Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** CA Speedway Drag Day Confirmed - 9/15 - Sign up Here ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Loren on this. Pass on the nitrous unless you want to clean up the mess somewhere down the road. Unfortunately you can only do so much proactive work to "prep" for nitrous. It is the variables that you cannot control that ends up causing the engine failures.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
And absolutely all of what you've listed was in my car as well. It would only activate if A) I was above 3k rpm and B) when the throttle was pressed to the floor, e.g., the "click". Yup, been there. Additional injectors, upgraded fuel pump... remote bottle valve openers... it was quite the setup. And who did it? None other than SoCal Speedshop... doesn't get any better than them... they have NOS systems in their back pocket.

http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/index2.html

Here's the thing with NOS... like sdsilverm3 said, you can't account for everything. The 5.0 V12 I blew up has been considered one of the strongest stock engines in the last couple decades... a horse. Everything else around it will die before its internals will.

NOS merely amplifies whatever failure you have... and has deadly results. So, pretend you're on it, everything is fine... NOS kicks in and you're feeling on top of the world. Now, lets pretend an injector clogs, dies, or suddenly has diminshed capacity (this is what happened in my case). Or a fuel pump goes. Pick your poison... there are dozens of things that can and will go wrong over the life of the car.... usually when you're pushing it. BAM, the ECU cuts back everything to safegaurd things... but what's this? The NOS system, infinitely slower in its reaction time to AF ratios and temps compared to our engine ECUs... takes a moment too long to deactivate. And even then, your dry or wet shot is still in the actual intake being pushed into hot pistons that now no longer have gas flowing. Boy its hot. BAM, there she blows.

This isn't as rare as you think. Even the solenoids that actuate the NOS fail with considerable frequency. I'll never forget one day when I had just run, pulled over and was just idling... then my idle went through the roof... I was f'ing redlining and wasn't even touching the gas!!!! What the hell???? I turn the car OFF and it is still going like a bat out of hell. The valves were stuck open, NOS was going in even when the car was off... it was so hot in there it was actually spinning my engine as it detonated... just like a starter motor would turn it over, NOS was doiing the same with left over fuel vapor. It was freaky. BAM everything in the intake ignited... the backwards detontation actually burned my two air filters! One solenoid caught on fire after over heating, melted, and fried the wiring harness for the NOS. So much for those fuses they put in. Crazy stuff for sure.

NOS is one wacky wildcard... just when you think you've managed everything and have covered for every possible angle, it invents a new one. Its addicting and so much damn fun, its almost worth blowing up an engine... if you have the cash to burn. I was shocking the pants off of everything that moved. Picture a 91 BMW 850... basic sexy land yacht... with a 3.91 M5 rear end and a V12 on NOS? Much faster than a stock E55, it was hysterical on NOS.

Then darkness. I'm still rebuilding this engine to a 6.0 stroker motor... still with NOS if I want it... but I'll probably never use it again...

Loren

*** CA Speedway Drag Day Confirmed - 9/15 - Sign up Here ***-dragon.jpg

[QUOTE=BENZGal]
Originally Posted by Loren
haha... well, that's entirely up to you...

I don't like NOS, and wouldn't touch my E55 with it. I've had it in several engines... all of them ended badly after a few months... no more NOS for me...

but I do have several bottles, brackets, nozzles, actuators... a warming kit even... if you're looking for parts...

Loren

Ouch! I have taken the proper measures to avoid the damage from NOS. My system will be done by one of the best in the field and he is hooking it straight up to the throttle. It also have custom software that will activate the NOS at the correct time. I am having a switch installed that will shut the bottles when I am done to avoid a build up of pressure. They are also doing a fuel system upgrade.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Can we get 100 octane at the track or some place nearby?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Can we get 100 octane at the track or some place nearby?
Hmmm, interesting... there's a place with Trick racing gas out by me... I could fill up my car on the way down and maybe bring a 5 gallon tank with me... or a couple of 5 gallon tanks ...

but I don't know of anything near fontana...

Loren
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm, interesting... there's a place with Trick racing gas out by me... I could fill up my car on the way down and maybe bring a 5 gallon tank with me... or a couple of 5 gallon tanks ...

but I don't know of anything near fontana...

Loren
Loren,

If will fill it up out here with 100oct so my ECU get used to it. If you could do that... I would be very grateful. Because there is absolutely no way I'll have enough gas to run on from Vegas. Just let me know the cost when we get there.

Did you look into drag radials? Fit any to fit the 18's?

-Josh
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM

05 E55
Loren,

If will fill it up out here with 100oct so my ECU get used to it. If you could do that... I would be very grateful. Because there is absolutely no way I'll have enough gas to run on from Vegas. Just let me know the cost when we get there.

