W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
did you do it to your 210 e55?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's in progress along with some other stuff.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
More info...

80mm Supercharger inlet and 80mm Y-pipe on the way from Germany. Will have them by Wednesday next week.. Will take pics of these parts when they arrive.
Awesome!! Sounds like it's all coming together. How long until you start accepting orders??
Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
Awesome!! Sounds like it's all coming together. How long until you start accepting orders??
I have a few things coming from Germany at the same time.. We ordered the pieces for the TB and there is also a new supercharger clutch pack coming which is supposed to be alot better than what I have now.. Once everything arrives, the car will go in and everything will be installed at once.

Next Wedn. the parts should be here, and right after that I'll schedule an install date. Once I hit the dyno and see that it does what it is supposed to do, I'll make all the parts available to anyone that wants them.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:30 PM

04 E55
Sounds great!! Best of luck on the new parts. I'm curious to hear about your new SC clutch as well. I'm in the process of trying to cure my chirp/stumble right now. Hopefully it'll be a thing of the past after today.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Fingers Crossed it works.....

Vrus,

Good Luck.

If this works like you think it will I'm going to have to try to do the same thing to my 05' E55.

MachC5
Old 05-23-2006, 01:37 PM

update??

Hows the project going?? Waiting anxiously

Raj
Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
me to
Old 05-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
With the long weekend and some delays in the shipping from Germany, the other pieces didnt arrive until this morning. I will be picking them up tomorrow and trying to have an install done on Friday or early next week. Will take some pics of the supercharger inlet when I get home tomorrow and post them for you guys.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well boys... Looks like we are getting closer... Below is a pic of the complete 80mm TB upgrade "kit".. I'm calling it a kit now because these are all authentic AMG parts that will bolt directly onto the car (I hope.. )..

These 5 pieces are what is required to make this a plug & play upgrade.

Notice the bigger neck on the Y-pipe. It also has a rubber ring gasket on the inside of the opening which helps to keep it snug against the TB.

The piece on the top left is the neck of the supercharger inlet. The second pic is a blow-up of that part from the front and the third pic is a blowup from the backside (the part that attaches to the supercharger). Notice inside there is a V groove.. Weird how they put that air splitter there.. Not sure why but it is interesting..

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile to smoothen out the insides of the inlet since it is off the car? Do you guys think there would be any benefit in making the porous surfaces nice and shiney and smooth to help airflow??

Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM

2003 SL500
With air flow, smooth is alway better. The problem is access to the areas that need to be smoothed out. It would be very time consuming to get inside your unit to get it smoothed out with some emery paper or something similar. I have never used a sandblasting method, but some people have withh good sucess. Good luck.
Glenn
Old 05-26-2006, 08:47 PM

04 E55
Speaking from experience, that plenum is going to SUCK to hardroll smooth. I honestly don't think there would be much, if any gain from it either. However, that "V" might benefit from getting knocked down a little bit. It's kind of hard to see in that 2nd pic (little blurry) and without seeing exactly how it all mates up, I can't say for sure, but minimizing it and/or sharpening it's leading edge so it doesn't present such a large frontal surface would probably be a good idea. I wouldn't remove it all-together as it appears to guide the air around that wall behind it as opposed to letting the air crash into it. Then, yet again, it's important to remember that the air is being "drawn" in at this point, not "blown in".

Reader's digest version: Clean up/sharpen the V, don't remove it. You're the man. That is all.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Thats awesome!! Very impressive. All O.E. at that!!!

The part is odd with the cone thing directing airflow. My guess....maybe it directs the air over the S/C rotors instead of between the two at the center. I really don't know....interesting though.

I don't even have a E55 but this is very interesting.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Two thoughts:

1) You really don't know the flow characteristics inside the unit or the purpose of any structure within it - that means there's more opportunity to screw something up rather than to improve it.

2) If you mod it prior to installation and there's no increase or a loss of power, is it because the larger TB is a bad idea, or your mods caused a problem?

I'd leave it alone. You've got too much time and expense invested to take a chance. You can always yank it off and screw it up later.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
You're right. 1 variable at a time.. I will bolt it on for now and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Two thoughts:

1) You really don't know the flow characteristics inside the unit or the purpose of any structure within it - that means there's more opportunity to screw something up rather than to improve it.

