W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

*** 70mm Stainless Exhaust Coming Soon!! ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 09:55 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks! Not sure where the high flow cats came from.. My buddy ordered everything for me.. We got all the stainless material from Burns Stainless.. They are expensive, but it is good quality material. I will ask him when I talk to him next..

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Ba ba ba bad-***. I wish you drove a C43. So very impressed.

If you don't mind, where did you get your high flow cats? Thats pretty much what I'm looking for in terms of 200cel cats.

Keep up the good work
I took the X-pipe out because: 1) I didnt like the sound the exhaust made and 2) it was a magnaflow 3" X-Pipe with a very large cross section.. Lost alot of torque with that.

I replaced it with the "H" pipe you see at the front of the old exhaust. That is what we are going to put on this new one. The "H" produces a deeper exhaust tone.. We just arent sure if we are going to put the H at the front where it was before, or if we should move it further back where the distance between the 2 pipes is shorter.

Good luck on your project! Custom work is fun, but at the same time very costly and tedious! My hat's off to you for tackling it also.

BTW, I see you've got your own quest going... Looking for 400rwhp.. Good luck with that too!!

Originally Posted by pshek
Very cool pictures. I'm doing something similar to my car. Going to change the exhaust to 2.5" stainless from the 'less than 2" diameter' exhaust thats currently on my car. Why did you remove the horizontal pipe between the two downpipes (the one with the X)?

My project will be to change the exhaust to 2.5" stainless, delete primary cats, replace secondary cats with high flow cats, add an X-pipe, and remove the spare tire well for real quad tip exhausts. I already have a set of shorty headers being made for my built motor by Josh at HOP, which have larger primary tubes compared to the rest on the market. After seeing a $3500 Kleeman V8 header last week, I wasn't impressed by the size of the primary tubes. They're small and dinky looking (I could have wrapped my thumb and index finger around them easily).
Old 08-09-2006 | 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Did the X-pipe make it sound like an American muscle car, like a deep rumbling note? I just want more power and less restriction, the exhaust note is not as important for me. I was going to use Magnaflow mufflers, and ditch my restrictive Eisenmann. I basically want a high flow muffler that isn't ridiculously loud, or am I asking too much?
Old 08-09-2006 | 11:22 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2006 | 05:06 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The X-pipe makes it a bit smoother.. It doesnt pop as much on decceleration.

Everyone argues back and forth about the merits of X vs H... I am not an expert so I dont know which one is better... I am using an H for now.. Might do some testing later by swapping out for an X.

Magnaflow makes good mufflers.. We are going to build a rear section right after this mid section is done.. I was going to experiment with the Magnaflow and see how it sounds.

Originally Posted by pshek
Did the X-pipe make it sound like an American muscle car, like a deep rumbling note? I just want more power and less restriction, the exhaust note is not as important for me. I was going to use Magnaflow mufflers, and ditch my restrictive Eisenmann. I basically want a high flow muffler that isn't ridiculously loud, or am I asking too much?
I plan on it.. But, I dont know if it will make a big difference in sound level. Believe it or not, the 3" exhaust I had on previously wasnt any louder than my stock one.. mostly because the mufflers do 90% of the sound muffling I believe.

I have the video camera charged up and ready!!

Originally Posted by Bux
Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2006 | 09:46 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
It's done!! It's Done!!!

Install scheduled for tomorrow afternoon... Dyno scheduled for 5min after install... I will have camcorder in hand!! Let's hope it sounds good on video..
Old 08-09-2006 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Don't forget to ask where your high flow cats came from ma man!!!
Old 08-10-2006 | 10:08 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I was just told that this 2.75" version is HALF the weight of the 3" I originally built... HALF!!!

We also changed the design of the H-pipe..

Here are a couple of quick pics of what is getting installed later this afternoon.

Old 08-10-2006 | 10:47 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I finished installing the exhaust tonight.. I couldnt grab good video because they worked late into the night to finish it for me.. This thing works GREAT!!!!

