[VIDEO] (STOCK) SL55 AMG vs. (STOCK) M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zenith
I hardly see how his company will care to be honest (I have no idea what his company is) though that depends what sort of company it is. Also... How do you know its another dude posting under a different name? I looked through his profile but I coudln't tell.

Sorry to play devils advocate all the time, but I think it's good to have plenty of factual evidence in anything (which is why I also mention that the M5 and 55s are like apples and oranges )
I'll bet you do....

I'm not prepared to reveal how I know he's the same guy, but he's the same guy.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Zenith I dont want to get into an argument with you, but before asking questions know your facts!

Look to the post up there, that says sweetie! (nice wording )
and you will see the fake time slip.

Second,
do you even have a single clue what video I am talking about and what lie I am talking about?

I think you have no clue, as clueless you are don't jump the gun.

I am talking about a video where mr m5 rocks gustav posted on rs6.com forum, and I have single handedly caught him lying. And as of up to this date he still does not accept that he lied, he just tries to wash off slide away silently and tries to be funny as well. Well I would have had some respect after I caught him lying and proved it and he came and said "well yes I lied, and now i am busted" and as an expected behavior he did not do that.

As I have single handedly caught him lying, and proved it I will not believe a single video he posts, or a single video that was posted by someone else but he defends.

End of story.

BTW I love the new M5, and I still am considering ordering one, just waiting a tad more to see if it will have the same kind of problems that the m3 had in its initial launch. But I do not think it is the king of the road as many m5 lovers try to prove to be.

Last edited by zumbalak; 12-02-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Sorry I couldn't tell you if you were being sarcastic or not with that "sweetie," but I'm assuming you're actually trying to be patronising? I don't actually appreciate that, particularly as I'm not actually trying to be a M5 fanatic or a 55 fanatic, merely a fan of both who is sceptical without solid evidence - is that OK with you "sweetie"? :-|
Maybe, honey, you should start out by not accusing other people in here of making false charges before you've seen their evidence, i.e. the photoshop evidence posted in the thread to which I gave you the link?

You basically implied that the people here who claimed that an M5 enthusiast had posted a p-chopped timeslip were full of it. So fine...but if you start off on the wrong foot, don't be surprised if you get a frosty reception.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:21 PM

07 S65
I hardly see how his company will care to be honest (I have no idea what his company is) though that depends what sort of company it is. Also... How do you know its another dude posting under a different name? I looked through his profile but I coudln't tell.

Sorry to play devils advocate all the time, but I think it's good to have plenty of factual evidence in anything (which is why I also mention that the M5 and 55s are like apples and oranges )
Did you read the entire thread about the fake M5 slip??? If you really think the SL55/M5 video can be real, we should ban you now because you will never be able to contribute anything to this forum.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Actually, I'll be glad to leave here. I never said you, nor anyone else was full of it, just to be careful to make sure you had the right evidence before accusing. That being said, it is plainly obvious that they were edited pictures firstly, secondly why wouldn't that SL55/M5 video be real? There are plenty of factors which could have meant that the 55 was retarded without being rigged. Though it does look suspect, isn't it supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Without more evidence, there is no proof, only speculation, therefore it seems that while it is suspect, it's more likely a one-off abberation?

I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory, but you guys seem real quick to jump the gun and assume the worst, and abuse the living daylights out of anyone else who disagrees.

Zumbalak, sorry I didn't know you were referring to a different video, perhaps if I'd been here longer I might have realised that, but I've only been reading this site for a matter of hours, so could you perhaps cut me some slack there?

And yes, I'm dissapointed that Gustav would close that thread on the M5 board - after reading it again, it wasn't turning into a sludge fest, nor a massive argument.

My apologies to all that were offended by my posts, in no way did I mean to offend anyone, merely stating my opinions as I could see things at the time, and trying to ascertain facts for myself. Not all of us were born with an uncanny ability to put 2 and 2 together before being told what they were. But this place is somewhere where I doubt I'll be welcome again, despite the fact that I never bashed people, or cars, but merely wanted facts.

And I won't be back. So I hope you have a lovely day beating up on eachother instead.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Actually, I'll be glad to leave here. I never said you, nor anyone else was full of it, just to be careful to make sure you had the right evidence before accusing. That being said, it is plainly obvious that they were edited pictures firstly, secondly why wouldn't that SL55/M5 video be real? There are plenty of factors which could have meant that the 55 was retarded without being rigged. Though it does look suspect, isn't it supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? Without more evidence, there is no proof, only speculation, therefore it seems that while it is suspect, it's more likely a one-off abberation?

