Proper Cooling Pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Proper Cooling Pump

This is the pump we need for our systems ...

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...Code=ElectPump

Polished Aluminum or Anodised in black or red - in line pump. Being in line its pretty quiet as well ... up to 55 gal/min.

OK it is $400 - but it does work VERY well. It should improve things substantially even without an additonal / seperate cooling core.

The Johnson marine pump is not a long term solution in my opinion...

Rgds Steve
Attached Thumbnails Proper Cooling Pump-_pro_black_ewp.gif  

Last edited by stevebez; 12-08-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
The Johnson marine pump is not a long term solution in my opinion...
Yes, we have looked at this pump also. There were several shortcomings:

1. Routing hoses - Johnson has similar layout to Bosch which makes it easier to mount and connect hoses.

2. Johnson is rated for twice as many hours.

3. Johnson is less expensive.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport

1. Routing hoses - Johnson has similar layout to Bosch which makes it easier to mount and connect hoses.

what is your price for a jonson marine pump vadim?

what is the flow rate of the pump you guys are discussing.

have you ever fitted a high flow pump to a C32 vadim? i assume you have one on your car correct?

factory pumps are a joke so anything is better than oem but its best to get one that will last for years. gone through 4 on 1 car and 2 on another. getting old fast!

thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport

I am interested in purchasing a Johnson Marine Pump for my 2003 E55. can you pleease quote?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Almost a Member!

am intrsted to can you please give me the part number.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

E55
Originally Posted by E.fifty.5
I am interested in purchasing a Johnson Marine Pump for my 2003 E55. can you pleease quote?

I will take one too!!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Guys,

Get 3 or 4 guys together and I will get you the Johnston Marine pump for $250 USD + shipping.

This is the info on the pump: http://www.taylormarine.com.au/main....tion=Chandlery

I've bought a bunch of these before for some friends, so I get really good pricing on them.

I spoke to my supplier.. He is checking stock because there is a short supply on them.

Apparently, Johnston is in the process of releasing a newer model which uses Magnetic seals or something.. Wont be ready for 6 or 7 months and I dont have pricing on the new model.

Last edited by vrus; 07-24-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vrus
Guys,

Get 3 or 4 guys together and I will get you the Johnston Marine pump for $250 USD + shipping.

This is the info on the pump: http://www.taylormarine.com.au/main....tion=Chandlery

I've bought a bunch of these before for some friends, so I get really good pricing on them.

I spoke to my supplier.. He is checking stock because there is a short supply on them.

Apparently, Johnston is in the process of releasing a newer model which uses Magnetic seals or something.. Wont be ready for 6 or 7 months and I dont have pricing on the new model.
dont you have the klee pump? my johnson replacement pump from aftermarket vendor worked for about 1 month then quit. what is the failure rate of those?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think why these fail too is becasue is says its designed for fresh water ... not sure how it will hold up with anti-freeze coollant...?

One other aspect is its opperating temp - Its opp range is -30deg C to 100deg C... Dunno how hot this coolant gets but think there is a chance it gets to 100 deg c no ?

Here is Johnson Site
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/default.htm

Here is stock bosch pump
http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co...2003/index.htm

No question the johnson shifts more water.... 7200l/h vs the Bosch at ~1800l/h.

The Stewart is rated at 14250l/h and 10,000 hours lifespan.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its the exact same pump the Kleemann and Evosport use in their kits.

My first pump failed on me, but this new one has been running since last Sept I believe when I replaced it.

Originally Posted by M5KILLR
dont you have the klee pump? my johnson replacement pump from aftermarket vendor worked for about 1 month then quit. what is the failure rate of those?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
living in the desert, i have no doubt my coolant temps see 100c on a daily basis. that scares me with the johnson pump. the stewart appears to be a much better pump...but what do i know.

either way, i'm in on a group buy to reduce the price if one can be put together for a pump that isn't going to fail in a short time.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Please advise on the benfetis of the Pump, will it gain more HP on the car? I might be interested in one.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Supplier called me back.. I swear I am not making this up, but, he said there are only 4 left available at the distributor.. LOL..

I guess Johnston is not making anymore of the current ones and are waiting to release the new model..

Everyone who has these pumps in their cars.. If you guys dont have a spare, its going to be hard to find them soon..

Call up your suppliers and see if they have them readily available. That should confirm whether Johnston has stopped producing them.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Renntech Pump on the way

It seems that no tuners (Brabus, Kleemann, Renntech, or Evosport) have addressed the pump issue until now. Klememann and Evosport use the Johnson pumps which was not tuned and tested for our vehicles in my opinion.

Well I spoke with Renntech today and they are currently working on a pump specifically designed for our vehicles. I have the Johnson pump and as soon as the Renntech pump is available I am swapping out. Not sure on the price, but will let everyone know when I find out. Their pump should be available in a month.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 PM

IIRC, the cooling pump is fed from the heat exchanger and pumps to the IC. So it should not see anywhere near 100*C temperatures. If it did, how effective do you think the IC would be? Speaking of which, having a pump with a higher flow rate is not necessarily a good thing. If you pump the cooling fluid too fast, it won't stay in the heat exchangers long enough to be effective. It might even be beneficial to plumb in a variable flow restictor valve and adjust it based on IAT. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Evosport use the Johnson pumps which was not tuned and tested for our vehicles in my opinion.
Well I spoke with Renntech today and they are currently working on a pump specifically designed for our vehicles. I have the Johnson pump and as soon as the Renntech pump is available I am swapping out. Not sure on the price, but will let everyone know when I find out. Their pump should be available in a month.
Why????

