W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Liquid nitrous??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 11:08 PM

97 e420
Liquid nitrous??

i was recently at autzone, and i saw that they had some liquid nitrous made by NOS (nitrous oxide systems) and it says that this additive will increase ur octane raiting by 6, and around here we get 93 premium, so that would bring our octane raiting to 99!! isnt that racing feul territory?? well the reason y i posted this here, is cause i know u guys mod ur cars alot, so i wondering if any of u guys use this, and what results u get if u do. The guy said that it safe for any car, so im thinking of buying this stuff, and its 12 bucks for 2 bottles.
Old 11-13-2006 | 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Is there a link for this stuff? I wouldnt mind trying some in my E63 to see if it can benefit from some 97 octane gas or so.
Old 11-14-2006 | 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
better read the fine print. i'm pretty sure 1 "point" equals 1/10 of the r+m/2 rating. so from 93 octane you'll go to 93.6 octane. you know the old saying..."if it sounds too good to be true..."

Last edited by chiromikey; 11-14-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2006 | 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Doesnt anyone have a link for this stuff lol.
Old 11-14-2006 | 12:40 AM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Thumbs down

Don't waste your time or money. The only additive that I know of that offers somewhat useful results is Torco.
www.torco.com
If you want race gas, you're better off buying the real thing. 5-gallons of C16 and 15-gallons of 93 will give you ~98.5 octane.
I'm not sure if the E55 ECU will add spark for an increase in octane. If not (and I doubt that it does), you'll actually lose power unless you increase boost. In an NA car, increasing the octane would be virtually useless. You'll slow to combustion to the point that ignition is actually happening when the piston has already started the power stroke.
S.

Last edited by Snorman; 11-14-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2006 | 01:41 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
lol i've used it in my maxima , it was very wierd i was driving for 3 hourse from bklyn to long island and back and it was very wierd didnt get faster at all , SO im driving already slowly not wasting my gas put it in 6th gear lol , me and my friend are half asleep lol and then this f***cking riced out honda accord started messing with me lol so i downshifted and WHOAAAAAAAAA i was liek waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat me and my friend woke up , we never felt anything like that be4 lol it rele boosted it up very much
Old 11-14-2006 | 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
I know for a fact I lost power running 100oct. recently. While I ran an 11.8 my trap decreased from 120 -> 116 on 100oct (racing fuel).
Old 11-14-2006 | 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
I know for a fact I lost power running 100oct. recently. While I ran an 11.8 my trap decreased from 120 -> 116 on 100oct (racing fuel).
Im starting to think that the higher octane we run 91/93+ we need some ECU tuning since the stock ECU can only retard the timing so much.
Old 11-14-2006 | 02:31 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
lol i've used it in my maxima , it was very wierd i was driving for 3 hourse from bklyn to long island and back and it was very wierd didnt get faster at all , SO im driving already slowly not wasting my gas put it in 6th gear lol , me and my friend are half asleep lol and then this f***cking riced out honda accord started messing with me lol so i downshifted and WHOAAAAAAAAA i was liek waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat me and my friend woke up , we never felt anything like that be4 lol it rele boosted it up very much
Sorry, but you lost me after "I've used it in my Maxima"

~ Ian
Old 11-14-2006 | 04:44 PM

97 e420
i saw some other octane boosters there, and they improved ocatne rating by 1 but this one was 6 for sure, it said on the bottle, and i asked the guy.
Old 11-14-2006 | 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Snorman
Don't waste your time or money. The only additive that I know of that offers somewhat useful results is Torco.
www.torco.com
If you want race gas, you're better off buying the real thing. 5-gallons of C16 and 15-gallons of 93 will give you ~98.5 octane.
I'm not sure if the E55 ECU will add spark for an increase in octane. If not (and I doubt that it does), you'll actually lose power unless you increase boost. In an NA car, increasing the octane would be virtually useless. You'll slow to combustion to the point that ignition is actually happening when the piston has already started the power stroke.
S.
Listen to the man with the Turbo Regal.