I know I sound like someone tooting my own horn... but.. let me tell you.. previously having the 3" exhaust on the car, and then going back to stock for over a month and now going to this 2.75" I can say with certainty that the car is much more violent in acceleration with a free flowing exhaust. Less throttle input needed to move the car... Those 4 cats on the car really choke it down.

Something I didnt think about before, but, the installers commented on it.. When they took down my stock exhaust the 2 of them had to hold it to get it down to the ground.. They both went to pick up the new exhaust, and both immediately said "WOW! This thing is so light!" .. LOL.. I didnt even think to weigh the 2 of them.. They commented that it is AT LEAST HALF the weight of the stock one.. Anyone know what a stock exhaust weighs?? This thing is super light! I think I dropped 20lbs or 30lbs easily. Added bonus.

Here are a few pics and a short video clip of the car.. Tomorrow I will shoot some REAL video of drive-by and acceleration runs so you can really hear it!!

This video is with VRP Exhaust, stock mufflers, resonator deletes..

VIDEO: http://69.17.158.20/vrus/video/VRP_Exhaust_Rev.wmv

Last edited by vrus; 08-10-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2006 | 10:54 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
WOW!! Two thumbs up! Beautiful job.
Old 08-10-2006 | 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I'm so very impressed with what you are doing with E55 mods. I can tell you have fun doing this!!! Please don't forget to ask where those stainless 200cel cats came from. Thing is, I need tiny ones like that to fit into the stock primary location.

Even though I don't drive the E55 model, I can really appreciate what you are doing for the AMG communtiy. Good for you!
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
nice job! i would imagine just getting rid of the cats and resonators would be responsible for the lost 20-30lbs.

any cel's yet???
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:59 AM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
an awesome job well done! the system sounds very good from the video, and while i'm sure it frees up some power, seems to me like it still suits a classy vehicle and hasn't ruined the e55. best of both worlds! always made sense that these 600+hp e55's had some restriction with the exhaust system, and short of the $7k+ european full exhaust systems, there wasn't much available until now. much respect for originality and being a pioneer!
Old 08-11-2006 | 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Sounds good...but you need to get new muffler as well...

Any Dyno Results yet ???

What kind of european exhaust system ??? is there any diff with US car ???

Victor...did you know that EURO car dont have any DYNO mode

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 08-11-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2006 | 09:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks guys!! Shot a little more video this morning on the highway.. When I get home tonight I'll review it..

I do have a CEL because I dont have the primary cats installed.. I dont really care because I will get the cats programmed out in my ECU update.

I am not sure if I will replace the mufflers or not. For now I will do some testing the way it is.. I will attempt to do another dyno hopefully today.. It cooled down a bit, so hopefully if the cooling system isn't working properly, it will function better with the cooler weather.

Mike: When he said about the European exhaust systems, he meant buying full exhausts from Supersprint or Kleemann or Eisenmann.. They charge from $9,000 to $12,000 for their exhausts.. This one can be copied for $2,400..
Old 08-11-2006 | 10:36 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I asked him when I talked to him.. He told me he ordered it from one of his suppliers but he didnt tell me the make & part #.. He just said it was a 200cell count metal matrix 4" canister. He sells them for $129USD each. Do you want me to get some for you?

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Please don't forget to ask where those stainless 200cel cats came from. Thing is, I need tiny ones like that to fit into the stock primary location.
Old 08-11-2006 | 11:43 AM

wow nice almost sounds like a 12k exhaust !!!

It would be nice to hear it on the road with a load on the car. Cant wait to hear it and see a dyno. I am definantly in on the exhaust also.
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:09 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks David! I might be able to fullfil your request later on today.

I am also working with the builder of the exhaust to see what it would take to get it at a $1995 price tag complete with 2 or 4 cats, depending on the customer's needs. We'll see what he says.

We scrapped the idea of making the cats removeable (at least the top ones anyways) because of the angle of the bends, we were worried it might not seal properly.

The bottom cats I might still attempt as a removeable set and supply the straight pipes to swap in also.

