Twin Turbo Charge our 55's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Damn... You guys are killing me.... this is too funny... Remember that "BIG" project I hinted at a couple of times in another thread... well.. this was it.

I approached another member of this board about this very project.. LOL..

After I saw the video of Joe's GT TT (and I forwarded a link to the other member he was sold on the idea). We talked to the people who made the kit for Joe about building a kit for our car. I have the tuning equipment, and the "other member" was going to use his car as the prototype vehicle....

I was keeping a lid on this because the two of us haven't gotten far enough along in the discussions to figure out how we were going to work together on it.

I was targetting $14,999 as the retail price.. 2 x GT25R turbos, manifolds, custom intake plenum, enlarged TB (was looking into a 90mm), air filters, etc, etc, etc and a custom ECU tune.

How many of you guys are seriously interested in something like this at a $15K pricepoint?

I guess I better call him and have a serious chat about it. I'll leave his name out of it for now unless he decides to chime in here.
Is that installation included? Anyway I'd be more than happy to buy another e55 if this kit will be available. So how much hp would it approximately push?

P.s im surprised how cheap you can get one in US now!

Last edited by BoBcanada; 09-27-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Here is the video link for those of you who do not know who joe is. After watching you may also consider TT'ing your 55!

http://www.torquenstein.net/movies/i...s_JoesGTTT.wmv
OMG
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I still don't see the benefit. Giving up the low end grunt is almost sacreligious to me. Instead of comparing the options to a V12TT, why not just swap it out? If you are going to go that crazy, why not just add NO2? I simply don't see the advantage and I am one that HATES Turbo lag. To say we won't have it is crazy, given how the NA 55s perform. Why get turbos if we aren't going to get huge ones? It is all or none. Why on earth would anyone spend that kind of money to end up with similar performance? well, I understand VRUS is just curious and bored with the current setup, so i undertand that. But, I just don't see it as a great marketing idea. I'd be willing to pay for a tweaked out V12TT first. That is at least an upgrade.

Hey Victor, I have some killer handling components almost completed if you want to add them to your product list. i could be in charge of handling and cosmetics and leave the power to you??
Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Oh... I was confused... I thought you guys were suggesting adding twin turbos ontop of the s/c like that crazy **** in Dubai did to his C32. You guys are talking about replacing the s/c with tt's, right? If that is the case, I'm with Jangy... don't want to give up my low end torque.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Here is the video link for those of you who do not know who joe is. After watching you may also consider TT'ing your 55!

The car is just insane, Man imagine we had a 55 with 1012 WHP, we would own the streets lol!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
1. Guys here is the deal at whatever boost we run on the SC now we could run the same boost on turbos and get more power. All you have to do is look at the 600 class V12. Pretty much identical engines except its 32valve vs 24valve for 55K
That is not always the case. You should not look at the boost pressure (PSI) but compare the air volume (CFM). It all depends on turbo sizing/efficiency.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
TT a E55? You have no idea the headache that would be.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
TT a E55? You have no idea,what a headache that would be.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:08 AM

headache? It would be a headache to whoever lined up with you.
Say that to the people the have TTvipers or Ford GTs or etc.

This really is the unknown so I can see the hits as to not to do it. No one knows the right combo of turbo and fuel. Lots of unknown. But we already have a known the MB 600 V12turbos.

Drive a MB 600v12 turbo and see how much it lags? The power band on it is almost the same as our car but way smoother.

sdsilverm3: Yes you are right but if you compare the same CFM for both then most times the turbo will win. You of course wouldnt put turbos on the car the wouldnt flow enough air. Hence using Compressor maps and such.

almost 8-9 years ago this was a big issue with the supras. Lag vs instant stock turbo. If you have never owned a high HP turbo car then you really dont understand lag. It really is overated. Going from stock to single in that car was the most beautiful I ever did. Everytime I floored it brought a smile to my face. I bet it would be the same on something like this. Years ago 500rwhp in that car was just pushing the envelope. Now for a single supra 700 is the norm and I see it just getting higher every year.

Heffner might be a good place to start but I could see 50k price easy.

I also dont see the need to switch to TT if the perfomance is the same. But I am sure that wouldnt be the case. The potential is only limited by the tranny and fueling.

This is the next step imo. The SC is the road block. Either upgrade the SC or switch it to TT.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 AM

2018 E63S,
Originally Posted by JodyE55Rocket
The car is just insane, Man imagine we had a 55 with 1012 WHP, we would own the streets lol!

