W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeremy Clarkson reviews and falls in love with the Mercedes E63 AMG.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson reviews and falls in love with the Mercedes E63 AMG.

Sorry E63 bashers. But if Jeremy Clarkson loves the new E63. So it cannot be all that bad, can it?

Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

There’s a tiger in the middle manager’s tank
By Jeremy Clarkson: http://www.driving.timesonline.co.uk/

In the beginning, listening to an iPod was a solitary pursuit. No one knew what you had on there, so you could load it up with all your favourite tunes, no matter how embarrassing and sugary they might be.
But now you can plug your personal music library into all manner of systems and lay out the contents for the edification of your friends and family.

This is a terrifying development. We all have guilty secrets, things that we’d rather leave buried in the deep, dark, cobwebby corners of our heads. I, for instance, have always rather fancied Esther Rantzen and, worse, in restaurants I’m often tempted to ask for black forest gateau.

I’ll admit to these things. In fact I just have. But I would never have admitted, even to my closest friend, that I recently paid 79p to a man in America to download a rendition of Journey singing a tune called Don’t Stop Believin’.

I know it’s a terrible song. I know there’s a horrible segue in the middle. And I know too that the lead singer has a voice that makes you want to split his head in two with an axe. But secretly I like it, so one day, when the family was out and the house was quiet and empty, I downloaded it to my iPod and since then have spent many happy, albeit slightly guilty, hours on planes and trains listening to it.

But then one day at a party I foolishly plugged my iPod into a pair of loudspeakers. To begin with all was well. There was a bit of the Clash, some Clapton and a smattering of Joe Jackson. People tapped their feet approvingly.

But then on came Journey and one by one everyone stopped talking. Slowly their heads turned to me. “Did you download this?” “Yes.” “On purpose?” “Yes.”

Since that terrible night, my wife has been giving me funny looks. It’s almost as though she’s suddenly found out that I’m that silly Lib Dem bloke who went to a male prostitute. She thought she knew me. But since she found I have Kansas and Journey on my iPod she realises that actually she doesn’t know me at all

You could have cooked pudding on my face. And I knew that pretty soon we’d reach Kansas singing Carry On, My Wayward Son, which is even worse.

Since that terrible night, my wife has been giving me funny looks. It’s almost as though she’s suddenly found out that I’m that silly Lib Dem bloke who went to a male prostitute. She thought she knew me. But since she found I have Kansas and Journey on my iPod she realises that actually she doesn’t know me at all.

Nor I her. Because recently we were listening to hers, and in among the Dylan and the Yardbirds and the Cream I was assaulted — and that is the right word — by something called Basement Jaxx.

I can only assume that Mr Jaxx won a competition at some point to see who could make the worst noise on earth. It’s an extraordinary sound: like chewing on a mouthful of those polystyrene packaging ***** while Flo-Jo runs her fingernails down a blackboard the size of Lincolnshire, and Ireland wins the Glaswegian round of the world pile-driving competition.

I thought Mary J Bilge was bad but Basement Jaxx takes the art of annoying your parents to new and uncharted heights.

As a result I cannot have my wife’s iPod on in the house any more than she can have mine. She thinks I’m Mark Oaten. I think she’s mad.

And funnily enough this brings me on to the new Audi All Road. In essence it’s a slightly raised, slightly more rough-and-tumble version of the standard A6. It’s therefore a quiet 4x4, a subtle SUV and, it must be said, a handsome and inexpensive alternative to that gargoyle of a car, the new Q7.

I liked almost all of it a lot but, like my wife’s iPod, there was a landmine in the mix. As you drive along a small patch of condensation forms on the outside of the windscreen, right in your line of sight. This is the All Road’s Basement Jaxx moment, and it’s so annoying I’m simply going to dismiss the whole car as useless and move on to the AMG Mercedes E-class.

In recent years AMG, which is a sort of tuning division within DaimlerChrysler, has been fitting most of the cars in the range with its supercharged 5.5 litre V8.

