I don't like my car anymore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Angry I don't like my car anymore

I just got my car back from having the recent recalls done (2004 stock E55 with no mods); I don't really know where to start...

This car used to put a smile on my face, but now I'm just getting really disappointed.
This thing is a dog!!! I can't even break traction in first gear... WTF...

I complained to the dealer that power was down after a couple of runs on the freeway and I got the normal "unable to duplicate customer complaint, car within spec." response. I had to open the hood to make sure I still had an AMG engine in there. I guess I have to take a day off from work and hang out at the dealership while they troubleshoot this issue. I'm thinking weak or dead IC pump, or perhaps the new ECU software that was installed.

Has anyone else experienced a significant powerloss after the recalls on a non-modified E55?

Any input would be much appreciated.

-Mattias
Old 06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Is this some master plot by MB to force us to go to the NA engines?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
Is this some master plot by MB to force us to go to the NA engines?
I have a couple Ks left until my first service... How can we tell them NOT to flash our ECU and other things to rub our engine? (or the 06 model excluded?)
Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM

2003 E55 K1
Raise Hell!!!

I have a 2003 E55 and have experienced the same power loss as you, and so have many others. I am raising hell with two MB dealers near me and I would advise others to do the same. I have been given the "my hands are tied speech", but if enough of us complain loudly maybe MB will try to placate us. These cars are our property. MB has no right to detune their performance without notifying us that the changes they are making will do so. They cannot claim it would jepardize our warranty since the warranty was issued with the car with the software that was in place at the time of purchase. In fact, I am requesting that the original software that came with my car be reinstalled if that is at all possible. (Unfortunately, I had a new ECU installed and it my not be possible to install old software.)
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Why don't you guys put your cars in the Dyno? At least then you might have something in hand to argue your point with to MB.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
That's what I was thinking.

Any reasonably priced around the south bay?

-M
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
I asked the question(recall update on stock cars do or don't? Why?)in Ted's thread on this issue. With not one response from other members. I can only assume that they really don't know the answer. It also seems to be a lot of contradiction among members saying after recall ECU flash the car is either scary fast, no change or slow. Until someone actually puts the car on the dyno before and after the flash with similar conditions all we can do is speculate.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Mine was faster than before, but it was probably due to the reset of the learning ECU. However, they also knocked off the steering sensors for me which left my steering wheel off centered......
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Nij

2005 Black/Black E55
That's crazy, I had an appointment to bring in my car TODAY and i just cancelled it...I already thought my car was slower than a couple months ago, and I don't want to make it even slower! HELP! is this for real????

Last edited by Nij; 06-27-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:43 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by mstenberg
That's what I was thinking.

Any reasonably priced around the south bay?

-M
www.dynospotracing.com
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Confused by this whole thing. Maybe I am in the minority, but my car felt quicker after the updates.

And I don't doubt that Kleeman and Renntech will find a way to program these ECU's soon.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by enzom

And I don't doubt that Kleeman and Renntech will find a way to program these ECU's soon.
Agreed. I don't see either of them giving up; not when there is money to be made. It will just take a little time.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I'm apprehensive about going to the dealer for anything, and I damn sure don't want them messing with my ECU. I take a look at the "Service Campaign" letter received back in April every so often, then I see more & more horror stories here in the forums. I hide the letter in the back of the drawer and try to forget about it hoping it will go away. Someday it may serve as toilet paper if my car loses performance like others have said here.
It makes me sick knowing that I will eventaully have to get some sort of service at the dealer and they will F my car up.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just got my car back from having the recent recalls done (2004 stock E55 with no mods); I don't really know where to start...

This car used to put a smile on my face, but now I'm just getting really disappointed.
This thing is a dog!!! I can't even break traction in first gear... WTF...

I complained to the dealer that power was down after a couple of runs on the freeway and I got the normal "unable to duplicate customer complaint, car within spec." response. I had to open the hood to make sure I still had an AMG engine in there. I guess I have to take a day off from work and hang out at the dealership while they troubleshoot this issue. I'm thinking weak or dead IC pump, or perhaps the new ECU software that was installed.

Has anyone else experienced a significant powerloss after the recalls on a non-modified E55?

Any input would be much appreciated.

