W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I approach dealer re: lunging and stalling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
How should I approach dealer re: lunging and stalling?

Well I brought the car in for the 10k mile service, and I asked them to once again check on the stalling issue. Like some other owners here, I experienced the car getting very jumpy and lunging when pressing the gas even lightly in traffic.

The tech supposedly took the car out today in traffic, and could not replicate. I tell them of course not..but next time the yankees play boston, take a ride to the bronx and let me know how it goes lol. In any case, as we all know, there are no errors showing up. They more often than not, cannot replicate the issue. Is there someone they should be asking higher up for guidance on this issue? I've already requested they possibly contact their area rep for to possibly shed some light on the issue.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
Sounds similar to the transmission fluid contamination problem that many of us with CLKs have had due to degradation of a coolant line that allows radiator coolant to mix with the transmission fluid. The fix was to replace the transmission, torque converter, radiator, and all associated cooling lines (reportedly a $7-10k repair). I got the same cannot replicate response my first go around with service, but I eventually asked them to check for coolant contamination directly, and they immediately realized the problem and fixed it.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by ThemisN
Well I brought the car in for the 10k mile service, and I asked them to once again check on the stalling issue. Like some other owners here, I experienced the car getting very jumpy and lunging when pressing the gas even lightly in traffic.

The tech supposedly took the car out today in traffic, and could not replicate. I tell them of course not..but next time the yankees play boston, take a ride to the bronx and let me know how it goes lol. In any case, as we all know, there are no errors showing up. They more often than not, cannot replicate the issue. Is there someone they should be asking higher up for guidance on this issue? I've already requested they possibly contact their area rep for to possibly shed some light on the issue.
My car lunges and is jumpy when i press the gas also, I think the problem is it is a supercharged 469hp motor
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
My car lunges and is jumpy when i press the gas also, I think the problem is it is a supercharged 469hp motor
LOL funny. Now, if the car does it on its own in bumper to bumper traffic and you wonder if the next time you are gonna go right into the guy in front of you, let me know how much fun it is. Or even better, after you get it to stop, your 90k car stalls on you. That's what my money gets, huh?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
How to deal with the lunging? Why, give 'em a lungful, of course!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
LOL funny. Now, if the car does it on its own in bumper to bumper traffic and you wonder if the next time you are gonna go right into the guy in front of you, let me know how much fun it is. Or even better, after you get it to stop, your 90k car stalls on you. That's what my money gets, huh?
If my ***'n car stalls out on me I'll light the mother ***** on fire and leave it.
I hear ya brother, good luck at the stealership!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
After my car stalled for the 3rd time I was talking to the V.P. of the dealership and told her it was no longer just an inconvenience, but may become a safety issue. Told her that up until now it has only died while stopped in traffic but what if it shut off while doing 60 or 80. That's all I had to say. She told me she would do whatever I wanted including giving me a new car. I had already had a good relationship with her which i'm sure helped. It was comforting to know that I knew she would do the right thing and I wouldn't have to go battle MBUSA to get involved.

Not sure what type of relationship you have with your dealer but I would document every time it stalls, and bring it in. How many times has it stalled? I would push the safety issue and go directly to the owner/President of the dealership and ask them why you should be expected to drive a car that shuts off by itself while driving, and would they put their family in a car like that.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:49 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by cte430

Not sure what type of relationship you have with your dealer but I would document every time it stalls, and bring it in. How many times has it stalled? I would push the safety issue and go directly to the owner/President of the dealership and ask them why you should be expected to drive a car that shuts off by itself while driving, and would they put their family in a car like that.
The problem I See there is that the dealership I bring the car to for service, is not the one I bought it at. The one I bought it at is about an hour from my home without traffic, so I take to one that is closer. Not sure how willing they would be to stick their neck out for me when they didn't sell me the car.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
The problem I See there is that the dealership I bring the car to for service, is not the one I bought it at. The one I bought it at is about an hour from my home without traffic, so I take to one that is closer. Not sure how willing they would be to stick their neck out for me when they didn't sell me the car.
They should be willing to "Work" with you. Hey you spent alot of cash for your car and you should receive good service. I know a Dr. that had a similar problem with service. So he went to the dealership and everytime he saw someone looking at a car he told them not to purchase it. Finally the head guy spoke to him and his problems were solved. Now that are kissing his proverbial "Butt" Sometimes one has to resort to other measures to get what is due to them.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM
JDM

2011 C300
...ask them about carbon buildup. I was told by my dealer that the reason my engine stumbles and stalls is because of carbon build up. Apparently they have recently been informed that this is an issue with mb engines. They had a number of cars return with the same problem after being "fixed", and found that they were missing the carbon problem.

