W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Improviz
Wow, where did you get that image?? Could've saved me a bunch of trouble if I'd have had that!!

Yeah, I agree about the bang for the buck (and for a lot more bucks in many cases!) of that Z06. Pretty amazing performance from that thing.

I do also think that the M is an amazing car, but I also think the AMGs are amzaing cars, and I get annoyed at the pooh-pooing of Mercedes by these trolls...

Anyway, thanks for the image!
No problem, this race has been debated in other forums for a long time. The M would have been better off racing at 30 mph not 37 mph, that was a bonus for the Gallardo.

People that poo poo BMW, Merc's are idiots..they are all the finest of german engineering. LOL..a 4 door family car for the track/circuit. Amazing that these cars are examined next to the supercars of today! That say's it all.
Golden rule...it is not how fast your car is, it's how much money you have in it. A rustang at $25,000 and $17k invested will smoke us all! Not to mention the Grand Nat's....

Sorry about the pick I found, you doing the math was good, I was just grading your paper!... A+, your right on. So for now on GUYS when IMPROVISE says it's this speed at this RPM for any car, he is going to be right.

jordan

Last edited by jordan; 11-19-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by jordan
As you will find out,,I am a man of facts. I was thinking it was 30 mph. If he was running 6800 at 38 mph, he should have started out in 2nd! And the viper race was good for the M5 to be in second at that speed. And your figures are correct. Remember, I have not preff for types of cars...just fast ones...as they all are the best at something/type. IE...M5 on the track or highway is where this car shines, E55 1/4 in the sedan category. Z06 as far as sports car is the best bang for the buck.. I don't think much will touch it for a while. Here is what I found....to back up your numbers as they are right on brother.....but still say M5 in 2nd at that speed would have been better. But still would have lost at the top speed they only went. This proves
scratch is not correct about him being in 2nd at 55. Case close! Proof is what it's about....

Remember guys, this 1 M5's video is not the Gospel as we don't know all about the settings or car. I have seen some fast video of the M5 beating the Gallardo's and other things....Let's just hold out for a bit longer and we will see more races and track times to get a true idea of how fast the M is before we think it is slow and an easy win. Trust me, there are many a race I thought would be easy and lost, even to a freakin pick up truck. ALL new cars out should get 3 or 4 months of seasoning and track times/races before it goes in the AUTO BIBLE. I love the e55's, M5's, Vipers, ZO6's and even the Gallardo as they are all neck and neck and fun to drive.

Jordan...

I have been reading you all for a while, just never chimed in for the past 4 months. check out this photo I found, this vid and other have all been talked about. Seek info before doing the Math...it's faster and easier.
If my memory serves me (after all, it has been 2 days since I drove it!), 1st in the M5 tops out at 45mph and at 35mph, second gear would be around 4200rpm. Starting the race in second gear at this speed would give the opponent a big jump.

I'm driving the car again next week and hopefully, I can also get something else worthy to play with too.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
If my memory serves me (after all, it has been 2 days since I drove it!), 1st in the M5 tops out at 45mph and at 35mph, second gear would be around 4200rpm. Starting the race in second gear at this speed would give the opponent a big jump.

I'm driving the car again next week and hopefully, I can also get something else worthy to play with too.
Looks like your having too much fun.

The only reason I say second it at 6,700 rpm there would be lots of wheel spin as in the video slaming to 8k, then the gear change. I would gamble if I was the driver and hope to make up the diff with solid power from Second and climbing to 67 and changing into 3rd. Tough to say, wheel spin just sucks as the E55 knows. If the M is on Sport mode, IE chassie rigid, it's going to spin everytime, as do the Porche gt even with the rear eng.

How do you get to drive these cars!

Jordan
Old 11-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

had to do it this way, this was a spredsheet on the M5 vs B5 BMW's. Gustav had it on the M5board.

jordan
Attached Thumbnails E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...-spred1.jpg  

Last edited by jordan; 11-19-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG

Hi...I think there's a lot of confusion being generated by the km/h and mph thing, so again:

Run versus Gallardo was in first gear, at 60 km/h = 37.5 mph...

Run versus Viper was in second gear, at 80 km/h = 50 mph...

Viper run was right at M's torque peak. Gallardo run was within 20 Nm of it, still pretty good.

I am looking at Gustav's spreadsheet; numbers seem a bit off in that entries at 6,500 rpm are higher than those at 6,000; torque peak is at 6,100 rpm, so I would think the 6,000 rpm entries should be higher...check this out: 6000 looks higher up on the torque than 6,500, yet Gustav's sheet claims more wheel force at 6,500 when per torque graph 6,000 should be peak in spreadsheet, with 6,500 coming in lower. Something's not right with his force calculations, but his RPM vs speed stuff looks OK...

Old 11-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Times for AMG/M5/B5 Alpina....I can't read German! just "JA=YES"
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...achmentid=9656

Spreadsheet/where I got the data.....Author is sheikh on m5board.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...achmentid=5725

Looks like the E55 beat the Alpina around the TRACK!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...achmentid=9655

Some VIDS....love the Barabus.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5921033/B...bel_1.mp4.html

I leave the math up to you all, I just look/find facts, I don't make them.

