Sponsored by:

I Need Advice - Wrecked Benz!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I Need Advice - Wrecked Benz!

I did not have a happy holiday weekend! My wife was driving my kids home from the lake on Monday when a woman in a pickup truck slammed into the back of my car while my wife was stopped at a stop sign.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First of all, everyone was fine. Thank God. There were no injuries at all except to my pride and joy E55. It might have been a different story in a lesser car.

Now as I ponder my predicament, I'd like to think that maybe the frame is bent enough that the other drivers insurance company may total out the car but the more I look at the photos, the more unlikely that seems.

So I'm stuck with the scenario of trying to get the car fixed and then keeping it, or trading it in and replacing it. My biggest problem, if it is repaired, will be the diminished value of the car. The used car sales mgr. at Crown Eurocars in Columbus, OH told my the car is automatically worth 25% less than before the accident. Even with a perfect repair.

I know every insurance company is different, but what's the best way to get my 25% value loss back?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:42 AM

2006 ML500
Glad to hear no one was hurt! Looks like it took a pretty good shot!

Hopefully you have a reputable insurance company. The wreck will definetly affect the value....everytime I trade in a Mercedes they are able to find any paintwork that isn't original and there goes the trade-in value...plus your carfax will probably be affected. I have passed on cars due to a carfax accident report. Not sure if you could get an independant appraiser to assess the damage a bit more in your favor?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
sorry to tell you buddy, but your car will never be the same if you choose to fix it. It could be done by a professional shop, but will never be like factory. If I were you I would make them total the car and make them pay you the value of it of course it's all up to the insurance for them to determine if the car is totaled or not, just give them a nag and tell them you do not feel comfortable having a repaired car.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:06 AM

E55
That car has to be pretty close to totaled. Make sure you go to a reputable shop - they may work with you to help the car get totaled. Might be helpful to get more than one estimate. Maybe if you add damages plus loss of value it's a total loss??
Old 05-31-2006, 10:11 AM

2004 E55 AMG
wow.. the rear window shatters that easily?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Sorry for your bad luck... Hope they total it...

Chem0: The rear window appeared to be knocked out by the trunk.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Oh BTW, have your wife and kids do physical check up.... I got into accident early last year and didn't feel any pain whatsoever until 2 months later.... I checked w/ a therapist and found out that my muscles around the spine got twisted a bit (??? or a lot? ) due to seat belt.

Until now, I'm not fully recovered yet... Still have some pain...
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Can I ask what that felt like.....it looks like such a hard hit.

Obviously your heads blasted the head rests, but did you rebound and strike the front at all or did the belts lock up to prevent that.

So glad you are O..K.

Keep an eye on those kids for whiplash and neck trauma...sometimes it does take few days to show signs.

WOW....those famous Benz crumple/crumble zones in action again...look at the rear drivers side door....that area looks unscathed. Thank God for Benz safety.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM

Good advice guys. I'm having the car transported to a shop called True Performance, in Columbus Ohio. They are certified for both MB & BMW. I want to get it there before the adjuster even looks at it. The way I see it, location at a body shop of my choice dictates where it will be fixed if it can be fixed at all. I don't want them to try to send me to their pet repair shop.

When I called my insurance agent about the accident he checked into the other drivers coverage. He told me he had good news and bad news.The good news was that the other driver did have insurance. The bad news was the the insurer was Allstate, probably one of the slowest and most difficult companies to deal with.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

AMGs
Im sorry to hear about your accident, the good news is that everyone is in good condition but you must take the kids to a doctor for a check up. The pain/injury might show up a few days/weeks later.

Allstates is a pain in the a** but hang in there...
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM

just from a past accident on my old 1980 euro 280SE you car is close to being totalled. Lady ran a red light and hit the rear quarter panel on mine. I made them fix it at my choice of a MB dealer. They did a awesome job but the cost was over 10k. That was the rear quarter,bumper, rear pass door, straighting it out. I was amazed.

Your car is easy 20k + i think. The rear of your car looks pretty damaged on the drivers side. Looks like a trunk, rear window, drivers side quarter, rear bumper, rear light. That is just on the surface. Once they start taking it apart it will even be more.

Fight it total it and get a new one even if it takes awhile.

Glad no one was hurt thats the main thing.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
This is perfect example of how a Lease can protect you. If it was leased you would just get it fixed and when your lease runs out you turn it in, no penalty and MB is stuck with the car. Hopefully your insurance will total it and you will be ok.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Don't worry about allstate, here is a perfect example, I have progressive and the other insurance was kind of slow (can't recall, might have been allstate also), so what my insurance did was fix the car on their expense and then sue the other insurance company for all damages for fixing my car on their Tab, this was on my previous car, my E420.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 PM

06 E55 AMG (my dailydriver)
Sorry to hear about your accident ....Glad that everyone is ok though.
Get medical help and advice immediately because some soft-tissue injuries do take some time to surface.
Looking at those photos I wouldn't take anything less than a total loss on that car. I would not feel comfortable and confident to drive a vehicle even after a so-called "perfect" repair after this kind of damage. From the orientation of the rear left wheel in the second photo, looks like rear left suspension is damaged as well.
Make a big fuss and Demand a total loss if I were you.
It's always sad to see a good car giving its life to save the owners.
Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Sorry to hear about your situation. I was involved in a similar accident in May of 2005 (I was stopped and was hit at 50mph in the rear). My car had $30k in damage but the insurance company would not total the car at that time. The car was fixed by a local shop (which are friends of the family) but it still wasn't the car it was before the accident.

