*** Check your Belts ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
*** Check your Belts ***

Car was acting a bit funny this past week, and yesterday it really was weird. Top end power and low end response was not what it usually was.. When I got home I decided to do an inspection to see if anything was wrong. I popped the hood and noticed the supercharger belt walked over 1 notch. That caused the outer groove to be shredded up. So, my car is running on a 7 groove belt right now.

Evosport comes through with great service again.. Mike said he is gonna send me a new belt and a new revised tensioner which provides 1" extra belt wrap.

So, check your supercharger belts and make sure they are seated properly!!!!

P.S-> Thanks again Mike for the great service!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
I hadn't posted it yet but now that you bring it up. My stock E55's belt is already starting to fray. I was waiting to figure out what pulley/ chip combo I want and have them switch out my belt and put the pulley on under waranty.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vrus
Car was acting a bit funny this past week, and yesterday it really was weird. Top end power and low end response was not what it usually was.. When I got home I decided to do an inspection to see if anything was wrong. I popped the hood and noticed the supercharger belt walked over 1 notch. That caused the outer groove to be shredded up. So, my car is running on a 7 groove belt right now.

Evosport comes through with great service again.. Mike said he is gonna send me a new belt and a new revised tensioner which provides 1" extra belt wrap.

Victor

Is that problem related to the evo pulleys ?
The reason i ask is the only other person that has mentioned this on the forums also had evo pulleys. Just curious to see what the differences are.
I check my belt whenever possible by removing it and checking the edges for wear.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Albert,

Not sure if it is the pullies or just the fact that the tensioner system in our cars is not adequate??? Regardless, Mike told me that their pulley kit was revised and now has a better tensioner system and uses a 51.5" (or 52.5".. I cant remember which) belt instead of the 50.5" I am using.

My car has had pullies installed since Oct. last year so its been running fine on this belt for a while... I ordered a boost gauge for the car and will be installing it. That will help me diagnose problems a bit easier.

Originally Posted by rflow306
Victor

Is that problem related to the evo pulleys ?
The reason i ask is the only other person that has mentioned this on the forums also had evo pulleys. Just curious to see what the differences are.
I check my belt whenever possible by removing it and checking the edges for wear.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'll check mine. Nice post vrus!!

looks like time to get the EVO!!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yup.. I really like the Evosport pulley setup. They are the only company that sells pullies that are made from scratch (where everyone else just re-works the factory crank pulley and welds on a bigger outter ring) and gives you the underdrive pullies to go along with them. They are much lighter than the stock ones and I have zero issues with vibrations/noise/etc with their crank pulley.

Great setup and well worth the money in my opinion!!

Originally Posted by jangy
I'll check mine. Nice post vrus!!

looks like time to get the EVO!!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Question

Yeah... this is very interesting... Last week down at the local track I spat a brand new belt after installing the big pulley. Absolutely annihilated it to shreds.

Without the s/c active it feels like a slug... Later I chucked on another new belt... Fuel economy went from 14.5 liters per 100 klackers to a bankrupting 23.5 Lt per 100 kay's... I whacked it on the dyno, surprise surprise lost about 60 freekin rear wheel Kw's.

After about 3000 or so rpm the air/fuel and power curves went jittery in unison up top end and was running massively rich. This is where the power died on the ****.

My beautiful chrome tail pipes that I spent 2.5 hours cleaning were now powder coated in matt black carbon. This was very distressing

At the time no one knew wtf was going on... so I saw this image posted here Notice the little blue adjustment device thingy. Well no one responded my question to what it was.

I obviously assumed it was to keep the s/c tensioner in check. So I made my own and whacked it on. You wouldn't freekin believe it!... My economy went back to 14.5 and pulls harder all over.

Most importantly my tail pipes are shiny again. So...obviously without that extra tension the belt slips like a mother.

Another observation is black dust forming just below and around the s/c clutch. Slipping or normal wear & tear? Mmmm.... looks normal... can anyone please comment?

The tensioner mod that I whacked on looks very bodge, so fellow AMG'ers... can any of you tell me where to get a nice pretty blue one like above? Very muchly appreciated!

VRUS, can you please mention the Evosport part number of the revised 1" extra tensioner, as I believe there is still more slip higher up... Many Thanks!

Finny.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Finny,

I cant see the images you posted.. just red X.. I will post the info on the part once I receive it. Evosport is shipping it today so I should get it early next week.

Please try to repost the image.. I am curious to see what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by Finny
The tensioner mod that I whacked on looks very bodge, so fellow AMG'ers... can any of you tell me where to get a nice pretty blue one like above? Very muchly appreciated!

VRUS, can you please mention the Evosport part number of the revised 1" extra tensioner, as I believe there is still more slip higher up... Many Thanks!