The car makes some power...but maaaan is the fabrication on that car UGLY.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300

OMG.... the reason for living. I wouldn't imagine what a well tuned TT 5.4AMG engine would put out. But then if you think about it it would be a waste as the tranny would never handle serious power like that would some serious upgrading or replacement of that box... I could be wrong, but I'm in heaven as we speak after watching the video...
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Considering the size of the 5.5, the lag would be minimal. We're not turbocharging a 2.0 litre 4 cylinders here, folks. Worse case, with a proper size turbo, the power curve would be more linear, but with tons more power. If I could get 600+rwhp on pump, I'd do it in a heartbeat!
$15k would be reasonable price point to me for that kind of power in my 4-door.That's almost 100rwhp more than the K4 upgrades are netting. I have a good feeling the engines are stout enough to handle 600rwhp, probably more. The cars were built with boost in mind. What we need to find out is the limits of the fuel system and who can tune the ecu.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300

OMG.... the reason for living. I wouldn't imagine what a well tuned TT 5.4AMG engine would put out. But then if you think about it it would be a waste as the tranny would never handle serious power like that would some serious upgrading or replacement of that box... I could be wrong, but I'm in heaven as we speak after watching the video...
Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by michakaveli

We know the tranny can handle the torque of the 5.5L V12 motors, so I think it will handle a good amount.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:59 AM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
if you get the right size turbo's combined with the torque of the v8 that spool up quickly it should minimise lag.. I have driven some twin turbo 6.0 litre LS1's and the lag is almost no existent.. if i had the cash for the car and the kit it would be awsome or the E63...
Old 09-28-2006, 02:19 AM

none
You E-Class driving guys are freakin' crazy...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by 55 ON IT
How about an engine swap with a v12 tt? It may be more cost effective. I could be wrong though. I'm confident you can get a few pennies for the 55k motor as well.
a complete 65 crate engine from MB costs $120K+. The 600 engine isn't much better at $90K+. A Used 55K engine will go for between $11K and $15K. A used 600 or 65 engine would probably be around $60-70K, but I've never checked, so I don't know for sure. That's one expensive engine swap!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by CoryU
a complete 65 crate engine from MB costs $120K+. The 600 engine isn't much better at $90K+. A Used 55K engine will go for between $11K and $15K. A used 600 or 65 engine would probably be around $60-70K, but I've never checked, so I don't know for sure. That's one expensive engine swap!

..............There have been several V12TT engines on ebay with buy it now price of $24K. These are out of S600's. Not seen one from an S65. The cost of the engine is not the problem. The problem for me is the ECU. I have been looking at doing this for a long time. Specifically, I want place a V12TT engine into an E-class 4matic. I am yet to find someone who can make the ECU work. I know there is a fella in I think in Orgeon, and I have spoken to him and was told that they are only able to do pre-2003 cars. I will be very interested in your comments on the ECu issue. Do you have a way to make it work? Thanks.

Ted
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM

CL65
Why get rid of the blower?

Compounding boost is pretty efficient. Adding turbos where the cats are and pumping boost into the throttle body and blower from the rear might be easier than we may think. We would definately need an intercooler upgrade. I'm not sure how much fuel system we have left, but all we're trying to get is an extra..... 200 HP or so? I am still entertaining this idea. Biturbo/Kompressor badge anyone?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............There have been several V12TT engines on ebay with buy it now price of $24K. These are out of S600's. Not seen one from an S65. The cost of the engine is not the problem. The problem for me is the ECU. I have been looking at doing this for a long time. Specifically, I want place a V12TT engine into an E-class 4matic. I am yet to find someone who can make the ECU work. I know there is a fella in I think in Orgeon, and I have spoken to him and was told that they are only able to do pre-2003 cars. I will be very interested in your comments on the ECu issue. Do you have a way to make it work? Thanks.

Ted
Hi Ted-

ECU is the comlicated part, as well as making that HUGE engine fit under the hood. Length is not the problem- width is, but I'm sure it can be made to fit. A W210 would be horribly difficult, a W211 a bit easier. The V12TT engine's use Bosch ME2.7.1, where most other cars use either ME2.8 or 2.8.1. I'm not sure about getting the ECU to work properly, but I can guarantee it won't be easy. These are semi-stand alone ECU's so you MIGHT be able to just buy the engine, harness and ECU from the same car, and plug everything in. The central gateway becomes the problem as far as coding changes. I've never really investigated the possibilities, so I have no idea if this will work. Brabus puts the V12TT in W211 chassis', so it IS possible. The W210 is a whole different ball game, and because it doesn't have a central gateway, it would be a very difficult task. $24K for a 600 engine is a steal.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hi Cory!!

