Stablemate for the E55??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Jangy, if you looked at Nobles follow through and try and get a test drive. My friend lives in Leicester and is a designer for Lee's company. He tests them on backroads and says nothing is as sorted. Interior is a little iffy but chassis, gearbox etc are superb. The M400 is 407bhp/tonne. They are built with a meticulous attention to detail even Porsche GT3's can't match. They won't hold there value like a GT3 and will be difficult to service but you said you liked "extreme."

The Noble is as happy on the road as it is on the track and there are few, if any, other cars you can say that about.

BTW, as for off roaders, don't discount the Range Rover. That thing is almost unstoppable on 18s, as is the LR3. They also double up as fine transport for 4 people too.
Actually, the interior is what turned me off of the Noble. I guess I assumed the rest of the car had a similar attention to detail.Maybe I should revisit the idea? I already know the ride is raw like I want. We'll see. Maybe I'll drop by and check one out this weekend up close. Not sure which model they have in stock.

The Aston DB9 was an option, but fell off after a ride. The handling just isn't there for me and the acceleration is even a bit low (considering the E55). The looks however are nearly tops, but looks are last for me.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
What about a Z4 M, if its a second car, might as well make it a fun track/canyon carver. What about a radical/arial atom, or the new Noble M15? Youve already got a fast straight line care, might as well get something to track around in or carve the canyons with. If you dont like that, what about an AMV8 Vantage?
The Z is a bit ehhh for me. What the heck is an atom? I'll look into it.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E55 AMG (my dailydriver)
jangy--you have good taste in cars

My 993tt is a perfect stablemate for my e55.

These two are perfect complement for one another. E55 is comfy going fast in straights....it's more relaxed. 993tt (with proper suspension setup ie. PSS9 or Moton) can be really fun in the twisties and those twin turbos are there to give you a good rush when required.

With your budget you'll have more than enough left over to do some serious mods. Current market for these 993tt is little bit softer now than say 6 months ago all thanks to 997tt's recent debut. A good example and well sorted out car can be had for $65K - $75K. $80k- $85K will get you an unmolested with low mileage.

Would not recommend a 993tt-s unless you plan to keep it as a museum display.

Allow me to tempt you with a few pics:

Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Is the atom road legal here?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Yup, about $75K for the 993 is what i was thinking. The earlier white one for over $100K scared me off, since it is so close to a 997tt price.

What are the stats on a 993tt? What years were they made and any to stay away from or must have?

p.s., nope, don't mind you guys making my choice. I need the been there done that expertice.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZO
Honda Del Sol

Originally Posted by jangy
Actually, the interior is what turned me off of the Noble. I guess I assumed the rest of the car had a similar attention to detail.Maybe I should revisit the idea? I already know the ride is raw like I want. We'll see. Maybe I'll drop by and check one out this weekend up close. Not sure which model they have in stock.

The Aston DB9 was an option, but fell off after a ride. The handling just isn't there for me and the acceleration is even a bit low (considering the E55). The looks however are nearly tops, but looks are last for me.
They are right up your alley and there are tons of parts/upgrades available. They will have problems beating an e63 but is that what really matters???
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
They are right up your alley and there are tons of parts/upgrades available. They will have problems beating an e63 but is that what really matters???

You tooling about AGAIN??

Haha!!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 PM

BENZO
sadly yes

Haha!!
my wife went to the gym and i have nothing intelligent to add......so that is all you get! I am going to go back to reading about reef tanks, sad but true for a Friday night!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 PM

BENZO
sadly yes

Haha!!
my wife went to the gym and i have nothing intelligent to add......so that is all you get! I am going to go back to reading about reef tanks, sad but true for a Friday night!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM

BENZO
sadly yes

Haha!!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
OK, back to the G500 vs RR Sport. Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
None of the above! This 993tt would look perfect in your garage! http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...78#post2784878

Nuff said.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by L8Apex
None of the above! This 993tt would look perfect in your garage! http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...78#post2784878

Nuff said.

It is a little higher in miles than I wanted, but it is GORGEOUS!!

I'll contact them as well.