I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory, but you guys seem real quick to jump the gun and assume the worst, and abuse the living daylights out of anyone else who disagrees.

Zumbalak, sorry I didn't know you were referring to a different video, perhaps if I'd been here longer I might have realised that, but I've only been reading this site for a matter of hours, so could you perhaps cut me some slack there?

And yes, I'm dissapointed that Gustav would close that thread on the M5 board - after reading it again, it wasn't turning into a sludge fest, nor a massive argument.

My apologies to all that were offended by my posts, in no way did I mean to offend anyone, merely stating my opinions as I could see things at the time, and trying to ascertain facts for myself. Not all of us were born with an uncanny ability to put 2 and 2 together before being told what they were. But this place is somewhere where I doubt I'll be welcome again, despite the fact that I never bashed people, or cars, but merely wanted facts.

And I won't be back. So I hope you have a lovely day beating up on eachother instead.

Having spent over 4 hours at the track today I can tell you that the new M5 has no chance in beating a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile PERIOD! Having said that, the M5 which is owned by a good buddy of mine is a AWESOME car that is designed for other things.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:43 AM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
If that video was real, that had to be a SL500, no SL55 would lose that bad to a M5, heck no SL55 should not lose to a M5 from a standing start period, if the owner has a clue about his/her car.

M5 RUS, true you win some, you lose some, but this video is just hideous. I can't even believe some folks can actually believe this is "an honest effort" video.

I know that the LC outside the US is 4000RPM, let me tell you that if that M5 launched at 4K RPM it would not have taken off like it did as it would have sat there burning rubber.

I swear most of these folks talking about this and that, and have never actually "really" driven either cars.

KK is a big fan of the M5, even he will tell you the M5 will not win a standing start race against any 55K cars.

Can we PLEASE stop this madness and talk about cars and how we can improve them. I ran 12.5 today in my M5, I'm not saying that all M5's are gonna run 12.5 best, but **** C&D and I got the same exact times...hmmmmm

I'm not even remotely saying that the E55 is better because it runs a better 1/4 mile, Chris (CTE430) said it best today after having driven my car today "you can't even compare the two cars". But I was surprised that he said the interior looked pretty good - Chris buddy, c'mon now, minus the dash where the full leather is and the I-Drive screen, everything below looks like crap
Old 12-03-2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by E55_POWER
If that video was real, that had to be a SL500, no SL55 would lose that bad to a M5, heck no SL55 should not lose to a M5 from a standing start period, if the owner has a clue about his/her car.

M5 RUS, true you win some, you lose some, but this video is just hideous. I can't even believe some folks can actually believe this is "an honest effort" video.

I know that the LC outside the US is 4000RPM, let me tell you that if that M5 launched at 4K RPM it would not have taken off like it did as it would have sat there burning rubber.

I swear most of these folks talking about this and that, and have never actually "really" driven either cars.

KK is a big fan of the M5, even he will tell you the M5 will not win a standing start race against any 55K cars.

Can we PLEASE stop this madness and talk about cars and how we can improve them. I ran 12.5 today in my M5, I'm not saying that all M5's are gonna run 12.5 best, but **** C&D and I got the same exact times...hmmmmm

I'm not even remotely saying that the E55 is better because it runs a better 1/4 mile, Chris (CTE430) said it best today after having driven my car today "you can't even compare the two cars". But I was surprised that he said the interior looked pretty good - Chris buddy, c'mon now, minus the dash where the full leather is and the I-Drive screen, everything below looks like crap
If the m5 would simply burn rubber with a 4k launch then it must have plenty of torque to the wheels (traction is the limiting factor for a launch) and so there would be no reason to say that the times can't be below 12.5.......some food for though atleast.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Having spent over 4 hours at the track today I can tell you that the new M5 has no chance in beating a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile PERIOD!
So no e55 has run above 12.6 More times than not the e55 may win but saying it has no chance is a big call especially since most euro tests say otherwise.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by reggid
So no e55 has run above 12.6 More times than not the e55 may win but saying it has no chance is a big call especially since most euro tests say otherwise.

I have seen over 10 E55's (stock) at our 1/4 track days over the past year that have run better then 12.6. Most of them run better then 12.4 Based on what I saw yesterday from the new M5 (I drove it several times) and from its owner, I would say that "No Chance" is a fair assessment.