Did you look into drag radials? Fit any to fit the 18's?

-Josh
no, I haven't decided on DRs yet... open to suggestions... I'll try and grab some 100 on race day...

Can you help me round up the last 3 cars? Its been a lot of work emailing everyone back and forth all day long... any other types of cars? Anyone willing to post on a Z06 board or something?

Loren
Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will definitely help in rounding up the last 3 cars. I might be able to get a CL65. I'll call him tomorrow.

For the drag radials... probably have to go with some BFG's. It would be nice to have a set there for some comparisions.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:31 AM

05 E55
I will definitely help in rounding up the last 3 cars. I might be able to get a CL65. I'll call him tomorrow.

For the drag radials... probably have to go with some BFG's. It would be nice to have a set there for some comparisions.
I'm at a loss... Toyo RA1s look really appealing (see DJe55's video at 11.39)... and I actually have some pilot sport cup 265/19s I could just throw on my existing wheels... they are R compound afterall.

So, dunno... some people like Nitto 555s. I'd love straight slicks!

Loren
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys -- we now also have a 911 TT and a CLS 55 AMG attending.

Loren, they paypal you payment tonight or tomorrow. Please be on the look out for it.

-Josh
Old 08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys -- we now also have a 911 TT and a CLS 55 AMG attending.

-Josh
This is gonna be one awesome track day!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:30 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
This is gonna be one awesome track day!
This is going to be an EPIC track day! Just think ... we've put together a drag day all the other boards have talked about... dreamed about... we'll be answering all the questions everyone on every one of these boards has be wondering and guessing about. Check out this lineup!!!!!

Paid & Confirmed:
1 - Loren - E55 K2
2 - Jay55 - E55
3 - SuperM5 - M5
4 - JRocket - E55
5 - DragonAMG - E55 K2
6 - mercadoM6 - M6
7 - sdsilverm3 - C55
8 - E63AMG - E63

Pending, but pretty much locked per DragonAMG
9 - ??? - 911 TT
10 - ??? - CLS 55

That's our lineup! 2 E55 K2s, 2 stock E55s, an M5, M6, CLS55, C55, E63, and a nice 911 TT (650hp I believe).

Hey... think I should let some car mags in on this? Charge them admission for testing they should have already done... we're covering a much wider range / comparo than they do... old E55 versus new E63 versus M5 & M6 & CLS55.

Someone pinch me. We should do a webcast...

Loren
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Loren, u are correct, this is an unprecedented event!!! P L E A S E, u must take vids of this. better yet, if someone knows a professional video guy, that will be the S H I T. u guys that are there would each get a copy of a professionally shot video that will be "priceless". damn, i wish i lived in Cali.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's our lineup! 2 E55 K2s, 2 stock E55s, an M5, M6, CLS55, C55, E63, and a nice 911 TT (650hp I believe).

Hey... think I should let some car mags in on this? Charge them admission for testing they should have already done... we're covering a much wider range / comparo than they do... old E55 versus new E63 versus M5 & M6 & CLS55.

Someone pinch me. We should do a webcast...

Loren
That would be sweet... I'm sure if you told Luxury & Exotics LE Mag (they are a sponsor on this board) about this event, they would probably send a writer/photographer to cover it. They are always looking for good new content.

We are going to be able to capture so much great video!!! Exciting stuff!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:36 AM

CLS55
can I get in on this or is the list full?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:34 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Dogshine
can I get in on this or is the list full?
The list is officially final!

Paid & Confirmed:
1 - Loren - E55 K2
2 - Jay55 - E55
3 - SuperM5 - M5
4 - JRocket - E55
5 - DragonAMG - E55 K2
6 - mercadoM6 - M6
7 - sdsilverm3 - C55
8 - E63AMG - E63
9 - Ryan - 911 TT
10 - Ryan- CLS 55

HOLY CRAP this is cool! Ok, now, does anyone want to suggest / help with the little things like food (we must bring our own), getting a professional videographer / photographer (imagine the 10 car group shot made into a poster), contacting mags / considering PR for the event (it would make a great story for any car mag, no matter what angle you shoot for: performance, new versus old, stock versus mod, BMW versus Benz, crazy people dragging 100k cars verus normal people's brain functions, etc, etc), drag radials, racing gas, and anything else I haven't thought of?

I'm thinking of bringing stock AMG rear wheels and mounting BFG Drag Radials on them for all 55s to share if they want. I'll bring a floor jack & torque wrench as well. I also ordered a brand new Snell SA2005 helmet (XL) that I can lend those that don't have one.

I could also bring sandwiches, drinks, etc... in the new little RV I got...

Am I missing anything? If this goes as well as it looks on paper, I will make it an annual event... and talk to them about more than 10 cars (which is possible... called a grudge match... but is much much more expensive). Here are the specific rules for the track rental, by the way.