Last edited by jordan; 11-19-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG

E55AMG99, please make a vid of some M5 antics for us if possible!!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Looks like your having too much fun.

The only reason I say second it at 6,700 rpm there would be lots of wheel spin as in the video slaming to 8k, then the gear change. I would gamble if I was the driver and hope to make up the diff with solid power from Second and climbing to 67 and changing into 3rd. Tough to say, wheel spin just sucks as the E55 knows. If the M is on Sport mode, IE chassie rigid, it's going to spin everytime, as do the Porche gt even with the rear eng.

How do you get to drive these cars!

Jordan
Yes, wheelspin is a big gamble in first at that RPM. I did not get a chance to really test that in my 2.5 hour drive earlier this week. From a dig, wheelspin is not that much of a problem. Tire size, gear ratio and torque are fairly well matched. This gives me something to try next week when I get the car again.

How do I get to drive these cars? I have a lot of friends that are VERY generous and VERY wealthy!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Improviz
Hi...I think there's a lot of confusion being generated by the km/h and mph thing, so again:

Run versus Gallardo was in first gear, at 60 km/h = 37.5 mph...

Run versus Viper was in second gear, at 80 km/h = 50 mph...

Viper run was right at M's torque peak. Gallardo run was within 20 Nm of it, still pretty good.

I am looking at Gustav's spreadsheet; numbers seem a bit off in that entries at 6,500 rpm are higher than those at 6,000; torque peak is at 6,100 rpm, so I would think the 6,000 rpm entries should be higher...check this out: 6000 looks higher up on the torque than 6,500, yet Gustav's sheet claims more wheel force at 6,500 when per torque graph 6,000 should be peak in spreadsheet, with 6,500 coming in lower. Something's not right with his force calculations, but his RPM vs speed stuff looks OK...
There is a lot of confusion and I appologize if I added to it. I was pondering whether it would be better for the M to be in 1st or 2nd when racing from a 35mph roll.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, wheelspin is a big gamble in first at that RPM. I did not get a chance to really test that in my 2.5 hour drive earlier this week. From a dig, wheelspin is not that much of a problem. Tire size, gear ratio and torque are fairly well matched. This gives me something to try next week when I get the car again.

How do I get to drive these cars? I have a lot of friends that are VERY generous and VERY wealthy!
Please tell us your opinion on a D5 DSC off run from stop to 70 ish no launch control-just mash it down....then try it with S6 to 70 ish. I would like an honest unbiased oppinion of your thoughts watching the speedo. Sounds like fun guys to be around.

Jordan
Old 11-20-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Please tell us your opinion on a D5 DSC off run from stop to 70 ish no launch control-just mash it down....then try it with S6 to 70 ish. I would like an honest unbiased oppinion of your thoughts watching the speedo. Sounds like fun guys to be around.

Jordan
From a stop, the car does not snap your neck like a Gallardo, 996TT or any of the 55 Kompressors. It does pick up steam rapidly as RPMs get over 4500-5000. Wheelspin from a dig is almost non-existent on good pavement. Most of the time I was driving in S5 and S6 but I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. Maybe becasue I was more interested in driving the damn thing instead of getting a computer lesson.

If I get the car again, I'll bring the video camera.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Very nice and thank you again. Would love to see some Vid's of the cars you all are driving! Some say if you "blip the throttle" then nail it, it is quite a take off and ride. Just by tapping the throttle quickly 1 or 2 times then plant your foot. I would like to know if you feel it launch hard without LC. Your a good sport and thank you for information, it's people like you that make this board so good.

jordan
Old 11-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Why can't we just all get along???!!
Seriously, can't we just all agree that both the M5 and the E55 is equally capable and be done with it? there will be instances when the M5 will win a race and there will be instances where the E55 will win. This is why people race, it's because there is not consistency in a street race, too many variable when you have 2 cars so close in performance. When are these kind of discussion will end?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by dmzz
Why can't we just all get along???!!
Seriously, can't we just all agree that both the M5 and the E55 is equally capable and be done with it? there will be instances when the M5 will win a race and there will be instances where the E55 will win. This is why people race, it's because there is not consistency in a street race, too many variable when you have 2 cars so close in performance. When are these kind of discussion will end?
Trust me, with all the mods in the world, you beat 1 car, the same car can beat you 1 week later at a different light/starting speed. I have not gripped with anyone. We were just talking some "detailed facts". I like the M5 and the E55 and the Z06 and some others that I cant actualy afford, "says the wife".

jordan
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skratch77
hello look at the dyno impo posted.its peak tourqe is at 6k like where I said the car should of been in the first place

the m5 has more tourqe from 6k-7.5k than its does from 3k all the way to 5.5k

and ill repeat it again for my 3rd time the m5 was not in its power band.
so what if it wasn't? winning is winning, losing is losing
Old 11-21-2005, 03:20 AM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Why all the aggression in this thread? I've got an E60 M5 ( and a Gallardo) and I loved the E55 when I drove it. I'd own one happily.