I made an offer of $83k for the one that was listed at $103k, we'll see.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
G500. Were I to own another Range Rover (I had a BMW engined 4.4 when they first got released in England) I would make sure it was the fullsize version as there's no point being apologetic about your size of off-roader or, as I believe you have already said, pretending it is a sports car. Sport looks fresh but, to me anyway, is a little played out and fraught with image problems.
While I am still a big fan of RR, and they are HIGHLY capable off road, be aware that sooner or later (probably sooner) you will have problems. I think the warranty is now std 5-years but that's no substititute for not having your car in your driveway. Electrical problems in three yrs of ownership are too numerous to mention but engine shut down to 4-cylinders at 10k and had to be REPLACED at 40k, while gearbox was also problematic. I sold it shortly after as it was still playing up. Not trying to put you off, and they're Jag owned now but just being honest.
Haven't took my G500 (hope g/f doesn't see that) off road yet but by all accounts it's even better than the RR. If there's any parts of the undercarriage etc you need picks of just let me know. It's raw, full of character and we're very pleased overall. Its black/black, just the way I like my vehicles and i've kept it stock. G is color sensitive, be sure you really want white.

Yeah I would totally think about the Noble again. It takes a committed purchaser but all they have is sasisfied customers, as far as I have heard anyway. My friend's an engineer not a designer (i'm incapable of typing fast) and i could get hold of him and then pass you his contact details if you become serious about the idea as he knows far more than me? Just remember, they are a relatively new, privately owned company and engineering excellence not interior is where all their money went. But don't be alarmed, the attention to detail overall is a world removed from the high on flair-low on everything else TVRs of this world.

If you had an E55, a G500 and a Noble in your garage you would have every base covered in the best possible way. Of course wifey may need some persuading!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 AM

14 'E550
Ariel Atom? Yes, its street legal........but not sure if in every state.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
G500. Were I to own another Range Rover (I had a BMW engined 4.4 when they first got released in England) I would make sure it was the fullsize version as there's no point being apologetic about your size of off-roader or, as I believe you have already said, pretending it is a sports car. Sport looks fresh but, to me anyway, is a little played out and fraught with image problems.
While I am still a big fan of RR, and they are HIGHLY capable off road, be aware that sooner or later (probably sooner) you will have problems. I think the warranty is now std 5-years but that's no substititute for not having your car in your driveway. Electrical problems in three yrs of ownership are too numerous to mention but engine shut down to 4-cylinders at 10k and had to be REPLACED at 40k, while gearbox was also problematic. I sold it shortly after as it was still playing up. Not trying to put you off, and they're Jag owned now but just being honest.
Haven't took my G500 (hope g/f doesn't see that) off road yet but by all accounts it's even better than the RR. If there's any parts of the undercarriage etc you need picks of just let me know. It's raw, full of character and we're very pleased overall. Its black/black, just the way I like my vehicles and i've kept it stock. G is color sensitive, be sure you really want white.

Yeah I would totally think about the Noble again. It takes a committed purchaser but all they have is sasisfied customers, as far as I have heard anyway. My friend's an engineer not a designer (i'm incapable of typing fast) and i could get hold of him and then pass you his contact details if you become serious about the idea as he knows far more than me? Just remember, they are a relatively new, privately owned company and engineering excellence not interior is where all their money went. But don't be alarmed, the attention to detail overall is a world removed from the high on flair-low on everything else TVRs of this world.

If you had an E55, a G500 and a Noble in your garage you would have every base covered in the best possible way. Of course wifey may need some persuading!
Actually, the wife loves the G as well. I am almost certain I will get one as I need the off road car. She could also drive it if she wanted. I am assuming she will stop that soon as the G is a true truck, but either way i don't mind as long as she knows that the paint will get scratched up.

I am serious about the noble. I am supposed to see a used one today. All I care about is drivetrain issues, and I have heard nothing bad (yet)
The RR Sport is the wife's desire and I will never own one without full warranty, but I see what you say about the empty driveway part.

Realistically speaking, how about a new G500 for the wife / me and a 993TT used for my carving needs?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
OK, here is the latest status. I am thinking get a G500 so the wife will back off. AND get a used 993Cs, C4s, or TT depending on the specimen that I find. They are still very pricey and I think I'll spend about $50 - $80K depending on model.