It was an absolute animal of an engine. And the animal I have in mind is the hippopotamus. Most of the time it was benign and rather lazy but when poked with a stick it would become searingly violent, very powerful and extremely noisy. Even though it was, perhaps, slightly American in character I liked it a lot.

So I was a bit worried when I heard that it was being dropped from all cars except the SL, and replaced with a non-supercharged 6.3.

This is the engine that was fitted to the E-class I’ve been driving and you know what? I think it’s even better.

Some of the machinegun exhaust clatter has gone but so too has the feeling of heavyweight power. Despite its enormous size it feels light and agile and desperate to rev. And my God there’s some power: huge drums of it, creamy and delicious and easy to pour into any given situation.

The result is a car that’s preposterously fast.

It doesn’t matter whether you use the paddle shift or leave it in D, or even if you’re going backwards. It takes off in a manner that leaves you, your passengers and everyone within earshot genuinely staggered.

Staggered because it really doesn’t look like anything special. E-class Mercs are mostly bought by companies and chauffeur services that can’t quite run to an S-class. They’re middle management cars. You don’t notice them. And you won’t notice the 6.3 either, because apart from some slightly fancy wheels and rather more exhaust pipes than is normal it looks just like the E-classes that line up outside every media haunt at two in the morning.

Nor does it feel particularly exciting to drive.

It’s quiet, it’s remarkably comfortable, and it comes of course with the usual array of Mercedes gadgetry.

So how, you might be wondering, does it stack up to the BMW M5? Well, they both cost about the same, they both have four doors, they are both limited to 155mph they could both top 200 if they weren’t, and they both offer roughly the same sort of space.

I’d say that even though the Mercedes has more power, the M5 is a more thrilling ride. It really does feel very special when you’re in Exit mode, being suicidal. But I hear horror stories about the BMW’s electrics, and to live with every day the more refined, more grown-up Mercedes — I can’t believe I’m saying this — is the better bet.

You struggle with this E-class to find anything that jars or annoys, but don’t worry. I’ve come up with something.

The fuel gauge is a series of digital bars, and I’m sorry but that’s rubbish. Fuel gauges should always be analogue so, by moving your head, you can convince yourself that there’s more in the tank than the needle would have you believe.

When you’re down to one digital bar you don’t know when it’ll go out. And that means I’d spend my life spluttering to a halt at the side of the road.

In fact I did. But it’s okay. I had my iPod with me. So I just sat waiting for fresh supplies of fuel while listening, on my own, to Jackson Browne singing Running on Empty.

I think that one’s a bit embarrassing too.

Mercedes E 63 AMG

-Engine: 6.2 V8 32 Valve

-Power 514bhp @ 6800rpm
-Torque: 465 lb ft @ 5200rpm

-Transmission: Seven-speed automatic

-Fuel: 19.8mpg (combined cycle)
-CO²: 341g/km

-Acceleration 0-62mpg: 4.5sec

-Top speed: 155mph (limited)

Price: £66,545

-Rating:
-Verdict: Perfect, until you run out of fuel
Old 10-08-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Awesome!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Jezza is always right.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
only took half the article for him to actually talk about the car.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cte430
Who cares about the car, I like to hear / read his throughts because they are hilarious!
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (12-21-2019)
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
QUOTE: "I’d say that even though the Mercedes has more power, the M5 is a more thrilling ride. It really does feel very special when you’re in Exit mode, being suicidal. But I hear horror stories about the BMW’s electrics, and to live with every day the more refined, more grown-up Mercedes — I can’t believe I’m saying this — is the better bet. "

that sounds just about right, great review!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by vraa
Who cares about the car, I like to hear / read his throughts because they are hilarious!
maybe it's me. When i read an article on cars I'd like to read about...oh, maybe cars?

