W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.

Well, after finding out that the install that Custom Car Stereo did was horrid (they cut out the back deck... Steve/MbenzNL saw it first hand), I had the car returned to stock. It cost a fortune and required significant disassembly, but I couldn't take the creaks and rattles coming from the back of the car after their butchery. It isn't worth the time and effort of going to court, so I haven't pursued it.

Still, I wasn't happy with the stock stereo. I knew I could do better. I simply lacked a good installer who would install something that sounded great without hacking the car to pieces. Well... I found him, AND didn't have to drive 300 miles, he's local! I'm pretty happy, I think the work is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1110-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1114-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1113-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1115-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1117-medium-.jpg  

Old 03-10-2006, 04:54 PM

I also swapped the 2 pc AMG wheels for the SL65 wheels. I think the difference, though small, looks incredible.
Attached Thumbnails The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1105-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1104-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1109-medium-.jpg   The insanity install. Or, fixing Custom Car Stereo of Houston's screwups.-dscn1118-medium-2-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5, R1
Simply awesome
Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Looks like some sweet custom work! You should enter it in a show. Sorry to hear about your misadventure in mobile audio. I had an install nightmare 5 years ago that still makes my blood boil when I think about it.
Audison makes some real good amps too, nice choice.

Last edited by Torquey55; 03-10-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I'm not normally impressed with, or like, custom audio installations but yours is very, very, nice .
Old 03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Very nice work!!

The trunk is a work of art.

Sort of off topic... what are the specs on the rims? size, width, weight, offset, cost, and source?

sorry for the ignorance, but they don't look subtle to me. they look pretty nice. I love the color and I was considering either the HRE C21s or the CLS55 ones, but now the SL65 ones are also an option.

p.s. just in case they are what is making the look, what size tires??
Old 03-10-2006, 08:35 PM

looks very profressionally done, who was the guy that did it?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JESUS CHRIST!! That is the MOST BEAUTIFUL system insatall Ive ever seen on an E class. Such a good use of space and DAMN is it clean. Please please please tell us where you had this done. (Please say LA, Please say LA)
Old 03-11-2006, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Wow!! That is simply awesome work!!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
the rear deck lid spoiler should be kept to only the trunk area, those side pieces that are on the top of the rear side panels ruin the look, just something to think about
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by blazinginder
the rear deck lid spoiler should be kept to only the trunk area, those side pieces that are on the top of the rear side panels ruin the look, just something to think about

HEY!!! I take insult to that. I've got the MB 3 piece one, hehe
Old 03-12-2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Tell it to Mercedes, that's the AMG spoiler!!! I like the three piece, I think it blends into the shape of the car better than a simple decklid spoiler would. Different strokes and all that.

As for the tire size, the fronts are 245/35-19 and the rears are 275/30-19. Different tires WILL achieve different looks. These are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (in South Texas?? Don't ask... my tire guy screwed up the order but I got these at a massive discount as a result so I didn't argue). The original 2 piece wheels I put on when I got the car (should have pictures on the pic thread) had Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s. The look was quite different although size was the same. The Michelins look much larger and meatier whereas the Bridgestones had more of that 'rubber band wrapped around a wheel' look to them. It's not as apparent in the pictures.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Oh, and no, the guy isn't in LA although he could be. He's in Corpus Christi Texas. I can't believe I found an installer that good down here in mid-nowhere but I'm not complaining!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 PM

w211 E55
Originally Posted by kaneman
Tell it to Mercedes, that's the AMG spoiler!!! I like the three piece, I think it blends into the shape of the car better than a simple decklid spoiler would. Different strokes and all that.