So, the new question becomes...take a used 993C4s OR a new 997w/ the aero package?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
The Atom is very much road legal, infact the weekend before i left for this horrible state, i kinda feel like ClayJ im in the boonies waiting for permission to leave , i was running through Lake Hughes road and was passed going the opposite way a bunch group of 2 Lotus Elise, 1 Exige and a ARIEL ATOM! With the money saved buying a Atom you could buy your wife a RR Sport, which is an excellent vehicle. Also I sorry not to diss the 911 but its major problem is that every one has one. I know the 993 Turbo is very rare, but outside of us car people no one will know what it is. Now an Atom will geet you gazing onlookers from miles away. Get the Supercharged version if your man enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDsAGd7uj8
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
OK, here is the latest status. I am thinking get a G500 so the wife will back off. AND get a used 993Cs, C4s, or TT depending on the specimen that I find. They are still very pricey and I think I'll spend about $50 - $80K depending on model.

So, the new question becomes...take a used 993C4s OR a new 997w/ the aero package?
I'm not going to lie to you, i'm a wide-bodied 996 fan. TT is very easy to mod, while C4S will provide a lot of handling thrills in the twists.

However, between 997 and 993 I would for sure go 997. You can't beat the feel of a new car either. Aero kit can actually take away from driving experience though, as front lip will bash ground on less than perfect roads and suspension (not sure if included in U.S.) does not have enough travel. For the track it's good but in al other conditions it proves a hindrance. Spoiler looks a little GT3 wannabe too.

G500 is a great decision for what you want. Plenty quick enough and able to conquer mountains unlike the G55.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
jangy may i politely suggest this when it comes to the US? most fun you can have with your clothes on and a smoking track weapon. Make sure you get the sport pack

http://www.lotuscars.com.au/exige_s.htm

Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by WishforE55
jangy may i politely suggest this when it comes to the US? most fun you can have with your clothes on and a smoking track weapon. Make sure you get the sport pack

http://www.lotuscars.com.au/exige_s.htm

I'll look into the S, but I can tell you I smoked a tricked out Exige on some very tight twisties which just made me lose all respect for them. I assumed it would use me in the brakes and handling department and it simply did not. I could have easily passed him going into the turns and the entire car was just VERY unstable. Before anyone starts flaming, go over to the local lotus cluba and ask them about it as I think the guy was supposed to be some lotuc club hot shot.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
cayman s

I'm not going to lie to you, i'm a wide-bodied 996 fan. TT is very easy to mod, while C4S will provide a lot of handling thrills in the twists.

However, between 997 and 993 I would for sure go 997. You can't beat the feel of a new car either. Aero kit can actually take away from driving experience though, as front lip will bash ground on less than perfect roads and suspension (not sure if included in U.S.) does not have enough travel. For the track it's good but in al other conditions it proves a hindrance. Spoiler looks a little GT3 wannabe too.

G500 is a great decision for what you want. Plenty quick enough and able to conquer mountains unlike the G55.

jangy,
since you decided to get a g wag. i suggest that you get a cayman s. it looks better than a 997 IMO. and for about $6500 (milltec headers, cat back, intake, chip) it will put down 304rwh, 4hp more than a 997s on the same dyno. ive been researching the cayman for a while b/c i need a new car. they are much better balanced than the 911 and are easier to drive on the limit. not to mention they weigh 29XXlbs. i was ready to order a $73000 cayman s (14000$s in options, it was sick) but then i found a nice low mi nsx. now i cant make up my mind. i found a guy BH porsche who guaranteed me only $1400 over invoice on the cayman s, about 65000 for a custom ordered 73000 $ car. if you want his contact info pm me. the cayman is a better platform (than a 911) to start with. good luck

993tt>cayman s> any N/A 997 (excl. gt3)

if you want something really crazy then get a base 2.7 cayman (50000) and stick the 997s engine in there w/ headers and exhaust (380hp) the conversion is 21000 (incl. labor and a crate engine)and its fully serviceable at any porsche dealer.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM

'02 c230k coupe
Elise + G500
Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
AMG_55- good points you made about the Cayman S. Don't forget it needs LSD too though as that is the only reason it doesn't lap tracks as quick as the more powerful 997. Carbon ceramics are a nice option too as Jangy wants to track.

BTW, saw your video of the ML63. New engine looks pretty healthy to me.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 AM

'02 c230k coupe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stablemate for the E55??