I actually like him on TV but his schtick grates on me in print.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 PM

I think people like him on TV because he's tempered by his two co-presenters. Their chemistry is probably the best thing about Top Gear- Clarkson's solo videos are similarly grating like you described.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Why was Vraa banned? Wasnt he a moderator?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Why was Vraa banned? Wasnt he a moderator?
He's just messing around with the member titles. Yesterday he had something along the lines of omgwtf*$#!!11.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Alpina B7
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! I havent laughed that hard in days! I didnt read a word about the car, I was laughing so hard about his secret admiration for the high-voiced singers that are late 70s/early 80s american rock and roll. Surprised not to hear about Rush. HAHAHA!! In all seriousness, great to hear that someone appreciates it! Maybe MB gave him a fully unlimited one with the gear ratios of the ML63?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
He is a bit of a Benz fan though - had the SL55 and the now SLK55 I think ... so he is partisan ... makes no real mention of the E55 to compare with - other than say - he thinks its better in somewhat of a surprising tone...

Having said this he did bash his SL55 pretty hard on a variety of issues...

Anyhow ... he does talk allot of amusing BS - but his conclusions are usually bang on the money - while his justifications are often very dubious...

Nice article ... notice he does not mention any reported gremlins the eclass is noted for e.g. SBC... perhaps becuase it is now gone and forgotten ?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
maybe it's me. When i read an article on cars I'd like to read about...oh, maybe cars?

I actually like him on TV but his schtick grates on me in print.
We have different intentions then.
I read / watch Top Gear for the commentary, it's always great.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by vraa
We have different intentions then.
I read / watch Top Gear for the commentary, it's always great.

I agree. I think Clarkson is hilarious. I particularly love this quote...

Originally Posted by clarkson
In recent years AMG, which is a sort of tuning division within DaimlerChrysler, has been fitting most of the cars in the range with its supercharged 5.5 litre V8.

It was an absolute animal of an engine. And the animal I have in mind is the hippopotamus. Most of the time it was benign and rather lazy but when poked with a stick it would become searingly violent, very powerful and extremely noisy. Even though it was, perhaps, slightly American in character I liked it a lot.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM

E55
Clarkson is tiresome after a while - he is always the same ... predictable

He has his likes and his dislikes - if they match your's he's great otherwise hohum...

The program top gear is still lots of fun and I can stand Clarkson during the show as he's dished out in small portions - then he's lots o'fun.

The program where they tried to destroy the Toyota pickup was a classic - anyone still got a link to that show? (used to be on Utube I think).

Its strange how he has such a different opinion of the power for the 63 than the 55 - due entirely to delivery....but I can understand the NA engine getting top marks - there is just something a little "delayed" about driving our 55's compared to NA. Still when the pedal is down the 55 is a rush few cars compare to - so I am keeping mine where's that pulley kit....

Last edited by SS3E55; 10-09-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Sounds like a British Super Street article.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Andaluz
Sorry E63 bashers. But if Jeremy Clarkson loves the new E63. So it cannot be all that bad, can it?
it may not have come across in an obvious light but i don't think people were bashing the e63 as much as they were bashing mb for not delivering the car they promised.

btw, i liked the article.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Sorry to be the contrarian here, but I didn't find it either funny, or a particularly well written car review.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Seriously...I began reading the article only to find out it had nothing to do with the car...Then I just scrolled down til I saw AMG and then started reading...
Old 10-10-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Seriously...I began reading the article only to find out it had nothing to do with the car...Then I just scrolled down til I saw AMG and then started reading...
me too... his usual babble is easy to pass over (or fast forward through) until he actually talks about the car in question. I used to think he was hysterical. But every car ends up being berzerk, preposterously fast, mind bending topsy turvy blah blah blah. I'll never forget his CL65 review. But then he jumps into cars considerably slower, and rather than saying "ok, I've been testing all these 65s and this nice SLR, so moving down the food chain doesn't really do it for me", he's full of wide eyed remarks that make you wonder if he's ever been in something fast before. And that's when you realize he's half entertainer, half babbler... and oh yes, half car reviewer. 3 halves.

Loren
Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The show can be entertaining, but Clarkson bugs me because he's such an anti-American bigot.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM

An Affalterbach Beast & Others
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
The show can be entertaining, but Clarkson bugs me because he's such an anti-American bigot.
No, just British!