-Mattias
I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE EXACT SAME THING! I HATE my car now. I'm terrified to use the brakes because they have like 3" of travel before they engage, the car is slow as a pig and shifts are wayyy late, revs bounce of the redline constantly and my supercharger takes rest breaks whenever it feels like it! I'm trying DESPERATELY to find the guy at the top of my local dealership so I can write him a letter. Despite our complaints, though, I doubt MBZ will even bat an eye. Although we're entitled to our own voice, we're a very small minority and corporate could give a sh*t about what we think. We bought the cars, thats all they care about. From now on I'm taking my car to a private garage who has been working on Merc's since the 70's and has its own Star Diagnostic system. Stealerships are no longer in my address book.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Ok, that's it!

I can't take this abuse any longer.

Thanks to the guidance of aintME I'm going in for a dyno baseline test this coming Friday morning. This should tell me if it's me or the car that's going nuts.

-Mattias
Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by enzom
Confused by this whole thing. Maybe I am in the minority, but my car felt quicker after the updates.

i had my C32 ECU update and I have a stronger pull on the high RPM...

somehow my head rest don't come up or down anymore.

The car idles much smoother too...

I did get the 2nd air pump replaced as per the recall..
Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
maybe you have a power addiction and you can really compared how much you actually have?

after I drove a C280 for 3 days last week, I quickly reliazed that the C32 is pretty quick. I do wish it had the low end torque of a v8, but the push on top is pretty sweet.

I plan to upgrade to the e55 within months and find very disappointing to have the same issues I have with my C32 (inconsistent power, heat loss, komp shut off,)

I'm beggining to understand why kompressors becoming history for AMG.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A lot of you seem like yall are talking about subjective power losses (excluding serious electronic problems).

I second the 'get a dyno done first' notion. At least that way you'll have something number wise to work on and show to the dealer.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
................I did dyno the car after the recall and lost 11RWP and 40LBft of rear wheel torque. This has been posted already.

Here is the specific quote.

I did the recall ECU flash and I felt that my car was faster after the ECU re-flash by the dealer. I dynoed it today...........I was wrong! Car was 491HP and 527Lbft of torque before. Now car is 479HP and 489Lbft of torque. A/f ratio is starts out ok at 12 but goes lean up to 14 towards the end of the run. The next run was worse as the car ran very rich...........it looked like the car detected pre-detonation and changed the timing accordingly. Had a final strange last run of 460HP and 537Lbft of torque. So off to Kleemann the Ecu goes tomorrow to re-insert my K4 program. It really looks like the ECU recall reflash does mess things up.
.............Here is the thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/151958-any-post-mb-ecu-flash-dynos-cars-w-mods.html

.............as to whther or not you should do the recall: There is no reason for mercedes to be reflashing the Ecu in the first place in order to fix the secondary air injection pump. I don't think the recall work is neccessary. I think it is a hoax. Knowing what I know now I will not do it. Perod!

Ted
Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz
I can't take this abuse any longer.

Thanks to the guidance of aintME I'm going in for a dyno baseline test this coming Friday morning. This should tell me if it's me or the car that's going nuts.

-Mattias
No problem. Dick is a pretty cool guy. Please post up the results.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 PM

You guys should either (i) write a letter to AMG directly addressing the issue, or (ii) go on the private lounge and discuss the matter there. By doing the ladder you will at least have the benefit of AMG hearing the issue and subsequently there's increased chance that they will do something about. After all, the last thing that they want is to lose some AMG customers over an issue like this.

Plus, going to the dealerships is not going to help. We all what a bunch of monkeys they usually are and the only thing that they're good at is spinning wheels...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I'll probably take it to New Hampshire for a couple run at the drags to see how it does.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Sorry to hear all the bad news. I had my 2004 E55 20,000 mile service done one month ago and the car ran great. I accidentally peeled out pulling out of the dealerships driveway and the throttle response and gear shifts were very crip. The car seems to have settled down because the engine and transmission do not feel as tight anymore, but it still runs great.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
A dyno of a modded car after the ECU flash is meaningless... the program will be completely incompatible ... thats why Ted had the inconsistent dyno results... the new mapping does not know what to do with mods present.

We need a dyno of stock E55 before and after the ECU update.

Last edited by stevebez; 06-28-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by stevebez
A dyno of a modded car after the ECU flash is meaningless... the program will be completely incompatible ... thats why Ted had the inconsistent dyno results... the new mapping does not know what to do with mods present.
I hope you are right !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I don't like my car anymore