EVO vs K2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
EVO vs K2?

I am about to pull the plug and dive in on modding this thing and I wanted to take a little survey as to which tuner route and why people prefer??

I am not ready to open up the motor yet, but I want the pullies, ECU flash, headers, rotors, wheels, etc.

Stricktly performance. I want to boost power (always) and drop some weight in the spinning parts.

Also, I may be confused on who is a tuner and who is a sponsor, so sorry.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
I'd like to get opinions on Renntech too with the others !!! stage for stage...I read a ton about Kleeman and they are excellent by all accounts...what about Renntech ?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I would like to know if the MB recall flash has affected RENNtech tuned cars like it has Kleemann tuned cars.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
It seems a lot of folks on the board choose K2. I'm on a quest to piece mine together.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I am about to pull the plug and dive in on modding this thing and I wanted to take a little survey as to which tuner route and why people prefer??

I am not ready to open up the motor yet, but I want the pullies, ECU flash, headers, rotors, wheels, etc.

Stricktly performance. I want to boost power (always) and drop some weight in the spinning parts.

Both are first rate at what they do! It's more a matter of being comfortable with who is doing the service. As for me, I went with C2Designs in Tampa-who are authorized Kleemann. C2Designs did the "E" f/ "DerekFSU" who we all know has the highest recorded 1/4mi time and trap so I was more than comfortable with C2Designs doing my work.

I have since sent the car back for even MORE upgrades and am 100% happy with the customer service!
Pick the one you are most comfortable with!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by vader
I'd like to get opinions on Renntech too with the others !!! stage for stage...I read a ton about Kleeman and they are excellent by all accounts...what about Renntech ?
I am in the same shoe as well and have not pull the plug either on the "RIGHT" tuner... EVO/Renntech/Kleeman??? Too confusing when you are presented w/choices with conflicting stories...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:03 AM

04 E55
Can't speak on the others, but I'm very satisfied with my Renntech parts and their service. I've had no issues with loss of power or drivability post-recall.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I would go for the one who offers most POWER for money...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list

Jangy,

Vic and I will both be at the August meet with our fully modified Evo cars and I will take you for a test drive. Just bring a change of boxer shorts.
Evosport is located in Huntington Beach. If you don't want to go with their product they are an authorized Kleeman dealer. The company is owned by two cool honest guys. Give Simon a call. He is also coming to the BBQ.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Jangy,

Vic and I will both be at the August meet with our fully modified Evo cars and I will take you for a test drive. Just bring a change of boxer shorts.
Evosport is located in Huntington Beach. If you don't want to go with their product they are an authorized Kleeman dealer. The company is owned by two cool honest guys. Give Simon a call. He is also coming to the BBQ.
Thanks girl, that sounds like the deal. As we all know, I fell in love with VIC55's ride, and I know you are on your own quest for some serious grunt, so I have decent confidence in the EVO group. I like that they are "local" and have a few other things (i.e. Rotors) that show where their interests lie.
On the other hand, Kleeman has a pretty strong rep of dedication to the 55 kompressor.
I would LOVE a ride in your cars, and I will look to see if I can find ANY boxers at all. I can't remember the last time a girl made me shiat my pants!!

Thanks again
Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 AM

06' E55
Hey Jangy,

I think the shop might be more important then the brand. I can't imagine that the difference between the packages can be that great. I would look for a shop that you trusted and look hard at what they are authorized to do. EVO/Kleemann/RENNtech all make great products and should stand behind them, I would be more worried about making sure they were installed correctly and that my car wasn't damaged in the process. We have all read the horror stories posted on this board but in my opinion they where all based on the installer and not the manufacturer. Just my $.02 .
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by catalystkid
Hey Jangy,

I think the shop might be more important then the brand. I can't imagine that the difference between the packages can be that great. I would look for a shop that you trusted and look hard at what they are authorized to do. EVO/Kleemann/RENNtech all make great products and should stand behind them, I would be more worried about making sure they were installed correctly and that my car wasn't damaged in the process. We have all read the horror stories posted on this board but in my opinion they where all based on the installer and not the manufacturer. Just my $.02 .
very good point
Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by catalystkid
Hey Jangy,

I agree 100%, thats why I chose Evo. They are 15 minutes from my work and 30 minutes from my house. Any issues at all and my car is there that quickly, althought I have had minimal issues

Right now with all the ECU reprogramming/recall issues with modded cars, its nice to know that I can just drop my car off and get the programming done in one day instead of having to overnight the ECU across the country. Luckily for me I have not needed to reprogram the ECU but just in case I know it will be a quick turnaround. With parts being equal, it boils down to logistics and service. This is not a knock on any non local tuner but a praise to the one who has taken care of me over the past 2 years.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

AMGs
It's all boiled down to...