Loren
--------------

California Dragway Street Legal Rules

Tune Car Radio to 104.7 FM for announcements
ALL NHRA STREET LEGAL RULES WILL APPLY AND GOVERN THE EVENT (NHRA Rule Book supercedes all California Dragway rules)

NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OR GLASS CONTAINERS PERMITTED AT ANY TIME! If you bring it in a cooler, it will be confiscated.

Basic Technical Requirements
Vehicle must have current vehicle registration; license and a valid proof of insurance (must have all documentation with you at time of registration). Cars can be brought into the speedway on trailers and approved racing slicks are permitted. All vehicles must enter off of Cherry Avenue. The speedway is located at 9300 Cherry Avenue, Fontana. Cost - $10 per person to enter the speedway and $10 for a Tech Card to race your vehicle ($20 total).

Under 18: Anyone under 18 years of age must have a parental permission form completed to race. The form must be signed by both parents unless one parent has sole custody, in that case one signature will be accepted. If the parent(s) are not present on race day, the form must be notarized and submitted at registration. The form must be an original, no photo copies or faxes accepted. New in 2005, you will only need one form signed per year. You will be issued a card which will be good from January to December of the current year. This card must be presented at tech and registration to show you have a form on file.

10-Second Rule: There is a 10-second flat ET rule. No cars quicker than 10 seconds will be allowed. (If you need an NHRA Competition License to drive your car at an NHRA Drag Strip, it is too quick for California Dragway during a Street Legal event.)

Vehicle: No water, fuel, oil or trans leaks.

Electronics: No aftermarket electronic devices allowed (throttle stops, delay boxes, etc.)

Exhaust: Must be routed through street legal muffler(s). All runs will be monitored on a decibel meter (100db at 100" from the strip). If it is too loud you will not be allowed to run. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is your responsibility.

Tires: Approved racing slicks are permitted, as well as street legal DOT approved treaded tires, front and rear required on all vehicles. Tires will be inspected for overall condition.

Wheels: All wheel studs, with lug nuts required. Broken or missing studs/lugs must be replaced before racing. Hub caps/wheel covers must be removed for inspection.

Lines & Hoses: All fuel, transmission, brake and power steering lines must be secure and free of leaks. Neoprene fuel lines limited to 12” overall.

Radiator: Overflow catch tank (16 oz. minimum) mandatory on all vehicles and no leaks.

Driver: Must have valid state driver's license. Driver & Passenger: No shorts, bare legs, tank-tops, bare torsos, or bare feet permitted when racing. (Insurance Requirement).

Helmet: Required in all vehicles faster than 13.99 seconds. Helmet must meet SNELL 95 or better standards (must have label inside of helmet). NOTE: In January 2007 the requirement will be SNELL 2000 or better.

Seats: Must be securely fastened to floor or frame with minimum 4 attaching bolt and nuts. No sheet metal screws.

Seat Belts: All cars and trucks must have as a minimum an O.E.M. type lap belt system, securely mounted to frame or floor.

Batteries & Ballast: Batteries must be secured per O.E.M. or with minimum of two (2) 3/8” diameter bolts (no straps, bungee cords, wire, etc). Loose ballast is not permitted on the racetrack, so be prepared to empty trunks and interiors of all loose items. Spare tires, jacks, etc. must be securely mounted or must be removed. Tools, jack stands, coolers, loose speakers, wheel covers, etc. are considered loose ballast and are not permitted on the track. If you don’t need it, or don’t want to leave it unattended, leave it at home.

Neutral Safety Switch: All vehicles must be equipped with an operational neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch prevents the vehicle’s starter from turning the engine over unless the transmission is in park or neutral (or unless the clutch pedal is depressed with a manual transmission).

Nitrous Oxide: Bottles must be stamped as meeting DOT 1800-pound standards and must be securely bolted to the frame or floor (no bungee cords, hose clamps, etc.) All fittings, hoses, etc. must be compatible from same manufacturer, vented to outside of driver compartment.

Roll Bars & Cages: Roll bar required in any vehicle running between 10.00 and 11.49 E.T. (convertibles between 11.00 and 13.99). Roll bar/cage structures must meet minimum NHRA standards as found in the 2004 rulebook.

Motorcycles: Must be registered for the street, front and rear brakes, chain guards, ignition cutoff switch, and functioning snapback throttle mandatory. Any pressurized container (air shifter bottles, nitrous bottles) must be stamped as DOT 1800 pound standards. Leather jacket, gloves and leather (above ankle) shoes mandatory (up to 120 mph; over this speed full leather is required).

Convertibles: All racers participating with convertibles that are quicker than 13.99 seconds MUST wear a helmet.