Do not listen to the guy with the Maxima.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 11-14-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2006 | 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Im starting to think that the higher octane we run 91/93+ we need some ECU tuning since the stock ECU can only retard the timing so much.
Retard the timing? Correct me if I'm wrong, timing needs to be advanced to be suited to higher octane. Your car will retard the timing if you use something lower than premium (i.e. 87 octane).
Old 11-14-2006 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by gujupimpster89@
i saw some other octane boosters there, and they improved ocatne rating by 1 but this one was 6 for sure, it said on the bottle, and i asked the guy.
are you seriously going to believe the claim on the bottle or some guy at an autoparts store? did you read my first post???

Originally Posted by chiromikey
better read the fine print. i'm pretty sure 1 "point" equals 1/10 of the r+m/2 rating. so from 93 octane you'll go to 93.6 octane. you know the old saying..."if it sounds too good to be true..."
even if the fine print on that particular brand doesn't admit to this, i'd be willing to bet it's accurate. there is extremely minimal gain to be had by bottled octane boosters...not enough to significanly increase octane rating of a tank of gas or warrant the price even if it was on sale. anyone that thinks they can feel a difference is simply justifying the fact they just wasted money.
Old 11-14-2006 | 05:43 PM

SL65 AMG
Does this go for the 65 motor as well? I have talked to a few guys that swear the higher oct helps the turbo cars. I ran a whold tank of 101 then went to the track and ran a 12.3@118 with a 2.05 60ft and last time I ran given I had my 100lb wife in the car and maybe another 6 gallons of fuel we ran a 12.6@114 with a 2.119 60ft? Given these times are for 5500ft. Any reason on the increase in speed other then the gas? Also I was hot lapping the car pretty bad with no rest, I would run drive up pit road then line up and race again and my time just kept dropping and dropping and I even was able to get a 1.9 60ft but my time was only a 12.4 @ 117 or 116, my last run was the fastest?
Old 11-14-2006 | 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by newton22
Retard the timing? Correct me if I'm wrong, timing needs to be advanced to be suited to higher octane. Your car will retard the timing if you use something lower than premium (i.e. 87 octane).
Correct. However, as already noted, the cars can, and will, lose power to too much octane. Remember guys, there is less energy in higher octane fuel. All motors make their max power with the lowest suitable octane. The ECU can, and will, adjust for additional octane by adding timing and/or more fuel, but only after learning the difference over time, and only by a small amount. And finally, there is no such thing as 6 octane points in a bottle of anything at the local "cheap auto", trust me.
Old 11-14-2006 | 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Does this go for the 65 motor as well? I have talked to a few guys that swear the higher oct helps the turbo cars. I ran a whold tank of 101 then went to the track and ran a 12.3@118 with a 2.05 60ft and last time I ran given I had my 100lb wife in the car and maybe another 6 gallons of fuel we ran a 12.6@114 with a 2.119 60ft? Given these times are for 5500ft. Any reason on the increase in speed other then the gas? Also I was hot lapping the car pretty bad with no rest, I would run drive up pit road then line up and race again and my time just kept dropping and dropping and I even was able to get a 1.9 60ft but my time was only a 12.4 @ 117 or 116, my last run was the fastest?
The weight of the fuel probably helped more than the octane. As far as getting faster, you might be witness to the ECU learning to run the car better. I doubt it had a whole lot of WOT time before the strip passes. In any event, a few more octane points should help, too many will definitely hurt. At least one board member commented on having hard starting issues with 100+ octane.
Old 11-14-2006 | 06:57 PM

SL65 AMG
I ran trick 101 for an entire tank say 240 miles from city driving to wot runs to 60 to highway driving. I didnt feel an difference and was wondering if I just wasted money but the numbers say different. you figure with the gas and wife I lost maybe 150lbs and I am guessing about 6 gallons at 8lbs per gallon. My 60ft didnt get any better either so who knows. I have my gas light on now and I am planning on running 1 more time this sunday, not sure if I should get more 101 or just add the 91 from the pump?
Old 11-14-2006 | 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would seriously doubt you would see any improvement beyond 93-96 octane if you were to setup a truly scientific test to verify the maximum octane the car would benefit from. On the other hand, you may have a hard time seeing the actual loss (if any) by continuing up to 100+ octane. At some point the increased octane will start to hurt max power, but really, the performance difference between 91-93 and higher octane is probably not worth the price difference.
Old 11-14-2006 | 10:27 PM

05E55
Originally Posted by Snorman
www.torco.com
S.
Agree! Octane boosters are the biggest waste of money.

