Sponsored by:

Cooling Mod Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Cooling Mod Question

When I had a E500 when ever the engine got hot or the AC was working I noticed TWO huge fans in front of the radiator functioning. Today I heard an E500 coming into the parking lot and it sounded like an airplane landing.

Why if the E55 is so prone to heat sink do we only have one fan behind the radiator? Is there not enough room in front to add a couple of auxilary fans like the E500 has? It looks to me that if the two oil cooler(?) cores are moved that these could be added.

This maybe completely off the mark but I will throw it out for discussion's sake.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vetluver
When I had a E500 when ever the engine got hot or the AC was working I noticed TWO huge fans in front of the radiator functioning. Today I heard an E500 coming into the parking lot and it sounded like an airplane landing.

Why if the E55 is so prone to heat sink do we only have one fan behind the radiator? Is there not enough room in front to add a couple of auxilary fans like the E500 has? It looks to me that if the two oil cooler(?) cores are moved that these could be added.

This maybe completely off the mark but I will throw it out for discussion's sake.
Doesnt look like there is room.. I have been looking into 2 possibilities:

1) Install a higher CFM rated fan (summit racing sells a few different ones).

2) Get Star Diagnostics to change the FAN turn on temp and lower it to a more reasonable level. I believe the stock fans come on at 200F or something crazy like that.. I would like them turned on at 160F or lower.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
2) Get Star Diagnostics to change the FAN turn on temp and lower it to a more reasonable level. I believe the stock fans come on at 200F or something crazy like that.. I would like them turned on at 160F or lower.
Since the thermostat doesn't open at a temperature that low, it's questionable how much good would result. If you want to experiment, you could wire a switch to turn it on via a 12-volt relay fed from the battery or similar junction.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Since the thermostat doesn't open at a temperature that low, it's questionable how much good would result. If you want to experiment, you could wire a switch to turn it on via a 12-volt relay fed from the battery or similar junction.
How would that work though? Do you mean disconnect the wires from the fan put my switch wires in their place in effect removing all control of the fan from the ECU?

Or did you mean to somehow put the switch in place with the factory wiring so I can override the turn-on ??

I'm not too good on the electrical side so I am not sure how I would wire this up...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Victor there might be an even easier way to do it via the high speed fan relay. It probably activates via ground so a simple switch will do. The WIS cd is so hard to use, it takes forever to find anything. I will try to verify all of the above and get back to you.

Does anybody sell a paperback shop manual for our cars?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
The WIS cd is so hard to use, it takes forever to find anything. I will try to verify all of the above and get back to you.

Does anybody sell a paperback shop manual for our cars?
Amen to that!! I would buy a bloody set if they made it in good old fashioned paperback.

Let me know what you come up with...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
How would that work though? Do you mean disconnect the wires from the fan put my switch wires in their place in effect removing all control of the fan from the ECU?

Or did you mean to somehow put the switch in place with the factory wiring so I can override the turn-on ??
Wire the relay in parallel to the existing wiring so that either could control the fan. It doesn't matter who turns it on or if both are active. It will operate the same. Or you could wire the control side of the relay to a circuit that becomes hot when the car is turned on, so the fan will always be on. If you decide to persue this, make sure the relay is rated for 30 amps. Summit should carry them.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Wire the relay in parallel to the existing wiring so that either could control the fan. It doesn't matter who turns it on or if both are active. It will operate the same. Or you could wire the control side of the relay to a circuit that becomes hot when the car is turned on, so the fan will always be on. If you decide to persue this, make sure the relay is rated for 30 amps. Summit should carry them.
Ok.. I'll add that to the next order from Summit and give it a go.

Thanks!