W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Spoke With ASP About Pulley Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly doublt the pulley will fall apart unless mis-installed one way or another. Might have been a dampening issue but ASP description said they revised it for the Mercedes.

Wasn't the dyno graph in the above post linked were before and after install of ASP pulley, if so it showed gained of whopping 50rwhp. But to be conservative we know by raising the boost w/o ecu shall net at least 30-35rwhp gain. Not bad for $895 price.

Wayne
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM

2004 E55 White
I sent ASP an email asking about the fuel curve with their pulley upgrade and no ECU change. I will post their answer when I get it.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM

I ordered mine yesterday... Can't wait to have it installed.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Going to install mine tommorow...Will tell later what I FELT
Old 09-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I highly doublt the pulley will fall apart unless mis-installed one way or another. Might have been a dampening issue but ASP description said they revised it for the Mercedes.
Stock factory damper is made from three parts.

- Inner hub that mounts to the crankshaft

- Rubber band that does the dampening

- Outter ribbed pulley that drives the accessories belt

On AMG Kompressor motors crankshaft damper drives the kompressor, which means that the rubber band has to support close to 100HP that it takes to spin the kompressor to redline.

A number of companies, including ASP, modify factory damper by machining away outter pulley and pressing on or welding on (ASP) a bigger diameter ring in order to increase compressor RPMs and thus increase the boost. Which also increases the load on the rubber band.

There have been a number of failures on this and other MB forums as well as other experiences from other users of other makes that had use this method to create larger pulley. Some failures have been very dramatic with extensive damage to the radiator and front engine cover. Some have were caught, due to excessive noise and did minor damage.

Now there have been some that lasted for a number of years without a problem. Since they are made on individual basis the quality of work is dependent on the skill and knowledge of who is doing the work. So far it has been very incosistent.

There have also been failures of stock, unmodified, dampers with rubber band separating and launching outter ring through the radiator, usually on high mileage cars.

Take your own chances.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the feedback Vadim. So in your opinion the correct way to raise boost with aftermarket pulley was to keep the factory spec dampener ring and make the outter pulley larger to undrive the compressor pulley right? I was under the impression the aftermarket pulleys were already made this way, if not then where does one find the larger dampening ring.

Since both stock and aftermarket outter main crank pulley (that drives the compressor) are both 2pc pressed onto stock main inner pulley, I am assuming as long as stock diameter dampener ring were retained longetivity shouldn't be sacraficed.

However, now there's also another issue if the factory 2pc pullies were 'dynamicaly balanced' in respective to their weight, then techincally speaking putting on the aftermarket pulley might ruin the balancing on the pulley, then everyone that put on the aftermarket pulley should send their main inner pullies out for balancing with the aftermarket outter pullies.

Wayne
Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
A proper way is to make a whole new damper which is larger in diameter. Any time you take a stock damper apart and put it back together, you stand a chance of things going wrong.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN

On AMG Kompressor motors crankshaft damper drives the kompressor, which means that the rubber band has to support close to 100HP that it takes to spin the kompressor to redline.

A number of companies, including ASP, modify factory damper by machining away outter pulley and pressing on or welding on (ASP) a bigger diameter ring in order to increase compressor RPMs and thus increase the boost. Which also increases the load on the rubber band.

There have been a number of failures on this and other MB forums as well as other experiences from other users of other makes that had use this method to create larger pulley. Some failures have been very dramatic with extensive damage to the radiator and front engine cover. Some have were caught, due to excessive noise and did minor damage.

Now there have been some that lasted for a number of years without a problem. Since they are made on individual basis the quality of work is dependent on the skill and knowledge of who is doing the work. So far it has been very incosistent.

There have also been failures of stock, unmodified, dampers with rubber band separating and launching outter ring through the radiator, usually on high mileage cars.

Take your own chances.

But then again there has also been a reported failure of the one piece design also.

The rubber ring on the the rear of the balancer is for dampening but the rubber ring on the crank pulley also serves another purpose. It helps with the load on the snout of the crank caused by the supercharger.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 PM

04 E55

Take your own chances.
Good info Vadim, which in any aftermarket pulleys do you sell?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Both types of dampers have issues.