LOCAL, SERVICE and TURN AROUND TIME...

Jangy, just like we bought the E55 locally at Hoehn instead of MBSB or Laguna Nigel!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Great for you left coasters but Chicago boys have less choices and we don't have Evo
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Great for you left coasters but Chicago boys have less choices and we don't have Evo
Yeah, that sucks but you at least have a Kleemann authorized installer dont you?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
LOCAL, SERVICE and TURN AROUND TIME...

Jangy, just like we bought the E55 locally at Hoehn instead of MBSB or Laguna Nigel!
Yup yup...I am impressed with how Kleeman is handling all the ECu issues, etc. But I think the local advantage is a biggy. Hey VIC55, I know you've been treated well, but is that a function of your relationship or simply how EVO works?

I am definitely down to be a bit cutting edge and working with someone on developing new and improved mods, as I am sure you have done with them. Just curious.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Yup yup...I am impressed with how Kleeman is handling all the ECu issues, etc. But I think the local advantage is a biggy. Hey VIC55, I know you've been treated well, but is that a function of your relationship or simply how EVO works?

I am definitely down to be a bit cutting edge and working with someone on developing new and improved mods, as I am sure you have done with them. Just curious.
Jangy, you answered your own question. How they treat me is how the relationship developed. I never dealt with or had any dealings with Simon previous to my MBZ ownership. I actually bought some parts from a different salesman when I had my W210 E55 but when I met Simon at the first Rose Bowl meet early in 2005 is where the business started. From there on in he has been my go to guy but it has nothing to do with being friends. I know that having the same common interests helps but I know that if I was only about business I would still get the same excellent service. Its just like many board members have good dealings with the Kleemann guys.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Vic I think there are a few shown on Kleeman USA...one may be a dealer...the other I am pretty sure I read a crappy review on here...and the last one may be good but I would love to here some pro comments on Renntech too since MY dealer will do the install for me....
Old 07-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Vic I think there are a few shown on Kleeman USA...one may be a dealer...the other I am pretty sure I read a crappy review on here...and the last one may be good but I would love to here some pro comments on Renntech too since MY dealer will do the install for me....
Yeah you might want to check with Kleemann themselves (if you have not done so) to see who they like for their business partners. Renntech is just so expensive IMO.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM

06' E55
Hey Vader,

I am near Chicago as well and have been looking into this. We have Knauz which is a MB dealer and Kleemann said they are the most experienced but their labor rates are high and they are the ones who did Stiff1's install and look at all the trouble he is having. There is Willow in Chicago but they are the ones who have had negative things written about them. I am probably going to visit Chicago Performance in Melrose Park, Marcus Frost says they are excellent.

I know Naperville MB is a RENNtech shop but $5K for pulleys and an ECU seems high. They want $5K for headers and almost $4K for an airbox?!?
Seems out of line compared to what others are charging.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Renntech

Just my input ... great service and support from renntech.

Renntech might be a tad more expensive but I found it to be worth it. (I don't see a lot a people having problems with Renntech)
Old 07-07-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
I know Renntech Pulley/ECU is 5k...but what I am not really clear on is what does the Klee Pulley/ECU run ? Its hard to figure out all the K1 thru K ? stuff....
Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 PM

06' E55
I know Renntech Pulley/ECU is 5k...but what I am not really clear on is what does the Klee Pulley/ECU run ? Its hard to figure out all the K1 thru K ? stuff....
It is $3500-$3800 depending on who does the install and the labor rate they use. Roughly 30% less then RENNtech, there needs to be a significant difference to justify the difference IMO.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
That is quite a big difference...if thats installed then Kleeman will get the nod....5k for the Renntech is without the install I think. Have to wait and see what the outcome is with the ECU problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO vs K2?