Paging: Alcantera Headliner People

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Paging: Alcantera Headliner People

I am in the process of replacing my grey wool headliner, pillars, and everything else that is wrapped in that fabric with a black alcantera. The shop is also covering the rear decklid below the rear window.

There are alot of pieces in my car which are a light grey plastic. What I am wondering is those of you who have alcantera headliners, what colour is the plastic trim around the rear view mirror, grab handles on the roof, light fixtures on the roof, etc, etc..

Can someone please take a picture of their alcantera headliner and post for me.. I am not sure if I should get the shop to dye the grey plastic black or if I should leave it alone.. I would love to see what they do from the factory.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by vrus
I am in the process of replacing my grey wool headliner, pillars, and everything else that is wrapped in that fabric with a black alcantera. The shop is also covering the rear decklid below the rear window.

There are alot of pieces in my car which are a light grey plastic. What I am wondering is those of you who have alcantera headliners, what colour is the plastic trim around the rear view mirror, grab handles on the roof, light fixtures on the roof, etc, etc..

Can someone please take a picture of their alcantera headliner and post for me.. I am not sure if I should get the shop to dye the grey plastic black or if I should leave it alone.. I would love to see what they do from the factory.

Thanks in advance!
.......I just completed this project. The rear view mirror etc were stained black to match the color of the allacantra. The grab handles were covered in black allacantra. Tell your shop to do this. If they know what they are doing, this will not be a problem. Looks factory.

Ted
Old 04-07-2006, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I have charcoal interior in my E and a light gray alcantara. The pieces around the mirror and edges are gray plastic. This is the only picture I have of my interior right now. I can snap a pic of something if you need it today.

Did they offer a black headliner option? I thought they were all gray.

Also, I thought all E55s had alcantara headliners. Did they start in 04?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by WayneE
I have charcoal interior in my E and a light gray alcantara. The pieces around the mirror and edges are gray plastic. This is the only picture I have of my interior right now. I can snap a pic of something if you need it today.

Did they offer a black headliner option? I thought they were all gray.

Also, I thought all E55s had alcantara headliners. Did they start in 04?

............custom job.

Ted
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............custom job.

Ted

I understand yours is a custom job, but I wondered about the factory color options. Also, he said he has a wool headliner right now. I thought all E55s had alcantara from the factory.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 911 C4S
I understand yours is a custom job, but I wondered about the factory color options. Also, he said he has a wool headliner right now. I thought all E55s had alcantara from the factory.
Canadian spec cars might be different.

FYI, my car also has the grey Alcantara headliner and grey plastic trim pieces. I'm contemplating doing this mod, but it would probably not be done here in MA coz I don't trust anyone here. Heard rumors that CLS have black headliner though.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Here you go. The grey came out a little blue tinged but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Paging: Alcantera Headliner People-_mg_5261-medium-.jpg   Paging: Alcantera Headliner People-_mg_5267-medium-.jpg   Paging: Alcantera Headliner People-_mg_5269-medium-.jpg   Paging: Alcantera Headliner People-_mg_5270-medium-.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2006, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

.............I was answering his original question which deals with what can be done about his trim pieces that are a different color from the black alcantra he plans to use. Wanted to say that I have actually done this and trim pieces can be stained black to match the the black alcantra. I am a bit concerned because any reputable car restoration shop will know this. So I am hoping whoever does his, knows what they are doing.

...........I do not know about the factory trim on the W211 in 04. Mine is a W210.

Ted
Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Any pictures of yours, Ted? I wish mine was black, I always cringe when people get in my car and touch the light color alcantara.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Any pictures of yours, Ted? I wish mine was black, I always cringe when people get in my car and touch the light color alcantara.

..............I just finished doing a bunch of stuff to the cae. I'm now getting pics together. I will post them this weekend.

Ted
Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks to everyone that replied!! And thanks a million for the pictures!!

This is a custom job that I am having done.. It's quite expensive compared to what it would have cost me from the factory, but this is the only way I can get it done the way I like it.

The shop is in fact covering the grab handles in black alcantera also. They also suggested to me that they were going to dye the grey plastic pieces in the car all black to match the alcantera.

The reason I asked for pictures is because I wasnt sure if there was a black factory option for alcantera and also if there were black factory plastic pieces to replace the grey ones I already have.

Now that I know I cant get black pieces from the factory I will let them continue to do the dye method.

BTW, the alcantera headliner option was only available in 2005 Canadian spec cars. I've hated the light grey wool since day one. It's not just the colour, I also don't like the texture of wool. I've been planning this alcantera mod for a while, but as some of you know, I've been too busy trying to make more horsepower..

I'll post pics of the car's new exterior and interior as soon as I am done.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
I was under the same impression that all AMG's had the alcantra headliner but when I was looking to replace my wife's car we looked at an '06 CL55 and it did not have the alcantra headliner. There was also an '06 CL65 at the dealer and it did have the alcantra headliner.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by vrus
This is a custom job that I am having done.. It's quite expensive compared to what it would have cost me from the factory, but this is the only way I can get it done the way I like it.
Can you give us a idea as to how much this is going to cost ?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Can you give us a idea as to how much this is going to cost ?
I won't know until it's done. I didn't ask for a quote. I just gave them a mandate to get the material and do the work. I just know custom work is always alot more expensive than getting something from the factory so I am prepared for it.