W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
That's great Isaac!!! I had a good chuckle with the WRX story... So glad you like it.. The install time is a little on the high side, but, the tech might not have had too much experience pulling the S/C.. Typically it's a 4 - 5hr job.. The most important thing is that they did it without any issues and you've got a very healthy car!!!

So.. Did I steer you wrong in ditching the ported one you had before???

Originally Posted by e55 baller
I had MBenz install my 80mm TB, it took them about 7 hrs as they removed the S/C. I picked up the car on a very warm day -- 80F and my intake temps were like 120F in traffic. It seemed to pull harder but I didn't get a good crack at it.

Next morning it was 30F and I went WOT at 25mph and the car violently wheel hopped all the way to 55mph due to the massive torque/hp and after repeated runs with the tires warmed up it would still wheel hop.

The next day it was 50F and the car was then sliding with traction control on up to 70mph.

While I was testing the car I picked up an WRX STi along the way that wanted to play. I made a right turn at 5mph and floored it and he got right behind me. I was spinning and hopping badly and he moved into the next lane as he started to pull on me side by side since I was losing so much traction. Then suddenly my PS2s gripped and I shot about 7 cars on him from 30-90mph. At the next light he asked me if I sprayed on him, lol. I said no, I just finally got power to the ground.

Now with all this power I need some drag radials, something better than BFGs which I had before. AWESOME MOD.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I had MBenz install my 80mm TB, it took them about 7 hrs as they removed the S/C. I picked up the car on a very warm day -- 80F and my intake temps were like 120F in traffic. It seemed to pull harder but I didn't get a good crack at it.

Next morning it was 30F and I went WOT at 25mph and the car violently wheel hopped all the way to 55mph due to the massive torque/hp and after repeated runs with the tires warmed up it would still wheel hop.

The next day it was 50F and the car was then sliding with traction control on up to 70mph.

While I was testing the car I picked up an WRX STi along the way that wanted to play. I made a right turn at 5mph and floored it and he got right behind me. I was spinning and hopping badly and he moved into the next lane as he started to pull on me side by side since I was losing so much traction. Then suddenly my PS2s gripped and I shot about 7 cars on him from 30-90mph. At the next light he asked me if I sprayed on him, lol. I said no, I just finally got power to the ground.

Now with all this power I need some drag radials, something better than BFGs which I had before. AWESOME MOD.
Wait a minute.. Dont you have an LSD?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Yes I have an LSD. I almost wrecked my car w/o it and installed it 2 years ago. With the hennesey pulley and headers + ECU and no LSD my car's rear end tweaked from spinning and the car went into the incoming lane of a 4 lane road. Had there been a car coming my car would have been totaled.

Now there is no chance that the car will swerve that much -- only 2-3 feet side to side as opposed to 1-2 car lengths. I had 560 rwtq BEFORE the 80 mm TB and methly.

Victor excellent recommendation about staying clear of the ported stock TB. This mod feels terrific!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Yes I have an LSD. I almost wrecked my car w/o it and installed it 2 years ago. With the hennesey pulley and headers + ECU and no LSD my car's rear end tweaked from spinning and the car went into the incoming lane of a 4 lane road. Had there been a car coming my car would have been totaled.

Now there is no chance that the car will swerve that much -- only 2-3 feet side to side as opposed to 1-2 car lengths. I had 560 rwtq BEFORE the 80 mm TB and methly.

Victor excellent recommendation about staying clear of the ported stock TB. This mod feels terrific!!!
Very nice.... What do you think of the methly upgrade? Is it worth it? Did it make a meaningful impact on hp/tq?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Just got the Kit. I must say it looks great. Cant wait to get it on.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
So glad you like it David!! I am sure you will like it even more once you get it installed and have some seat time with it..

Give my cell # to the guy that is doing the install just in case he has any questions.. It really is a Plug & Play kit with everything that is required in the box, but, if he doesnt understand something please tell him to call me.

I want to make sure everything goes smoothly for you.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Just got the Kit. I must say it looks great. Cant wait to get it on.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:17 PM

will do Vrus. Again thanks

D
Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone done 80mm TB to pure "stock" car?

Contemplating the throttle body as my first upgrade. Deal or no deal?

If no deal, what's the best first mod?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:58 PM

throttle body is going on my stock car thursday.

Deal - do it
Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I know it's worth its weight in gold on an ECU & Pulley car.. Many people here can testify to that. I just dont know if its the best first upgrade on a stock car... If it provides the instant throttle response and increased torque throughout the rev range like it does on a modified car, I would say go for it..

It's basically a toss up between headers & 80mm TB.... Headers are a great first mod, but it is more expensive than doing the TB. Flip a coin..

Originally Posted by Lysholm Master
Contemplating the throttle body as my first upgrade. Deal or no deal?

If no deal, what's the best first mod?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM

The Way I see it is that the Ecu will adapt to it no problem. Its doing it with all the other cars that have the ecu modded. Should be no problem.

