Sponsored by:

I got rearended/Depreciated value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,
I got rearended/Depreciated value?

So.....Im sitting stopped with my left turn blinker on waiting to turn into a restaurant parking lot and an idiot pummels into the back end of my E55 (that I just got 2 weeks ago and new tags arrived today) with his 96 suburban. Right off the bat, he doesnt want to pay, he tells me he will fix it himself and that I dont need a new bumper. Granted at first glance, (Unless there is some sort of hidden damage) the damage is to just the bumper cover. The bumper is creased and and has permanent indentations from the impact. If that is the only damage from a GMC suburban driving into the back end of my mercedes at speed, Kudos to MBZ engineers. However, now I will NEVER have a clean carfax report. Does anyone here know about "Depreciated value"? Do insurance companies pay for that? If so what would you estimate that value to be?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette
Idiots in this world!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55
You can bet the farm there's damage concealed by the bumper if it is permanently creased and it was "pummeled" like you say. My M3's bumper was hiding all kinds of damage after I got rear ended by a 4,800 lb Buick Roadmaster. Hope you got a police report and all the proper documentation even if this was a minor bump. The damage is ALWAYS worse then it seems after you take it to a body shop, guaranteed. That dude must know he hit an expensive car and probably doesn't have insurance if he's offering to fix it himself. Maybe it was Boyd Coddington that hit you? Nah, Boyd has to have insurance. I don't want to know what this mishap does to the depreciation besides rapidly accelerate it, it can't be good. Call your insurance company ASAP. Sorry man, that really sucks.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
You are kidding right? You are going to let the guy fix your car so you will have a clean report? If I were you I would get his insurance and yours involve and have your car properly fix. Not all repair shows up in the report. Years ago I had my 1998 E430 side swipped by a junker, filed a claim and was repaired under insurance, and guess what I still had a clean report. Do it properly and get your car fix right. Then you worry about the report.

John
Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
If your bumper is the only thing damaged it can be replaced with prepainted parts from your dealership. I doubt that it would affect resale unless body work is necessary.

I got zapped by a little Chevy and checked into it. Fortunately I was able to polish off his paint and found that there was absolutely no damage. The bumpers can take a pretty good lick without significant damage.

Last edited by Vetluver; 10-07-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Are you leasing or own it? If leasing, the point is moot anyway. Have the insurance company(s) fix the car, fix it right, enjoy it until you have to turn it in and you don't have to worry about a thing.

If you bought the car, fix the car, be thankful you're OK, it sounds like it could be much worse, keep the records to show the new buyer, I think if the car is in great shape, fixed properly, it won't effect resale that much, who knows what the value of the car is going to be when/if you sell it anyway.

Just take a look at the various prices everyone on this board has paid for their cars, they are all over the map! I've been in accidents before, fender benders, and large collisions, refer the matter to your insurance company, it wasn't your fault anyway, have them handle the claim, that's what you've been paying them for.

Just my .02

Cyrus
Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
As mentioned above the most important question is "Buy" or "Lease". I'll assume "Buy". I'm familiar with this issue as I went through it all summer long.

[IMG][/IMG]

My wife was involved in a rear end accident on Memorial Day and after two months of wrangling, I found that in most states, insurance companies are not obligated to reimburse for diminished value. It sounds as if you're accident was not as severe as mine but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any compensation for diminished value. Luckily I was eventually able to convince the insurance co. to total the car. But if that had not happened, my loss of value to the car would have been between 15 to 25 percent of value prior to the accident. A great asset to this forum is,"RUDYRONO". He has lots of Ins. experience and advised me on several aspects of my claim. He may be able to help answer some of your questions as well.

The risk in loss of value in any accident has convinced me to lease my hi-line autos in the future. In case of an accident, you get it fixed and turn the car in at lease end, no hassles.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Exbeemer,
I guess I am not on here long enough to see what happened to your car, but damn, that was a big hit. Holy cow, if my wife were in the same situation as yours, she would probably pass out right on spot, and not to mention if I was being hit, I will probably jump out and beat the crap out of the other driver.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:34 AM

i own a shop dv claims do exist and ins. companies have paid them it's not easy though-take your benz to a quality shop have the rear bumper removed and have the car inspected for concealed/hidden damage. Have a repair estimate drawn up and submit to the driver when he see's the bottom line he'll probably want his ins. to pay-if not at least you have an estimate that reflects the damage, not all damage is reported to car fax. A sure fire way to keep it off car fax is not to involve ins. companies. I hope it works out for you.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 PM

S55 AMG '06
Diminished value is allowed in most states, but not by your own insurance company. i.e. if you hit a pole one night...you aren't going to get diminshed value from your insurance company. If someone hits you, you most likely can claim diminished value from their company. The big diminished value debate is really with regard to your own insurance company...not theirs. So, make sure you report the accident to both his and yours. If he doesn't have any, you may still be able to collect diminished value under your policy under the uninsured motorist provision of your policy. A variety of class-action suits have been filed and successfully won against insurance companies for failure to pay diminished value. There was a large claim won in PA several years back. So don't just take no for an answer if that's what they say. Take it up through several layers of management.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Chances are your insurance company won't pay for diminished value. It's usually a named "exclusion" on most car insurance policies. As for the adverse insurance company, it's unlikely that they will pay for diminished value because most states already have a substantial body of case law contra to diminished value claims. In your case, given the damage is very superficial, I wouldn't worry about diminished value. Take good photos. Keep your repair receipts and anybody will be able to see that the damage was not to the extent that would scare anybody from purchasing your car. Take it to the best shop in town so that the future purchaser of your vehicle can see that it was repaired by the best and that's that.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vetluver
If your bumper is the only thing damaged it can be replaced with prepainted parts from your dealership.

Unfortunately bumpers DO NOT come pre-painted.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
According to my parts man you can order the skin of the bumper in specific colors. Not the total bumper but the part most likely to be damaged. He might be FOS though.