Long story short, I would have never sold the car if it wasn't in that accident. The buyer knew of the accident and the damage (was on Carfax) incurred but still bought it (I got lucky). I figured I lost about $10-$15k on depreciation plus I went through 2 months of physical therapy. I'm getting a settlement from the insurance company but it still doesn't cover what I lost on the car & the PIA this accident was.

I really feel for you, it's not a good situation to be in. I hope your car is a total loss. I would fight as much as possible to total the car!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 516 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Glad everyone is fine.

From the look of that picture it looks like another drunk, pickup-drivin Buckeye forgot that a stop sign means stop.

Last edited by Rock; 05-31-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Good to hear everyone is fine
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys...Jody420, my insurance company just offered to do the same thing for me. (Handle the claim and then sue Allstate) Did you see a spike in your premiums after this?

Plus...good advice about the soft tissue damage. I was not in the car at the time of the accident so I'll keep an eye on the family and take a wait and see attitude to say that everyone's alright.

After reading your comments guys, my best hope is that I get the thing totaled. I've been reading up on "Diminutaion of Value" laws in Ohio (and most other states). I think I'm Scr#wed! Ohio and 36 other states do not demand insureres to pay loss of value claims to victims. All they require is that the insurer repair the car to it's "original condition" not "original value".

JLP I'm not sure if a lease would protect me here. When the car is returned at lease end, diminshed value may be applied at turn in resulting in charges similar to apparent damage or excessive milage. (I'm sure alot of that would depend on if your replacing your damaged car with another same make vehicle)

Rock, I'd love to agree with you but the WOMAN driver was a a Hoosier!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Don't even consider keeping the car. You need to get MB involved NOW to be sure you don't get left holding the bag at lease end. I know from experience that it cannot ever be like it was before the wreck.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Ex-Beemer,

So sorry to see the damage to your car. I just had to take my brand new 06 E55 into the body shop after a blown out tire tread hit my hood while driving on the freeway. I know it's nothing like yours. I did want to tell you, however, that I have some expertise in this area, having operated my own independent insurance adjusting business for over 15 years. At first blush, the damage does not appear to be nearly enough to total out the vehicle and you are probably aware that according to your insurance contract, you do not have the choice as to whether or not the car is deemed a total loss. It's purely an economical decision on the part of the insurance company. If you need some additional info., I would be glad to help you out. There are some strategies that you may be able to employ to improve your chances of being "made whole" in this loss. PM me.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
No insurance spike, none at all, the reason was the other passanger was at fault clearly, the same may apply to you. Just make a big fuss about your car and hopefully you should pull it off.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Thanks guys...Jody420, my insurance company just offered to do the same thing for me. (Handle the claim and then sue Allstate) Did you see a spike in your premiums after this?

Plus...good advice about the soft tissue damage. I was not in the car at the time of the accident so I'll keep an eye on the family and take a wait and see attitude to say that everyone's alright.

After reading your comments guys, my best hope is that I get the thing totaled. I've been reading up on "Diminutaion of Value" laws in Ohio (and most other states). I think I'm Scr#wed! Ohio and 36 other states do not demand insureres to pay loss of value claims to victims. All they require is that the insurer repair the car to it's "original condition" not "original value".

JLP I'm not sure if a lease would protect me here. When the car is returned at lease end, diminshed value may be applied at turn in resulting in charges similar to apparent damage or excessive milage. (I'm sure alot of that would depend on if your replacing your damaged car with another same make vehicle)

If the car is leased you have nothing to worry about. MB does not bill you for the car having been hit. That is a risk they take in renting or leasing cars.

Just get it fixed best you can (and believe me it will be darn close to perfect again -- just go to a great shop) and then give it back at the end of the lease.

Have the other persons insurance pay your lease payment for the 1-2 months that car will be in the shop and call it a day. Leasing that car was a good idea since your downside potential is minimized. With the falling resale values and all you come out ahead of many of the owners. The fact that the car was just hit makes the lease an even sweeter deal.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER

If it was leased then MB will not charge you any diminished value charge. All leases have a gap waiver and as long as the car is repaired at an MB authorized body shop you are completely protected, another reason why leasing an expensive car decreases your vulnerability if you get into an accident!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
IMO...the fact that there were kids in a car hit that hard should be pretty good leverage to hold over Allstates head...get an attorney...and make sure everyone gets medically inspected. Allstate will probably try and cut you a check right away...as soon as you sign...they are in the clear...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Glad everyone is ok.

Car can be fixed - but the way it looks - it is total loss. Preassure your insurance company, tell them that you won't drive it due to mental reasons and kids are afraid of riding in it.
I see cars being declared total loos with far less damage.
Yours looks like it will require the whole rear clip replaced. Looks like rear floor is bent and it is pain in the *** to fix it.
Good luck and don't agree to take it back, even if they fix it - reject repairs.
Ever seen Sopranos?? how that guy rejected his Lincoln repairs? That's what you need to do. Good luck again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Need Advice - Wrecked Benz!