Isn't diversity a good thing? I love it when I go driving with friends and we have lots of different cars along. It makes it more interesting.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 AM

Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Intersesting numbers. Notice the wide variation in times between each mag, especially the Lambo. SportAuto must have been driving a dog or there was a rock under the go pedal.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Here is the First page of that article.....

Jordan
Attached Thumbnails E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...-m5webart.jpg   E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...-m5-articlem5webart2.jpg  
Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
The M6 times are far faster than the M5's.

And the articles note that that M6 was shod with ultra-sticky low-wear tires.

But this is a thread about a BMW M5 versus a Gallardo. And EVO, which did a head to head of the cars as I stated previously,

And the fact is that in all four tests in which the M5 has been run in the 1/4 mile, it ran from a fast of 12.55 to a slow of 13.2. And that's with Euro launch control, which as others in this forum have noted is absent from American cars, which have a diluted version of LC limited to 1800 rpm. Which got our own DerekFSU a fairly slow 1/4 mile time, as can be seen by reading his thread in this forum.

Btw, that post from our new, mysterious friend "FactMan", is an exact duplicate of our friend M&M's prior post in the E55 forum, right down to the order in which the magazine articles appear. Very interesting....shall I 'singh' you a tune, "FactMan"?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Don't count on the M5 not going under 12.55 with its LC US version. Chips are already out giving you full LC. BUT, mark my words, we will see mid 12's without LC from the M5's. As soon as these cars start heading to the track, so will better drivers with different setups. Sure, it would be fun to see 2 peoples Time slips the first month the car is to the US and think, that is how fast they will be, but....Don't kid yourself.

We will see the M5 going faster than the only 1-2 time slips we have on record. By Christmas, I bet we see mid 12's if not low 12's from FL boys. If not, it will be by spring after the snow melts from the Nothern boys.

Just have fun and enjoy everyones enjoyment for nice cars!

Jordan
Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Don't count on the M5 not going under 12.55 with its LC US version. Chips are already out giving you full LC. BUT, mark my words, we will see mid 12's without LC from the M5's. As soon as these cars start heading to the track, so will better drivers with different setups. Sure, it would be fun to see 2 peoples Time slips the first month the car is to the US and think, that is how fast they will be, but....Don't kid yourself.
I'm not kidding myself. I am looking at objective data, in the form of four (4) instrumented 1/4 mile tests run in Europe with European launch control, and the 1/4 mile results I've seen here, including those from DerekFSU, who has quite a bit of track experience under his belt as a quick perusal of his posting history will show. All of these are in the 12.5 to low 13 range.

These are the only instrumented 1/4 mile tests I've seen for this car, and none of them have hit a low 12 yet, two hit a mid 12, one hit a high 12 (12.8, in Autocar), and one hit a low 13 (EVO, at 13.2). This is multiple runs from the mags and from Derek, over ten in all with several different cars, most of which had Euro launch control.

I, too, am a man of facts, and the facts on the ground thus far do not support a low 12 from this car. Otoh, there are multiple members in this forum who have already gotten 12.0s out of stock E55s, and now we have an 11.9 (see main forum).

We'll see, once the mags start testing them. But certain people who were here singhing the praises of the M5 were predicting high 11's from this car, and clearly their predictions were wildly off the mark.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:23 PM

I agree that the time will only gets better for the M5. How much better? It's anyone's guess. After all the SMGIII is pretty complex and takes the owners a while to figure out what is the best setting to lauch the car. Plus properly broken in car will even perform better. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

We will see the M5 going faster than the only 1-2 time slips we have on record. By Christmas, I bet we see mid 12's if not low 12's from FL boys. If not, it will be by spring after the snow melts from the Nothern boys.

Just have fun and enjoy everyones enjoyment for nice cars!

Jordan
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Why do all the M5 Gustavo's and //M trolls continue to post one off non replicable M5 video wins over the E55?

Please post a 1/4 time that surpasses the average E55 of 12.3-12.4? Show me a bone stock M5 even an M6 than can pull an 11.84@118... Can you? No?

Insurmountable evidence now exists with 1/4 times that illustrate the E55 smokes the M5 ...who cares if the M5 is faster from 100, 120, 180mph...99% of all road races will not occur at such speeds, and if you start racing that high up you are an idiot for endangering other lives.

The M5 owns the E55 on the track, the E55 owns the M5 on the street and strip. Amen.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Why do all the M5 Gustavo's and //M trolls continue to post one off non replicable M5 video wins over the E55?

Please post a 1/4 time that surpasses the average E55 of 12.3-12.4? Show me a bone stock M5 even an M6 than can pull an 11.84@118... Can you? No?

Insurmountable evidence now exists with 1/4 times that illustrate the E55 smokes the M5 ...who cares if the M5 is faster from 100, 120, 180mph...99% of all road races will not occur at such speeds, and if you start racing that high up you are an idiot for endangering other lives.

The M5 owns the E55 on the track, the E55 owns the M5 on the street and strip. Amen.
+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E60 M5 beaten by Gallarado and Viper video...