Finny.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM

03 E55 AMG
The missing link

Sorry about that...try this link http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?im...05medium7y.jpg

Cheers.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 PM

04 E55
I just had to replace the blower belt for the same reason. Outer edge of the belt began to shred.

Anything that could/would put more belt area on the blower pulley OR drive pulley would be a great mod IMO. Another thing that works well is putting VHT (liquid traction compound) on the belt, but that tends to make a mess on the front of the motor and cause premature belt wear. It's good for a solid 2psi of boost though . . . used to do it on the older Vortech setups.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GTA23109a
I just had to replace the blower belt for the same reason. Outer edge of the belt began to shred.
If this is happening prematurely, it's usually indicative of a pulley alignment problem. Have you taken a close look at your's?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:20 PM

04 E55
I saw the belt, but haven't had a chance to inspect the car. It happened with only a couple thousand miles on that belt.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Yup.. I really like the Evosport pulley setup. They are the only company that sells pullies that are made from scratch (where everyone else just re-works the factory crank pulley and welds on a bigger outter ring) and gives you the underdrive pullies to go along with them.
I havent seen any of the pulley kits out there but I'd like to see what exactly your talking about.Evo's are cnc'ed from scratch and all of the others are factroy modifed ones?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
As far as I know that is a true statement.
I've seen Kleemann, Brabus, Hennessey, etc, etc.. They all have welded on outer rings onto the stock crank pulley..

Below is a pic of the Evo pulley kit.. Mine were all anodized black when I got them (from what I remember) so this might be an older style pic.

Originally Posted by Jrocket
I havent seen any of the pulley kits out there but I'd like to see what exactly your talking about.Evo's are cnc'ed from scratch and all of the others are factroy modifed ones?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
I dont understand the picture - could someone label the relevant parts?
Attached Thumbnails *** Check your Belts ***-headerexhaustintall105medium7y.jpg  
Old 06-30-2006, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Please let US now the belt numbers and lengths ???

Rflow...how is you pullies set up working, any probs and tips I need to know before installing it ???

I am getting this Dayco belt as well, evethough ASP insists that thier belt works well...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 PM

03 E55 AMG
Manual Belt Tension Ajustment.... I think...

Originally Posted by OzE55
I dont understand the picture - could someone label the relevant parts?
Notice on the far right where the two belt pulleys are.... just above that you will see a bolt mounted on an angle through a small blue/green bracket. The bolt head is pressing against the supercharger tensioner. Thats the thingy....I hope this helps oz.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
It helps a lot, thanks.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:43 PM

04 E55
That looks pretty similar (in principle) to the widget that I've seen on a bunch of Cobra mustangs. Basically just keeps added tension on the belt.

Is anyone manufacturing these things or is it on a one-off basis?? Where can I get one???
Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 AM

2004 E55
I have a hennessey pulley and use a 52.5" belt. Stock is 50.5

The belt lenth is the part number. diff. belt makers use a slightly different system, but an example would be 25-08525 which is an 8 rib 52.5 inch belt. most parts stores should know this.

Napa and carquest generally stock this size. Advance can order for you, in a jam you can get away with a 6rib.

I've gone through a few belts and a new tensioner. Producing 500hp is probably going to take at least 50hp to spin the blower- lot of stress on the belt.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I actually found a belt at CarQuest. The belt I had was a Goodyear Gatorback (GTR 4080505).. It is supposedly 50.5" long.. CarQuest only had Dayco so I asked them to put aside their LAST Dayco K080505 which is also a 50.5" belt. The owner was so nice, he actually helped me change the belt right there in the parking lot instead of me driving home.. GOOD THING TOO... We quickly found out the Dayco K080505 50.5" is actually SHORTER than the Goodyear equivalent and wouldnt fit.

Thank God he had a 51" Dayco and we put that one on.. Its nice and tight and had good belt wrap.

SO... You guys that are changing belts, make sure you remember that each manufacturer has slightly different lengths even though the advertised lengths are the same!!!!

Originally Posted by MikaelSS
I have a hennessey pulley and use a 52.5" belt. Stock is 50.5

The belt lenth is the part number. diff. belt makers use a slightly different system, but an example would be 25-08525 which is an 8 rib 52.5 inch belt. most parts stores should know this.

Napa and carquest generally stock this size. Advance can order for you, in a jam you can get away with a 6rib.

I've gone through a few belts and a new tensioner. Producing 500hp is probably going to take at least 50hp to spin the blower- lot of stress on the belt.

Thanks Finny!! Wonder who made up that little piece.. It's pretty neat actually. I'll post a pic of the revised setup I will be receiving from Evosport and we'll see what their solution looks like.

Originally Posted by Finny
Notice on the far right where the two belt pulleys are.... just above that you will see a bolt mounted on an angle through a small blue/green bracket. The bolt head is pressing against the supercharger tensioner. Thats the thingy....I hope this helps oz.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
MikaelSS,

I am running the Hennessy pulley too....I think it has to be the biggest and unfortuantely heaviest pulley on the market...do you think the added boost offsets the added parisitic HP lost--50hp to spin this sucker is alot.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 AM

2004 E55
The majority of the parasitic loss is from the supercharger having to push a lot of air, not the weight of the pulley. And most of the weight of the crank pulley comes from the dampening, which it has to have and the stock pullies have as well- as vrus stated our pulleys are actually a stock pulley just reworked.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by e55 baller
... 50hp to spin this sucker is alot.
I heard the SLR uses over 100hp to drive its S/C ... - well thats what Clarkeson said on his show a while back...
Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Home Brew...

Here is my home brand version... Ha.. It actually works

Vrus, Any news yet on the EVO series II tensioner?

Cheers.

*** Check your Belts ***-tension1s.jpg*** Check your Belts ***-tension2s.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** Check your Belts ***