As for the tire size, the fronts are 245/35-19 and the rears are 275/30-19. Different tires WILL achieve different looks. These are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (in South Texas?? Don't ask... my tire guy screwed up the order but I got these at a massive discount as a result so I didn't argue). The original 2 piece wheels I put on when I got the car (should have pictures on the pic thread) had Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s. The look was quite different although size was the same. The Michelins look much larger and meatier whereas the Bridgestones had more of that 'rubber band wrapped around a wheel' look to them. It's not as apparent in the pictures.
Very clean install, top notch! Off topic but what are the rim sizes for the sl65 wheels you have? They look great! Any spacers? Rubbing, offset issues etc...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:15 PM

2011 S550
great install

where in corpus? send me the phone number please.
thx

roy

i have the same wheels and love them
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by laj_e55
great install

where in corpus? send me the phone number please.
thx

roy

i have the same wheels and love them
The installer's name is Louis Gonzales. You can email him at installer11263 at yahoo.com. Here is his website with other cars he's built. He's done more than those but these are the ones he's documented. You can see how the Benz came together and also what it looks like when you've had the battery out of the car for a month and the air suspension is ALL the way down. Now that is SLAMMED.

Last edited by kaneman; 03-12-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The stock system in the E55 wasn't all that bad. How is the sound? Did the installer move (reposition) the speakers at all for better clarity?

~Ian
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by IanSL55
The stock system in the E55 wasn't all that bad. How is the sound? Did the installer move (reposition) the speakers at all for better clarity?

~Ian
No, we kept the locations the same although he was able to aim the tweeters for better imaging. I wasn't willing to compromise on the cosmetics. The upgrade in speaker components, amplification and EQing made a huge difference on it's own. No, the stock E system wasn't bad. It certainly beats anything I've ever heard out of Bose. It's just not great and while I have a lot of tuning to do (I'm very very particular about sound) it's already leaps and bounds above what was before.

Vocals and mids are much more immediate, the highs have a crystalline quality that wasn't there before and bass, quite obviously, is transformed. It's awesome to finally get proper 'seat of the pants' sensation when listening to pipe organ works and electronica. Kick drum also has a much more tactile "snap". The entire system, from top to bottom, does a much better job with transients. It's actually *less* boomy than before, but goes very very very deep. The subs have a big part in that. They're not a very well known brand (Adire Audio) but are some of the highest quality I've ever heard. Very musical (of course the enclosure plays a huge part in that as well). Works great for watching DVD's too, I only wish the stock MB unit had proper 5.1 Dolby decoding!!

Last edited by kaneman; 03-13-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Kaneman...How was the integration of the JL CleanSweep unit? From the literature it is supposed to allow the use of the stock system while upgrading the amps, speakers, and the addition of other source units. How do you find it working out in your system?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
looks awesome!~!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by AMGfan
Kaneman...How was the integration of the JL CleanSweep unit? From the literature it is supposed to allow the use of the stock system while upgrading the amps, speakers, and the addition of other source units. How do you find it working out in your system?
Works great, with a caveat!! You A.) need to use the external cleansweep control for volume and B.) have to find a gain setting on the head unit and keep it there. The MB headunit has loudness and the EQing changes as you turn the volume up and down. Thus, if you change the volume, you change the response and the Cleansweep is no longer doing it's job. So you have to remember what the volume setting was and keep it there. I start off at maximum volume and back off 25 clicks. Not the easiest but it works.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by kaneman
Works great, with a caveat!! You A.) need to use the external cleansweep control for volume and B.) have to find a gain setting on the head unit and keep it there. The MB headunit has loudness and the EQing changes as you turn the volume up and down. Thus, if you change the volume, you change the response and the Cleansweep is no longer doing it's job. So you have to remember what the volume setting was and keep it there. I start off at maximum volume and back off 25 clicks. Not the easiest but it works.
Thanks for the info!!! System looks great!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM

e55 & sl65
Very Nice!!!

Just had the same type of setup done to my 55!! it ROCKS BIG TIME!!!!! The L.A. connection for the RIGHT JOB is Audio Concepts 805-526-8558 Ask for Link. Also as afr as the clean sweep deal there is one additional component that makes it work flawlessly all through the head unit. This is my first post and its ony cause its worth it!!! Call Link the job is flawless and ROCKS!!