W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final post on SLR Cams. 512RWHP 684Torque!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jakpro1, you're hilarious!

BTW: Do you have a partnumber, that might be easier to compare, no?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I picture these back alley meetings with men in trenchcoats in the darkness over in Europe. "You got the cam gear" "Yeah, I got it....you got the suitcase"

I'm still laughing at the validity........it sounds TRUE!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Hey Jim,

I'm only as positive as what the AMG rep told us.

Here are the part numbers we have:

SLR Cam related Parts
---------------------------
Cam sensor = 004 153 9628... $215 (same as E55)
Cam gear = 113 052 0001 … $80 (different)

I ordered the Cam Gear for you.. It will be coming with the TB shipment from Germany leaving tomorrow.. I gave everyone until tomorrow to confirm if they want TBs, so my shipment will leave Germany tomorrow..

I'll let you know when I get it and I'll ship it down to you via Fedex air. You can pay me later once I get the bill for everything.

P.S-> You crack me up with the underground parts stuff!!! LOL.. I had another good laugh on that one!
P.S.S-> Who knows.. Maybe that's what is really going on over there when I make the calls to order stuff.. LOL..

You sure on that V?? They brought out an SLR cam sensor and we tried it.

It was a black type of plastic while ours was metal on the end. We couldn't mill the SLR one, so we ground down the E55 sensor.

On the cam gear, they were getting, "not sourced out of Germany" messages on ordering. If you can snag one for me, please order it ASAP and I will pay for all charges with shipping.

My mechanic wants to have regular checkups now just to see how things are going and if we need to swap the gears, we will do it.

It's like you have this black market AMG parts underground going on.

How are you doing it? I picture these back alley meetings with men in trenchcoats in the darkness over in Europe. "You got the cam gear" "Yeah, I got it....you got the suitcase"
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by vrus
P.S-> You crack me up with the underground parts stuff!!! LOL.. I had another good laugh on that one!
P.S.S-> Who knows.. Maybe that's what is really going on over there when I make the calls to order stuff.. LOL..
So vrus is the original Men In Black? LOL That was pretty hilarious what Jim said. lol
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the Cam Gear for you.. It will be coming with the TB shipment from Germany leaving tomorrow.. I gave everyone until tomorrow to confirm if they want TBs, so my shipment will leave Germany tomorrow.
Don't these engines use two cam gears?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've always been using a 17% drivenline loss factor because that's what most people argue is the correct #.. Its conservative, but, it shows Jim's car is at 617hp..
Yes except not a single auto on planet earth has 17% driveline loss. the best 5/6speeds are 17% for front engine rear wheel drive. For rear engine transaxle cars the best is 15%. and for auto's the typical auto will have a driveline loss of 20-21%. Benz does make hte best autos so theres might be 19% at best. but definitely its not 17%, not even close (believe me i wish it was).
Old 09-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
ahahaha... too funny!

Originally Posted by JamE55
So vrus is the original Men In Black? LOL That was pretty hilarious what Jim said. lol
Damn.. I hope not.. I only ordered 1... Jim didnt say anything about needing 2 of them... I'll call Germany again.. Thanks for the catch!

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Don't these engines use two cam gears?
I know.. I was using 19% driveline loss from the beginning but I got flack for it.. Everyone kept saying that was too high so I reduced it to 17% and figured thats what everyone else is using for comparison.

Better to be conservative I guess...

Originally Posted by OmeyHomey
Yes except not a single auto on planet earth has 17% driveline loss. the best 5/6speeds are 17% for front engine rear wheel drive. For rear engine transaxle cars the best is 15%. and for auto's the typical auto will have a driveline loss of 20-21%. Benz does make hte best autos so theres might be 19% at best. but definitely its not 17%, not even close (believe me i wish it was).
Old 09-07-2006, 04:44 PM
dsc

2004 E55

Again, please just make sure you know what you are getting into before messing with these. I love modding and the 1800-2000rpm idle I have now with one stall in traffic so far is just part of the fun.

Jakpro1,

Do you still have such a high idle? Doesn't that make the car tought o drive intraffic and beat on the trans? Is there a way to get the idle back down to normal?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Uhh, will these fit in an E63?

Really, I would like some for the E55 but I think we need some more from JackPro, LIKE A TRIP TO THE TRACK!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:01 PM

2005 E 55 Amg
[QUOTE=JodyE55Rocket;1745425]Victor,
He also mentioned this, I am not sure if that is correct but he said why don't I just grind my E55 cam to the specs of the SLR one and it would be much cheaper,QUOTE]

Did anyone listen to Jodye55rocket. If you had the exact specs of the SLR cams why couldnt we just have regrinds made from our stock cams. It seems to me like a viable alternative.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
[QUOTE=Gunite;1747258]
Originally Posted by JodyE55Rocket
Victor,
He also mentioned this, I am not sure if that is correct but he said why don't I just grind my E55 cam to the specs of the SLR one and it would be much cheaper,QUOTE]

Did anyone listen to Jodye55rocket. If you had the exact specs of the SLR cams why couldnt we just have regrinds made from our stock cams. It seems to me like a viable alternative.
lol...that's why i said this:

Originally Posted by chiromikey
wow!!!

it sucks that now you're going to have to remove those to give us the specs.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No.. And even if it did, I wouldnt put them in.

SLR cam is an F/I optimized cam.. The overlap and duration are made for cars that run F/I.