I have also had success with mixing Toulene (114 octane) 10-20% w/ 91 oct. in my E36 turbo. IMO, unless your ECU is tuned for higher octane it is a waste of $$.
Old 11-14-2006 | 11:31 PM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Fast55
Remember guys, there is less energy in higher octane fuel.
That's not true. The octane rating merely indicates the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition or detonation as the mixture is being compressed. A higher octane fuel resists detonation, and allows higher compression ratios or cylinder pressures without detonation. Advancing the timing with higher octane fuel simply allows the timing event to occur at the precise point in the combustion stroke where peak power will be made. Because it's more resistant to detonation, higher octane content fuels don't ignite as spontaneously as lower octane fuels. They don't necessarily have less energy.
The ECU can, and will, adjust for additional octane by adding timing and/or more fuel, but only after learning the difference over time, and only by a small amount.
I'm not so sure I agree with this, as I can't imagine how the ECU would be able to determine the inefficiency of the timing/ignition event. I doubt that it reads EGT's or AF ratios and I also don't think they'd be impacted significantly enough by an increase in octane content. I do, however, agree that a simple knock-sensor will tell the ECU to pull timing until that audible knock subsides due to inadequate octane. As far as advancing timing, I don't think that happens.
And finally, there is no such thing as 6 octane points in a bottle of anything at the local "cheap auto", trust me.
I agree completely with this.
S.
Old 11-14-2006 | 11:37 PM

97 e420
i know that this is kind of off topic, but since the liquid nitrous doesnt help then what will? i mean i want some mods that wont cost much since im not taking the car to college, but will still make a difference, my first mod was a K&N filter and i can kind of feel a difference in response and MPG. is there anything else, platinum spark plugs?
Old 11-14-2006 | 11:38 PM

Remember guys, there is less energy in higher octane fuel.
This is not accurate. There is no fundamental relationship between octane rating and fuel energy. The amount of energy available in a fuel is determined by its hydrocarbon and oxygenate levels. In fact, a higher octane fuel has the potential to release more energy if the engine is tuned to burn it.

A more accurate statement would be there is less power produced when using a higher-octane fuel, but only if the engine is not tuned to burn it. Using a fuel with a too-high octane rating is similar to retarding the timing.
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This is not accurate. There is no fundamental relationship between octane rating and fuel energy. The amount of energy available in a fuel is determined by its hydrocarbon and oxygenate levels. In fact, a higher octane fuel has the potential to release more energy if the engine is tuned to burn it.

A more accurate statement would be there is less power produced when using a higher-octane fuel, but only if the engine is not tuned to burn it. Using a fuel with a too-high octane rating is similar to retarding the timing.
This is a more accurate way to explain it, thanks Grumpy. The point is guys, higher octane fuel has more resistance to detonate and is less volatile, so if the motor isn't setup for it, it will make less power. The auto mfgs. have several tech. bulletins regarding driveability problems related to using higher octane fule than is necessary in their cars. Again, you never want to use higher octane fuel than the car wants/needs.

The cars can and do adjust for octane, but only to a small degree. And yes, they do look at and adjust the A/F ratios. It is true, the ECU does not make significant adjustments, but it does adjust.
Old 11-15-2006 | 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I thought the MB has knock sensors and advances ignition until it senses the first sign of knocking and then retards it a touch...

It then does this about a gazillion times / sec.

The limitation is the baseline map thats used to advance the ignition ... the ECU software is preset not to advance beyond a certain point - so a euro spec car running on 95 RON (where its max advance setting is for baseline 98 RON) will gain some benefit by using 98 RON but not much benefit - if any - running 100 RON or more, unless the baseline mapping was modified to allow greater timing advance.

The gains can be pretty significant especially in F/I cars where detonation is one major limitation on reliable power.

As for additives ... I am a non believer. Better off using better fuel to start with.

Last edited by stevebez; 11-15-2006 at 11:56 AM.