Ceramic brakes option/delimit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Ceramic brakes option/delimit?

Is it possible to ask the dealer to remove the 155mph speed limiter on an E63? I heard it can be done but is expensive and they will only let it go to 186mph due to tire limitations. 155mph just seems a waste as it's nice to stretch the legs of your car once in a while, albeit rare. I don't drive around at stupid speeds when there's other vehicles but an empty "airstrip" is sometimes too tempting.
I'd like to know is it an option and how much does it cost?

Second question is about brakes. Why don't AMG offer carbon ceramic brakes? Also the S65 comes with twin-pot calipers, doesn't that mean that they'll fade quicker than 4 or 8 pots? Are they noisy?

I'm still deciding between E63 and forthcoming RS6 (more likely). I'd probably like ceramic brakes and a definitely a delimit so i'd appreciate some views.
Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
To the best of my understanding, MBUSA will not modify the delimiter. Some members claim to have had it done in Germany, by the AMG Manufactur but i have not verified this. What I think is possible for you is to get the 030 package, which does include the limiter raised to 185mph? MB and or AMG WILL NOT raise it higher than that, and I am positive on that.

The E63 comes with composite rotors in the FRONT only. The 030 package includes composites front and rear.

Ceramics are no longer an option at all. I tried. Answer was that not enough market, so go figure.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thanks, Jangy. Strange about the ceramics not having enough of a market in Mercs view. Many around here would order even if they didn't track, purely to get one up on their next door neighbor!
Are your brakes stock? How do they fare on the track with repeated hard use? Are they composite or steel? I'm asking so many questions as I fully intend to track my next car just as I did my p-car (which had steel discs which did not fade) and want to get the order just right when I return to spending big bucks on a car.
I know the new S8 has an expensive ceramic option so the RS6 certainly will, I just need to know if it's worth it were I to go the Audi route. I've heard horror stories about cars like the M6 which is a bigtime car with smalltime brakes (powerful but huge fade when tracked)
By the way i'm most grateful for your input
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thanks, Jangy. Strange about the ceramics not having enough of a market in Mercs view. Many around here would order even if they didn't track, purely to get one up on their next door neighbor!
Are your brakes stock? How do they fare on the track with repeated hard use? Are they composite or steel? I'm asking so many questions as I fully intend to track my next car just as I did my p-car (which had steel discs which did not fade) and want to get the order just right when I return to spending big bucks on a car.
I know the new S8 has an expensive ceramic option so the RS6 certainly will, I just need to know if it's worth it were I to go the Audi route. I've heard horror stories about cars like the M6 which is a bigtime car with smalltime brakes (powerful but huge fade when tracked)
By the way i'm most grateful for your input
I've driven the AMG cars pretty hard and they did start to show temp signs at the end of the day, but the fade was actually minimal. Not so bad for OEM setup. i am getting Floating composite rotors, soon..most likely EVO, so i expect a real upgrade in them. That plus an LSD would be a must have for a tracker.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 AM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
030 Package would be a good move - Vmax raised to 186mph. Possibly some lowering, and stiffer suspension calibration gains with the package, as well.

Brabus will also do it here in the USA for you - probably to about the same attainable top speed of about 186mph -- but I have heard from a couple of people that it is to 178mph....

On the brakes.... 030 Package may be an improvement here as well; I would also look into Kleeman, Brabus, and RennTech - as well as Evo.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Thumbs up

I'd go for ceramic brakes if you'll be keeping the car for a long time as they last the life of the car. Wouldn't worry about the noise, they won't squeak like Porsche brakes can't be any grouchier than M-brakes! Annoyed audi are the 1st to offer ceramics but i guess /// and AMG will have follow on at least.

spoke to my guy at BM and he said you can get the delimiter removed if you moan enough about it and are willing to pay. Apparantly the mechanics can do it as the dealers but I didn't trust them with my car so left it at 155 which im sure will please carrera owners whose only advantage is the absence of a speed limiter
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I heard that about Brabus too. I don't understand this 186mph thing (which they say is beacuse of the tires) as Bentleys weigh 2 1/2 tonnes yet are able to hit their dynamically restricted limit of close to 200mph.

Jangy, you're quite right about LSD. I think i'm right in sayiing that's a factory option with the 63. Is LSD a benefit with 4wd cars too? A friend has a Focus RS in England and the LSD makes it a bit of a handful on the roasd but a dream on the track.

