W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler and engine coolant circuits ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Intercooler and engine coolant circuits ?

Is there any sharing bewteen the intercooler coolant circuit and the engine coolant circuit?

We know there is one radiator so has it got two seperate circuits built in? One for motor and one for intercooler?

Rgds Steve.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Yes, they both share the same expansion tank on the passenger side.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, what a poor design ...

Motor runs at mbe 100degC , so if anything IAT's will be heated by the intercooler when the air hits it, No ?

So the intercooler does not act like an intercooler at all but more like a supercharger cooler - helping to preserve the S/C. Very wierd.

Have to say splitting the circuits as per evo's mod makes the most sense.

Rgds Steve.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Thanks, what a poor design ...

Motor runs at mbe 100degC , so if anything IAT's will be heated by the intercooler when the air hits it, No ?

So the intercooler does not act like an intercooler at all but more like a supercharger cooler - helping to preserve the S/C. Very wierd.

Have to say splitting the circuits as per evo's mod makes the most sense.

Rgds Steve.
stop me if i'm wrong, but isn't the intercooler found after the supercharger in the intake path, not before? Being after, it would not have any cooling affect for the supercharger, but instead cool down the air that was heated by the supercharger before it enters the engine.

there would be no reason to put an intercooler before the compressor, unless the ambient air is hotter than the coolant temps....
Old 05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bringing this thread to life again ... Sorry! But I am a stickler for detail and obviously a little dense.

Does the vehicle radiator have one circuit and 4 connections : 2 in/out for motor and 2 in/out for I/C ? Or is it a shared frame with 2 cores ?

So again if the engine coolant temps are say 95degC, and the IAT after blower is lets say 95degC - it is not providing much cooling is it ? If so the I/C coolant cannot possibly, at any time, be anything below engine opp. temp.

What are typical IAT after the blower / before the I/C ... anyone have any data ? And what is IAT just after the I/C - typically.

vrus - I think you told me the answer before - but please indulge me one more time...

Rgds Steve.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Steve,

The car's radiator is 1 large core with 1 in and 1 out as far as I know. The intercooler circuit is tied into by daisy-chaining the tubes together. The intercooler pump is there to help move the fluid around. If a person didn't want to spend the money to install the full Evo cooling system, I would recommend you at least separate the 2 systems (it's very easy as it involves splicing 1 tube and capping it off), and installing a Johnston pump.

Your thoughts seem correct to me. Since they both share the same fluid, it would make sense that the lowest IAT reading you would see is that of the Engine temperature.

Bringing this thread to life again ... Sorry! But I am a stickler for detail and obviously a little dense.

Does the vehicle radiator have one circuit and 4 connections : 2 in/out for motor and 2 in/out for I/C ? Or is it a shared frame with 2 cores ?

So again if the engine coolant temps are say 95degC, and the IAT after blower is lets say 95degC - it is not providing much cooling is it ? If so the I/C coolant cannot possibly, at any time, be anything below engine opp. temp.

What are typical IAT after the blower / before the I/C ... anyone have any data ? And what is IAT just after the I/C - typically.

vrus - I think you told me the answer before - but please indulge me one more time...

Rgds Steve.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks ... I think I am getting there ... so the OEM I/C fluid flows into/out from a seperate heat exchanger that is daisy chained to the cars radiator?

If so I cannot understand whay MB would daisy chain that system ...? Surely its better even with the stock pump ?

Rgds Steve

Last edited by stevebez; 05-10-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
It flows from the cold side of the radiator to the heat exchanger in front of the car then last but not least the IC under the blower. The main reason behind this method is fluid volume and maintenance.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 2004
Originally Posted by rflow306
It flows from the cold side of the radiator to the heat exchanger in front of the car then last but not least the IC under the blower. The main reason behind this method is fluid volume and maintenance.