Last edited by JDM; 09-21-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 PM

'04 E55
I got the same problem. My car is still at the dealer right now. They're replacing the fuel pump as they found out it was acting up during their tests. They had to special order the fuel pump as according to them it was difficult to find one. They also replaced my cranking sensor. Hopefully those replacements will fix the stalling problem. It usually happens during hot days and when the car is hot.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:55 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by SamE55
I got the same problem. My car is still at the dealer right now. They're replacing the fuel pump as they found out it was acting up during their tests. They had to special order the fuel pump as according to them it was difficult to find one. They also replaced my cranking sensor. Hopefully those replacements will fix the stalling problem. It usually happens during hot days and when the car is hot.
Yea thats when it has happened to me. Only has happened I think 3 times, hasnt happened in a while. Well, the dealership told me all they did was an engine control module update. Again, a big pain because they couldn't replicate it. Im thinking maybe I should tell them to give me a tech and drive up to boston when the yanks play up there next week lol.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
What was the final outcome/solution please?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by RJC
What was the final outcome/solution please?
Well for me? Im still getting check engine lights. They changed my lifters this week, and I got the check engine light again for half a day. As far as the lunging, they "reset engine adaptations" and "reset trans adaptations".

It'll go back this week or next.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well for me? Im still getting check engine lights. They changed my lifters this week, and I got the check engine light again for half a day. As far as the lunging, they "reset engine adaptations" and "reset trans adaptations".

It'll go back this week or next.
Yikes, I can't believe you're having to have all this work done, what's with your lifters?

Also, is the lunging setting off check engine lights as I thought it never caused a code? Did you have the crank senosr and fuel pump stuff done for the lunging, as I doubt resetting adaptations will do anything long term, my car only has 970 miles and it just did it to me today; this could be very dangerous and I will not pay $91k for a car and put up with this kind of thing. Is there a cure? Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 06-15-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone else that had/having this problem what's the latest please.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I think it might be the throttle by wire system .... mbe a dry contact in the foot well or engine bay ??
Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by RJC
Yikes, I can't believe you're having to have all this work done, what's with your lifters?

Also, is the lunging setting off check engine lights as I thought it never caused a code? Did you have the crank senosr and fuel pump stuff done for the lunging, as I doubt resetting adaptations will do anything long term, my car only has 970 miles and it just did it to me today; this could be very dangerous and I will not pay $91k for a car and put up with this kind of thing. Is there a cure? Thanks
They might be related, but no..the lunging does notcause the check engine lights. They happen independently. They changed several temp sensors and thermostats, as well as the crank sensor ( i think a while ago), but no fuel pump work.

Lifters were bc there was a loud knocking that had developed. We'll what they decide to do next.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:22 PM

'04 E55
I knew this problem would resurrect in summer because I have no doubt this is related with heat. My car hasn't stalled ever since dealer replaced the fuel pump relay of my car but unfortunately one day recently when it was in the 80s outside my car felt like it was about to stall again as I was pulling out of a parking lot so I'm afraid one of these hot days it might happen again
Old 06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I knew this problem would resurrect in summer because I have no doubt this is related with heat. My car hasn't stalled ever since dealer replaced the fuel pump relay of my car but unfortunately one day recently when it was in the 80s outside my car felt like it was about to stall again as I was pulling out of a parking lot so I'm afraid one of these hot days it might happen again
Hey Sam, how are you? Did they ever replace the crank sensor? Seemed to fix mine, but also may have to do periodically.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
How to approach the dealer? TELL THE TRUTH. LOL, how about one of you write a really detailed version of what this gremlin does and the rest of us can say that ours does the same. That way, we all say the same thing and we can all get new crank sensors!!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am in South Florida and it was/is very hot here. I had driven the car from my home for about 5 miles to church and after about 10 mins (went to pray not in for a full mass) I went to my car, it started just fine and as I pulled out of the parking lot onto US-1 and gave the car very light throttle as it started bucking back and forth (like a manual car in first gear at low speeds without putting in the clutch when coming to a stop) I was only doing about 25 mph when it started to happen, a car in the right lane had to jam on his brakes as mine were not on while my car stumbled and jerked back and forth to almost a complete stop. Guy's I'm sorry, this stuff is just not for me.I need to either find the true 100% fix from MB or I may have to get another car.

Last edited by RJC; 06-16-2006 at 09:48 PM.