W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Sway Bar diameter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 07:31 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Sway Bar diameter

Having driven the CLS55 at the limits I noticed one overriding difference from the E55, sway bars are significantly stiffer in the CLS.

Has anyone checked to see what the diameter of the CLS sway bars are? Will they fit the E55? I think that this might help the understeer inherent to the E55.

Do any of the aftermarket manufactures make performance sway bars yet?
Old 01-21-2006 | 07:46 PM
ON PROBATION

Even if you had actually checked the diameter of the swaybars, I think that you are falsely attributing the entirely differently designed, engineered, and constructed suspension of the CLS55 (to that of the E55) to a difference in swaybar thickness or stiffnesss....

The swaybars may or may not be thicker or stiffer on the CLS55 to those on the E55 -- but the differences in their respective suspensions go far beyond that.....

I am personally hoping that MBZ may offer some re-eingineering in the E55's suspension in an upcoming performance package....
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:12 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Even if you had actually checked the diameter of the swaybars, I think that you are falsely attributing the entirely differently designed, engineered, and constructed suspension of the CLS55 (to that of the E55) to a difference in swaybar thickness or stiffnesss....

The swaybars may or may not be thicker or stiffer on the CLS55 to those on the E55 -- but the differences in their respective suspensions go far beyond that.....

I am personally hoping that MBZ may offer some re-eingineering in the E55's suspension in an upcoming performance package....
I'm not sure that they are not all that different. They have almost identical parts. Granted, spring rates (software changes) may be a bit different according to Tommy Kendall (and my driving instructor from MB) assured me that they were very similar. Actually Kendall felt like it was easier to go fast around a circuit with the E55 than the CLS55 because of better balance.
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:51 PM
Vadim-SoCal

There are no steel springs on E55 and CLS55. Airbags in all four corners with front only sway bar. Same size on both.
Old 01-21-2006 | 09:01 PM
ON PROBATION

My understanding is that the suspension on the CLS was a redeisgn, and that the use of different control arms and calibration in the ABC and Airmatic where just a few of the differences....
I am sure someone knows the whole list of changes/differences better than I do....
Old 01-21-2006 | 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
My understanding is that the suspension on the CLS was a redeisgn, and that the use of different control arms and calibration in the ABC and Airmatic where just a few of the differences....
I am sure someone knows the whole list of changes/differences better than I do....
For starters the CLS body is 40% stiffer on torsional strain.
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i agree...

the body of the CLS55 is alot stiffer and hence it has less flex around turns, making feel more stable.

Wider rear tires will also help keep more grip than the E55.

they are identical mechanically, but there are different in design.

I would love to own a CLS55, but I will start with an 04/05 E55 first.
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:31 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
E55s don't have ABC and I don't think CLS does either.

What I meant by "change in spring rates" is changes in software controlling the airbags themselves. Sorry for the confusion, I realize that the E55 has no conventional springs (unfortunately).
Old 01-22-2006 | 01:33 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Vadim-SoCal
There are no steel springs on E55 and CLS55. Airbags in all four corners with front only sway bar. Same size on both.
I'm pretty sure there is a rear sway bar. at least it looks like one to me.