Sponsored by:

My 2003 E55 review!!!!!! Must Read!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2003 E55 review!!!!!! Must Read!!!!

Hi everyone…. Since the day the new w211’s were released and I had a chance to do a 5 minute test drive. I feel in love with this car!!!!! After two years of saving my pennies I bought a 03’ with 20500 miles on it. After 1500 miles put on the car here is my PERSONAL review so far: Keep in mind this is off personal experience so far.

Pros:
1. Massive power and speed.
2. Looks just as good as the first day I saw it.

Cons:
1. Supercharger Chirp that can not be fixed not matter what the dealership does
2. Acceleration jerk due to Supercharge Chirp(kinda goes hand n hand)
3. Brakes will squeak for days(dealer of course states normal)
4. Exhaust system now seems to be making blowing noises from 40-50mphs and also 70-80mphs(taking into the shop to have this checked out tomorrow) almost sounds like a leak in the exhaust system, but I could definitely be wrong
5. Car can not be aligned(dealer states tire could be cause of a radial pull) I have new tires ready to be put on the car…. Took everyone’s advice and ordered some PS2 hopefully cures that issue from what I hear of all E55 owners.
6. Dealer can’t straighten out my steering wheel could be because of this whole radial pull issue. I will give more details once back from the shop.
7. After 2nd time trying to fix the chirp the power of the car is gone. Feels like a 8 cylinder car but no supercharger to be found.
8. 4 weeks of being a new owner, tomorrow will be 3rd time sent to service… 3rd attempt for trying to see if anything will help the chirp/jerking issue I have given up on the brakes even though dealers state they look perfectly fine 1st time for this exhaust noise which I’m clueless to what the he… it is.. Not even sure where to start with the power loss, unless you drive the car everyday it’s almost impossible to have the techs understand what I’m talking about. it is 3rd try for alignment with now new tires and again hopefully this cure all pulls and puts steering where it should belong. I’m tired of pulling the steering to the left to go straight.

I know what you are all thinking, this guy cries more than a baby…… And you are all correct for the past 2 ˝ I have put this car on the top of the food chain. I have had night and day arguments with friends and family stating this is the only car that should be driven. “DREAM CAR” status and I unfortunately have encountered nothing but problems. I hear all the wonderful comments about this car, and is one of the best vehicles to drive on a daily basis and I desperately want to be someone to make that next post agreeing with everyone. My last vehicle was a 2000 E320 and I had my fair share of issues but going to the AMG family you kinda of expect a little bit less shop time. With the 4 weeks that I have owned the car I can honestly count 2 days where I have had a smile on my face after driving it. First day off the lot and 1st day back when dealers corrected the chirp for a week.

I hear from other E55 owners that I should shut up and enjoy the beast! With the amount of money I spent on the car which is like a down payment on a house in most states you figure it would make you happy driving the car on a daily basis. I still have TONS of hope but as of right now I would not let anyone drive my car because I don’t feel it drives up the AMG E55 name just yet.

My ranking for the current 4 weeks of being its new owner a 6.5 out 10. SORRY just being honest and believe me I’ve been addicted to this car for years. I want the car to live up to all the wonderful comments.

PLEASE LEAVE YOU FEEDBACKS.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Too bad...you'll get through and enjoy...None of FAST car are trouble free...
Old 04-07-2006, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Sorry to hear about all of your problems, but my suggestion would be to find a new dealer. Also, you bought a used car. The problems such as alignment/tire problem, supercharger chirp, exhaust noise and squeaking brakes should have been evident during the test drive.

That said, if you were familliar with this forum, you should have known the issues with E55 (and other 55k motors). Most people have the supercharger chirp. I had an SLK32 with the chirp. I don't have it on my E55 yet, but I suspect it will come with time My brakes squeal, too. No biggie, it's difficult to make a high performance disk brake setup that doesn't squeal. A different pad compound would probably help, but it doesn't bother me.

Good luck with the car... but it sounds like you need a better dealer.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Sorry about your issues but as mentioned before, you bought a used car. Unless you knew the previous owner you could not determine how the car was driven or broken in. The only issue I have (which is not one to me) that mirrors what you have is the chirp. This is something discussed over and over again and it seems that the chirping doesnt go away. I dont mind it. Again I feel for you and the issues at hand, it does suck to spend all that money and then have to do even more to get the car that you have always wanted.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
just sell it bro, and get another one...

prices are so low 04, that you probably be better off getting a newer model.

if you made a down payment on the car, you will loose some of the funds, but you will be free of a lemon.