2) If you mod it prior to installation and there's no increase or a loss of power, is it because the larger TB is a bad idea, or your mods caused a problem?

I'd leave it alone. You've got too much time and expense invested to take a chance.
hahahahaaha... That's some funny stuff!! You know me too well already! I guess I need to learn to leave well enough alone sometimes..

You can always yank it off and screw it up later.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 PM

04 E55
Y'know . . . that makes entirely too much sense. Just bolt it on and see what happens. Good call Grumpy.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:48 AM

Honing the inside of the plenum will only increase the flow. You have already thrown massive amounts of money and time at this to obtain somewhat modest increases in power. If you are really shooting for 600rwhp, it makes no sense NOT to send it to get extrude honed. It has the best chance of maintaining matched port velocities and deburrs the plenum consistently throughout the tract.

www.extrudehone.com

Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I read somewhere that for best airflow you need dimpled face - like a golf ball. Seen it on speaker cabinet woofer ports too ... aparently it traps surface air and lets them act like ball bearings for the main air flow ... pure flat surfaces aparently are sticky...

Hey dont ask me why - I would have thought a smooth surface would be better too... but then you read (and see) this stuff...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Some submarines and torpedoes use the same principles. The surface tension of the object is reduced by creating a boundary layer of turbulence around the object, which decreases drag significantly. I am not sure if the same principles are as helpful for gasses flowing through a channel as it is for an object moving through gas/liquid.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks for the input... I've been tossing around the idea of trying out extrudehone for a while.. I wanted to do my intake plenums (the 2 cast iron pieces with the AMG script on them)... problem is that the car would be out of commission for a couple of weeks...

I think I am going to install everything as is and just see where I am at... At this point I dont want to wait a few more weeks to get initial readings of power levels. I might buy another one of the inlet pieces and the intake plenums and have those sent out and then do some experimenting with them. We'll see...

Originally Posted by eclou
Honing the inside of the plenum will only increase the flow. You have already thrown massive amounts of money and time at this to obtain somewhat modest increases in power. If you are really shooting for 600rwhp, it makes no sense NOT to send it to get extrude honed. It has the best chance of maintaining matched port velocities and deburrs the plenum consistently throughout the tract.

www.extrudehone.com

Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
INSTAL IT ALREADY!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
you need help Victor? Let me see MIA to Toronto 3.5 hour flight i could be there late this evening. All this for the possibility of being moved to #2 on the list.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Albert,

Don't worry buddy!! There is one for you if you want it.

I found out that my guy has access to at least 14 units so that is plenty to go around...

I wish I had a block of time available where work wouldn't interrupt me.. Things would move along a little faster. I am actually working this out so that the dealer will be installing it for me along with my new supercharger clutch pack.. I am just waiting for a confirmation of my install date.

Originally Posted by rflow306
you need help Victor? Let me see MIA to Toronto 3.5 hour flight i could be there late this evening. All this for the possibility of being moved to #2 on the list.

Patience young grasshopper... Patience...

Originally Posted by BMWEATR
INSTAL IT ALREADY!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by stevebez
I read somewhere that for best airflow you need dimpled face - like a golf ball. Seen it on speaker cabinet woofer ports too ... aparently it traps surface air and lets them act like ball bearings for the main air flow ... pure flat surfaces aparently are sticky...

Hey dont ask me why - I would have thought a smooth surface would be better too... but then you read (and see) this stuff...
The dimpled surface of the golf ball is addressing a different problem than air flowing through a port. As a golf ball flies through the air (or any object traveling through a fluid), it leaves behind a pocket of low pressure, which causes drag. The dimples cause turbulence near the surface of the ball, which causes the airflow to follow the curvature of the ball more closely. This reduces the size of the low-pressure pocket, which reduces drag. The ball travels farther.

Air flowing through a port needs to be kept as laminar as possible to produce the most flow. Any turbulence that causes drag will hinder flow. This is also true in a dry intake system, where no fuel is present. If there is fuel mixed with the air, a rough surface is beneficial. The turbulence caused near the rough surface helps keep the fuel atomized and prevents droplets from forming on the surface, which would happen if the surface were smooth.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Just for clarification there are almost no wet-manifold systems anymore. The last of the TBI cars died off thankfully in the late 1980's. The only wet systems nowadays tend to be NOS and water/meth injection add-ons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 80mm AMG Throttle Body ***