Have you read this forum with regard to extra cooling?

Since you claim to have a Johnson pump on your car, what kind of data can you offer to support your opinion?

So in the end it appears to be a Renntech opinion than, not yours?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
IIRC, the cooling pump is fed from the heat exchanger and pumps to the IC. So it should not see anywhere near 100*C temperatures. If it did, how effective do you think the IC would be? Speaking of which, having a pump with a higher flow rate is not necessarily a good thing. If you pump the cooling fluid too fast, it won't stay in the heat exchangers long enough to be effective. It might even be beneficial to plumb in a variable flow restictor valve and adjust it based on IAT. Just a thought.
My Mercedes Tech said the same thing about flow rate. I have the updated stock pump with no problems. A verdict on flow rate would be nice but in this case if the stock is working and the high flow pump offers no improvement, why bother?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Dan,

Keep in mind that 2 completely independent tuners (Kleemann & Evosport -- and those are only the ones we know about) chose to upgrade the pump with the same Johnston marine pump.

They wouldnt have looked to replace the stock one if the flow was sufficient. Both companies saw that on the dyno a stock car would drop at least 30hp from Pull #1 to Pull #3.. There are a couple of people who got a K2 upgrade + pump that were on the dyno doing 6 or 7 back to back pulls with no drop in power.

The Johnston pump has already been proven in my opinion.

That's my $0.02...

Originally Posted by dsc
My Mercedes Tech said the same thing about flow rate. I have the updated stock pump with no problems. A verdict on flow rate would be nice but in this case if the stock is working and the high flow pump offers no improvement, why bother?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 PM

They wouldnt have looked to replace the stock one if the flow was sufficient. Both companies saw that on the dyno a stock car would drop at least 30hp from Pull #1 to Pull #3.. There are a couple of people who got a K2 upgrade + pump that were on the dyno doing 6 or 7 back to back pulls with no drop in power.
Yes, this verifies that the flow of the Bosch pump is inadequate. But the Johnson pump has a considerably higher flow rate than the Bosch unit. If you slow that rate a little, it could potentially send cooler fluid to the IC. So not only would you still have consistency run-to-run, you would have it at a potentially higher HP level. AFAIK, no one has evaluated this. If there is room to install a valve, it would be a relatively simple install that can be evaluated with a data logger.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Interesting.. Very interesting...

Ok.. What part do I look for?? Do you know where I can get it?

I am willing to try the experiment. Anything for more power.

Yes, this verifies that the flow of the Bosch pump is inadequate. But the Johnson pump has a considerably higher flow rate than the Bosch unit. If you slow that rate a little, it could potentially send cooler fluid to the IC. So not only would you still have consistency run-to-run, you would have it at a potentially higher HP level. AFAIK, no one has evaluated this. If there is room to install a valve, it would be a relatively simple install that can be evaluated with a data logger.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:37 PM

I would suggest a simple, manual control, stainless steel ball valve. Something like the Series 10 in this link:

http://www.thevalveshop.com/menu/man.../triacman.html
Old 07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55

While anything is worth a try. You have to remember that the inlet and outlet of the Johnson pump is already being restricted by the size of the hose. It's going from 1 1/2 inches to 1/2 inch 9/16 tops. So the pump is already flowing less than optimal.
Attached Thumbnails Proper Cooling Pump-c0900p5_1.jpg  
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
..... If you slow that rate a little, it could potentially send cooler fluid to the IC. So not only would you still have consistency run-to-run, you would have it at a potentially higher HP level. AFAIK, no one has evaluated this. If there is room to install a valve, it would be a relatively simple install that can be evaluated with a data logger.
Good point. I ran an electric water pump (in a prior car) rated for three times the flow of the stock LT1's...yet still needed a thermostat.

Since the pump is 12VDC, why not adjust flow through a variable-voltage controller?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Since the pump is 12VDC, why not adjust flow through a variable-voltage controller?
You guys seem set on the Johnson - OK. I dont have a Stewart or a Johnson, nor will I get one, but if I had to would get the Stewart.

Sure the fit is awkward but when fitted think it would be better and it seems to be a proven product ... even though it might be a bit bulky.

There is also this design we could work off to integrate the pump in the evosport intercooler mod ....?

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...egory_Code=ICS

I thought the pump had a variable speed controller but the site says its a single speed unit ...

BTW: I think most of the IC issues and pump failures are due to airlocks in the system ... how many cars who have not touched their cooling circuit have had coolling issues? Of those I bet its only pump failure, not a deisgn issue.

There is also this pump which has a variable speed controller , but does not look as rugged as the stewart.
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=47

recent developemnts on this pump ...
http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/dcr/dcr000.html

Then there is this too
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=29300 number 63570 a bit down on the page ....

Cannot see the fitting and there are no specs but looks well made.

Siemens do one too but cannot find any specs ...
http://www.siemensvdo.com/products_s...ic-water-pump/

Last edited by stevebez; 07-25-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
I think most of the IC issues and pump failures are due to airlocks in the system ... how many cars who have not touched their cooling circuit have had coolling issues? Of those I bet its only pump failure, not a deisgn issue.
Stock system is connected to cooling system that is vented to the coolant expansion tank. Any air bobble will travel into the expansion tank.

BTW, the same pump is used by Ford on SVT Lightings and they fail too. It is a quality problem with Bosch electric motor that drives the pump.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Proper Cooling Pump