I echo the statement that super sedans are not trouble free.. after all you are pushing 470hp and 500 torque on a sedan

just ask the M5 owners about their new E60. It comes with the territory.

MB will never have the reliability of Lexus or Honda.. those days are over. However they are going through a re-structuring plan to improve quality.

Brake Squeals: Use a brake cleaner spray every other day, and you will notice some releaf.

Kompressor chirp: I have it too, its not that bad. I simply turn up the radio and drive the car hard.

exhaust problems: take it to a local mufller shop and have it inspected. if they find a leak they will fix for under $50 bucks.

If you feel you have powerloss, simply schedule a dyno and you will "proof" if that is the case.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Why would you buy an '03?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jangy
Why would you buy an '03?
Because you can get them cheap. I know you can get 06's for invoice or below but its still an 86-88k car and auction prices on 03's are super low. Just in the last 2 weeks two cars at Maheim sold for 53k (2003's) with 30k miles. It's all relative to the money you have.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi Everyone, THANK YOU all for your comments. I really felt like I needed to let all that out of my system.

So this is the newest update after my test ride with the “lead tech” (20yrs of experience) so with this chirp issue I have thrown in the white flag and agree with everyone else that it can’t be fixed. The tech did his best job to tell me in the best way! I will definitely do my best to adjust to it, I guess!!!

Now for the exhaust blowing noise I did get it happen while driving but he told it sounds normal and its how AMG exhaust or built for that over the time of the car. Honestly BS to me but I asked him to take a look closer and give me a better answer than it’s normal.

I will keep you updated to see if the PS2 are going to be cure of all evils, they are putting them on today with a new alignment done.. So we’ll just have to wait… A lot of members have put these tires above the best so I THANK YOU in advance if helps out the problems.

And I do understand that the car is “USED” but it’s a certified car from the MB dealership if that justifies anything. Carfaxed and everything with all services up to date. Believe me if during the test drive and any of these ISSUES came up it would have been very easy to walk away from my decision. But unfortunately these problems after buying the car.

On a side note: ATTN VIC I saw your post on your exhaust and I have to tell you I totally agree with the member that stated if you were to pull up next to me I wouldn’t even look over…. The car sounds great and I’m sure you lay out the farmhand to most vehicles out there…. The only thing louder in my car than yours is probably my supercharger chirp which at this point is just funny to me….

And I have thought about it trading in my car for a 04’ or 05’ but being somewhat familiar with forum some of these problems can happen to any of the years. So why go through the trouble of looking for another year but at the same could encounter the same issues down the line. I’m crossing my fingers this time around with the service that I can post something really positive for all members to hear… I will keep everyone posted.

P.S. I’ve tried two dealerships around my area so it all seems like the answers stay consistent... “its normal”
Old 04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL... "normal" is the easy answer.... it's the same as "I don't know"

Well, good that you only had few problems... none is that concerning except the radial pull (I had this w/ my car before also and it was not due to tire - if I remember correctly, some ball bearings were defective thus gave more restriction to one side).

CPO certainly helps, IMO, as MBUSA wouldn't want to CPO cars w/ a lot of past warranty work.

But if I may suggest... in the future, try not to get 1st year car (new or used). I know I know... only few out of a thousand owners have problems... but heck, I went through hell declaring my car as "lemon" ('03 E55 - you now see why I said that ). If I were to get one, I would now only consider used, clean, low mileage, CPO 2005+ E55. I heard very few '05+ owners have issues.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by vuquach
Now for the exhaust blowing noise I did get it happen while driving but he told it sounds normal and its how AMG exhaust or built for that over the time of the car. Honestly BS to me but I asked him to take a look closer and give me a better answer than it’s normal.

I didn't understand what you meant when you posted this, but I think you're hearing exhaust drone. The exhaust in my E55 drones at around 70mph. If that's what you're hearing, it is normal and just part of owning a high performance sedan. You're going to hear it a little more

Hopefully they'll get the alignment squared away, the brakes a little quieter and you'll be back to enjoying your E55.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for everyone's input and keeping me in high spirits. Don't get me wrong the E55 is still my main love... I just want it to drive that way! I will post another review once they slap on the new tires and see what they come up with the power decrease.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by vuquach
Thanks for everyone's input and keeping me in high spirits. Don't get me wrong the E55 is still my main love... I just want it to drive that way! I will post another review once they slap on the new tires and see what they come up with the power decrease.
I would take the 03 in, trade it in for the 06 and take advantage of the attractive lease that MB is offering. You will be very happy with it. I am completely against buying used car(s), you dont know where the car(s) been, how the previous owner(s) broke the car(s) in, CPO doenst mean much!