One has vibration/harmonic issues.

One has inner ring rubber issues.

Pick your poison carefully... one just cost more.

MachC5
Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 PM

Hopefully these guys that install them will have some good feedback for everyone.

Gus//
Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Both types of dampers have issues.

One has vibration/harmonic issues.

One has inner ring rubber issues.

Pick your poison carefully... one just cost more
There is a third type. A totally new damper. It is called a friction damper and it has a wide range of frequency of operation. It is what I have had on my C32 and what evosport has been selling in their 55 Stage I and Stage II kits for over two years now.

www.evosport.com
Old 09-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

Anyone has picture of the ASP pulley and how it stands compare to the Evo Sport one? My guess is ASP is a one piece CNC 6067 or 7075 aluminum design, is the Evo Sport pulley a one piece design as well?

Vadim, so you would recommend the EVO one over any other ones on the market correct?

Wayne
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Insigno E55
Anyone has picture of the ASP pulley and how it stands compare to the Evo Sport one? My guess is ASP is a one piece CNC 6067 or 7075 aluminum design, is the Evo Sport pulley a one piece design as well?
I haven't seen the evosport up close but the asp is the same design as kleemann. they both have larger outer diameters afixed to the hub, asp spot welded and kleemann pinned.

this is the only thread i've ever heard hearsay of a problem so imho, you guys might be making too much about the whole thing.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I haven't seen the evosport up close but the asp is the same design as kleemann. they both have larger outer diameters afixed to the hub, asp spot welded and kleemann pinned.

this is the only thread i've ever heard hearsay of a problem so imho, you guys might be making too much about the whole thing.
Guys I have used the ASP pulleys in 2 of my cars already no problem as of yet, this is my testimony. The C32 had it for almost 1 1/2 years, the E55 I installed it 2 weeks ago and it seems the front wants to come off the car everytime I step on it. You can not go wrong for 800 bucks! I will dyno pretty soon just waiting for my headers.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
There is a third type. A totally new damper. It is called a friction damper and it has a wide range of frequency of operation. It is what I have had on my C32 and what evosport has been selling in their 55 Stage I and Stage II kits for over two years now.

www.evosport.com
A friction dampener, for example an ATI has been around for a very long time.

The stock MB balancer was designed for the engines rpm range, horsepower and supercharger. A better balancer would typically only be needed when our motors begin to spin past 7500 or if the engines horsepower increases substantially.

There is no arguing that the high performance dampeners are stronger ,hence they carry sfi approval. But their dampening advantage over a well designed stock balancer is always being debated back and forth.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Has there been any failures of ASP pulleys on E55's ?????

Can someone get LEE from ASP to jump this thread ???
Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Has there been any failures of ASP pulleys on E55's ?????

Can someone get LEE from ASP to jump this thread ???
I thought you were going to install your pulley set today???
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Iam scared Too much work today...tommorow my friend
Old 09-25-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Iam scared Too much work today...tommorow my friend
Dont be,ASP will be fine.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 PM

I just thought about something... A few weeks back I had some service done and I'm sure they updated the ECU, now when I install the pulleys will I get the full 45 HP with the ECU upgrade or will the updated block the extra HP?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
QUICKE55...ARE you going to put in the ASP pulley w/o an upgraded ecu??? i wonder how much power youll feel from thatt
Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 PM

No ECU upgrade for me... I don't want anyone messing with the brain to my baby
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by Insigno E55

Vadim, so you would recommend the EVO one over any other ones on the market correct?

Wayne
This is for the ASP pulley...a larger ring welded to the OE pulley and a smaller water pump pulley to make room for the modified one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=12

Go to evosport's site for their setup.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 PM

2004 E55 White
ASP replied to my email asking about the A/F curve with their pulley. They said that someone else dynoed the car before and after the pulley install and told them it was ok. It may be ok for them but not for me and my $$$ engine. Has anyone done a dyno with ASP pulleys with A/F?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Just Spoke With ASP About Pulley Upgrade