E63 vs. E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by limitup
I didn't buy an E63 to drag race. I bought it because it's an all-around better car than an E55. I'd trade a few tenths in the quarter mile for that any day. It's a daily driver, not a race car. Doh!

Dude, drop the attempt to rationalize. You will lose every argument for no reason. "all-around better"? OK, whatever you say. To each his own. Why can't you just be happy with what you got instead of feeling the need to justify your choice?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
Who said a racecar can't be a daily driver? It all comes down to the tuning, doh. You are just jealous of us E55 owners because yours is not as torquey as the 55s, and make less hp.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Settle down there. I was only responding to the silly posts like "Looks like you got screwed with your choice!". Clearly I could have bought an E55 if I wanted one. If I cared about a few tenths I would have kept the M5 I traded for my E63. Or the 650hp TT I traded in for the M5. I'm not trying to justify anything. I agree with you completely.

Anyone who isn't biased agrees the E63 is an all around better car. It's pointless to argue that. I could name 5 or 10 things that are better about it. They are all discussed here on the boards, and in every major review of the E63. You don't see us E63 owners wanting to swap E55 rotors or your 5 speed transmission into our cars do you?

I didn't start this crap - I only posted earlier a half-joking comment regarding the fact that there will soon be forced induction systems for the E63. Which by the way, will make it faster beyond a doubt. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

I think it's funny that everyone is arguing about a few tenths and 4 door sedans in the same sentence. In order to keep this silly thread going however I do have one final comment. It seems to me that certain E55 owners feel like THEY need to justify their E55 ownership based on their comments here.

Who said a racecar can't be a daily driver? It all comes down to the tuning, doh.
Uh yeah OK. Name one seriously fast racecar that would make a great daily driver? I'm not talking about a 4 door 12.5 second 1/4 mile sedan. Surely you're not suggesting that your E55 is a racecar are you? lol

Yeah, I know, fast is a pretty relative term. Our AMGs are "fast". But they aren't racecars. ****, they aren't even sports cars. Or wait, do I just need to add a K&N filter and catback exhaust like you did, and then I have a racecar??

Last edited by limitup; 11-14-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
If you truly believe that simply adding a supercharger will solve the speed equation, you are the one in denial. In case you forgot, the 6.2 is a high compression n/a motor, pretty sensitive to forced induction without putting up with several compromises. Another weak link is the 7-speed. If you knew any better you really would want to swap for the E55 5-speed since it can easily handle the power. It has been stated by M-B themselves the E63 transmission can't handle much more torque than the E63 is already putting out.

I'm not bashing the E63 at all. I'm just pointing out that it is not as beefy as you think it is.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey, all I said is it will be faster. I didn't say I was necessarily buying it. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I have a hard time believing the big boys are developing forced induction systems if they are going to grenade every customer's motor or tranny. Think about it ...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I have a hard time believing the big boys are developing forced induction systems if they are going to grenade every customer's motor or tranny. Think about it ...
so did a lot of people that found out the hard way. there's plenty of history on "big boys" blowing up motors by adding forced induction. maybe not the same big boys in amg circles but big boys in f/i circles and on just about every car imaginable. do some research...it just isn't plug-n-play when you're looking at f/i on top of high comp engines.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I'll say what I said before .... its incredible the amount of time spent trying to differentiate cars that are so close... and to think I am part of that process too!

O well ... I would not worry about the absolute figs as Cory said - but concentrate on the delta. Its pretty remarkable. I cannot understand given this differential how the cars perform so close. A couple of things explain the gap ...

1. Gearing
2. Heat Soak
3. Traction

If you get these 3 elements sorted on the E55 it will be quicker ... no question.

But then its a game of modification. Where do you draw the line?

Stock for stock they are just to close. At the margin the E55 can be made ALLOT quicker very easily and reliably ... perhaps even increasing reliability with a cooling mod.

The E63 mods will be more difficult. Being N/A and High Comp its going to be a change of internals to get the compression down and add turbo's - (BTW: I dont see the point of a blower on this engine ... it needs turbo's.)

In my test drive of the E63 I found the brakes marginally better, handling marginally better, steering marginally better but none of them - even combined - have encouraged me to swap out my '06 E55. Why?