Note: When elapsed times are quicker than 11.99 specialized racing equipment is required. For example, when a roll bar or cage is required, so is an approved 5-point harness assembly. If you know or suspect that your vehicle will exceed these ET limits, we suggest contacting the NHRA Tech Department at (626) 914-4761 with your questions.

After Tech Inspection
Move your car forward and walk to the "Tech Registration booth” where you will sign a release of liability, get your restricted area wristband and run card. Once you have completed registration, return to your car to have your number applied to your windows. You may now find yourself a “pit” location (10’ X 20’) max per car.

Hear the Call
Tune your car radio to 104.7 FM for the PA announcements. All categories will be called to the staging lanes in groups of 50. The group number is on your run card. Please DO NOT come to the lanes until your category is called. Be sure to bring your “RUN CARD” and have all safety items in place with seat belts on. Also, leave all loose items out of the vehicle.

Staging Lanes
When you are called to the lanes, go to the back of the staging lanes and you will be directed to a lane. At the front of the lane you will be asked for your “RUN CARD”, get it punched and proceed as directed.

Burn-Out/Staging
You will be directed to the “water box” where a 5 second burn-out is permitted. On the staring line official’s signal, roll your car forward until the top two small yellow bulbs on your side of the tree are lit. STOP. You are now staged and ready. When the tree is activated, you will see 3 amber bulbs flash .500 seconds apart then GREEN. Try to leave on the last amber bulb for a better reaction time but be careful not to leave too early or you will red-light.

Finish Line
After crossing the finish line, let off the gas slowly and apply the brakes. Stay in your lane and exit at one of the two (2) exits available, the right lane should exit first even though you may have to wait on them. If you feel you cannot make the first turn off to your right safely, go to the next exit at the end of the track. DO NOT DO A U-TURN ON THE TRACK.

Quiet Please
In our continued efforts to be good neighbors, we will be enforcing our “zero tolerance” policy for decimeter readings over the limit. Please be considerate of what our neighbors think of us when leaving the facility. Drive Safely!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auto Club Dragway Rain Policy
In the event of rain or precipitation in the area of California Dragway, Speedway personnel will not start selling tickets for spectators until after it has stopped raining. There will be no refunds for spectator tickets once purchased.

For Street Legal racers, if you purchase a tech card and do not get an opportunity to make a pass due to rain, speedway personnel will stamp your run card and it can be used at a later California Dragway race. If you get at least one pass in and have a punched run card, there are no refunds.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What a great assortment of cars we have attending!!! I've got a grin from ear to ear.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Wow

I am soo jealous. I wish i lived in Southern Ca so I could bring my E63.
You guys have to post tons of results, pics etc here for the rest of us to look at.

Also, I have a friend (friend of a friend actually) that is the creative director for all of Primedia (which includes automobile magazine, road and track, and about 50 other automotive enthusiast mags).
I am going to email him and see if he wants to have one of his mags there for the event...

PT
Old 08-26-2006, 04:50 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by pterion
I am soo jealous. I wish i lived in Southern Ca so I could bring my E63.
You guys have to post tons of results, pics etc here for the rest of us to look at.

Also, I have a friend (friend of a friend actually) that is the creative director for all of Primedia (which includes automobile magazine, road and track, and about 50 other automotive enthusiast mags).
I am going to email him and see if he wants to have one of his mags there for the event...

PT
That sounds interesting...

By the way folks, I just bought BFG drag radials... 275/35/18 which I'll mount on stock AMG wheels for those interested in seeing how the DRs improve things. A small donation to the drag radial cause at the event would be appreciated... they cost $412 for the pair...

Loren
Old 08-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Is there a restriction on spectating? I didn't get in on the race but I don't live too far away and curious if they will let spectators come????
Old 08-27-2006, 03:14 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by 05PewterE55
Is there a restriction on spectating? I didn't get in on the race but I don't live too far away and curious if they will let spectators come????
yes, PM me your full name, cell phone, and email address and I'll put you on the spectator list...

Loren
Old 09-01-2006, 02:12 AM

05 E55
BFG drag radials are here... I will bring them for all to use... at least those that can fit them on their car. Helmet is brand new Snell 2005 as well.

Anything else?

Loren

*** CA Speedway Drag Day Confirmed - 9/15 - Sign up Here ***-helmet.jpg
Old 09-01-2006, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very nice Loren... I'm starting to lose sleep in anticipation!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Loren,

What size are the DR's?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:22 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Loren,

What size are the DR's?

275/35/18 ... I'll have them mounted on my stock wheels, so they'll fit all the E55s... probably the CLS55 that's coming as well...

Loren
Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

any updates on media coverage?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** CA Speedway Drag Day Confirmed - 9/15 - Sign up Here ***