Hook
Old 08-05-2005, 04:37 PM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Call Larry Persan:
610-734-1234

He is an MB Audio Expert. I had him do my sirus aftermarket so I could get the mini antenna and have it placed on the roof. He used all MB parts and you can't tell the difference between having it ordered from the factory or his work. It is 100% integrated.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:30 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
FWIW my Sirius was a dealer installed option and integrates with the NAV and speakers but doesn't work with voice control. I still change the stations manually just like I do in my Vette . It has a 150 USD head unit and $100 add on unit and works just as well. I know that it's not an integrated system but it sounds the same and much much cheaper. If you don't want to go the extra mile wiring and adding all the inflated MB parts you might try that approach.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Thumbs up Sirius

Buy this stock !!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:09 PM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV

--
Hook
Hook,

F***k that!!! You order an 85k car and they leave an option off? They better give more than 1k off for their screw up.....

Mez
Old 08-07-2005, 11:50 PM

AMG C55

--
Hook

Call Jason Gellatly Sales Manager @ Mercedes Benz of Fairfield, he had it done for me, it is my understanding that all late 05's and forward will not be pre-wired for Sirius, but he managed to get it done, same goes for all 06 ML's.
I hope that helps, btw his # is (203)368-6725
Old 08-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...I have heard that a lot of 03 owners already have gotten the MB sat radio installed...eventhough MBUSA said that that couldn't be done either (as none of the 03s are prewired for SAT radio)...

I also heard that most of those 03 owners only had to wait for 3-5 hours to get it all installed...it is just a matter of dealing with the right people.

greetingz,
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Thumbs down

all late 05's and forward will not be pre-wired for Sirius,
A friend is looking at a 2006 E55 and it is not pre-wired. The dealership thinks that it is an error.

I wonder why the car would not be pre-wired? Save money? Order from the factory?

Last edited by Ormond2004; 08-08-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 PM

More on Sirius Satellite Radio Screw Up

Based on information from helpful members on this board, I called the salesman yesterday & told him I was convinced that the radio could be installed in a fully-integrated manner, despite the fact that the car is not prewired. Maybe his service department wouldn't do it, but it could be done.

So he just called me back & said that he had also convinced himself it could be done. But, his service guys won't do it (say they "can't"). So, he's gonna give me an extra $1,000 of the sticker to cover the cost of an after-market install.

He claims to have found a local guy who can do it. I also have some other leads from this group, but I'll check into the local guy -- it would be nice to have someone nearby who can deal with this kind of stuff.

So, seems like the issue is resolved as good as it's gonna be.

I should have the car later this week. Photos to follow.

--
Hook