Waaazzzzuuuuupppppp!!!

Hope all is well.

Jim
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
The Ford GT that you saw in the video was running a pair of GT35R turbos. I believe they were using 18psi of boost and they made 1012rwhp. The motor in the Ford GT is the same size as ours and has similar flow if not better (our heads flow poorly). It seems to react very well to those size turbos and doesnt appear to have any lag.

I was thinking GT25R or GT30R just because 1012rwhp on our cars is not doable without changing gears, diffs, transmission, etc.. BIG BUCKS! So, there is no point in using bigger turbos.

My end goal was 600rwhp - 650rwhp at Stage 1 and 800rwhp - 900rwhp at Stage 2. We wont know if the components in the engine (heads, pistons, fuel system, etc) will handle that much power so it will be a mission of discovery as we move through this (if we do it).

Since our cars are already built for boost, there is no concern with whether or not the engine will take the turbos. It will handle it just fine.

As for using an AMG V12 TT... Dont bother. I know you can buy a complete motor for $25K BUT.. Go and try and figure out the wiring harness and adapt all the signals to the E55's ECU, then go and find the proper transmission, hardened gears, diffs, etc.. Why do you think Brabus charges $267,000 for their conversion? That's why I didnt scoop up that V12 TT motor on eBay.. its easier to work with the V8 we already have than complicate things further with the V12.

Challenges

- I have an electronics engineer that is looking into a way to bypass the S/C clutch. Right now the ECU turns the clutch on and off.. We need to find a way to make the ECU think it is still there and still being actuated, even though it will be completely removed. The test will be to come up with a little black box to allow me to turn on & off the S/C clutch at will. If he can accomplish this, then I know that I can rip out the S/C, put the Turbos on and not have CEL lights all over the place (car will go into limp mode thinking S/C is not engaged).

- The second challenge is the wiring bypass for the famous bypass valve we have all been looking for. These 2 components need to be taken care of before you can pull the S/C out.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Marko,

You serious? I asked the guy that does the porting of my TB inlets about this.. They were building a Z28 with a custom STS TT.. When I saw it up on the hoist and saw those 2 turbos I asked him if he could replace my mufflers with 2 of those puppies and he said NO..

I'll call you later this afternoon about that other stuff and will chat about this as well..

Originally Posted by MarkoCL55
Compounding boost is pretty efficient. Adding turbos where the cats are and pumping boost into the throttle body and blower from the rear might be easier than we may think. We would definately need an intercooler upgrade. I'm not sure how much fuel system we have left, but all we're trying to get is an extra..... 200 HP or so? I am still entertaining this idea. Biturbo/Kompressor badge anyone?

Ok.. You and I need to chat about this if this moves forward.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
LOL I have been thinking of TT a E55 for a long time. It can be done.

But I think we need bigger turbos than GT25r. I can get compressor maps for pretty much any turbo and know a guy here locally that can hook us up with details on the right turbo for our application and power requirements.

I am in at that price. (did I really say that)
Everyone keeps making statements like this... LOL.. This was true WAAAAYYY back in the day... Not true today! This is entirely dependent on the compressor maps of the Turbo you are using.. Its all about choosing the correct turbo for the application..

With a properly sized turbo you can make boost at 1,200RPM.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
The power band is different with turbo's and s/c. You wont get the low end torque but you'll have crazy high end hp.
No.. That's just parts.

Originally Posted by BobCanada
Is that installation included? Anyway I'd be more than happy to buy another e55 if this kit will be available. So how much hp would it approximately push?

P.s im surprised how cheap you can get one in US now!
Shoot me an email and give me the details. Would be interested to hear what you've come up with.

Originally Posted by Jangy
Hey Victor, I have some killer handling components almost completed if you want to add them to your product list. i could be in charge of handling and cosmetics and leave the power to you??
Tell us something we dont know!! LOL..

Originally Posted by Exodus
You E-Class driving guys are freakin' crazy...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
What about a stand alone ECU like most of these import guys run?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's piggybacking right?
I don't know if there's enough market to pay for the R&D to crack the Benz ECU's to allow a piggyback on this right?

Or would piggybacking totally avoid having to crack the OEM ECU?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Charge our 55's?