The M5 is a wonderful car but its strength is not 0-60 or 1/4 mile. The car handles like a Porsche (have owned both a Boxster S an 911 TT).
Old 12-04-2005, 01:39 AM

If the m5 would simply burn rubber with a 4k launch then it must have plenty of torque to the wheels (traction is the limiting factor for a launch) and so there would be no reason to say that the times can't be below 12.5.......some food for though atleast.
I would agree but I guess us folks in the US will never know
Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 AM

Fair enought. Now don't get me wrong, I would love for my M5 to be able to launch at 4K RPM and get low 12s as I'm sure its very well possible based on the trap speeds but becase we're limited to 1600, it's hardly possible.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Oh, really? And what Euro 1/4 (or 400m) tests have you seen which called the M5 faster than 12.5 in the 1/4?

Because I've seen five tests now: four from overseas, one from here. And all have been in the mid to high 12's.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
There's so much of this M5 vs. all supercars BS that I dont believe any of it anymore. I'm not doubting the M5 is a great car and that it's fast, but these people want to make it seem like it's the fastest, best handling car on earth. I have never witnessed such hype surrounding a car.
I don't understand what it is about the M5 that makes people turn into blind sheep believing it is the ultimate car on the face of the planet.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Improviz
Oh, really? And what Euro 1/4 (or 400m) tests have you seen which called the M5 faster than 12.5 in the 1/4?

Because I've seen five tests now: four from overseas, one from here. And all have been in the mid to high 12's.
I never said any magazine reported that it had done less than 12.5 or that they indicated it could. I could ask you what magazine tests indicate that the e55 is an 11s car when the cars have run that. It seems obvious to me that magazine testers don't spend months with the car learning the best way to get the car down the 1/4, so one would hope the times can be improved upon.

But if the car can spin its 285 wide wheels from a standstill it must be making decent rwtq from the extra revs. The e55 can easily spin its wheels so to properly launch it must get the most traction. If both are traction limited from the launch then i would expect the M5 to also post low 12s at some stage in the next couple of years especially with a 6sp, but maybe not as frequently.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
I have seen over 10 E55's (stock) at our 1/4 track days over the past year that have run better then 12.6. Most of them run better then 12.4 Based on what I saw yesterday from the new M5 (I drove it several times) and from its owner, I would say that "No Chance" is a fair assessment.

The M5 is a wonderful car but its strength is not 0-60 or 1/4 mile. The car handles like a Porsche (have owned both a Boxster S an 911 TT).
The E55 has been out for quite a while and the best way to launch has pretty much been determined. Its probably not unreasonable to say that most people who run have probably been doing so for a while. If you were to make every owner of an E55 to the strip i'd bet that the average time would not be below 12.6 becasue you have to account for people who have never been to the track. Would it be fair to say that all E55 owners have gradually improved theri times?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I never said any magazine reported that it had done less than 12.5 or that they indicated it could. I could ask you what magazine tests indicate that the e55 is an 11s car when the cars have run that.
????Where did you ask me that?

Because what I was responding to was this:

What I was asking is, what Euro tests have you seen wherein the M5 was tested faster in the 1/4?? I've only seen four, and none were in E55-beating territory....only place where the M turns consistently better numbers is well into triple digit territory, from around 110-120 mph and up.

It seems obvious to me that magazine testers don't spend months with the car learning the best way to get the car down the 1/4, so one would hope the times can be improved upon.

But if the car can spin its 285 wide wheels from a standstill it must be making decent rwtq from the extra revs. The e55 can easily spin its wheels so to properly launch it must get the most traction. If both are traction limited from the launch then i would expect the M5 to also post low 12s at some stage in the next couple of years especially with a 6sp, but maybe not as frequently.
Well, the M3s did seem to get better times w/manuals, so you may well be right. At least BMW provides a limited slip differential, unlike Mercedes...grrr...but I digress...

But on the other hand, if the M5's with launch control at 4,000 rpm can't beat a 12.5 (per the Euro tests I've seen), then we may not even see many running 12.5 with the lower US launch control....Car & Driver failed to note in their latest test whether the vehicle they ran was equipped with Euro or US LC; in fact, they didn't discuss LC at all in the article.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Improviz
????Where did you ask me that?

Because what I was responding to was this:

What I was asking is, what Euro tests have you seen wherein the M5 was tested faster in the 1/4?? I've only seen four, and none were in E55-beating territory....only place where the M turns consistently better numbers is well into triple digit territory, from around 110-120 mph and up.