Hi, this makes more sense now if it in fact flows this way, I'm removing my front bumper this weekend to analyze and possibly design a system for myself. Does anyone know how many heat exchangers we have on our cars and what each one is for? Also, why will evosoports cooling upgrade include another heat exchanger if the system is seperated as the original one should do the job on its own if its running independant from the engine circiut.

Last edited by Blue Arrow; 05-10-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got it ...

This thread from the past sorts it all out ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ant+circuit%22.

Thanks agn vrus.

Think splitting the circuit without adding an additional heat exchanger will not be good as the water volume will be dramatically reduced. Adding a larger reservoir will help but within the engine bay this reservoir will cook unless you top it up with ice ahead of a track run. For daily road running think a bigger pump & unsplit system is best option. For track the full system is a must.

The more I look at it the better this Evosport design looks...

Evosport rotors, cooling package and headers ... think thats the answer for me.

Rgds Steve.

Last edited by stevebez; 05-10-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM

05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
Something does not add up....

Maybe my '05 is different from what is being discussed here, but one simple check will show that this thread got it all wrong:
The coolant supply and return lines are very easily accessible, namly on the left side of the block (standing in front loocking at the engine) they are 2 aluminium tubes. Even after driving for a long time, they only get warm to the touch (from the overall heat in the engine compartment) but never as hot as the engine coolant lines, those I cant touch. After spirited driving with obvious S/C engagement, the I/C cooler tubes get hot....as does the I/C radiator in front.
My take is, the 2 systems are linked to share the anti-freeze, but have no common circulation, hence the hot coolant will not heat the intake air. Everything else does not make any engineering sense whatsoever.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:32 PM

05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
form the AMG lounge...

5.5-liter V8 Kompressor: Overview
[]Both cooling systems - the one for the charge air and the one for the 5.5-liter V8 Kompressor engine - work completely inedependent from each other[]
Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Both cooling systems - the one for the charge air and the one for the 5.5-liter V8 Kompressor engine - work completely inedependent from each other[]
Sorry, but that is incorrect. There is an H-fitting that interconnects both engine cooling system and intercooler cooling system it hidden by the lower passenger side near cooling fan.

This is how intercooler gets filled. This is one connection that gets plugged up during Evosport cooling upgrade.

Last edited by Vadim @ FD; 06-26-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The intercooler (technically it's a charge cooler, not an intercooler) has its own radiator for the coolant in its circuit. Coolant is pumped through that heat exchanger and then to the charge cooler. Don't confuse the two heat exchangers. It's an air-to-liquid-to-air system. Ambient air cools the coolant, which then cools the charge. If that extra radiator didn't exist, the coolant at the charge cooler would approach engine temperature. That's why failure of the intercooler pump shuts you down so quickly.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mbe instead of measuring IAT's we should tap into this I/C coolant and check what temps it runs to when entering the I/C ...?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Got it ...

This thread from the past sorts it all out ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ant+circuit%22.

Thanks agn vrus.

Think splitting the circuit without adding an additional heat exchanger will not be good as the water volume will be dramatically reduced. Adding a larger reservoir will help but within the engine bay this reservoir will cook unless you top it up with ice ahead of a track run. For daily road running think a bigger pump & unsplit system is best option. For track the full system is a must.

The more I look at it the better this Evosport design looks...

Evosport rotors, cooling package and headers ... think thats the answer for me.

Rgds Steve.
Make sure those header will fit Right hand drive car....I know Kleemann UK modifies left hand drive header to fit right hand drive 55k motors...
Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Unless MB made this change on the 2006 cars, that information is incorrect (as Vadim already stated). The intercooler circuit and engine coolant circuit are DEFINITELY SHARED.

I personally did the install of my cooling system upgrade and split the 2 circuits.

Originally Posted by CA_E55
5.5-liter V8 Kompressor: Overview
[]Both cooling systems - the one for the charge air and the one for the 5.5-liter V8 Kompressor engine - work completely inedependent from each other[]