Here is my status on this project right now (just so all the cards are on the table):

- Original 3" exhaust cost to make (parts & labour) $3,100 CDN. They made 3 or 4 different iterations and the labour to re/re and redo was expensive. No jig was made for the prototype.

- This 2.75" version.. Jig cost me $1,800.. Exhaust was $2,400. (Burns stainless supplied all the material and it is very good quality).

The deal I made with the guy who built it was that I was to get $200 out of each one that was sold until I recouped my costs. After that he owns the jig.

So, basically, if I end up selling 9 of them I get back the money on the jig.

I would like to sell off my 3" prototpe version for $950USD if anyone wants to experiment with it. Just the 2 random tech cats were $500USD alone. It works great.. Great flow and my dyno of 472rwhp 547rwtq was made with that exhaust.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
wow nice almost sounds like a 12k exhaust !!!

It would be nice to hear it on the road with a load on the car. Cant wait to hear it and see a dyno. I am definantly in on the exhaust also.
Old 08-11-2006 | 01:45 PM

thats great Vrus.

For me personally I would want the cats. Mostly because I dont have someone here to program the check engine light issue.

Does the Check engine light require the 2 cats or the 4 cats for it not to come on?
Old 08-11-2006 | 02:27 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Just 2 cats.. The cat is sandwiched in between 1 set of O2s.

There are 2 choices with that.. Run 2 cats at the top in the stock location and keep the O2 sensors there.. Or put the cats where I have them and move the O2 sensors to the that location and extend the O2 harness.

Kleemann has done this before and says it works fine with no CEL. That would be the preferred location for the cats because at the top of the manifold they really choke down the breathing.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
thats great Vrus.

For me personally I would want the cats. Mostly because I dont have someone here to program the check engine light issue.

Does the Check engine light require the 2 cats or the 4 cats for it not to come on?
Old 08-11-2006 | 09:29 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I didnt get a chance to do the drive-by acceleration runs so you guys can hear/see the car with the exhaust... The only video I can show you is a short acceleration run on the highway..

NOTE: This video was filmed on the German Autobahn. I have no idea who's car or video this is.

They say the best performance measurement is 60mph - 120mph acceleration runs.

Start Speed: 107km/h = 67mph ..... End Speed: 182km/h = 114mph.
Start Frame: 2.20sec ..... End Frame: 9.21sec.

With the car not running at its best it did 67mph - 114mph in 7sec. Not too bad.

http://69.17.158.20/vrus/video/VRP_E..._67-113mph.wmv
Old 08-12-2006 | 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

how is the sound inside the cabin at various speeds/rpms?
Old 08-12-2006 | 10:31 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Zero drone or resonance.. Remember, it still has the stock mufflers so most of the sound is muffled.

It has a nice throaty growl down low.. You can hear it in the video I posted when it was travelling at 100km/h and was sitting at 2,000RPM..

Originally Posted by chiromikey
how is the sound inside the cabin at various speeds/rpms?
Old 08-12-2006 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vrus
Zero drone or resonance.. Remember, it still has the stock mufflers so most of the sound is muffled.

It has a nice throaty growl down low.. You can hear it in the video I posted when it was travelling at 100km/h and was sitting at 2,000RPM..
i know the video is probably not a real accurate representation but it sounded stock. i thought it might have a little better/deeper/louder sound without the resonator or choke down cats in place.
Old 08-12-2006 | 12:24 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yup.. With the windows up, its only slightly louder than stock inside the cabin.. On video it is hard to hear a difference.. The revving video gives you a better indication of sound level.. I am planning on doing some drive-by video hopefully on Monday.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i know the video is probably not a real accurate representation but it sounded stock. i thought it might have a little better/deeper/louder sound without the resonator or choke down cats in place.
Old 08-14-2006 | 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Vrus why those cats are so cheap ???

if my Priamry Cats would be removed, do you think I should get those as well to replace my Secondaries or I will loose POWER with little backpressure ???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 70mm Stainless Exhaust Coming Soon!! ***