Well, the M3s did seem to get better times w/manuals, so you may well be right. At least BMW provides a limited slip differential, unlike Mercedes...grrr...but I digress...

But on the other hand, if the M5's with launch control at 4,000 rpm can't beat a 12.5 (per the Euro tests I've seen), then we may not even see many running 12.5 with the lower US launch control....Car & Driver failed to note in their latest test whether the vehicle they ran was equipped with Euro or US LC; in fact, they didn't discuss LC at all in the article.
I was referring to Euro tests showing the M5 equal or marginally quicker than the CLS not any actual times times below 12.5. The times were clsoe enough to suggest that its not impossible for a M5 to beat a E55 at some stage, which was claimed by someone else.

Yes the beauty of a manual is you have complete control of the rpms and clutch slippage which is handy potentially allowing you to launch fractionally better.

Maybe someone will figure out how to modify the US LC but i guess it won't be considered stock anymore.

Last edited by reggid; 12-04-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 AM

C 230K Coupé
Oh my god the video just made me laugh out loud. That M5 prob runs 9's in the quarter! I also love it how you can't even hear the SL55's rev's go up, sounds like he's cruising the entire time. Oh and those light poles....
That is the most pathetic video i have ever seen, anyone can see BS written all over it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by r3v1ls
That is the most pathetic video i have ever seen, anyone can see BS written all over it.
Unfortunately the internet is full of it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I was referring to Euro tests showing the M5 equal or marginally quicker than the CLS not any actual times times below 12.5. The times were clsoe enough to suggest that its not impossible for a M5 to beat a E55 at some stage, which was claimed by someone else.

Yes the beauty of a manual is you have complete control of the rpms and clutch slippage which is handy potentially allowing you to launch fractionally better.

Maybe someone will figure out how to modify the US LC but i guess it won't be considered stock anymore.
I think at sub-100 mph speeds, the Benzes will win most of the time, but I've seen way too many races to say "never say never"....too many variables there, and the cars are quite close...but the superior torque of the Benzes gives them a huge edge under those conditions.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

I can't believe that a BS video got this much attention. I've owned the 55 and launching it is not that complicated. The 55 engine roars when punched, and will not lay down for any BMW like that. What a joke.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 AM

The E55 has been out for quite a while and the best way to launch has pretty much been determined. Its probably not unreasonable to say that most people who run have probably been doing so for a while. If you were to make every owner of an E55 to the strip i'd bet that the average time would not be below 12.6 becasue you have to account for people who have never been to the track. Would it be fair to say that all E55 owners have gradually improved theri times?
Yes

We did have a young man out the track the other day who had never been to the strip in his life and had no clue what to do. He went up did a burn out and we had to give him play by play what the lights are and how far to go and he did a 12.6 something.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 PM

Reggid, yes I would agree that the first time I took the E55 with Renntech Stage 1 I ran a 13.4 I believe followed by a 12.1 on my 2nd run. SamE55's very first run was a 12.6, 1st time EVER and I'm sure he could have followed it up with a lower run, but he opted not to run anymore.

Impro, the M5 with LC at 4K RPM at the track, I really believe will be in the low 12s based on the trap speeds I was getting along with Wayne and Spero.

Guys, this is getting pretty old. I have a M5 and have run at the track and if anyone wants info or input you can PM me. I'm not going to participate in anymore of these M5 vs. E55, SL55 - which is faster - 1/4 times BS.

Have fun everyone and stay safe...

Spero man I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the 997. Not sure which one it is but I saw one at the mall with what appeared to be front ground effects, but it looked like factory.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by E55_POWER
Reggid, yes I would agree that the first time I took the E55 with Renntech Stage 1 I ran a 13.4 I believe followed by a 12.1 on my 2nd run. SamE55's very first run was a 12.6, 1st time EVER and I'm sure he could have followed it up with a lower run, but he opted not to run anymore.

Impro, the M5 with LC at 4K RPM at the track, I really believe will be in the low 12s based on the trap speeds I was getting along with Wayne and Spero.

Guys, this is getting pretty old. I have a M5 and have run at the track and if anyone wants info or input you can PM me. I'm not going to participate in anymore of these M5 vs. E55, SL55 - which is faster - 1/4 times BS.

Have fun everyone and stay safe...

Spero man I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the 997. Not sure which one it is but I saw one at the mall with what appeared to be front ground effects, but it looked like factory.

AMEN & Praise the Lord