Sponsored by:

E55 cooling project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 cooling project

i am working on a cooling project using the cryo2 system.. ill use it to cool the air going to the supercharger and cool the intercooler... pic will be there soon.. wish me luck
Old 06-12-2006, 08:56 AM

Interesting. Can't wait for picks and review
Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by E55HID
i am working on a cooling project using the cryo2 system.. ill use it to cool the air going to the supercharger and cool the intercooler... pic will be there soon.. wish me luck
Can you explain a little about the system? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Keep in mind that these types of systems are intended to spray directly onto the IC. Spraying onto the IC heat exchanger will not have nearly the same benefit. Where are you planning to install the intake bulb?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
^^
I was just about to say the same thing...

The front mount is not the intercooler. From my knowledge, the intercooler is right below the supercharger...so unless you found a way to go through the intercooler underneath the blower, I think this topic has already been talked about???
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

the intercooler is behind the middle bottem grill am i right?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:22 AM

the intercooler is behind the middle bottem grill am i right?
No, that is the IC heat exchanger. The actual IC is under the supercharger.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
^^Yes...
Old 06-13-2006, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
What would be better

1 fitting a fatter IC under the S/C (Assuming there is sufficient space etc to allow this)

or

2 A bigger heat exchanger...?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Almost a Member!

why is it under the s/c that is a bad design. i thought it was the one behind the s/c.... can anyone show pic of the acctual s/c i/c plzzz???

well anyway am going to spray the liquid CO2 on the heat exchanger and ill hit the dyno asap and will let you guys know about the resaults..... finger crossed.

Last edited by E55HID; 06-13-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 AM

2004 E55
why is it under the s/c that is a bad design. i thought it was the one behind the s/c.... can anyone show pic of the acctual s/c i/c plzzz???

well anyway am going to spray the liquid CO2 on the heat exchanger and ill hit the dyno asap and will let you guys know about the resaults..... finger crossed.
Actually it is a GREAT design IF you can cool it properly.
This is the most efficient design for "Boosting" applications.
You have quicker throttle responses(instantaneous)-'cause you're not losing pressure to long intake pipes!

The trick is to get the coolant coming from the heat exchanger to be as "Cold" as possible...that will allow the IC to also be effective at cooling the pressurized air.

I have actually thought of designing an exchange cooler that has auxilliary lines and small pump (closed system) where we could place "ICE and run ice water" that would be effective for say hrs. at a time???

Try what your doing - I'm interested to see the results.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

The car is ready guys, ill hit the dyno asap to see the results... the only problem is the weather here in bahrain its about 40 degrees C... anyways will see what happens.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM

... the only problem is the weather here in bahrain its about 40 degrees C...
Actually, the warmer the ambient temperature is, the more effective the CO2 spray will be.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevebez
What would be better

1 fitting a fatter IC under the S/C (Assuming there is sufficient space etc to allow this)

or

2 A bigger heat exchanger...?
I think the answer falls into the six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-another category. You probably won't know unless you try both.

But if I had to guess, I would go with #2.

With #1, the intake charge is exposed to more surface cooling area, which should provide a little additional cooling. But each time the coolant makes a pass through the system, it brings back a little more heat for the heat exchanger to process. If the size of the heat exchanger is just big enough the cool the original IC, the coolant begins to heat up. Eventually, it will reach an equalibrium temperature, but that temperature might be a little higher than if the IC were smaller. Bigger cooling area with a little warmer coolant could equal no difference. Or it could be worse.

With #2, the coolant extracts the same amount of heat in the IC, but with a bigger heat exchanger, it should be cooled to a lower temperature. So lower-temperature coolant is circulating, which will provide for a lower intake charge temperature.

With both options there's additional mass to absorb heat due the increased amount of coolant - both benefit.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

HI!
I know that this topic has been discussed to death so forgive me in avance if this has been talked about. As I understand, the water that runs thru the heat exchanger is the same water that runs thru the radiator, so it is safe to assume that it will not be colder than 180 to 200F most of the time. This will cool the intake charge somewhat, but not more than to the temperature of the water. I have not looked at the specifics (I'm sure someone has), but I believe that the most basic thing to do, would be to close the system so that the water in the intercooler does not mix with the water in the engine. I know some of the tuning companies provide their systems with extra heat exchangers and pumps, but I wonder if anyone has tried to create an independent system using our factory heat exchanger and seen results. This would probably be the "best bang for the buck" solution. As I said before, I don't know if this would be possible, but maybe it is

Best Regards
Victor
Old 06-13-2006, 02:35 PM

No Victor, this is not accurate. If the IC coolant were at engine-coolant temperature, the supercharger would always be on the verge of disengagement, since the intake charge would be near 200 degrees. These two systems share the same overflow tank, so they don't really mix, per se. They are separate other than that.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM

2004 E55
Just a note:

The coolant @ the thermostat maybe 190+, but the coolant (cooled side)coming out of the radiator is more like 110-130. If it is then routed to the Heat exchanger(any help here on flow direction is appreciated) it will be cooled even more.
Hence the coolant (exiting the heat exchanger)going to the I/cooler I would speculate to be in the 90-110degree range. The real trick here is to get the coolant even "colder"...especially under extreme loads.

Still interested in this cooling project.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Just a note:

The coolant @ the thermostat maybe 190+, but the coolant (cooled side)coming out of the radiator is more like 110-130. If it is then routed to the Heat exchanger(any help here on flow direction is appreciated) it will be cooled even more.
Hence the coolant (exiting the heat exchanger)going to the I/cooler I would speculate to be in the 90-110degree range. The real trick here is to get the coolant even "colder"...especially under extreme loads.

Still interested in this cooling project.
You are correct the heat exchanger ties into the cold side of the radiator. The ideal way imo is to separate the two and increase the fluid volume back to stock via a large reservoir. While having a reservoir with ice will work wonders at the track and dyno on the street i don't think it will be to practical for the long haul.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by rflow306
...While having a reservoir with ice will work wonders at the track and dyno on the street i don't think it will be to practical for the long haul.
That is exactly my thinking - normal everyday driving is not the big ticket here.
The track and Dyno and occasional "tear'n" up the streets is where this would do wonders.