Clay, I don't want to mod the car and want to get it just right from the factory but thanks for the suggestions. If i change my mind I'll certainly look them up. Also, if 186mph is actually 178mph then I really will have to start breaking some ***** in the dreaded showroom. Have you had chance to test drive the E63 yet? I don't want to schedule a test drive in case I end up signing on the dotted line as really should wait another year and see whether or not the RS6 lives up to expectations.

By the way, Transferred, since we're on about brakes, lets not be trying outbrake any Carrera's eh! Just kidding, manual M3 with performance pack is a sweet ride.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I heard that about Brabus too. I don't understand this 186mph thing (which they say is beacuse of the tires) as Bentleys weigh 2 1/2 tonnes yet are able to hit their dynamically restricted limit of close to 200mph.

Jangy, you're quite right about LSD. I think i'm right in sayiing that's a factory option with the 63. Is LSD a benefit with 4wd cars too? A friend has a Focus RS in England and the LSD makes it a bit of a handful on the roasd but a dream on the track.

Clay, I don't want to mod the car and want to get it just right from the factory but thanks for the suggestions. If i change my mind I'll certainly look them up. Also, if 186mph is actually 178mph then I really will have to start breaking some ***** in the dreaded showroom. Have you had chance to test drive the E63 yet? I don't want to schedule a test drive in case I end up signing on the dotted line as really should wait another year and see whether or not the RS6 lives up to expectations.

By the way, Transferred, since we're on about brakes, lets not be trying outbrake any Carrera's eh! Just kidding, manual M3 with performance pack is a sweet ride.

You are right about being able to get the LSD as an option on the E63. Just be sure to get the 030 "performance" package. Since you are not into modding, it is a great option. There are some performance differences between the AMG LSD and the Quaffe, the main being that the AMG is a 40% lock, versus the progressive on the quaffes. Absolutely, you can use LSD on a AWD. You may need up to 3!!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 AM
ON PROBATION

I think that jangy and I are in agreement that you should get the 030 Package on an E63 if you do get one.

Just to clarify: I think that the Brabus delimit is only to 178mph, plus-or-minus -- I believe the AMG delimit to deliver a Vmax limit of 186 mph on the E55 or an E63.

If I were you I would do the E63 with the 030 Package, and then go from there with any consideration of further mods IF you feel the need to...and I do doubt that you will feel the need to.... I don't consider an AMG E to be a track car; but if you will use it often enough as one you will just have to find out if it has any weaknesses or limitations which you will consider addressing after some use. I do think that the 030 Package will do from the factory more than a little bit of what one would normally need to address in going to the track with a new MBZ.

I have not yet driven the E63. I am seriously considering an E63 Estate (or wagon) - am considering an E63 sedan....

And I wouldn't choose - and haven't chosen - an RS6 over an E55 or E63 unless I was living in snow country.

Last edited by ClayJ; 08-01-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I think that jangy and I are in agreement that you should get the 030 Package on an E63 if you do get one.

Just to clarify: I think that the Brabus delimit is only to 178mph, plus-or-minus -- I believe the AMG delimit to deliver a Vmax limit of 186 mph on the E55 or an E63.

If I were you I would do the E63 with the 030 Package, and then go from there with any consideration of further mods IF you feel the need to...and I do doubt that you will feel the need to.... I don't consider an AMG E to be a track car; but if you will use it often enough as one you will just have to find out if it has any weaknesses or limitations which you will consider addressing after some use. I do think that the 030 Package will do from the factory more than a little bit of what one would normally need to address in going to the track with a new MBZ.

I have not yet driven the E63. I am seriously considering an E63 Estate (or wagon) - am considering an E63 sedan....

And I wouldn't choose - and haven't chosen - an RS6 over an E55 or E63 unless I was living in snow country.
I may be returning to England next year where the cold, inclement weather would make AWD the only sensible choice in a torque laden car with over 500bhp. If i stay, then the E becomes much more of a competitor. I'm leaning towards the forthcoming Audi simply because I like the understatment. That is not to say the E55/63 is not subtle, it is, but it's just a personal preference. I do like the 63 and of course it is the up to date model, though I prefer the side badging and wheels on the 55 and the 516lb/ft. I've got a lot of thinking to do, but if the RS6 delivers the rumored 550bhp then I won't be able to resist.

030 package sounds like a must-have on the E. I'm not expecting either the RS6 or AMG to handle quite like my 996TT on the track, but I think they're lot better there than they're given credit for.

Jangy you must pursue your quest for the GT3. Selling my P-car was unwise, in hindsight, but it just didn't make sense for me to have more than two cars. Also go for the G500, my girl loves it and I find it genuinely fun to drive when i'm behind the wheel. Not sporty fun, but fun nonetheless.