Now a car with a specific tune with it should be killer
Old 12-09-2006, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
thanks victor! i just received my kit but i refuse to open it and torture myself since i don't have plans to install it yet. i guess i've got some phone calls to make on monday!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
don't torture yourself like that....just install it
Old 12-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Absolutely! I agree that the ECU can compensate enough in stock form because the cars come out of the factory on the rich side. Leaning it out and adding the extra airflow is a great benefit..

The Way I see it is that the Ecu will adapt to it no problem. Its doing it with all the other cars that have the ecu modded. Should be no problem.

Now a car with a specific tune with it should be killer
Mikey, Mikey... You didn't even take it out of the box... Now I'm offended... You don't even want to take a peak and see what all my hard work looks like?? LOL... Go make some phone calls and get that bad boy installed..

You got my cell # right? Give it to your installer and if he has any questions, tell him to give me a shout.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
thanks victor! i just received my kit but i refuse to open it and torture myself since i don't have plans to install it yet. i guess i've got some phone calls to make on monday!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

don't be offended. it's not that i don't want to admire your product it's just that if i take it out of the box i'll end up sleeping with it under my pillow and that will upset the wifey.

no worries, i'll be setting up an appointment on monday!

i don't think i do have your cell...pm me just in case. thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Lot's of talk and speculation. Has anyone

actually dyno'ed and documented the gains from this modification?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scud E55
Since it's your 1st post you're excused. Yes it's been dynoed and doc'ed. Pls do a search on it.

thx
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

opened it up today since it's being installed right now...nice kit victor!!! quick question...what's the tiny tube of solvent and brush for???
Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I was only kidding around.. That's why I put the "LOL" at the end of the sentence. I wasnt offended at all.. I just figured you wouldn't have the willpower to just leave it sit in the box...

don't be offended. it's not that i don't want to admire your product it's just that if i take it out of the box i'll end up sleeping with it under my pillow and that will upset the wifey.

no worries, i'll be setting up an appointment on monday!

i don't think i do have your cell...pm me just in case. thanks!
Nah.. what for? Who needs to document gains.. This is pure snake oil.. I'm selling them by the barrel..

Originally Posted by Scud E55
Can't wait to hear your impressions!! The brush and solvent are for cleaning the surfaces of the TB & inlet before you put a new gasket on.. It's there JUST IN CASE you have alot of residue or gooo on the surfaces and want to clean them.. I try to think of everything.

opened it up today since it's being installed right now...nice kit victor!!! quick question...what's the tiny tube of solvent and brush for???
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus
I was only kidding around.. That's why I put the "LOL" at the end of the sentence. I wasnt offended at all.. I just figured you wouldn't have the willpower to just leave it sit in the box...

Can't wait to hear your impressions!! The brush and solvent are for cleaning the surfaces of the TB & inlet before you put a new gasket on.. It's there JUST IN CASE you have alot of residue or gooo on the surfaces and want to clean them.. I try to think of everything.
no, i know you were kidding...i was just continuing in the spirit of the conversation. i'll let you know how it feels tonight and let you know how it performs since i'm planning to hit up firebird and make a few 1/4mile passes on friday.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
finally got the ASP pulley and vruss TB installed. wonderful difference. car is scary fast and very responsive from breathing easier. Thanks victor.
also, my TB did seperate from the housing. should i enlarge the stock TB for use in the S55? maybe.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 PM

Just came back from picking up my car from the install. Car is stock.

Well first off I could not tell a difference. Idle is the same. throttle seemed the same around the parking lot. Pulled into traffic and gave it a little gas and notice a big difference in response. Found some open road and wow esp light was flashing past 70mph from a stand still. Never done that before.

So even on a stock car you can feel the difference.

Great mod

thanks Vrus

D
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by theboogers
finally got the ASP pulley and vruss TB installed. wonderful difference. car is scary fast and very responsive from breathing easier. Thanks victor.
also, my TB did seperate from the housing. should i enlarge the stock TB for use in the S55? maybe.
Has your ECU software been changed after the ASP and VRUS TB? Do you have any other mods?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
Wink

i already had supertuningusa.com ecu programing. the ecu will adapt and it was already running a little rich. i thoroughly reccommend this setup. it makes it a new experience to drive with the upgrades.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM

Well first off I could not tell a difference. Idle is the same. throttle seemed the same around the parking lot. Pulled into traffic and gave it a little gas and notice a big difference in response. Found some open road and wow esp light was flashing past 70mph from a stand still. Never done that before.
This seems to be a common response to this mod, which needs a little clarification. The part-throttle-response difference noted is not really an improvement in part-throttle response, but rather, a miscalibration of the right foot. With the drive-by-wire system, the TB is being commanded to open to a position that is primarily dictated by the position of the accelerator pedal sensor. The blade in the TB is opening the same number of degrees, whether it's the 74mm or 80mm TB. The difference is, with the 80mm TB, there is more open area around the circumference of the blade. This allows more air to pass with the same pedal movement, compared to the 74mm TB. This increase in airflow produces more power, which is being interpreted as better part-throttle response. It's similar to the effect felt by the Sprintbooster mod. Eventually, your right foot will relearn how far it needs to move to produce a desired result at part-throttle, and the difference noted above will disappear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***