On my E55 I have 285 rubber, ASP pulley coming, a 2.82 and Quaife in the pipeline. I just dont have these easy options with the E63, or the torque or the power for that matter - stock.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
[QUOTE=stevebez;1840493]

On my E55 I have 285 rubber, ASP pulley coming, a 2.82 and Quaife in the pipeline. I just dont have these easy options with the E63, or the torque or the power for that matter - stock.[/QUOTE]

Did you notice a meaningful difference with the 2.82. How much did it run you..installed? Lastly, are you expereiencing even worse traction problems...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoryU
All of you wondering what the actual HP/TQ difference between the 55 and the 63, here it is. 2007 E63 with 480 miles on the odo 100% stock. To keep it semi-accurate, the 63 plot is compared to a board memebers 2005 E55 that had a mere 130 miles on the odo, 100% stock. Let's try to keep it on topic. If you're here to say how much you hate our dyno- don't waste your time. What we're interested in is the DELTA- that's all that really matters anyway.... Enjoy!
Cory,

Which would you say would be faster? I'm guessing from a dig the E55 will outrun the 63 but after a certain amount of speed (120-140mph+) the 63 will start to pull away because of it's 7 speed correct? Sounds like the M5 huh?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Did you notice a meaningful difference with the 2.82. How much did it run you..installed? Lastly, are you expereiencing even worse traction problems...
Still in the pipeline ... reason I am waiting is 'coz tranny ecu needs to be modded... so its a bit of of a PITA. While pumkin is open may as well do the Quaife.

I think traction will still be an issue but hopefully the bigger and better rubber and Quaife will help ... I am doing the 2.82 for a better 3rd gear+ performance. It will cut vmax in 3rd by ~7mph according to my calcs... from 123-> 115.5 at 6100 or 131-> 123.25 at 6500, using stock rims and rubber.

With 19" and 285/30's its a max of 125mph in 3rd ... so for the qtr if I get more power I should be perfectly geared for it (assuming traction is not too badly affected). The diff change also makes much less of a difference on the lower ratios than the longer ones... for e.g. 1st goes from 51.51mph-> 49.23mph !

Last edited by stevebez; 11-14-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Uh yeah OK. Name one seriously fast racecar that would make a great daily driver??
Zo6. High 10's stock w/ DRs. Or is that not fast enough for you?

Lingenfelter Twin.

Ruf-anything.

And so forth.

On-topic, thanks for the dynos!!!

Last edited by ChicagoX; 11-14-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jangy
Dude, drop the attempt to rationalize. You will lose every argument for no reason. "all-around better"? OK, whatever you say. To each his own. Why can't you just be happy with what you got instead of feeling the need to justify your choice?

Jangy what on earth do you and everyone else attempt to do when you all say how the E63 is no better and slower than you E55.

You jump at the E63 bashing its tranny, saying its not any better in the chassis department, and saying how you think the E55 will hold its value better for its the last special AMG car.

This forum is just a place for E55 owners to talk about how they love their car and its ability to cover a 1/4 track. Its like watching rednecks babble about mustangs.

I agree with that guy 100% for the E63 is a step forward overall (IMHO) but no its not going to be a blazing fast drag car.

For some reason AMG buyers turned into dragsters and forgot that the car should also corner and stop like a sports car. You of all people shold see that but I know you dont think an E63 drives any better to begin with.

I almost think the E63 should get its own forum simply because they dont need to see all that bashing that E55 drivers feel obligated to dish out.

Not directing all this at you but the old battle is getting long in the tooth and its really needless. People around here are so closed minded when it comes to a car they own. Its almost like saying their E55s are not not king is equal to making fun of their retarded sister or something.

Both are nice but im just not the biggest fan of the E55. Im happy to see AMG go towards cars that are sporting in nature just not 1/4 race cars.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Jangy what on earth do you and everyone else attempt to do when you all say how the E63 is no better and slower than you E55.

You jump at the E63 bashing its tranny, saying its not any better in the chassis department, and saying how you think the E55 will hold its value better for its the last special AMG car.

This forum is just a place for E55 owners to talk about how they love their car and its ability to cover a 1/4 track. Its like watching rednecks babble about mustangs.

I agree with that guy 100% for the E63 is a step forward overall (IMHO) but no its not going to be a blazing fast drag car.

For some reason AMG buyers turned into dragsters and forgot that the car should also corner and stop like a sports car. You of all people shold see that but I know you dont think an E63 drives any better to begin with.

I almost think the E63 should get its own forum simply because they dont need to see all that bashing that E55 drivers feel obligated to dish out.

Not directing all this at you but the old battle is getting long in the tooth and its really needless. People around here are so closed minded when it comes to a car they own. Its almost like saying their E55s are not not king is equal to making fun of their retarded sister or something.

Both are nice but im just not the biggest fan of the E55. Im happy to see AMG go towards cars that are sporting in nature just not 1/4 race cars.
Please define the "every one else" comment. While Jangy is very passionate about his love for the E55- he is allowed to make his posts as long as they stay professional and do not attack anyone personally as you are allowed to make your case for the E63 (or lack of passion for the E55) which you have done more than just in this thread. This division of the forum is one of the most active places at MB World. There is no requirement that we have to like each others rides but we do need to respect each other.

