W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 Disappoints again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know man i think u should let ur friend drive the 63 & u take the 550. i think it was driver error.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by pterion
Huh?
I never said I was an engineer.

Wait as sec....

Ok I just went and checked and a framed degree from MIT on the wall in my office seems to indicate that I do have a degree in engineering.

But that is not the point. I just am confused as to how AMG would put out a E that is slower than the e550.

PT
I know MIT and I tip my hat to all the graduates.

The E-550 in question is a 4-matic which doesnt suffer from the wheelspin or crap traction. That would be good for a 0.5 second wouldnt it ?

I still dont buy into the idea that both cars are the "same" in all critical respects apart from the engine. Clearly the traction makes a huge difference according to one CLK55 owner who went with LSD and upgraded tread width. The ESP light was not as evident. Wheelspin is just not forward motion is it ?

I may be reading too much into the above self report.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by benzmodz
I know MIT and I tip my hat to all the graduates.

The E-550 in question is a 4-matic which doesnt suffer from the wheelspin or crap traction. That would be good for a 0.5 second wouldnt it ?

I still dont buy into the idea that both cars are the "same" in all critical respects apart from the engine. Clearly the traction makes a huge difference according to one CLK55 owner who went with LSD and upgraded tread width. The ESP light was not as evident. Wheelspin is just not forward motion is it ?

I may be reading too much into the above self report.
I agree the cars are not the same, and 4 wheel drive makes a big difference. My point is that it seems odd that AMG tried to make a different top of the line E class (the 550 being MB's top of the line) and failed at making it faster than MB's. Seems like a huge failure for AMG since what drives the sale of their cars is performance.

Oh well...I grow tried of this debate.
Time will tell what the 63 is capable of.

PT
Old 09-10-2006, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by pterion
I agree the cars are not the same, and 4 wheel drive makes a big difference. My point is that it seems odd that AMG tried to make a different top of the line E class (the 550 being MB's top of the line) and failed at making it faster than MB's. Seems like a huge failure for AMG since what drives the sale of their cars is performance.

Oh well...I grow tried of this debate.
Time will tell what the 63 is capable of.

PT
The V8 diesel is a very fast car. E400 IIRC. Dont know if it is a debate or a defective car .... time will tell.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by TopGun32
The next E63 scheduled to run will be next friday in "Fontana"
There will be a few stock E55's and the weather should be dry and warm. We will see if the NA really does pay off under hot weather conditions.
For a bit of it, Im going with what I heard and saw at AMG fest BUT they showed us a video, of an E55 and E63 draggin... I believe the E63 had an experienced driver, and the E55 did not... the E55 slipped a bit off the launch, where the 63 jumped right out in front. Once the 55 got going it paced the 63 pretty well, but it seems like given another 1/8 of track may have even over taken it. In any case they still ran about 12.7 or 12.8, I cant remember the exact time. Not being an experienced dragger I dont know how ***** to the wall they were going, but I bet both could be improved greatly.

After speaking with one of the design engineers at AMGfest, I seriously think right nows limiting factor for this car is the tranny. This engine is so much more of a beast, they even told us about a comparison they did of the E55 and E63 of Power Curves... VERY similar to each other

Dont get me wrong guys... I love the E55, Its an ICON, I think its the 2x4 MB used on everyone to say, who wants to play?

But I have a feeling this 63 motor is suppose to be more then just a stop light dragger... not specifically talking the E63 but I think this motor is something that MB is going to start hunting supercars with... Derrick I know you've run your car to its limits, how long could it stay there before it would start cooking? I would bet these 63s are designed to be able to sustain a higher average top speed for a longer period of time... Again not specific to the E63, but think about it, I think MB is gunning for the lambos and F cars of the world, this is just the first step, now they need to figure out what else they need to do, to de-limit these cars, to complete the theory

Last edited by 55fanatic; 09-10-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 911 C4S
is there any published 'ring time for the 63?