Exhaust/muffler bypass valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Exhaust/muffler bypass valve

Does anyone have any info on electronically actuated muffler bypass valves?
The new Aston Martin V8 Vantage has a system that bypasses the muffler at 4000 RPM to give it better sound and top end grunt.
Couldn't we install something similar in our cars to give us that elusive SL55 sound, but only when we really want it, at WOT, above 4000RPM?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Is this what your talking about?https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...muffler+cutout
There are several other forum members who have one similar things. Run a search for "cutouts"
Old 09-17-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
I have this installed on my car, $1400 installed. LOUD as hell. The car feels VERY SLOW when I have this open all the way.

HP wise I was very disappointed. Not sure if the car runs leaner causing the ECU to retard timing or if was a bernouli effect but I only use it to bait worthy cars and then race them with the system closed....it has to be music to your ears to get it. I think I lost at least 50 butt dyno from it particulary at low RPMS.

If you look at VRUS's posts you will see he had the same feeling.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vetluver
Is this what your talking about?https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...muffler+cutout
There are several other forum members who have one similar things. Run a search for "cutouts"
Yes, thank you!
QTP site is www.quicktimeperformance.com
I will contact them for advice.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust/muffler bypass valve-qtp-dual-3-inch.jpg  
Old 09-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As baller has discovered, these things do little more than make noise. Not an effective mod for a street machine. I believe the Aston Martin system bleeds exhaust at higher RPMs - I don't think it totally bypasses the muffler.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rafal
Yes, thank you!
QTP site is www.quicktimeperformance.com
I will contact them for advice.
I was thinking about this for a while. I don't think it is a good idea personally.

As everyone else has said.. It is nice as a sound maker, but don't expect performance out of it.

The only benefit I see is if you are running flat out on the highway, you can open it up and will give you better flow.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55 baller
I have this installed on my car, $1400 installed. LOUD as hell. The car feels VERY SLOW when I have this open all the way.

HP wise I was very disappointed. Not sure if the car runs leaner causing the ECU to retard timing or if was a bernouli effect but I only use it to bait worthy cars and then race them with the system closed....it has to be music to your ears to get it. I think I lost at least 50 butt dyno from it particulary at low RPMS.

If you look at VRUS's posts you will see he had the same feeling.
Where exactly did you install the valves? I assume you did both sides? Is it before or after the resonator? Or, perhaps, before the secondary cats?
Is it just a "light switch" or can you hook it up to the revcounter so it works gradually after, say, 4000RPM, with fully open at 5000RPM?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Exclamation Here's an IDEA !

Rafal - What about setting the Cut-Out System up so that it exits into a smaller tube size as opposed to the same tube size. This would still increase the over-all tube volume but keep it with-in the ECU's ability to adjust the A/F ratio. Or, if a dual program set up could be arranged so that the ECU could be switched over to another Map when the exhaust valve was opened. Or, maybe a combination of these two ideas. - Bob