An N/A cam has a completely different profile. If you put an F/I cam into the E63 it would run like crap.

Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Uhh, will these fit in an E63?

Really, I would like some for the E55 but I think we need some more from JackPro, LIKE A TRIP TO THE TRACK!!!!
I wouldnt recommend it... For the price of the core (E55 Cams) and then the money to get someone to regrind them, it would be cheaper to just buy the SLR cams in the beginning. Unless of course you want to leave your car down for a few weeks while this whole procedure is being done.

For me, its more worthwhile to just buy new cams out of the gate and then sell of the E55 stockers.

Originally Posted by Gunite
Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
LIKE A TRIP TO THE TRACK!!!!
Oh it's coming, but only after Mr Throttle Body comes to visit.

Hopefully track in bout 3-4 weeks. Not expecting DerekFSU numbers but if I can get mid 11's, life will be good. It's really not so much the cams (probably 25-30hp) , as much as just doing what basically 90% of tuners and even many guys on the forum said was impossible.

Okay, some breaking news on the cams.

MBUSA heard about this and called my dealer. Quote from someone at the dealer, "They about ***** their pants and can't believe it was done. They were asking questions about how we did it"

How friggin cool is that?

I am wondering if there is a rush on SLR cams and cam gears if MB will shut them down, but for now, party on gentlemen.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 09-07-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Okay, some breaking news on the cams.

MBUSA heard about this and called my dealer. Quote from someone at the dealer, "They about ***** their pants and can't believe it was done. They were asking questions about how we did it"

How friggin cool is that?

I am wondering if there is a rush on SLR cams and cam gears if MB will shut them down, but for now, party on gentlemen.
i wonder if that means they're lurking around here???
Old 09-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Well if they are MAKE A LIGHT CAR WITH AN AMG ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Well if they are MAKE A LIGHT CAR WITH AN AMG ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Light??? Mercedes does not know what the definition of light is.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:13 PM

Damn.. I hope not.. I only ordered 1... Jim didnt say anything about needing 2 of them... I'll call Germany again.. Thanks for the catch!
That was really more of a statement than a question. Since the gears bolt onto the cams, there has to be two. At first, I thought it was a little unusual that there would be two different part numbers for cam gears for the same engine, especially considering that the cam sensors are the same. I'm thinking that the SLR cam probably has a different phasing than the stock E55 cam, and that phase difference is incorporated into the gear. If so, you really don't want to mix them on the same engine. Depending on the magnitude of the phase difference, all kinds of ugly could occur.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gunite
This probably is not doable. First, these cams are not ground from a piece of billet, they're hydroformed using tubular steel. This may preclude re-grinding the lobes. Second, re-grinding cam lobes reduces the diameter of the base circle of the lobe, which means an OHC engine would require an adjustable rocker arm system to use it. I have not seen an E55 system up close and personal, but I suspect they use a fixed preload on the lifters that is not adjustable.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 PM

SLR cam is an F/I optimized cam.. The overlap and duration are made for cars that run F/I.

An N/A cam has a completely different profile. If you put an F/I cam into the E63 it would run like crap.
Victor, Victor, Victor,

OK, I don't who told you this, but I would stop listening to that person. A cam ground for a F/I engine will run just fine in a N/A engine. As you mentioned, the primary difference is the overlap. A F/I cam typically has less overlap, which, if used in a N/A engine, will cause a smoother idle and move the torque curve a little lower in the usable RPM band.

There's really no F/I-specific duration or profile. It's based on the engine designer's choice. Typically, F/I engines don't need as much duration or an aggressive lobe profile, since boost is available to help fill the cylinders. Duration and lobe profiles are chosen based on the engine's intended usage (i.e., where does the power band need to be in the RPM range).

If you install a F/I cam in a N/A car, that car will run strong in the lower and mid RPM range, but run out of steam a little sooner at the upper RPM range. It certainly won't run like crap.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55

I wouldnt recommend it... For the price of the core (E55 Cams) and then the money to get someone to regrind them, it would be cheaper to just buy the SLR cams in the beginning. Unless of course you want to leave your car down for a few weeks while this whole procedure is being done.

For me, its more worthwhile to just buy new cams out of the gate and then sell of the E55 stockers.

Victor, typically cylinder head flow is what determines your best cam profile. The e63 has a four-valve high flowing head so it will have a more aggressive cam profile. On a modded e55 with some head work that cam profile could easily extend the power-band.

Either way the slr cams and e63 cams are physically not interchangeable.

Last edited by rflow306; 09-07-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:19 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Just had to let you guys know.

the car can do with nearly no wheel spin in the 1/4. YOU READY...car pulled 11.06 with a 60' of 1.4.

What kind of tires did you use? I must assume drag radials? 1.40 60-foots are incredible for a low 11-second street car.
Congrats!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by meegle
What kind of tires did you use? I must assume drag radials? 1.40 60-foots are incredible for a low 11-second street car.
Congrats!
He didn't do that on a track. The dyno predicted that as an outcome based on the HP and TQ ratings.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Originally Posted by can drive 55
He didn't do that on a track. The dyno predicted that as an outcome based on the HP and TQ ratings.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Guys...Will ECU needs to be adjusted fpr those SLR CAMS ??? How ???
Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
If they are - all I can say if SBC fails on my car they will pay through their ar*e to compensate me.....

For f sake MB sort this SBC system out once and for all..... or at least have an effective back up system....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Final post on SLR Cams. 512RWHP 684Torque!!