RennTech Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
RennTech Warranty

Does anyone know if Renntech's work is under warranty from MB? I ask because i noticed that my MB dealer is also in a list of "certified RENNtech installation facilities." I found that info in the Renntech website: http://renntechmercedes.com/Dealer_Locations.html

So does anyone know if our cars can be modfied, but still remain under warranty? I called the contact person on the website, but he wasn't there so i left him a message, in the meantime i'm asking here in case someone can give me an answer.

thx
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Wow, 25 people have read this & no one knows the answer.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:16 PM

2003 C32
the short answer is no. mod at your own risk.
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/PDF/Warranty.pdf
Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Actually, the answer is yes, provided of course that the authorized installer is also a MB dealer. So far, I haven't heard of anyone that has had a problem following this.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Actually the answer is still no. Renntech and their MB dealers are responsible for Renntech parts and labor as their warranty implies.

How do you expect Mercedes USA to warranty parts they don't sell or make?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by MiamiE55
Wow, 25 people have read this & no one knows the answer.
no, its pretty much been addressed so many times... I'm guessing most people will assume you'll do a search and find the answer... search for modified and warranty and you'll come up with more info than you could want.

I posted a thread about it too:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ified+warranty

Loren
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Renntech team is visiting the Bay Area soon. So i am hoping all Calif Mbworld Members have the time to visit them and ask them as many questions you want regarding their products. So i will keep you guys posted!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by Fast55
Actually, the answer is yes, provided of course that the authorized installer is also a MB dealer. So far, I haven't heard of anyone that has had a problem following this.
Have you actually read RENNtech's warranty?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by ima55r2
Actually the answer is still no. Renntech and their MB dealers are responsible for Renntech parts and labor as their warranty implies.

How do you expect Mercedes USA to warranty parts they don't sell or make?
Obviously the question is whether or not you are cover by the factory warranty if you have, say, an engine failure in your Renntech modified MB, not if MB covers Renntech or other mfgs. parts. The answer is still yes if the MB dealer did the work. I know of this happening and it was, in fact, covered through MB. I wouldn't be the one to continually test the relationship between MB, Renntech, and said dealer however. In this instance, the problem was identifiable and not the fault of the Renntech mods. More than anything, it's still a question of what caused the problem. If it was definitely a case of failure due to modifications, I suspect the outcome might have been different, but unless an MB dealer gets your signature on paper saying you know your factory warranty is void due to their modifying your car, they own the problem. I doubt they would consider doing battle over a 40K motor swap without that.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Fast55

I just ran into a problem with this. I was looking a at a 14' C63 with 25k miles on it that had a RennTech stage 1. The car is being sold by a dealer and they informed me that they would not certify it and that because it had "performance mods" done to it that voided the factory warranty. This is a hard pill to swallow on a $43,000 car.

I wonder if you purchased an aftermarket warranty if it would cover it ?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63S
I just bought a 2014 E63S with 13,000 miles, Renntech chipped to 701 hp by the dealer with full certified status.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
The dealer doesn't control what's covered by MBUSA if the engine blows due to the tune the liability would be with the dealer that sold you it certified with modified engine software. Chances are the dealer would sweep it under the rug, but there is no way mbusa allows this and you won't find it in writing anywhere.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes CLS550 4Matic, 2014 ML550 Diamond White, 2015 SL550 Diamond White
Mercedes Factory and CPO Warranty Void with Any Tune

I have considered getting a Renntech or Kleeman Tune (as it is $1500 versus $2800 from Renntech and also a very reputable company). However, you are absolutely right. The Renntech Tune or Kleeman Tune (or any other) will absolutely void your original or CPO warranty. If you ask Renntech or Kleeman, they should tell you that it will void the warranty. They arent being truthful if they dont.
The link below is a good article an attorney wrote about how modifying your car voids the vehicle warranty:
http://www.newyorklemonlawlawyer.com...modifications/

Of course there is the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which states that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty if the modification did not cause the failure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

But a tune increases horsepower and torque and therefore puts greater stress on the engine, transimission and driveline, and even accessories if maximum rpm is increased. So if anything affected by the increased hp / torq from the tune fails, the manufacturer can and will deny warranty coverage.

By the way the M278 Mercedes Biturbo uses the 7G tronic transmission which has a maximum torque capacity of 700 Nm or 516 lb ft. This is not by coincidence the maximum torque output of the M278 engine in an S Class.
The transmission's first gear has a maximum torque input from the engine of 516 lb ft. Because of its high torque multiplication from gearing, the first gear clutches would slip if the engine input torque were higher. Just a design limit of the transmission.
Other gears can handle more engine input torque because of lower torque multiplication from lower gear ratio.
Therefore tuners cannot exceed the maximum torque the transmission can handle in first gear (516 lb ft) and thus a great deal of acceleration performance gain is left off the table as WOT in first gear takes these Mercedes to approx 40 mph.
(Dont know if tuners are maximizing torque curve in 1st gear up to 516 lb ft, which would increase performance times in 1st gear).
So 0 to 60 times are not really all they can be with claimed 540 hp and 700 lb ft Renntech (and similarly Kleeman) tunes. And of course quarter mile times suffer also because of inability to maximize engine torque in 1st gear.
That is why some owners may be disappointed with their before and after tune acceleration performance increases.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...edes-trani.PDF