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to MBWorld.org
Update your profile first of all

If you can find a performance shop near you, I'd try to get their input as well. I've found that sometimes they tend to know just a tad bit more than the dealer which sells everything to everyone. It's always worth a shot.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by WayneE
I didn't understand what you meant when you posted this, but I think you're hearing exhaust drone. The exhaust in my E55 drones at around 70mph. If that's what you're hearing, it is normal and just part of owning a high performance sedan. You're going to hear it a little more

Hopefully they'll get the alignment squared away, the brakes a little quieter and you'll be back to enjoying your E55.

Good luck!
My '06 with 750 miles also drones, the worst speed is also around 70 mph. What's even more weird, is my '02 never had any trace of this until the blower, then it also droned, but closer to 65 mph. At least it didn't stumble, even with a HPS blower.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You never know who broke your new car in, or how they were with it.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast55
My '06 with 750 miles also drones, the worst speed is also around 70 mph.
Is this droaning intrusive and or annoying in anyway?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
I'm the only one to have "broken it in". The droning isn't bad, but it is noticeable. The W210 never had that until the SC was installed. I know they are so completely different cars that this doesn't mean much, it's just wierd that the new one does it at about the same speed. I test drove a '04 a few months ago that did the same thing, so I'm guessing it's common to the W211 55's. I thrashed MB on the survey I just got because of my 2 problems. Overall though, a killer ride. Vuquach, I think you'll find the tires are a big help, and the droning can be fixed by changing the exhaust. Even just deleting the resonator will probably change the frequency and/or RPM you hear it. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Fast55...

Hmmmm.. 750 miles and your car does the same thing. I still not too sure if that’s the exact issue of the exhaust droning. Again it just started about a week ago and starts making hollow stutter noise that goes in and out from 40-50 and then again from 70-80...

I have to be completely honest with all E55 w211 owners, i guess to have a car punch this much power there’s a whole lot of "funky" issues that i have to bite my teeth and live with... (chirps, brakes, droning, etc) but it looks like in the end most owners will still jump in the monster and let it rip!
Old 04-08-2006, 06:03 PM

03 E55
None of your problems sound '03-only-related. If you were having SBC or electrical issues those are sometimes attributed to "early" cars, and could be updated at the dealer....a newer model E55 won't necessarily have less issues is my point.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Vuquach, Sorry to hear about all of your issues.

Fortunately, I cannot relate to any of your problems.

I have had zero issues with my 2005 E55. It drives like a charm, makes no unusual noises and goes like stink x 10 when I need it to.

I hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by RJC
Is this droaning intrusive and or annoying in anyway?

I don't think it's a problem. Add or subtract a couple MPH to/from your speed and it goes away. Even if you drive at 70, it's not loud enough to annoy.

I drove my car from DC to Boston and back in Nov. It was a great trip, the car is very comfortable and quiet for a long trip.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM

2006 E55 Black
There is at least one great E55 out there!

Just for the record, I have about 4,000 miles on my 2006 E55, and it's absolutely perfect! I have not had a single problem of any kind. It's loud in a good way when I mash the throttle, very fast at the drag races, great handling, and all the electronics work great. My S/C never cuts out, never chirps, and just works. I have never heard any sort of drone or weird exhaust resonance at any speed, and I've cruised for long periods everywhere between 30 and 90 on the highway. It's a flawless jewel and I couldn't be happier.

I'm just lucky I guess!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
Originally Posted by KenE55
Just for the record, I have about 4,000 miles on my 2006 E55, and it's absolutely perfect! I have not had a single problem of any kind. It's loud in a good way when I mash the throttle, very fast at the drag races, great handling, and all the electronics work great. My S/C never cuts out, never chirps, and just works. I have never heard any sort of drone or weird exhaust resonance at any speed, and I've cruised for long periods everywhere between 30 and 90 on the highway. It's a flawless jewel and I couldn't be happier.

I'm just lucky I guess!
I second that. I have an 06 E55 with 5000 miles on it and none of the above issues. Although I am not quite sure what the "chirp" is so may be I have it and just haven't noticed it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi everyone,

I had a chance to speak with my service advisor today. He stated they are ordering an updated supercharger clutch pack which should either help or cure the "chirp".... Any owners familiar with this part and what would this actually help. THANK YOU!!!!!!