Personally I dont care who has the better car but we can continue to disagree as long as we stay civil.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Why can't they make a car that go fast AND corners well? This 63/55 argument is turning into a C32/C55 argument that happened about 2 years ago. I don't think the 55 owners are bashing the 63, but Mercedes Benz and AMG did not perform up to our expectation, which made us disappointed. If we're driving a 55, most of us could easily trade it in and get a 63, so envy is out of the question.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL

i wonder how many of these morons actually have driven an e63, as we have, before dismissing its value out of hand.

stock for stock, the 63 is better without a doubt and when you begin to modify a car, comparing it with a stock car is just ridiculous. the 63 sounds better, the engine itself is more advanced, 7g is better, seats are better, rims are better, kit is better, brakes are better, etc...

what's more, drag racing in an mb is a new phenomenon championed by the 2003 crop of s/c cars. so caring about a few 1/10ths is petty.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Please define the "every one else" comment. While Jangy is very passionate about his love for the E55- he is allowed to make his posts as long as they stay professional and do not attack anyone personally as you are allowed to make your case for the E63 (or lack of passion for the E55) which you have done more than just in this thread. This division of the forum is one of the most active places at MB World. There is no requirement that we have to like each others rides but we do need to respect each other.

Personally I dont care who has the better car but we can continue to disagree as long as we stay civil.
i hear dat!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
the 63 sounds better, the seats are better, rims are better, kit is better,

really?

Last edited by Bipasha493; 11-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

Wow. You must be the only cool guy to run his car at the road course too!

Oh, wait. A lot of us do.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
i wonder how many of these morons actually have driven an e63...............what's more, drag racing in an mb is a new phenomenon championed by the 2003 crop of s/c cars. so caring about a few 1/10ths is petty.
Another "moron" without an e-class......

Last edited by ChicagoX; 11-14-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
These E55k versus E63 debates are funny. However, anyone looking to buy a brand new car will be buying an E63, period. Some guys just don't buy used no matter what the E55 dyno's at.

Hey, take that blower off the 2003+ E55 and you have the same HP and Torque I have on my 2002. Maybe, the guys with Kleemann blowers on their W210 E55's should be feeling superior (with 560HP) to E55k owners like the E55k owners appear to feel superior to E63 owners.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM

2004 E55 White
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Why can't they make a car that go fast AND corners well? This 63/55 argument is turning into a C32/C55 argument that happened about 2 years ago. I don't think the 55 owners are bashing the 63, but Mercedes Benz and AMG did not perform up to our expectation, which made us disappointed. If we're driving a 55, most of us could easily trade it in and get a 63, so envy is out of the question.
I agree with Kev04C320. The E63 is not enough of an improvement for me to trade in my E55. If the E63 would have performed better and soundly beat the M5 I would have considered it.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
What are all you E55 owners gonna do when us E63'ers start adding blowers to our cars? You guys are so paranoid now, I can't imagine what it'll be like!

Yeah, good thing. You'd be screwed if you had to drive an E63 all day lol.
you can't add a blower to a 63. the compression is too high. you'd be pushing like a 14:1 compression..not good for the motor. a twin turbo may be the trick.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 PM

CL65
I think the problem with the E63 is the transmission. I bet Mercedes didn't want to go through the same problems that BMW is having with the SMGs. I'm not a transmission designer, but it must be difficult to make a 7 speed automatic which shifts quickly that is able to withstand high power loads repeatedly.

That is why the 6th and 7th gear in the E63 are basically overdrives. If they had made the gear ratios closer(similar to the M5) with faster shifting then reliability and warranty claims become an issue. If the E63 had a transmission like the BMW it would no doubt be quicker than the E55.

Instead of a new motor, Mercedes should have put their resources into designing a 7 speed transmission with optimal gearing that could withstand the torque of the E55 motor. If they had done this I bet a lot more 55 owners would jump ship for the new model.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
i wonder how many of these morons actually have driven an e63, as we have, before dismissing its value out of hand.

stock for stock, the 63 is better without a doubt and when you begin to modify a car, comparing it with a stock car is just ridiculous. the 63 sounds better, the engine itself is more advanced, 7g is better, seats are better, rims are better, kit is better, brakes are better, etc...

what's more, drag racing in an mb is a new phenomenon championed by the 2003 crop of s/c cars. so caring about a few 1/10ths is petty.

I drove an E63 at the AMG driving event & felt/saw no positive differences other than the steering (more responsive) & handling on the track, were the E63 was significantly better. I definitely like the E55 seats better than the E63 (NO comparison), i also liked the E55 dash better, i did like the paddles on the E63 though. The power delivery was very linear on the E63, nothing like the violent burst that you get from the E55. In the end they're both great cars & there is no clear winner, just personal taste.

Also, easy on the moron remarks.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
E60 M5's rule all!!!!

(runs away and hides)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 vs. E55